Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

What's silly is that any previous year where a team beat #1 and #2 to end the season they'd be the least controversial national champion ever, but because a "lovely big 10 team" did it now people are crying that it doesn't count because they didn't also beat #6.

Now you're gettin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

sexy mouse posted:

It's not that silly, it's what actually happened. No one knows what would've happened in the other scenario.

Sure but using wins against teams they hadn't played yet to defend the resume used to make the selection is asinine.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Div III Kalamazoo beat Hope 30 - 29
Div I - FBS Virginia Tech beat Ohio St 35 - 21

CELEBRATE WITH BELLS!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I remember when I thought the playoffs would resolve "x team should have been in" arguments. I was so young then. So full of life

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Emron posted:

I remember when I thought the playoffs would resolve "x team should have been in" arguments. I was so young then. So full of life

Clearly going to 8 teams will solve everything.

Clearly.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Emron posted:

Meh, 4 team worked fine, who cares what some co-champ thinks. I am not sure that going to 8 and adding another game is better, if they do it then they should add scholarships.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Emron posted:

Haha I said from the very beginning that all it does is shift the bitching from the 3rd and 4th ranked teams to the 5th and 6th. Or the 9th and 10th. And so on.

It really doesn't help that the 4 seed won the first ever playoff either.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If OSU doesn't get in Baylor gets the nod. TCU had no top wins and lost the tiebreaker to Baylor, which is why all the polls had TCU ranked lower than Baylor. The only reason people are clinging to TCU right now is because they won a bowl and Baylor didn't, but that obviously hadn't happened yet when the teams were picked.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Emron posted:

This problem was going to happen regardless.

But it's a better problem to have really.

Also Ohio State would have DESTROYED TCU and Baylor. So the point is moot.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Div III Kalamazoo beat Ohio St

Congrats on the title, Kalamazoo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress. OSU won? We thought we had a better system, but what has our hubris wrought???

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mahoning posted:

Haha I said from the very beginning that all it does is shift the bitching from the 3rd and 4th ranked teams to the 5th and 6th. Or the 9th and 10th. And so on.

It really doesn't help that the 4 seed won the first ever playoff either.

It also doesn't help that the 3rd ranked team was clearly there on luck and little else, and the 4th ranked team lost to a team that ended the season with a losing record.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Under the old system we probably would have had Bama vs FSU in the championship, so the playoffs are cool in my opinion. With four teams, every power-5 team pretty much controls their own destiny at the beginning of the season and complaining that you didn't make the playoffs after dropping a game is dumb.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Put a little more effort into the OP.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
There is seriously no argument for taking Ohio State out of the CFP that doesn't also discount TCU via their loss to Baylor.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Xombie posted:

There is seriously no argument for taking Ohio State out of the CFP that doesn't also discount TCU via their loss to Baylor.

Baylor isn't Virginia Tech.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Strobe posted:

It also doesn't help that the 3rd ranked team was clearly there on luck and little else, and the 4th ranked team lost to a team that ended the season with a losing record.

Virginia Tech ended over .500.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also "But the #6 team beat a 9-3 team from the overrated SEC" is a really silly argument.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I was honestly expecting Cardale Jones to be transferring rather than declaring. I think it would be a better long term move for him. He needs to get some coaching some someone who has a proven ability to develop quarterbacks for the next level, someone who has a history of sending kids to the NFL but also someone who isn't already wed to their starter.

Someone like Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is all true.

Scarf posted:

Clearly.
Actually it would.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Emron posted:

Nobody actually thought that a 4 team playoff would completely get rid of those arguments. I mean, there are 5 power conference champions, someone's obviously going to get screwed. Still a better situation than having a system where Alabama or FSU would have been this year's champion.

Scarf posted:

Clearly.
Yeah it would be pretty awesome actually.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Strobe posted:

Baylor isn't Virginia Tech.

Which is why I didn't say they were. If you take out Ohio State because of their loss to VT, there is no argument for putting TCU in ahead of Baylor, who they lost to.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xombie posted:

Huh? Ohio State had by far the worst loss among them, Alabama, Oregon, and TCU.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Thoguh posted:

The Wisconsin win was also a much better win than TCU had, which tilted the balance.

