Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Televisio Frankus posted:

Kaiba created an entire amusement park just to kill Yugi and his friends with high stakes, life or deathshadow realm laser tag. He is undeniably the greatest character in the franchise.

Don't forget he hired a team of people to play against them, offering a bounty Yugi's and pals' heads. The team consisted of a Hitman, a guerrilla combat expert and an U.S. general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's really cool that the hosed up evil spirit in yugi's puzzle has no qualms with sending people's brains into the shadow realm

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

It's really cool that the hosed up evil spirit in yugi's puzzle has no qualms with sending people's brains into the shadow realm

This but unironically.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Honestly, the shadow realm is probably worse than straight up dying.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

the wildest rear end posted:

Honestly, the shadow realm is probably worse than straight up dying.

The shadow realm is actually the party realm, true hell is wherever Zexal came from.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I just re-watched season 1's Yugi vs Pegasus and loving lol I forgot a key part of winning was the goddamn friends somehow blocking the mind reading

this is the greatest show

edit: holy poo poo that yugi-darkyugi air high five miss :lol:

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 16, 2015

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Haha okay so I just watched the fortune teller duel in Arc-V. "My god! What will I do with this worthless Polymerization card? WAIT! I've had a fusion monster sitting in my extra deck for no reason this entire time!" Really made more sense in the original series when they they never mentioned the extra deck at all and just pulled fusion monsters out everywhere.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Haha okay so I just watched the fortune teller duel in Arc-V. "My god! What will I do with this worthless Polymerization card? WAIT! I've had a fusion monster sitting in my extra deck for no reason this entire time!" Really made more sense in the original series when they they never mentioned the extra deck at all and just pulled fusion monsters out everywhere.

Look, it's not as if you actually put fusion cards in the extra deck. They just spontaneously materialise there when you fuse two plot-appropriate monsters. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 16, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They just spontaneously materialise there when you fuse two plot-appropriate monsters. :colbert:
This is apparently legal and not considered cheating. I recall some even materialize right in the hand with the opponent watching. :pseudo:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nyaa posted:

This is apparently legal and not considered cheating. I recall some even materialize right in the hand with the opponent watching. :pseudo:

Don't forget about cards literally burning to dust and/or rematerialising through the magic of holograms! :science:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Half the cards in Yuya's hand spontaneously transformed into entirely new, never-before-seen, presumably not offically printed cards in the first episode of Arc-V and that was just accepted as the way things are done now.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dabir posted:

Half the cards in Yuya's hand spontaneously transformed into entirely new, never-before-seen, presumably not offically printed cards in the first episode of Arc-V and that was just accepted as the way things are done now.

Look, they worked in the machine that monitors all dueling and tracks fake cards and whether every move is legal, so clearly it was all above board. Just because no one, not even the people running the system had ever heard of Pendulum summoning or seen or printed any of these cards doesn't mean they're illegal, the computer accepted it all so it all checks out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SpazmasterX posted:

The impression I got was that Rune-Eyes Pendulum Dragon appeared because of some magic medallion bullshit, the same way his monsters became Pendulum in the very first episode. Wheter thisis a better or worse explanation is up to you.
If anyone else is watching Arc-V, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Personally, I think it's incredibly well made, especially considering that at the end of the day it's meant to be a particularly complex commercial for a card game.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

What's REALLY great is that all of 4kids regular VAs were hired as voice actors for Valkyrie Profile. It was totally great playing that, and getting to a big dramatic scene, and suddenly hearing Ash's voice come out of someone.

The best was the guy clearly setup to be a main antagonist in the sequel... with Meowth's Voice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

Look, they worked in the machine that monitors all dueling and tracks fake cards and whether every move is legal, so clearly it was all above board. Just because no one, not even the people running the system had ever heard of Pendulum summoning or seen or printed any of these cards doesn't mean they're illegal, the computer accepted it all so it all checks out.

Is it really any worse then the son of the owner of leo corp having cards made for him and simultaneously being the best player in the world thanks to them?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That poo poo's traditional. Toon monsters, anyone?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Xoidanor posted:

Is it really any worse then the son of the owner of leo corp having cards made for him and simultaneously being the best player in the world thanks to them?

Uh, yes? Sort of? I mean that's worse in a different way. The way Yuya's stuff works is weird because it's something that's legal despite no one knowing anything about it. His cards should never have existed, they were never printed by anyone as far as we know, the summoning method is one that the company in charge of Duel Monsters in the show knows nothing about, despite controlling the massive computer that automates duels.

