Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ohio State is victorious in history's first College Football Playoff. Much of the praise has to go to Urban Meyer for rebuilding that program according to tried and true SEC principles. It is truly gracious of the SEC to share their secrets with the lesser conferences, but at the very least this championship proves that even the reviled Big 10 can rise to greatness if they accept the SEC into their heart.

The streak of SEC National Championships stands at 9. The new era of SEC Dominance began in TYOOL 2006.

2006 - Florida
2007 - LSU
2008 - Florida
2009 - Alabama
2010 - Auburn
2011 - Alabama
2012 - Alabama

Bored of such dominance, aware that it was completely bereft of fitting rivals, the SEC decided to create ones of their own. So began the seeding project. Great minds from the SEC were spread throughout the other conferences, to spread the knowledge and arts of the SEC, to give the SEC a challenge. And finally, a challenge they had.

2013 - FSU, coached by Nick Saban disciple Jimbo Fisher, was the first non-SEC team to win a National Championship in years, but only by abandoning the weak ways of the ACC.
2014 - Ohio State, coached by two-time SEC Champion Urban Meyer (also two time National Champion), brought the SEC to the Big 10, and returned that moribund conference to national success as result.

What's next? Will the PAC-10 accept the teachings of the SEC and reach prominence? The Big 12? Anyone can reach the big stage, if only they accept that their traditional ways are inferior to the SEC's, and accept the necessary changes into their heart.

Here's the first preseason top 25 I found, ESPN hasn't done one yet: http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/2015-preseason-top-25

1. Ohio State
2. TCU
3. Alabama
4. Baylor
5. Michigan State
6. FSU
7. Oregon
8. Georgia Tech
9. Georgia
10. LSU
11. Auburn
12. Mississippi State
13. Arizona State
14. Notre Dame
15. Ole Miss
16. Arizona
17. Arkansas
18. UCLA
19. Clemson
20. Mizzou
21. Wisconsin
22. Tennessee
23. USC
24. Texas A&M
25. NC State

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I dunno man talk to the random-rear end website who vomited up a preseason top 25 before the National Championship Game finished not me

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I'm cool with Cardale Jones winning. He's cool. gently caress Tebow being on OSU's sideline. Made me almost switch over to Oregon for a second.
OSU is basically Late-2000s Florida North, so I don't see the problem.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Well I am going to put these in here then. Cardale and Zeke own, Go Bucks :toot:

Congratualtions on your championship, honorary SEC team fan

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pakled posted:

Here's ESPN's way too early preseason rankings.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12138345/tcu-leads-2015-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

Commence the incessant bickering.
I'm not replacing the one I found originally, this is even worse

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Here's the Official TFF Top 124.

1. North Dakota State
2-14. The MAC
15. Mike Leach
16-20. Option Football
21-123. Garbage Teams Nobody Cares About
124. Notre Dame
This is solid though

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Butthead posted:

Is Alabama still good enough to beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?
Is the game at Bryant-Denny?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

Some neutral site. let's say Jacksonville, Florida.
Away: Alabama loses by like 100
Neutral: Alabama loses by like 70
Home: Alabama loses by like 30, keeps it close for a quarter

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cardale Jones is a redshirt sophomore, huh?

Honestly... it's not the craziest idea in the world for him to declare right now. I mean, it's not a good idea for his development as a professional player, he clearly needs more experience, but his hype is through the roof, his stock can literally only go down from here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Put a little more effort into the OP.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is all true.

Scarf posted:

Clearly going to 8 teams will solve everything.

Clearly.
Actually it would.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Huh? Ohio State had by far the worst loss among them, Alabama, Oregon, and TCU.
The Wisconsin win was also a much better win than TCU had, which tilted the balance.

Ohio State would have been #4 in the BCS too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pakled posted:

An 8 team playoff would be better but there's always going to be bickering, this time over which three teams that placed second in their conference (or Notre Dame, or a lesser conference champion, or 1 or 2 loss teams that didn't win their divisions) deserve the at-large spots.
Still three whole spots though. One for every conference champ and three more for the best remaining SEC teams. No one can really complain then.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We can go around in circles all day but really because of the four-team playoff you can't really say a single team that was in this playoff didn't deserve it. FSU was poo poo, but they were an undefeated big 5 conference champion. That will get you into the playoff literally 100% of the time. Ohio State had a bad loss, but they finished their season really strong, blowing out Wisconsin in the championship game. Oregon was Oregon and Alabama was Alabama. All those teams had one loss. You can't say "none of those teams deserved to get in" when you look at their resumes.

