Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Go Rush is so silly. Suddenly we get a tutorial about how to have a remote duel in a completely realistic way - except that it's between Earth and space. It even has latency issues. Insane.

And then it suddenly shows plot. We got our first view of The Great King of Terror. Shadowed, without talking, but considering he's served by Neil with a The☆Lukeman-style name, this is almost certainly Go Rush's version of Luke. Which, in hindsight, makes a lot of sense - who else would name themselves The Great King of Terror? Not only it has King in it, it's an insanely chuuni name.

Isn't The Great King of Terror the name used to refer to some calamity from the sky that Nostradamus predicted would destroy the world in July of 1999?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As expected, the Great King of Terror was indeed Luke’s Go Rush counterpart The Luge (who apparently has never dueled before but still kicked Rovian’s rear end regardless). Things take a turn for the serious as well as Luge proceeds to imprison her in a block of ice after she loses

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

As expected, the Great King of Terror was indeed Luke’s Go Rush counterpart The Luge (who apparently has never dueled before but still kicked Rovian’s rear end regardless). Things take a turn for the serious as well as Luge proceeds to imprison her in a block of ice after she loses

It's so weird to see someone with Luke's exact face underreacting to everything and having no knowledge of Rush Duels. It's kind of shocking in and of itself. I like how easy-going he is though, freezing everyone who loses against him nonwithstanding. I'm just not sure why his ace is just a shittier Dragias with no effect but the same stats, seems like a step down.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

drat i love yugioh sevens 2

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I kinda ducked out of a few episodes when they left Earth, saw a bit of todays episode and promptly reaslised I've got a lot of catching up to do!!!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PowerBeard posted:

I kinda ducked out of a few episodes when they left Earth, saw a bit of todays episode and promptly reaslised I've got a lot of catching up to do!!!

It's very good and very silly, I absolutely recommend catching up. I'm having a blast watching these idiots play card games with other idiots.

Just watched this week's episode. So this is clearly not another AU version, right? This is undeniably Yuuga. He even came with Kaizo who is specifically called by name, though the series dances around giving a name to That Guy. I guess it only makes sense for him to finally make an appearance when they're dueling the AU Luke, and he even got his deck back because Yuuna uses the same one. It's really nice seeing him again, even that "it's been a while!" added to Sevens Road Magician's summon chant was cute.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 19, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I fell off early because I guess I had my fill of Rush, also because the new ace cards were like 1500 atk normal monsters which I could not abide.

Instead i've been getting my card game hit from Shadowverse, which has been extremely good.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

really appreciate sevens & go rush's ability to consistently hit that note of "this is the stupidest and best thing to ever happen in a yugioh anime"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Of course the big final duel with The☆Luge would have Yuuga dive in. This is not a bad thing, I'm really excited about this development and what it means about the nature of Go Rush.

This show rules.

Skeleton Mom posted:

really appreciate sevens & go rush's ability to consistently hit that note of "this is the stupidest and best thing to ever happen in a yugioh anime"

:same:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Of course the big final duel with The☆Luge would have Yuuga dive in. This is not a bad thing, I'm really excited about this development and what it means about the nature of Go Rush.

This show rules.

they spent so much time being like "ohhh is it a sequel??? ;)" and then every time we're fully convinced it isn't, sevens road magician theme starts playing

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Skeleton Mom posted:

they spent so much time being like "ohhh is it a sequel??? ;)" and then every time we're fully convinced it isn't, sevens road magician theme starts playing

Exactly, it's so loving good. I'm actually starting to wonder if this is a prequel now after seeing the title of next week's episode.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Exactly, it's so loving good. I'm actually starting to wonder if this is a prequel now after seeing the title of next week's episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Go Rush doesn’t take place in the future of Sevens but rather the distant past. Yuga and Kaizo somehow time travelled by accident and wound up introducing Rush Duels to the world way earlier than they should have been

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the yugioh timeline is now Bonds Beyond Time -> Junior Journey -> Go Rush

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This last arc of Go Rush was wild, especially this last duel. It had such a strong sense of finality to the Rush series as a whole, with Yuga fighting alongside the Go Rush counterparts of his friends and Yuudias bringing forth everyone with him, that you'd think this was truly the end - if we didn't have a next episode preview. But even so, it's the end of the first part of Go Rush, you could call it the Zwijo Saga with how focused on him as the big bad it was, and it never left me disappointed.

Eternal Galactica Oblivion being piloted by all three protagonists with such a cool chant, while Shinkirou plays in the background, and Yuudias and Zwijo talk about the realities of war and Yuudias manages to get his point across that it only leads to sadness? So loving good. Rush Duels as a method for peace and not war pushed way harder than Arc-V ever did and working so much better too. Damamu's happiness at being born, that a duel that was meant to separate war and peace just becomes a way to have fun thanks to Yuuga's, Yuamu's and Yuuhi's efforts to make Damamu come back to life. Everything was just so good. Even the small details like having The Luge, Manabu and Rovian do their original counterparts' chants...god. What an amazing finale, not only this episode but this duel as a whole.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Now I can finally watch it. Has there been any rumblings of what comes next?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PowerBeard posted:

Now I can finally watch it. Has there been any rumblings of what comes next?

