Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynY2begPzoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Groper posted:

Oh it sucks for sure, mostly on account of the dilapidated housing stock, shrunken tax base and people who commute out for work and then don't pay their city taxes. There isn't enough money for the city to actually enforce said taxes, so it's pretty much a downward spiral regardless of the "investment and revitalization" going on in one small section downtown. The infrastructure is poo poo, potholes large enough to cause you to bottom out are relatively common, the police take an hour to get to you at least, and the rest of the state hates us...but my roommates and I pay 900 a month for a 3500 sq ft duplex on the edge of city limits, the drugs are cheap, hell, everything is cheap, so if you actually work for the auto industry and have student loans you want to eliminate in less than 5 years, it's not too bad a tradeoff.

It's why smart cities like San Antonio aggressively annexed surrounding suburbs.

Also the other curse of Detroit was it was less dense than larger cities and tended to be predictability car focused in terms of overall layout. Basically end up being a big problem when you have population flight.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

etalian posted:

It's why smart cities like San Antonio aggressively annexed surrounding suburbs.

Also the other curse of Detroit was it was less dense than larger cities and tended to be predictability car focused in terms of overall layout. Basically end up being a big problem when you have population flight.

It was not less dense than other, less car focused major cities in its prime. In 1950, it was only ~10-15% less dense than Philadelphia or Chicago, and it was more dense than Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or D.C.. It's problem was that it faced white flight more hardcore than any other major city. 90% white in 1950 to 75% black in 1990. There's not a lot of cities in general that are 75% black, let alone major ones. Imagine if "New York City" was just The Bronx and Manhattan north of 110th Street, while Wall Street and the rest of lower Manhattan were some suburb.

Life As Skeletor
Sep 7, 2011
yeah sure you can find abandoned and collapsing buildings in any major city but detroit has a unique aura of abject hopelessness all its own

where else can you find the downtrodden going methodically block by block stripping houses of copper

Life As Skeletor fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 17, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Accretionist posted:

Also, I don't know what you guys are talking about; Detroit seems really nice:

This building is pretty easy to spot. it's on I-75. It's the Russell Industrial Center, formerly a factory but now an art Gallery. In February I'm going to see John Waters speak there as part of a sex-themed art and performance show.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

sounds pretty tough posted:

lol pretend life in tourist area with no real culture. I just drove from here to LA and back and saw all sorts of people just like you all over the Cali coast.

Probably former Detroit residents who fled to California. We're filthy with them. Take them back, please.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Trollologist posted:

Detroit goons, please tell me more about how your city that had to declare bankruptcy and sell a bunch of pieces from its art museum is totally like any other metro area, no really, i need to believe this.

they actually managed to raise enough funds from private donors to avoid the art sell off

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

etalian posted:

"It's not dense enough"

"It should annex more, less dense area"

lol what

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

This building is pretty easy to spot. it's on I-75. It's the Russell Industrial Center, formerly a factory but now an art Gallery. In February I'm going to see John Waters speak there as part of a sex-themed art and performance show.

the russell is great, detroit has a lot of very iconic and unique venues around. parties in old factories are pretty rad. if you've never explored the russell building's insides, it's pretty big, and you can get on the roof for a cool view of the freeway and city.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i like dearborn because they bring in singers from Lebanon to entertain and there are so many hot arab chicks mad at baba

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I work just off of Big Beaver and I still chuckle every morning as I see that sign.

Same

I came to Detroit from Sydney and honestly it's really awesome. There's a shitload of delicious Arabic/Lebanese places to eat and also really really good Thai and sushi places as well. There is never a lack of things to do honestly. I'll post the pictures I took of the really cool parts of the city (and one of the run down places we took our engagement photos.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Pon de Bundy posted:

i like dearborn because they bring in singers from Lebanon to entertain and there are so many hot arab chicks mad at baba

what is their problem with sheep

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

gnarlyhotep posted:

what is their problem with sheep

Iirc baba means dad.

I dated a really cute Lebanese girl and a really cute Albanian girl; the Lebanese girls family told me to gently caress off and the Albanian girls dad showed me his rifle of some sort while telling me to never see his daughter again.

Ironically since I am ginger and have brown eyes the Lebanese family thought I was Lebanese until they heard what my name was.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I have at least two friends on Facebook who are from Michigan and constantly post articles about Why Detroit Is A Victim and Why Detroit Is Actually The Best City Trust Me and it's dumb as hell and makes me want to shout at them

Only one of them is black, mind you.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Trollologist posted:

Detroit goons, please tell me more about how your city that had to declare bankruptcy and sell a bunch of pieces from its art museum is totally like any other metro area, no really, i need to believe this.

That's what happens when people keep voting the same guy into office that's scamming the city for all it's worth. Kwame kinda pulled one of those business moves where you buy a company, bleed it dry for a while and sell it off before it crashes. Once he started to get found out for being a shitheel he basically went into "burn it all down" mode and bled it twice as hard.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
thank you detroit for inspiring thomas ligotti

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

sounds pretty tough posted:

this is just the ghetto. There isn't anything in these places that isn't in cleveland/baltimore/queens/oakland/inglewood/anywhere else where there are a lot of people living.

what's it like being such a vanillafaced whitebread honky?

