Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Congrats, Hokies! You finally get to fill the trophy case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

Huge lol about how the dumbass playoff system worked in its first season.

No, because Ohio State got in over TCU. Based on resumes prior to the start of the playoff there was no excuse to include Ohio State over TCU, the committee only included them because they were a bigger name school. The fact that Ohio State won doesn't change that. TCU still got screwed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The winner of the playoff can play NDSU for the right to be the champion of Division I football. It's only right that we have one true champion.

No need.

NDSU > Iowa State > Iowa > Pitt > Virginia Tech > Ohio State

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Div III Kalamazoo beat Ohio St

Congrats on the title, Kalamazoo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xombie posted:

There is seriously no argument for taking Ohio State out of the CFP that doesn't also discount TCU via their loss to Baylor.

Huh? Ohio State had by far the worst loss among them, Alabama, Oregon, and TCU.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Frackie Robinson posted:

6 conference champs and 2 at large would be just about perfect, unfortunately I think we're doomed to have them eventually over expand to 12 or 16 and ruin the regular seaon.

What's the sixth conference? Or do you just mean highest rated non P5 champ? Or to be less restricted, just the sixth highest rated conference champs.which would produce the same result 99 times out of 100.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Eltoasto posted:

I am down with this. As someone involved with a smaller school though, would you be able to pay athletes the same as OSU? Would you consider it unfair if OSU paid them more?

It would have to be a nominal amount that everybody in a P5 conference could afford.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wait, why do you want the mid-majors out of the FBS?

I want them gone so the team I cheer for doesn't have to recruit against them. Same reason I'm down with full cost of attendance scholarships and/or a stipend for players.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Butthead posted:

You can't have every Power 5's conference champion in the playoffs because the Big 12 is a bunch of retards that will have a 6 way tie for conference champion and declare them all co-champions.

Not to get in the way of your Hot Take, but the Big XII has always had a tiebreaker for that situation which is basically identical to what other conferences use to decide who represents a division in a conference championship game in the event of co-division champions. And what other conferences had before they all went to 12+ teams. Baylor would have won the tie-breaker and been the Big XII rep.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Butthead posted:

That tie-breaker was "highest in the BCS standings," which no longer exists and is the reason there were co-champions this year.

Butthead posted:

The Big 12 commissioner could have declared Baylor the Big 12 champions based on their head-to-head victory over TCU, but declined to do so. Unless they change their rules, that sets a precedent that any ties in conference record at the end of the season will be ruled as co-champions.

Like, how much bullshit would it be if they do not change their rules and next year a tie occurs and the commissioner decides one team is the champion? Baylor would be irate.

These posts are both entirely wrong and very bad. The Big XII commissioner can't just arbitrarily ignore conference rules which recognize co-champions and declare one team champions. And the updated tie breaker rules have been posted just about every other week since Baylor beat TCU. They exist and are used to decide the Big XII representative to the Sugar Bowl, which is the bowl that currently gets the Big XII champ. If the Playoff Committee had a clause to take all P5 conference champions like the BCS did then the rules have always been in place to determine who the representative would be in the case of co-champions.

Big XII Football Tiebreaker Procedures posted:

Effective June 2014

The following procedure will determine the Big 12 Conference representative to the Sugar Bowl (or alternate College Football Playoff game when the Sugar Bowl is a semifinal) in the event of a first-place or alternate place tie (for the avoidance of doubt, only Conference records will be used throughout the process):
  • If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
  • If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. Once a team has been eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
  • The records of the three teams will be compared against each other
  • The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed team(s) in the conference (4, 5 and 6….).
  • The highest ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the College Football Playoff.
  • The representative will be chosen by draw.

These rules are basically identical to what the other P5 conferences used to use before they expanded to 12+. And are also basically identical to what the other P5 conferences currently use to determine divisional representatives to the conference championship game in the event of a tie. And most of those conferences recognize co-divisional champs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mahoning posted:

If Cardale gets a college degree it will be the most :unsmith: thing ever. The story about him in Sports Illustrated really made me like him a lot. I know a ton of CFB players come from poverty but his story really got to me. Maybe because he's from NE Ohio.

Counterpoint:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

The Fulmer Cup has officially started. A player at Tulsa got booted off for drug and gun possession and an Iowa State player for DUI

Wasted no time on that one, he got it like an hour after the game was over.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You start hearing them when you're like 8 and they stick with you and you give them your own little spin when the time comes. I have a notebook full of them but it's kinda pointless because they're all permanently in my head anyway.

I'd buy a book of Detriot_Dogg aphorisms.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crotch Bat posted:

SEC is such a pack of failures.