The Big 12 just got screwed because there's only 4 spots and no championship game. There really needs to be 8.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

If they expand to 8 teams there needs to be an autobid for a group of five champ.
Definitely agree. 5 autobids, 3 at larges.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

I'm not really comfortable with unpaid college players playing a 16 game season though, 15 is crazy enough seeing as the champ game happened during classes. If they want to go to 8 then they should removed a regular season game (would never happen, bad teams would hate losing revenue) or at least change up the schedule.
The first playoff round could happen in December, perhaps.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

I am down with this. As someone involved with a smaller school though, would you be able to pay athletes the same as OSU? Would you consider it unfair if OSU paid them more?
This is one of the biggest problems facing the NCAA. A lot of the Big Five schools want to pay players. They've proposed as much at NCAA meetings. They always get shot down by the smaller schools that can't afford it and outnumber them. The longer this goes on, the more the NCAA risks the Big Five just leaving one day to make their own governing institution, with blackjack, and hookers. In fact, forget the governing institution.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

gently caress the mid-majors, no auto-bid for them, three at larges.

(eh I'd be ok with it I guess)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Wait, why do you want the mid-majors out of the FBS?
The Big 5 would be able to make their own rules, rules like paying players, a lot easier if they had an entire subdivision to themselves. Mid-majors should move to an entirely separate subdivision, linked to the Big 5 only in postseason bowl game tie-ins, and then the FCS, and then Division III.

We could even start calling them Divisions 1-A and 1-AA again

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 13, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MourningView posted:

No one complies with Title IX right now anyway.
I have a friend who does technical support work for the Florida athletic department, and he talked about how the men's basketball games are catered better than woman's basketball. I told him he should report it under Title IX. We both laughed for like 5 minutes. That's about as nerdy a sports joke gets.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

go3 posted:

TCU would have loving clowned Oregon, Alabama or FSU
I mean, TCU lost to Baylor, Baylor also lost, the Big 12 doesn't have a proper tiebreaker to determine these sorts of situations anymore, because they don't have a championship game and their old tiebreaker was highest ranked in the BCS. And they refused to declare head to head as the deciding factor in the event of a tie of two highest ranked teams. And the selection committee isn't ok with co-champions. So I guess we'll just never know how TCU could have done in the playoff! Keep fantasizing though. Maybe next year. Hope for an eight team playoff, maybe there'll be an autobid for the Big 12 Actually 10 Though then!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

swickles posted:

Can we stop saying that Alabama was in a poo poo conference. You can say it was in a poo poo division, afterall the SEC East was undefeated in bowl games. Don't know why you all are hung up on the west so much when the East is clearly carrying the conference and its brand.
Actually all of the SEC East and West schools secretly switched jerseys for bowl season to see if anyone would notice. They did.

I think that was actually South Carolina playing Ohio State.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

swickles posted:

Yeah, Alabama would have beaten Utah and Oklahoma in a beatdown had it been for the title. /kentucky was admittedly a bad loss, but losing to the best RB in college football and a really good offense wasn't as egregious as you make it seem. LSU still had solid wins over some very good teams. Virginia Tech's losses were worse, which leads back to the age old argument of which is better: good losses vs. bad wins.
Some teams might lose good. Some times might win bad. The argument of Ohio State versus TCU was not good losses versus bad wins, however. It was a bad loss, singular, and multiple good wins versus a good loss, singular, and what was perceived as "bad wins". The team with the better wins on its resume was more impressive to the committee than the team with the better loss. If Ohio State hadn't blown the gently caress out of Wisconsin, TCU probably would have gotten in.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

swickles posted:

I am not making a single argument about this year, who should have been in or what. I am only responding to the notion that LSU shouldn't have been in the NCG in 2007. Thats all. I care nothing about TCU or Baylor or anything about them.
Oh, sorry, this thread has conditioned me to jump to weird conclusions. I saw a post about the postseason selection, blacked out, and when I woke up a minute later I had made a post about Ohio State and TCU.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Winkie01 posted:

You would have to be a damned idiot to draft a Urban Meyer qb in the 1st round.
Meyer and the offensive system he runs does absolutely nothing to prepare quarterbacks for the NFL. Never has, never will, and he is absolutely unapologetic for it. Alex Smith is probably the best NFL prospect he will ever produce.

