Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well I am going to put these in here then. Cardale and Zeke own, Go Bucks :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

I wouldn't touch him before like the 5th or 6th round, but Barrett is a better overall QB and Jones stock isn't going to get higher than it is right now sitting on the bench, so leaving might not be a horrible idea. He'd get a shot at the NFL even if he sat next year now, but might as well strike while the iron is as hot as it's probably going to get.

Yeah, plus he just had a kid. He should definitely put his name in for NFL GM feedback and see what it says. If he can get drafted then he should go, because JT is going to be the starter next year. I'll just hope he goes someplace with a good QB coach.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Okay, so, I need something explained to me. I checked out of giving a poo poo about college ball for a couple years, right around when Tressel got run out of his coaching job at OSU. I live in Detroit now, and I've got a bunch of Michigan homers in my facebook feed who have, on and off, talked like Tressel should be in prison and it was especially bad yesterday when he was spotted on the field at the game. Can someone explain to me what Tressel did and why it was so heinous? My shaky understanding of it is that some players traded some rings for tattoos? And that's supposed to be bad for reasons? And apparently the saintly warrior-scholars at Michigan would never stoop to such moral lows?

Eight players sold memorabilia for cash and tattoos, and one player got a discounted car loan. Total value of 14 grand split among the 8 players. The NCAA's judgement was that Tressel knew of it and didn't inform them of the violations. That's why they hit him so hard with the 5 years show cause, it's always the cover up and not the crime with the NCAA. And those Michigan fans can shut the gently caress up because they straight up paid the Fab Five to come to Michigan.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Cardale may be a redshirt sophomore, but he's actually 22 years old due to his prep school time. Staying 2 more years would actually be a negative in NFL scouts eyes.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Scarf posted:

Did you watch TCU play at all this year? They woodshedded just as many teams as Ohio State, and often more severely and had similar close-calls.

The only notable difference is that they didn't lose to Virginia Tech.

Yeah but the important thing is that they will have a sweet co-champion banner to unveil, and didn't have to split the money with lesser teams that could have given them a champ game.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Emron posted:

I remember when I thought the playoffs would resolve "x team should have been in" arguments. I was so young then. So full of life

Meh, 4 team worked fine, who cares what some co-champ thinks. I am not sure that going to 8 and adding another game is better, if they do it then they should add scholarships.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Democrazy posted:

I was honestly expecting Cardale Jones to be transferring rather than declaring. I think it would be a better long term move for him. He needs to get some coaching some someone who has a proven ability to develop quarterbacks for the next level, someone who has a history of sending kids to the NFL but also someone who isn't already wed to their starter.

Someone like Jim Harbaugh at Michigan.

As funny as that would be, transferring within division would require him to sit out a year and then have a senior year at age 24 to impress people. He'd be better served under a NFL coaching staff for those 2 seasons in my opinion. He needs to go to Arizona and develop his gently caress it, goin deep skills.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I'm not really comfortable with unpaid college players playing a 16 game season though, 15 is crazy enough seeing as the champ game happened during classes. If they want to go to 8 then they should removed a regular season game (would never happen, bad teams would hate losing revenue) or at least change up the schedule.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Thoguh posted:

What's the sixth conference? Or do you just mean highest rated non P5 champ? Or to be less restricted, just the sixth highest rated conference champs.which would produce the same result 99 times out of 100.

The 6th would be the Notre Dame Conference obviously.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

or pay players

I am down with this. As someone involved with a smaller school though, would you be able to pay athletes the same as OSU? Would you consider it unfair if OSU paid them more?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The goal of the 4 team playoff was to make sure an undefeated team didn't get left out. It accomplished it's goal, and the rest is bickering among teams that dropped a game. If it was 8 teams then Ole Miss fans would have been bitching that Miss St got in over them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Spiritus Nox posted:

Because Ole Miss was so clearly a playoff contender by the end?

They were ranked #9 by the playoff committee, 2 spots behind the team that they just beat. Those are the arguments you start getting with 8 teams. 4 teams means you get in all the undefeated teams from big conferences and then the 1-loss teams can fight it out. But that's ok, if you drop a game you aren't owed anything. The number of teams that are "clearly a playoff contender" will vary by year. I'm just not too keen on adding a 16th game.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Cardale going to announce at 2pm today. Since he's announcing from Cleveland, he's going pro. Best decision, I will miss you King Cardale, please don't go to a team I hate :ohdear:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Haha he trolled the NFL reporters. Cardale continues to own.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Alex Smith is also better than 95% of qb's drafted in any given year.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

JT Jag posted:

It also took him four whole years before he became even close to a serviceable starting quarterback, six years before he became 'kinda good'. Meyer QBs aren't NFL ready out of the box.

I agree. I think declaring was the best decision. But I can't be upset for wanting to stay in school and troll the media.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, you can thank Jim Harbaugh for the reason that Alex Smith is still in the NFL, too.