Ohio State would have been #4 in the BCS too.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Which pretty clearly shows the fault in trying to discount teams based on one-off losses in the early season. The point is that if you make these losses matter more, then the logic should carry to deciding between two teams who actually played against each other. Ergo, Baylor over TCU for #4.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 13, 2015

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Democrazy posted:

I was honestly expecting Cardale Jones to be transferring rather than declaring. I think it would be a better long term move for him. He needs to get some coaching some someone who has a proven ability to develop quarterbacks for the next level, someone who has a history of sending kids to the NFL but also someone who isn't already wed to their starter.

He would have to sit a year and being 22 already that isn't an option. if he wants to transfer he has to go to D2 then likely leave after destroying the competition there.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
People foolishly believed that the playoff committee was going to take their previous rankings into consideration.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
An 8 team playoff would be better but there's always going to be bickering, this time over which three teams that placed second in their conference (or Notre Dame, or a lesser conference champion, or 1 or 2 loss teams that didn't win their divisions) deserve the at-large spots.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pakled posted:

An 8 team playoff would be better but there's always going to be bickering, this time over which three teams that placed second in their conference (or Notre Dame, or a lesser conference champion, or 1 or 2 loss teams that didn't win their divisions) deserve the at-large spots.
Still three whole spots though. One for every conference champ and three more for the best remaining SEC teams. No one can really complain then.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Democrazy posted:

As funny as that would be, transferring within division would require him to sit out a year and then have a senior year at age 24 to impress people. He'd be better served under a NFL coaching staff for those 2 seasons in my opinion. He needs to go to Arizona and develop his gently caress it, goin deep skills.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Ohio State that lost to Virginia Tech is not the Ohio State that demolished Michigan State, Alabama, and Oregon. You people are whiny as gently caress. Maybe you should be complaining about FSU getting into the playoff instead, despite being undefeated. It isn't Ohio State that undeservingly got into the playoff. Clearly, they were a better team than Alabama and Oregon. Both of whom were favored by 7-10 points, I think.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Komet posted:

The Ohio State that lost to Virginia Tech is not the Ohio State that demolished Michigan State, Alabama, and Oregon. You people are whiny as gently caress. Maybe you should be complaining about FSU getting into the playoff instead, despite being undefeated. It isn't Ohio State that undeservingly got into the playoff. Clearly, they were a better team than Alabama and Oregon. Both of whom were favored by 7-10 points, I think.

ohio state lost to virginia tech lol

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Clearly a sleeping giant looms in blacksburg.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We can go around in circles all day but really because of the four-team playoff you can't really say a single team that was in this playoff didn't deserve it. FSU was poo poo, but they were an undefeated big 5 conference champion. That will get you into the playoff literally 100% of the time. Ohio State had a bad loss, but they finished their season really strong, blowing out Wisconsin in the championship game. Oregon was Oregon and Alabama was Alabama. All those teams had one loss. You can't say "none of those teams deserved to get in" when you look at their resumes.

The Big 12 just got screwed because there's only 4 spots and no championship game. There really needs to be 8.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

I wouldn't have really had a problem with Baylor, OSU, or TCU getting that last slot, but I think you can make an argument that OSU's body of wins was more impressive than Baylor's, or certainly TCU's. Yeah, maybe OSU's brand helped them a but, but I think we're veering into hot take territory to say a grave injustice was done here.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think we should all agree that there should be 8 spots and move on with our lives. Sure, fans of the #9 team will complain, but I feel an 8 seed has a much less likely shot at beating a 1 seed in a larger playoff.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

JT Jag posted:

This is all true.
Actually it would.

I think it's the right move. It won't solve everything. But it's the right move.

There's always going to be some unexpected bullshit scenario that will cause someone to be upset.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Komet posted:

I think we should all agree that there should be 8 spots and move on with our lives. Sure, fans of the #9 team will complain, but I feel an 8 seed has a much less likely shot at beating a 1 seed in a larger playoff.

If they expand to 8 teams there needs to be an autobid for a group of five champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

If they expand to 8 teams there needs to be an autobid for a group of five champ.
Definitely agree. 5 autobids, 3 at larges.

• Locked thread