So... you know. Everyone should keep that all in mind.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Eltoasto posted:

Alex Smith is also better than 95% of qb's drafted in any given year.
It also took him four whole years before he became even close to a serviceable starting quarterback, six years before he became 'kinda good'. Meyer QBs aren't NFL ready out of the box.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Komet posted:

Are we sure Cardale Jones isn't a 40 year old man?
I bet you said the same thing about LeBron James when he was 22. Racist.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cardale's next announcement will be that he's transferring to Michigan. That'd be the greatest troll move of all time, and also a great career move.
He'd have to sit a year if he transferred in conference so actually no

I think he'd have to sit a year if he transferred anywhere, actually, considering he hasn't completed his undergrad.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

He'd have to sit a year unless he transferred to the FCS.

It'd be a great career move because Harbaugh is the Quarterback Whisperer, not because he'd be able to start next season.
He's already 22. He'd be a 24-year-old redshirt senior with one full year starting (if that) if he transferred anywhere. Great career move.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Shouldn't have had them revoked anyway.
Ugh.

Here's the problem. Probably not? The NCAA didn't have much authority in the rulebook to punish this sort of matter. But hey, they decided to swing their big dicks around in order to get that publicity. And now that they think it's safe, they're undoing it so they don't have to make it a precedent. It's loving cowardly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're being more or less forced to at gunpoint, in their defense.

Still, as I said back when this was all a hot topic -- it was really, really stupid idea to punish Penn State extra-judicially that would, long-term, undermine the credibility of the organization. And I was tarred and feathered for it.

Forgive me while I laugh my rear end off.

Let's be fair, what did that have to do with what happened on the field? I mean we all know it happened and it will forever be on his legacy anyway. What did "taking away his wins" really do?
You were right. And I think I actually agreed with you at the time, though I wasn't as vocal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Whenever I get really mad about Penn State, I try to keep things in perspective. What if a single member of the university I liked did something horrible, and no actual NCAA rules were broken in the process? Coverup or no, I wouldn't want to give the NCAA the authority to punish a school as hard as they want in an arbitrary manner entirely based on the climate of public opinion, as is what happened in the Penn State case. Because it's the NCAA, and gently caress the NCAA.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

One thing is their job, the other isn't. I am not sure how much clearer that has to be made.
Well, it'd probably their job if someone on the active staff was the child rapist. But that wasn't (in a provable manner) the case.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Even then it wouldn't be an NCAA issue. Even if it involved a loving player being the chimo.
When you get to the point where someone on-staff is using school facilities to do stuff like that, you can very easily justify lack of institutional control charges. Not so much for what actually went on, really.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dying in shame and embarrassment, your legacy ruined, hated by everyone: a slap on the wrist according to goons.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't even a slap on the wrist. That is literally nothing.
His wins were stripped and Penn State was under investigation for poo poo he did when he died. Everything he had built in his entire life, his entire carefully maintained reputation, crumbled away in front of his rheumy eyes. "Literally nothing".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joe Paterno wakes up, to learn that the news has broken, someone has learned about the cover up. The curtain is going to fall on his reputation. He can fight it, but... it's only a matter of time. He is ruined. And then he looks outside. Fire. He is in Hell.

This is how he wakes up every day now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Imagine a world without Alabama football. Dream of this utopia.
Imagine Batman without the Joker. You want to be rid of Bama. But you just can't just kill it, because then it wins, knowing it has dragged you down to its level. You feel the absurd, noble need to defeat the Tide nobly! Alabama, on the other hand, have no such compunctions. If you got rid of Alabama, you'd miss it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Sorry, Bama isn't ND.
Notre Dame went missing for 20 years and no one cared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Naw people would hate them as any program that regularly wins and love them as any underdog.

Urban seemed to do a real good job of playing up the disrespect card in private to fire the team up but having everyone be really measured in public, like even after they won no one really came across like a cocky rear end in a top hat.
If you feel awkward about rooting for Ohio State, just pretend Ohio State is an SEC Team that has been lovely for years that Urban started coaching and now they're good.

Pretend Ohio State is Kentucky or something. Kentucky football not Kentucky basketball.

• Locked thread