Yuudias comes back to Earth, Yuuhi and Yuamu are older now, and two new aliens arrive. The new selling point is Maximums, which have not appeared at all in Go Rush yet, with the new characters having Sea Serpents and Yuudias getting a new Magnum Overlord. To go with it, Maximums are getting a crapton of new support and becoming a viable strategy on their own instead of just being the big finish to other decks.

Story-wise we know very little, although I imagine Otes' slate and the being that created the Velgerians to battle eternally are absolutely going to come up at some point, since this episode raised them both as very important to Zwijo's crusade and Yuudias' life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, is Go Rush ending this week or is it just the end of the current arc?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Just the first season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah ok, I was about to say that seemed pretty short for a YGO series

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Wait, is Go Rush ending this week or is it just the end of the current arc?

That episode had huge series finale energy to it, but yeah, there's gonna be more show. Which is good! Go Rush, like Sevens before it, is quite good.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

the rush duel era is a real golden age for ygo anime. it isn't burdened with carrying a bloated, overcomplicated card game on its back so it gets to focus more on fun character moments & cool plot beats that aren't 20 episodes apart because of a tournament arc where every duel lasts 2 or 3 episodes. please do not be turned off by the shift in art style, i promise it is worth your time

also it's textually queer now instead of just heavily implied by things like yugi's battle city leather n chains outfit and everything to do with jaden in GX

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I honestly hope they keep the current tone for all future seasons going forward as in my opinion it’s much better this way (the concept of the franchise is inherently ridiculous, embrace it for all it’s worth)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that historically Yugioh changes tones and aesthetics between seasons. Would be a big shame to lose that imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also tournament arcs are good. Very much enjoyed the tournament in Sevens

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
For what it's worth, while it's still silly, the tone in Go Rush is quite different from Sevens.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

For what it's worth, while it's still silly, the tone in Go Rush is quite different from Sevens.

True, it takes itself a bit more seriously than Sevens did but not too seriously (which I think is a good balance though I really liked Sevens as well)

Speaking of the latter, how’s the dub out of curiosity?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

I only watched the first 3 eps and then fell off so I can believe I didn't get to what makes the show different.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Skeleton Mom posted:

the rush duel era is a real golden age for ygo anime. it isn't burdened with carrying a bloated, overcomplicated card game on its back so it gets to focus more on fun character moments & cool plot beats that aren't 20 episodes apart because of a tournament arc where every duel lasts 2 or 3 episodes. please do not be turned off by the shift in art style, i promise it is worth your time

also it's textually queer now instead of just heavily implied by things like yugi's battle city leather n chains outfit and everything to do with jaden in GX

On the the other hand Hungry Burger got support and I want my Hungry Burger Duelist.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Electric Phantasm posted:

On the the other hand Hungry Burger got support and I want my Hungry Burger Duelist.

That rando chef duelist from arc v could have been it but they were cowards

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

buddy if you want food-themed decks in rush duels i have great news for you

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sorry it's gotta be the Burger, it's been a joke since it first came out, even in the anime and it finally got support.

This is the year of Hungry Burger and I'm proud of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've never played the game but out of curiosity, how many actual cards do they include in these shows and how many do they just make up wholesale (because some seem like they'd basically be "I win" buttons in a normal duel)?

Related, have any previously anime exclusive cards eventually been brought over to the actual game?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 27, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

I've never played the game but out of curiosity, how many actual cards do they include in these shows and how many do they just make up wholesale (because some seem like they'd basically be "I win" buttons in a normal duel)?

A little of both, sometimes cards in the anime become real cards with nerfed effects i.e. The Seal of Orichalcos is a real card now but will not take the loser's soul.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

i don't care about ritual summoning, i just want to grill

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Related, have any previously anime exclusive cards eventually been brought over to the actual game?

Stupid jokes aside almost all of them at this point I think the only notable exception I can think of Valen's armor cards.

Some of Yugi's bullshit in Duelist Kingdom even became cards

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Larryb posted:

It was more common in the earlier animes, but for the most part the cards we see nowadays either are already real or quickly become real. There's still the occasional example of a one-off character getting a cool archetype that never becomes real (still wish Dark Mummies got released), and still sometimes a case of the writers giving a villain some horrendously broken piece of poo poo to add tension to a duel (lookin' at you, Ivy Bind Castle).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So are there actually some anime level broken cards in the game then or do they nerf a lot of them to make things more fair?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

So are there actually some anime level broken cards in the game then or do they nerf a lot of them to make things more fair?

A lot of the anime-origin cards get nerfed or changed effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
That said there are a lot of cards in the game that make some of the 'broken' anime cards seem really tame. Modern Yugioh is usually a 1-3 turn game and things like 'being able to special summon 30+ times in a turn' are on the lower end of the power scale compared to some of the bullshit you get. Not to mention some of the real stall cards that just grind the game to a complete stop where people will sometimes just pass their turns back and forth for 15 turns.

You also have an inverse thing where sometimes the card game buffs cards compared to the anime. Or a card that's mediocre in the anime becomes obscene in the card game.

guess which one of the Signer Dragons from 5Ds was banned for almost a decade and only recently unbanned due to heavy errata! Ancient Fairy