It rules living in a nice place.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

babies havin rabies posted:

it's really hilarious how afraid sheltered white people from the rest of the country/canada are of detroit hth

goes to safe hipster zone, avoids black people unless they're in suits "yeah guys ahah what's the big deal you actually like nice places? ahha, get a load of this fuckin retard"

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

lol why do goons love to rate cities on the food you can get there. all cities have good food. I'd rather have infrastructure etc. than access to gyros 24/7.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

opus111 posted:

lol why do goons love to rate cities on the food you can get there. all cities have good food. I'd rather have infrastructure etc. than access to gyros 24/7.

Because they can't cook unless they get all aspie about it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i moved to Detroit 6 months ago and it rules. i get to live downtown in a big city for the same rent as my lovely place in a lovely small town. it works like Fallout: New Vegas basically. stay in the city and your fine but wander to far into the wastes and you can get in trouble

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Ramsus posted:

goes to safe hipster zone, avoids black people unless they're in suits "yeah guys ahah what's the big deal you actually like nice places? ahha, get a load of this fuckin retard"

but there's literally no reason to go to the unsafe parts of detroit. downtown is perfectly fine so basically like every other city.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 17, 2015

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

"It's not dense enough"

"It should annex more, less dense area"

lol what

detroit misses out on a shitload of taxes which reside in the outer suburbs, all of which are tiny, fully independent city-fiefdoms

annexing the surrounding suburbs would restore the funding that the city needs to operate properly. the city died after the entire middle and upper class moved out after the last riot

it's never going to happen though because iirc state law forbids this kind of thing now and multiple other political reasons

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 17, 2015

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

It would take another industrial revolution or a massive product like cars to put Detroit back. All that industrial space is what made Detroit that big in the first place. Someone needs to start buying up desolated lots and building space vehicles or some poo poo here.

Also the big 3 establishing plants and assembly lines in anywhere that inst Detroit is a dick move that they should have been called on.

What the gently caress Ford, gonna build the new engine in mexico because Canada was too expensive? What the gently caress about Detroit, Ford?

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

opus111 posted:

all cities have good food.

this is only true if you're talking cities with millions of people. there are definitely some places that have a couple hundred thousand people and not even one good restaurant.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we snuck into an abandoned theatre and took some engagement pix, it was pretty cool and the theatre was big enough that you could park a few cars up there.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
detroit is cool you don't have to obey any traffic laws at all

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bacon Hat posted:

It would take another industrial revolution or a massive product like cars to put Detroit back. All that industrial space is what made Detroit that big in the first place. Someone needs to start buying up desolated lots and building space vehicles or some poo poo here.

Also the big 3 establishing plants and assembly lines in anywhere that inst Detroit is a dick move that they should have been called on.

What the gently caress Ford, gonna build the new engine in mexico because Canada was too expensive? What the gently caress about Detroit, Ford?

Most of the car industry has moved to deep south states for the tax credits or overseas for even cheaper production costs.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Choco1980 posted:

whitepeople.txt

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Plus that art show is terrible.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'd move to Detroit if I could get a job there. I'd buy like 4 or 5 lots as close to the job as I could and create a compound to live in with a 4 car garage and a study in a turret on 3rd floor of my mansion.

The study would also house my gun collection.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Powercrazy posted:

I'd move to Detroit if I could get a job there. I'd buy like 4 or 5 lots as close to the job as I could and create a compound to live in with a 4 car garage and a study in a turret on 3rd floor of my mansion.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

etalian posted:

Most of the car industry has moved to deep south states for the tax credits or overseas for even cheaper production costs.

I want to play this game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I want to play this game.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bacon Hat posted:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

If you work in tech, you should be able to get a job that pays enough to live like a king here.

Note: property taxes in Detroit may change your mind about owning 4 or 5 lots

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I am like the most sheltered pansy ever and even then I think Detroit would be an alright place, like yeah a bunch of the city is falling apart and there's some problems with seedier parts of town but it also means you can get nice stuff for dirt cheap and the nice areas are as nice as those of any other big cities, if not better. IMO it's probably a decent area to invest in because you can fix things up and make a decent bit of cash for when inevitably younger people and hipsters that don't poo poo themselves over non-white people want to get somewhere for their own

Civic services are a big problem yeah, and I am really hoping in the coming future that things recover a bit so they actually work. On the other hand I'm surprised the place isn't extremely popular with libertarians since you can have a lot freedom to just go around and have free reign over a lot of really iconic and cool places if you're willing to put the work in (of course they don't want to do that part lol)

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I live in a town of 1000 people and Detroit scares my lily whit rear end

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Choco1980 posted:

John Waters speak there as part of a sex-themed art and performance show

scariest thing in this thread so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i love how threads like china.jpg and russia.jpg thrive with posts by the same goons that bitch and cry in threads like america.jpg and detroit.jpg

• Locked thread