Someone getting their father who is involved in makingcards to make special OP cards for you is jerkish and really spoiled and stuff, but it's not the same tier.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think you're forgetting about the cards literally being brought in from different dimensions being legal according to the machine as well. :v:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I always thought they just made up the polymerizations

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Xoidanor posted:

I think you're forgetting about the cards literally being brought in from different dimensions being legal according to the machine as well. :v:

Now wait just a second; I thought that XYZ monsters coming from another dimension was a card game lore thing, something that is only true in the same setting where Dark Magician and Entermate Whip Viper are real entities; not something that is accepted as true in the same place where Yuya and Gongenzaka live.

...right? :tinfoil:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Naw he means yuto, sora and kurosakis cards.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is a mix of both actually.

There are fusion, XYZ and Synchro monsters on Yuya's dimension, but those are restricted to the people on LSD academy. Then you have the cards hold by the Rebellion people and Yugo that are cards never seen before on Yuya's dimension.

So I guess that Leo Corporation servers have info about every card in existance in the multiverse.

:catdrugs:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

paradoxGentleman posted:

The impression I got was that Rune-Eyes Pendulum Dragon appeared because of some magic medallion bullshit, the same way his monsters became Pendulum in the very first episode. Wheter thisis a better or worse explanation is up to you.
If anyone else is watching Arc-V, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Personally, I think it's incredibly well made, especially considering that at the end of the day it's meant to be a particularly complex commercial for a card game.

I still find it hard to believe I care about a loving Yugioh plot. The writing seems less awkward than I remember it being in the first series. Sure, it was really stupid and funny then, but it seemed less interesting in general. I guess it's because the Pharoah had to hold up the cast, and he didn't have a particularly interesting personality. This time around, you've got a pretty good cast of guys that all seem to matter.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I remember not caring very much about the new Yugioh series until someone told me on Skype that in episode 34, someone carpet bombs a child.

Context, please.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pv4LjRbET8

Card games are serious business

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Child possibly murdered a dude's sister and lots of his friends and legit destroyed his city. They get to play card games in a tournament so he drops a skyscraper on the child after said child pulled off marik faces.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

marik faces.

Someone should gather all of those up.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Someone should gather all of those up.

Well, there's this image I had lying around showing some of them.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Kaiba can throw cards so hard he can disarm guards with them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Kaiba can throw cards so hard he can disarm guards with them.

That isn't so much Kaiba being skilled as it is reality bending to his will.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Xoidanor posted:

That isn't so much Kaiba being skilled as it is reality bending to his will.

See also: jamming a gun with a card, and his being more concerned about said card being damaged.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Devack threw a card at chains in 5Ds and shattered them with it, cards have the power to do anything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

See also: jamming a gun with a card, and his being more concerned about said card being damaged.

Kaiba is the best.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The manga owned, it's kinda disappointing in retrospect that all of it was forgotten at the start of Battle City.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kaiba is the best.

And now I know what a painfully literal translation looks like! :v:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

The manga owned, it's kinda disappointing in retrospect that all of it was forgotten at the start of Battle City.

I really wish Joey would just never forgive Kaiba for Death-T, just everything remains the same but every now and then Joey reminds people that Kaiba is a jerk that tried to kill them several times in a tower of shenanigans.
"The other me and I will have to work hard to defeat Kaiba this time... but that's what makes it so thrilling"
"Yeah, hope this time he doesn't hire a loving murderer and holds Tristan's nephew hostage while swinging chainsaws at us. Anyone got snacks? I ain't touching shitthey try to feed us after the whole "i was five minutes away from dying thanks to mokuba's food poison game." oh well, hope you enjoy the card game Yugi, this time I might not have a gun pointed at my head during the whole thing!"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So something has been bugging me for a while, what exactly is the concept behind Synchro and XYZ? Like, with Fusion, the monsters are literally supposed to be fusing together to make one monster, but Synchro and XYZ both seem to be the exact same thing? Is it just two different names for what already existed in the game?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I really wish Joey would just never forgive Kaiba for Death-T, just everything remains the same but every now and then Joey reminds people that Kaiba is a jerk that tried to kill them several times in a tower of shenanigans.
"The other me and I will have to work hard to defeat Kaiba this time... but that's what makes it so thrilling"
"Yeah, hope this time he doesn't hire a loving murderer and holds Tristan's nephew hostage while swinging chainsaws at us. Anyone got snacks? I ain't touching shitthey try to feed us after the whole "i was five minutes away from dying thanks to mokuba's food poison game." oh well, hope you enjoy the card game Yugi, this time I might not have a gun pointed at my head during the whole thing!"

Don't forget about Kaiba's butler getting killed by Tristan's cousin/brother(/son???) literally making GBS threads on his lap.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nyaa posted:

Pegasus is voice by James from team rocket.

Holy poo poo, that's also the case in the French dub.

Edit: wait no, he voiced Tristan.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Kurtofan posted:

Holy poo poo, that's also the case in the French dub.

Edit: wait no, he voiced Tristan.
I got that wrong, yea.