I'll try to slip that in while thanking him for making Luck good.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

What a surprise, Mariota did the boring thing.

Lots of players have had press conferences, this was not some new thing. And the music and tweets just set up the troll to make it funny. Some media found it funny, some are just old white men. Oh well, they will be able to get their revenge in the future with some hit pieces.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why would Bear Bryant being the Zodiac killer mean that his wins need to be vacated? Unless he was murdering recruits during the dead period I don't see how the two are related.

That's the point he's making about Paterno. The crimes that were committed deserved to be prosecuted by the police, but the NCAA really didn't have any authority to come in and punish the school.

Butthead posted:

I think that settles the argument. Can we talk about Cardale some more?

He owns. He was on Dan Patrick this morning and was great. I honestly don't know who I want to win the starting job at this point.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm assuming this LB ain't nothin to gently caress wit?

He is not, was on the field a bunch as a true freshman. Raekwon Mcmillan, was the #1 prospect out of GA last year.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

And here I thought you Michigan guys liked Bo.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

kittenmittons posted:

Hey,

There's football on.

It's barely football, but it's all we've got :(

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

pillsburysoldier posted:

bless ohio state for this year only

I'll take it!

Next year the anti-osu tard brigade will be stronger than ever :ohdear:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

As we enter panicked recruiting season, I found it pretty interesting that apparently none of the superbowl starters were 5-star recruits, and only 8 were 4-stars.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

It just seems to me like a rule done exclusively because of 1 and done basketball players. Why harm football, the larger moneymaker, for it? The eligibility rule is already there, redshirting is already there, is there some issue with true freshman getting snaps? And the NBA commish has been hinting at raising the age for draft eligible players since he took over as it is.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Kenny G got hired on as a GA with Herman at Houston :toot: It's going to be pretty uncomfortable for Houston fans because a bunch of Ohio State fans are also going to be rooting for them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Harbaugh is a big Judge Judy fan I guess lol

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Ladies, it's time to just go back to not saying anything about raped by college athletes.

Oregon gonna' get your medical records!

Well that is rather hosed up

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

Urbz once convinced a recruit that he unretired because God came to him in a vision and told him he needed to coach the recruit, which is my favorite recruiting story ever.

Then he retired again.

Bonus, pretty sure that was Sharif Floyd, who he stole away from OSU. Causing lots of posts about Urban that would then need to be deleted years later.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

My memory is a little fuzzy bc of the rage-induced amnesia I've suffered between 10-14, but I think it was Ronald Powell.

Ah maybe, I found this from one of Floyd's coaches:

quote:

"Sharrif was really confused and put a call into Coach Meyer. When they spoke Coach Meyer told him that he had a ‘dream' the night before, and that Coach Meyer saw himself on the sideline coaching Sharrif. Told him that is was a 'message from God that I should come back and coach, as I guess if it's my time to die, I'd rather die on the sidelines coaching you than anywhere else in the world.'"

"Sharrif talked to us the next day and said Ohio State is great and all, but Coach Meyer said he would DIE for me. That's pretty intense. From that day on Sharrif mainly kept to himself. But that was the turning point in my eyes."

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

NCAA passed the Ezekiel Elliott rule :(

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

kittenmittons posted:

This is the way the career ends
Not with a bang but a twitter

Sounds like it has been cleared up, but man that was stupid. Shouldn't impact his future Oregon/FSU eligibility.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

That's a big loving ring.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

R.D. Mangles posted:

2056: Civilizations and kingdoms spring up across the former United States. On his deathbed, Vince Young unfurls a scroll containing the Rules of Football.

The scroll reads:

HOOK

EM

HORNS

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Neodoomium posted:

I was hoping Michigan would bring back helmet stickers and Jim Harbaugh did that

Now you, too, can experience the thread posting WHAT ARE THOSE STICKERS?

Ours still look like pot leaves though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

pillsburysoldier posted:

Susan Miller Degnan ‏@smillerdegnan
We did not see anyone on @GoldenAl's coaching staff tonight except Andreu Swasey & UM Hall of Famer Art Kehoe.

:catstare:

Where?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

pillsburysoldier posted:

Oop sorry, didn't realize it wasn't in the tweet. University of Miami HoF induction ceremony
http://www.umsportshalloffame.com/induction-banquet.html

Vilma and Sean Taylor going into the UM HoF? Yeah Al you should probably go to that.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Let's not complain toooo much about the 1 loss of a national championship season. The VT loss was key to the team making changes and in the end it resulted in a sweet golden vagina trophy.

That said, I hope they go nuts @VT this year.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

So with the campus PD and athletic department doing their best to botch the investigation and cover it up, has anything actually happened to FSU? Would a civil conviction matter at all? Funny how they can find the cab driver but gosh, the PD just can't find him!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Unsurprisingly, Cardale wins the long distance competition with a throw of 75-80 yards. Surprisingly, Troy Smith threw it almost 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Was that a rice krispie treat he won for it? He was so happy with that thing

• Locked thread