Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Georgia Tech is all set to end a season ranked in the top 10 for the first time since 1998. :toot:

Well, SOMEONE'S gotta take up UNC's perennial ACC dark horse from North Carolina status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Here's ESPN's way too early preseason rankings.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12138345/tcu-leads-2015-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

quote:

1. TCU
2. Ohio State
3. Baylor
4. USC
5. Oregon
6. Michigan State
7. UCLA
8. Georgia
9. Clemson
10. Alabama
11. Ole Miss
12. Notre Dame
13. Arizona
14. Auburn
15. Arizona State
16. Wisconsin
17. LSU
18. Georgia Tech
19. Florida State
20. Boise State
21. Arkansas
22. Utah
23. Tennessee
24. Oklahoma State
25. Minnesota

Commence the incessant bickering.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Here's the Official TFF Top 124.

1. North Dakota State
2-14. The MAC
15. Mike Leach
16-20. Option Football
21-123. Garbage Teams Nobody Cares About
124. Notre Dame

I am okay with this.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
An 8 team playoff would be better but there's always going to be bickering, this time over which three teams that placed second in their conference (or Notre Dame, or a lesser conference champion, or 1 or 2 loss teams that didn't win their divisions) deserve the at-large spots.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What would the FBS allowing schools to pay players mean for other NCAA sports? Wouldn't basketball and baseball programs be pissed? Would it matter that they don't like it? Or hell, what about Title IX? Seems like if they started paying football players, wouldn't they have to also pay players in some womens' sports as well?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
N: Postseason AP Poll is out. http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

quote:

1. Ohio State
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama
5. Michigan State
6. Florida State
7. Baylor
8. Georgia Tech
9. Georgia
10. UCLA
11. Mississippi State
12. Arizona State
13. Wisconsin
14. Missouri
15. Clemson
16. Boise State
17. Ole Miss
18. Kansas State
19. Arizona
20. USC
21. Utah
22. Auburn
23. Marshall
24. Louisville
25. Memphis

V:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So does the NCAA not have a rule against covering up criminal activity that would have a negative PR affect on the school and thus impact recruiting? Because if they don't, then they should.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

computer parts posted:

The last 3 or 4 ones once the wins get vacated due to recruiting violations?

He's probably referring to seasons like 1941 where they went 9-2 and finished #3 in the SEC and #20 in the country in the AP Poll but claim the national championship anyway, or 1964 when, as #1 they lost the Orange Bowl to #5 Texas (while #2 Arkansas beat #6 Nebraska) and claimed the national championship anyway, or 1973 when, as #1, they lost the Sugar Bowl to #3 Notre Dame and claimed the national championship anyway.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You guys think Spurrier has another 20 seasons or so in him so he can rightfully get that record?

He needs to have head coaching stints at Auburn and GT for the circuit to be complete.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

Now I'm curious who else has a 1-1-1 series record. That has to be a vanishing small group.

UGA is evidently 1-1-1 against Centre, which is now in Division 3.

E: This site is a good resource for finding this kind of stuff

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

C. Everett Koop posted:

We don't have a Fulmer Cup thread anymore since Spencer stopped doing it and I decided that assigning point totals to gang rapes was too much even for me, and I post in GBS.

If someone wants to start an Offseason Legal Transgressions thread, more power to you.

For what it's worth, I think the "official" Fulmer Cup has moved here.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Strawberry Panda posted:

So what the hell do we talk about until August?

Players saying dumb things. Coaches saying dumb things. Players getting arrested. Arguing about how TCU or Baylor would have fared in the playoffs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

We do need to build him up more if we want to see a proper Jameis-like crash...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

No joke, Chik-fil-a should use this in their advertising.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Hahahahaha yesssss

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
E: ^^^^^ This is the best option.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It's loving stupid and proof that if you're going to be a 14 team league you need a 9 game schedule so that every team sees the entire conference within a 5 year swing. It's appalling that this hasn't happened yet, the only reason the SEC gets away with it is because of "LOOK HOW GREAT WE ARE". The ACC doesn't have that. Bolster your actual SOS with more conference games. 3 OOC games is enough.

Three ooc games would be an issue for Clemson and South Carolina. They're both required by state law to play another, smaller school from South Carolina every year. If either of their conferences moved to a 9-game schedule, they would in effect only get a choice of one game per year between the cross-conference rivalry and the mandated in-state FCS matchup.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfUAtU1Y2Hw

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Today I had the pleasure of telling a non-football-fan friend that Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix is indeed a real football player's name.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
2015 ACC schedules have been released.

