Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I tried to get back into the card game a while back and just couldn't find the motivation to keep up. :smith:

The game really has changed a lot from when I played it though. Mostly for the better, but I feel like they should spend less time introducing new archetypes and mechanics and more time refining what they already have. There are so many things that just got dumped.

Anyways I grew up watching the anime, and while I got off the train around the time 5Ds was starting up I'd say I enjoyed it. The original was hilariously dumb, GX had the best cheesy dub opening (sorry Beef Waifu but both The Chazz and the Ojamas were great), and 5Ds had an amazing dub opening that I still wish was longer because haha oh my god. About the only thing I have left of my once vast collection of cardboard are six holographic cards, two from each series I watched. They were important MC cards as I recall, so you can probably already guess what they are.

I read the manga too and it was neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This OP makes this show sound way better than what I remember, and also way better than the couple of episodes I just watched

I just watched the first two episodes of season 4, Yami duels some Orichalchos dude with a monocle. Is this show not for me or does that duel just suck and there's some better one I can check out to see if I still have any interest in watching dudes play collectible card games for the fate of their souls

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ninjewtsu posted:

This OP makes this show sound way better than what I remember, and also way better than the couple of episodes I just watched

I just watched the first two episodes of season 4, Yami duels some Orichalchos dude with a monocle. Is this show not for me or does that duel just suck and there's some better one I can check out to see if I still have any interest in watching dudes play collectible card games for the fate of their souls

You got the one filler arc in the entire series, and it's bad because they go beyond what is usual in making up poo poo for their card games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Season 4 has good stuff in it, but it's pretty much the duel that Joey has with Valon and Kaiba writing a check to buy a car from some dude.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tae posted:

You got the one filler arc in the entire series, and it's bad because they go beyond what is usual in making up poo poo for their card games.

You mean the second one, followed immediately by some random pink haired dude wanting to take over Kaiba corp via card games on an amusement park.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Just watched the latest Arc-V. I'm pretty disappointed Mieru didn't get to duel, since even though she's kind of annoying, I did really like her deck.

Also, I guess it technically still counts as dueling if you're holding cards, but I'm pretty sure that guy just beat the poo poo out of Yaiba. I totally expected the LDS trio to fade into obscurity, but I'm glad we get to see them interact with the cast.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I remember the first 3 seasons decently well from watching them as a kid, and next to nothing about any season after that. What's a :krad: duel I can watch if I just wanna see some dudes duel it out so they don't get attached to an anchor being sent into the ocean or get their legs buzzsawed off or turned into a card or something else hilariously dramatic and stupid

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

I remember the first 3 seasons decently well from watching them as a kid, and next to nothing about any season after that. What's a :krad: duel I can watch if I just wanna see some dudes duel it out so they don't get attached to an anchor being sent into the ocean or get their legs buzzsawed off or turned into a card or something else hilariously dramatic and stupid

Joey vs Valon, I don't remember which episodes they are, but it's like the only reason to watch Season 4.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The best dub episode of GX was episode 39, where a Christopher Walken impersonator did the voice of Don Zaloog and dueled against The Chazz.

It was pretty glorious.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I still don't understand how you have an honest to god card games school. Like, how much material can you conceivably stretch out over a school year let alone multiple years?

Also does no one have the internet or a Duel Monsters wikia in Arc-V? I don't see how cards and things like specific summon methods can just be unknown. :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beef Waifu posted:

Joey vs Valon, I don't remember which episodes they are, but it's like the only reason to watch Season 4.

Just got done watching it, the Valon duel starts on episode 169 and last 4 episodes. I forgot how heavy some of the accents are, I could've sworn Mai didn't have one.

Also if I just want to want watch the finale of 5Ds I can do that, I don't need any buildup? And which episode does it start?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just got done watching it, the Valon duel starts on episode 169 and last 4 episodes. I forgot how heavy some of the accents are, I could've sworn Mai didn't have one.

Also if I just want to want watch the finale of 5Ds I can do that, I don't need any buildup? And which episode does it start?

It's like the last three episodes, just look them up on an episode list and you'll find them. I'd honestly say you should at least watch the first two seasons and then watch it, but if you want to do it just go for it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SpazmasterX posted:

Also does no one have the internet or a Duel Monsters wikia in Arc-V? I don't see how cards and things like specific summon methods can just be unknown. :v:

Unfortunately, the entire world of Arc-V is illiterate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

I still don't understand how you have an honest to god card games school. Like, how much material can you conceivably stretch out over a school year let alone multiple years?