A step in the right direction, but I doubt that's going to have any impact on Saban-esque forced medical retirements and cutting scholarships the day before guys get on campus.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Going back to the NCAA stuff from yesterday. I wonder how the "Can't pull scholarships for athletics only reasons" will work in non-headcount sports. In wrestling, for example, coaches only have 9.9 scholarships to go around the whole team and it is understood that everyone's scholarship level is re-evaluated every year. Does that mean that coaches will no longer be able to do that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News:

Views: Of loving course it was.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Is there a post-Snyder plan in place or will they be on the market like everyone else?

Somewhere, Ron Prince waits.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

He was kicked off the team a couple weeks ago. Do we still get Fulmer Cup points?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pakled posted:

For what it's worth, I think the "official" Fulmer Cup has moved here.

I'm sure Reddit jumped at the chance to assign point totals to gang rapes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

I really want Coastal Carolina to get a sponsorship from All-Sport as there official beverage like now.

Even better if they get a deal for Starter to provide their uniforms.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

no recruiting is weird and keep it in its own pen

What Sash said.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

R.D. Mangles posted:

We can talk about how the lovely Northwestern Wildcats completely owned Notre Dame in South Bend and a whole stadium full of ND fans were miserable and lunatic Internet Notre Dame people started demanding that Bryan Kelly be fired because our terrible baseball playing kicker for one random day in November decided to kick 40+ yarders and Kelly went for two for no apparent reason.

And then they got Chik-fil-a.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYIUuyoSVAs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ACoolT5 posted:

People need to keep posting this until it is reality: https://theroommateswitch.wordpress.com/

Pods are the stupidest thing. Just go to 9 games.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dattserberg posted:

Holy poo poo Sash has a great idea

Didn't the SEC say they were going to require all teams to schedule a P5 opponent sometime last year and Kansas reported like a day later that they'd received calls from half the conference?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sash! posted:

I really don't like the FCS games for the simple reason that the overwhelming majority of them have zero chance of ever winning.

:smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Scarf posted:

I usually discover them the next morning laying next to me...

Hey-oo!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

pillsburysoldier posted:

bless ohio state for this year only

boooooooooooooo

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Orange Bowl trophy has nothing on the Potato Bowl trophy.

No discussion of the Potato Bowl is complete without this image.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, they did. The Big Ten bent Dave Brandon over during the realignment. There isn't any reason MSU and OSU should be on the same home/away schedule.

Did Michigan get hit any worse than anybody else though? I know that my friends who are Iowa or Nebraska fans have been (understandably) pretty underwhelmed by the Big Ten schedules now that they've gone to 14.

Iowa's home schedule next year: Illinois State, Pitt, North Texas, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue

The only game on that list that is attractive at all is Minnesota. Though I'd laugh my rear end off if the Fightin' McCarneys of North Texas beat them in Iowa City.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 3, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Regnevelc posted:

Nebraska and Iowa should be loving ecstatic over the realignment given the West teams.

Easier to get wins but it comes at the expense of lovely home schedules most years.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

an adult beverage posted:

The big ten western division is the shittiest division in all of American sports.

I dunno, the SEC West exists.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

pillsburysoldier posted:

Duke started spring practice

Wait, what?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lamentable dustman posted:

Clemson approved a 157,000 sq feet/62 million dollar football operation center near our indoor practice facility. IIRC it is supposed to have a frankies fun park in it for the students.

Was that a token thing to get student/university fees to pay for it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pakled posted:

Seems like cheating to have a member of the Q Continuum on your team.

Georgia Tech, ladies and gentlemen.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ya'll are just jealous because your non-owning video boards do, in fact, not own.

We're getting another one of the same size in the other end zone for next season. But I'm not sure if we'll be hiring the Cheap Trick roadies for installation this time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ya'll just wish that Cheap Trick would play your stadiums.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 7, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

How would that even be possible? :lol:

Didn't something like that happen this season? Like 3rd and 50?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

an adult beverage posted:

Gumby's Pokey Sticks were the best.

Anytime I'm drunk I reflexively want to order Pokey Stix. Even though it has been almost a decade since I lived somewhere with a Gumby's.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

This is not Katy Perry I'm not sure what you are posting about.

Shakey Graves is real good and came up a lot in gamethreads this year when the games got boring. Also, he was in Friday Night Lights, so is tangentially football related.

His live performances are way better than his studio albums. I'd even say his first studio album was terrible, though the same songs live were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

All sports are cool to some degree, but if you prefer any sort of basketball to football you should go get your broken brain looked at and possibly partially lobotomized.

College football is vastly superior to any type of basketball, but college basketball is way better than the NFL. And just about everything is better than the NBA.

• Locked thread