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-footbl/2015_m-footbl_schedule-teams.pdf

GT:
code:
Sep. 3  ALCORN STATE (Thurs.)
Sep. 12 TULANE
Sep. 19 at Notre Dame
Sep. 26 at Duke
Oct. 3  NORTH CAROLINA
Oct. 10 at Clemson
Oct. 17 PITT
Oct. 24 FLORIDA STATE
Oct. 31 at Virginia
Nov. 7  OPEN
Nov. 12 VIRGINIA TECH (Thurs.)
Nov. 21 at Miami
Nov. 28 GEORGIA
Two thursday games and one of them being against an FCS team kinda sucks. First time in a while we've had a serious game the week before UGA, too.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 29, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, since GT is facing Clemson and FSU in the regular season, we're practically guaranteed a rematch in the championship game if GT wins the Coastal. :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Strobe posted:

Translation: We didn't want to put in the effort to actually improve our schedules, so have a different definition of 'improve'.

BYU's a good team. Better than a lot of P5 bottom-feeders. I'm surprised they weren't counted as a P5 team for the sake of scheduling before.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, BYU is a legit good program and I wouldn't consider it moving the goal posts to count it as a P5 team on your schedule. You can't tell me BYU is a level below Purdue or Vandy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They save a lot of money by cheaping out on the trophy, so they've gotta spend it somewhere

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

an adult beverage posted:

The big ten western division is the shittiest division in all of American sports.

Counterpoint: the ACC Coastal

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The media circus is absolutely what makes it awful. At least at VT the overwhelming media coverage and presence on campus was just uncomfortable. Blacksburg is this small town, where everyone just kinda minds their own business. Having 2-3000 media heads and cameras all over the place seeing all the spots I'd been going to class to for 4 years splattered all over the TV with images of people you felt like you knew in a horrific spot, that's really the worst. Beyond the loss of life which sticks with me, how surreal and lovely it was to see it all over the national news (even though it warranted it) and then how long those folks stuck around just kept that nasty feeling around with them.

I can imagine in 2000 your situation would have been a lot easier to keep low key, even by 2007 information moved so fast.

I didn't read the quote and thought you were talking about national signing day for a bit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ulmont posted:

So is there any analog for NCAA football to the NFL's Game Rewind product (lets you view games after 24 hours, lasts until the preseason)? I'm considering looking at some of the potential draftees (and/or actual draftees depending on timing).

Not exactly, at least as far as I know. This site has most P5 games, though.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 6, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Declan MacManus posted:

My question is why Thad Turnipseed doesn't go by Thaddeus Turnipseed

All-in bro

Blue Mountain State has established Thad as a quintessentially college football name and I expect anyone connected with the field who can go by that name to do so.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Seems like cheating to have a member of the Q Continuum on your team.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fluffdaddy posted:

Old people complain about anything and everything. Just look at Det's posting history.

Det's posting history is wonderful thanks to his contributions to the history of football thread. :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

what would a football version of the globetrotters be like and why isn't that something I can go see

guy climbs up a ladder to block a punt or something?

"Cumberland's only effective defense was an extra point blocked with a sort of human pyramid.[2]"

I'd like to see this recreated.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Is talking about a football version of the globetrotters okay? Because I think there's room for some fruitful offseason conversation here.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LeeMajors posted:

UF hired Kerry Dixon II from FIU as WR coach.

Who?

Kerry Dixon has the distinction of both sharing a name with a man who was almost president and almost sharing a name with a president.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
GT had this awesome guy back in the day

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

That is the shittiest taxidermy job ever

Nope.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Maryland's flag is rad as hell and the uniforms are the best thing Terps football has ever produced.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

When they say "football" they mean "The Ravens", the University Of Maryland fanbase itself isn't very big and has been beaten down by poor sports administration and mediocre teams

Well, when the movie came out, the Terps had just had three 10+ win seasons in the previous four years so v:shobon:v

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dattserberg posted:

Man, GT would have the most dope fight song ever.

As awesome as the Atlanta hip hop scene is, most of them probably aren't GT fans. :smith:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Georgia Tech D-Line coach Mike Pelton is interviewing for the same position at Oklahoma. If he goes, he would be the only (or maybe first?) GT coach to leave this year. OU's lowest-paid assistants make $100,000 more than he does currently.

Pelton's pretty highly regarded among Tech fans, it'd be a shame to see him go.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Guys, there's still college football going on in India!

https://twitter.com/EFLIFootball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just you watch, for as long as Frank Beamer lives, VT will win one impossible upset per year and finish every season with 6-7 wins.

• Locked thread