Everyone at the academy is a total screaming moron. Also, there's classes like 'duel alchemy'.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Everyone at the academy is a total screaming moron. Also, there's classes like 'duel alchemy'.

Don't forget about Bastion creating the perfect deck with science. :swoon:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You mean the second one, followed immediately by some random pink haired dude wanting to take over Kaiba corp via card games on an amusement park.

Kaiba vs Sigfried is just the best. Constantly one-upping each other with bullshit luck while the characters looking-on remarking at how exciting it all is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMhyIJnJAg

this edits it a bit but it's the only one on yt.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Kaiba vs Sigfried is just the best. Constantly one-upping each other with bullshit luck while the characters looking-on remarking at how exciting it all is.

:lol:

That's beautiful, I wish there was a similar edit for Jack going on about being the king.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Genocyber posted:

Holy poo poo. That dubbed voice for Siegfried is loving atrocious. I haven't seen any YGO dubbed passed the first round of Battle City and now, I know I never will.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's because at the start of that season Mai got a new voice actress.

dungeon cousin fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 15, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

SpazmasterX posted:

I don't see how cards and things like specific summon methods can just be unknown. :v:
Summon method is like a weird magic/science thing that need to be discovered with science, magic, or Heart(?).

The normal summon cards are basically made by Pegasus redrawing ancient Egyptian stone monster with his magic eye.

Jaden get his Neo sapient cards by contacting dolphin-man/ultraman alien that was also made by Pegasus.

Syncro summon's discovery somehow lead to MOMENTUM technology that is powerful enough to power/destroy the world.

Pendulum summon is still a mystery for now.

Edit : I think this is magic utilize via technology. Like a phone app that let you cast fire except in card form.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 15, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nyaa posted:

Summon method is like a weird magic/science thing that need to be discovered with science, magic, or Heart(?).

The normal summon cards are basically made by Pegasus redrawing ancient Egyptian stone monster with his magic eye.

Jaden get his Neo sapient cards by contacting dolphin-man/ultraman alien that was also made by Pegasus.

Syncro summon's discovery somehow lead to MOMENTUM technology that is powerful enough to power/destroy the world.

Edit : I think this is magic utilize via technology. Like a phone app that let you cast fire except in card form.

It's Shin Megami Tensei is what you're saying.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

AlternateNu posted:

It's Shin Megami Tensei is what you're saying.
... Yes, but as a children card game.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 15, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The monsters are from other dimension I think, so only a few of them like Yubel and the dolphin dude crossed over.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, and Xyz monsters are all from outside the galaxy and made of antimatter.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I got so confused when Xyz first showed up in Arc-V since I never saw anything of Zexal. They really could have picked a better name, since the current one led to me not being wowed by mystery goggle ninja and more of a "man I don't remember Kaiba having to do this when he used that dragon thing."

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

I got so confused when Xyz first showed up in Arc-V since I never saw anything of Zexal. They really could have picked a better name, since the current one led to me not being wowed by mystery goggle ninja and more of a "man I don't remember Kaiba having to do this when he used that dragon thing."

The name is supposed to represent the the coordinates on a star map (x-axis, y-axis, z-axis).
What's really weird is that early subs translated it as Exceed, even though there's not a single d-sound in the japanese name.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Everyone talks about Dan Green but whoever Kaiba's voice actor is is way better imo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AlternateNu posted:

Holy poo poo. That dubbed voice for Siegfried is loving atrocious. I haven't seen any YGO dubbed passed the first round of Battle City and now, I know I never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emQSCYz4TvE

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Kaiba is the coolest anime rival ever.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, the english dub for YGO is awful. I'm gonna keep seeing my latin american dub thank you so much.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The english dub for YGO is so powerful.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Man, the english dub for YGO is awful. I'm gonna keep seeing my latin american dub thank you so much.

:whitewater:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What can I say? The latin american dub was wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNZVcfWNcY

Man, those duels were hype as poo poo :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, spanish dubs for anime always have this weird sound quality to it where the voices sound like they don't mix very well with the audio in the rest of the show.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

Man, spanish dubs for anime always have this weird sound quality to it where the voices sound like they don't mix very well with the audio in the rest of the show.

To be fair, that is because is a low quality recording. They sounded perfect on the broadcast or the home releases.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Nyaa posted:

We know all we need to know about pendulum Summon: Pendulum Summon only happens in a pinch!

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

The singapore dub for YGO is so powerful.

Fixed that for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qylk_uscg

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Holy poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is to go another level beyond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU