Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic about next season. Arizona should be better, but it all depends on how the secondary and retooled offensive line come together. Anu is going to improve (he was great through most of the season, though he faded down the stretch), and the skill positions are deep as hell. Scooby's back, too, to terrorize Pac-12 offenses, which should help the defense a bunch. We also miss Oregon on the schedule, though we play @Stanford and @Washington. I mean, this year was a success beyond what anyone could have reasonably hoped for. Next year has the potential to be better.

ROSE BOWL???

The Pac-12 South is going to be ridiculous next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Ohio State beat PAC-12 champ Oregon and SEC champ Alabama. TCU beat a 9-3 Ole Miss team and...Minnesota?

If only there was some way that TCU could have had a chance to also play the SEC and Pac-12 champs...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Emron posted:

I remember when I thought the playoffs would resolve "x team should have been in" arguments. I was so young then. So full of life
Nobody actually thought that a 4 team playoff would completely get rid of those arguments. I mean, there are 5 power conference champions, someone's obviously going to get screwed. Still a better situation than having a system where Alabama or FSU would have been this year's champion.

Scarf posted:

Clearly going to 8 teams will solve everything.

Clearly.
Yeah it would be pretty awesome actually.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

or pay players

But then college football would be ruined :qq:

Can't have paid athletes ruining the amateur sanctity of the National Championship Game presented by AT&T for the National Championship Trophy presented by Dr. Pepper.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Baylor continuing down the road of Full Oregon, debuts gunmetal Grey helmets.

DJExile posted:

Coastal Carolina is going all 90s and announced they will have a teal field for 2015 :pcgaming:

These both own, college football is the best.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fluffdaddy posted:

If you don't want to talk about 18 year old boys and their thigh muscles than I dunno what to tell you.

19-22yo boy talk only itt

e:

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 24, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah surprise, playing a team from your conference instead of loving Southwestern Chattanooga State means you'll have a tougher schedule with fewer free wins. That's kind of the whole point, besides the added side benefit of actually playing all the teams in your conference more frequently than once a decade.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also, again, the issue most teams that play 9 conference games have with the SEC/ACC/whoever's 8 games isn't just their soft SOS (because as has been pointed out SEC teams do, in fact, often play tough OOC schedules). It's specifically the fact that they get to schedule a cupcake in like week 12 instead of having to play a conference game. That's absolutely huge for a number of reasons, chief among them being that they help avoid upsets late in the season and give the whole conference a bit of a boost by giving a bunch of the teams free wins rather than having half of the conference take another loss since they all had to play each other.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm ok with other teams scheduling them. That way I can enjoy the occasional upset while still acting smug about how UCLA has never played an FCS team as if that's some kind of actual accomplishment.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's awful :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Those two are the same person in my mind so I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

What year/decade is that UCLA one from, I don't think I've ever seen it?

Also will literally use any half-assed excuse to remind people that Oregon thought this was a sweet idea once:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sash! posted:

My favorite part of the spring games is when everyone is convinced their QB is awesome

Unless he has a bad game, in which case it's because your defense is going to be incredible this year.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

so stupid guy ‏@crudtown 1 hour ago posted:

@edsbs Jim Harbaugh did podcast w Tim Kawakami today, was asked best meal/resturaunt he ever had. Said Cracker Barrel without hesitating.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't have the exact numbers, but Mora has played something like a dozen freshmen in each of the past couple of years. Obviously not all starters, but most of those got significant playing/development time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Word coming out that UCLA is "pretty far down the line" in hiring former PSU DC Tom Bradley as our new DC. Supposedly all but done barring clearance over that whole little Sandusky thing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Komet posted:

It's a good hire, and I'm glad that Tom Bradley was able finally land back on his feet. Sure, it was frustrating to see our secondary get sliced and diced by any competent passing game. Maybe he'll be a horrible DC for a PAC team, going up against USC and Oregon, but maybe also Bradley was hamstrung by Paterno. I wouldn't be surprised if he was more aggressive under another coach. Ultimately, his stats speak for themselves. Penn State was able to put together top 10 defenses nationally in most categories from 2004-2011. He's a pretty good recruiter too.

Yeah I'm liking the hire on paper. As a bonus his potential hiring is making the idiots on Bruinsnation fight with each other and race to see who can have the hottest take or come up with the most hyperbolic condemnation, which is always entertaining.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I've seen former PSU beat writers and reporters say that his defenses a lot of the time were mostly a result of that being Paterno's preferred system and he's actually more of a 3-4 guy, so he should be able to use our players well. I'm liking the hiring a lot the more I read about his time at PSU.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deteriorata posted:

My hope is that this is a start for dealing with both. Clearing out athletes who aren't interested in an education would go along with stressing a better education the rest of the athletes.

My issue with this is that it treats a college education as some kind of holy endeavor. Spoiler alert, a whole lot of regular college students don't give a poo poo about their education either and just breeze through easy classes in order to get a degree. Kids only going to college because they want to play football for a bit before going to the NFL because that's their only reasonable option shouldn't be seen as a crime or as some kind of horrible problem that needs fixing. There are plenty of student-athletes that actually give a poo poo about graduating and getting a degree, and those guys can and do accomplish that all the time. And I mean come on, do people really think that not letting some 18-year-old kid play football for a year is going to make him give a poo poo about his psychology degree when he's been told since 7th grade how great he'll be in the NFL?

I don't know, I just feel like there are plenty of much more serious problems that need to be tackled with college football before trying to force kids who just want to go to the NFL (and help make their schools millions in the process) to go to their Intro to Sociology classes. Maybe if the issue was safety and there was a disproportionate number of freshmen getting injured every year or something, but I haven't seen that brought up since the focus seems to be on "fixing" the one-and-done "problem".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I should point out that I only think this is dumb in football. I agree that the one-and-done rule in basketball is a terrible band-aid and something like baseball's "get drafted or stay for X years" would be better. I just think that making all freshmen ineligible is a super misguided way to achieve the nebulous goal of making kids give a poo poo about something they clearly don't give a poo poo about and is just going to lead to the rule being repealed or completely changed in like 3 years.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deteriorata posted:

I would argue that fundamentally that's not a problem that college athletics should be solving. A better solution would be for the NFL to use some of its enormous profits to fund a developmental league as an alternative to college football.

I think college football is way too established as a major sport for some kind of developmental league to ever take off or be a true alternative. You would have to pile on some major obstacles to entry to the NFL at the college level in order to convince a top recruit to go play for the Albuquerque ant-eaters or whatever rather than going to Alabama/Oklahoma/OhioSt/etc, sitting out a year, then getting national exposure for two years. And that's ignoring the obvious issue that the NFL would never actually create this league, which would be ludicrously expensive to even set up.

It's why I think pretending that student-athletes can get back to being True Honorary College Students is a naive pipe dream, and everyone's time would be much better spent figuring out a reasonable way to just pay the kids for bringing in millions to their schools as part-time employees.

Deteriorata posted:

I am thoroughly aware of that. It's more that the argument that college football is somehow obligated to accommodate non-students so they can have professional careers is not a very strong one.

Sure it is. These non-students bring in millions of dollars to the universities, so forcing them to pretend to be students just for the sake of appearances is silly. If you want your university's student-athletes to be students first then cut the budget of your football team, cut their practice times, their team meetings, and "voluntary" team activities, and let them focus on school. But don't hurt their potential future earnings just so you can sleep better at night pretending that the kids your football coach recruited by promising playing time, national exposure, a chance to get to the NFL, and probably cold hard cash is there to better himself as a student.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 21, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Everything I hear from people is that Bradley to UCLA is just a few papers being signed from being official and should or could happen by the end of the week.

ESPN's Pac-12 reporter says it's done per his :airquote:source:airquote:: https://twitter.com/Kevin_Gemmell/status/569979001898291200

Also the best part of Snoop Dogg's son signing with us is that now I have an excuse to post poo poo about Snoop Dogg. Like how he threw his son a Coming to America-themed birthday party last weekend: https://instagram.com/p/zbaBZ3v9NZ/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=photo

VDay fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 24, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
No it's ok guys it's just the gentle hand of bureaucracy taking its time fixing a completely inconsequential and ignorable situation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

UCLA's Jerry Neuheisel (Rick's son, naturally) was UCLA's hero against Texas when Brett Hundley was hurt. He's probably going to start next season, but who knows.

Nah Neuheisel will be third, if not fourth, on the depth chart next year barring some kind of crazy improvement in the offseason. He came in and saved the day against Texas, but Asiantii Woulard is a much better athlete and fits the system better. It'll be between him and Josh Rosen, one of the best quarterbacks coming out of high school, with most people thinking it'll ultimately be Rosen. There's bound to be some growing/freshman pains, but we bring a lot of guys back so he'll at least have an experienced O-line and the Pac-12's leading rusher to help take some pressure off him.

Fun problem to have compared to the situation we were in for like a decade under Dorrell and Neuheisel where every year we would have to decide between a walk-on and a couple of guys who physically can't throw the ball more than 15 yards downfield, only to have the guy named starter get hurt early in the season anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
1. Joe Paterno
2. The bad guy from The Substitute 3
3. Everyone else

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 7, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zifnab posted:

Miles has literally the worst throwing motion I've ever seen in a college QB. Granted the next guy up is either the guy who couldn't beat out Miles, a redshirt freshman from a wing T school, or a true freshman so...

That freshman you have coming in is like a top 5 QB prospect so you'll probably be fine.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Josh Rosen earned unanimous praise and was being called one of the top kids there by basically everyone at last year's elite 11, but ended up being ranked 11th because Trent Dilfer is the dude in charge and thought he wasn't being receptive to his sage wisdom :jerkbag:

Basically the Elite 11 is just another dumb part of the recruiting circus at this point.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

korrandark posted:

How the hell can you rank the strength of schedules this early?

I don't think anyone puts any serious stock into SOS previews like that, but it still gives a nice idea of whose schedule is supposed to be tough and who might have an easier year. Or, in other words, it's something that people desperate for literally anything to do with football can cling onto until actual football starts.

UCLA's schedule is actually tougher than it looks. Virginia, UNLV, and BYU isn't the toughest start (although I think Virginia and BYU are supposed to be decent this year? maybe?), but we open up Pac-12 play by going to Arizona, then playing ASU the week after, then going to Stanford after a BYE. That's a drat tough opening for a freshman QB, especially if some injuries or unpredicted problems pop up in the first 3 games. I'll be ecstatic if we're 4-2 or better going into the game against Cal, and that would give us a good shot at having another 9-10 win season.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Maxwells Demon posted:

I wouldn't turn my back on UCLA somehow imploding either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzvbfou2yc

No but for real though, how are we an implosion candidate? We've got like 20 starters returning including our entire offense apart from Hundley. I mean yeah Rosen might struggle and be a bust, but he'll have a very experienced O line, a really solid and experienced WR corps, the Pac-12's leading rusher, and a pretty soft schedule outside of the opening Pac-12 games to help take the pressure off him. And if he busts out hard enough we have former 4* prospect Woulard who's good enough to come in and at least hand the ball off on option-reads and throw screen passes. Our defense should improve a lot going from a first-year DC to Tom Bradley, unless he's somehow forgotten how to be a DC.

We might not win the South/Pac-12 because it's going to be super competitive (well, at least the South division will be), but it'd be a hell of an implosion for us to finish like barely ahead of Colorado or something.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Maxwells Demon posted:

I don't think UCLA is destined to do badly this season. Quite the opposite: I think they'll do quite solidly well. But I'm not going to invest any confidence or money in that statement until they put it on the field. I just feel the last 3 years have been almost too solid of a performance and they could regress to 2011 levels.

Fair enough. I'd be lying if I said a part of me wasn't constantly expecting the other shoe to drop and for us to suddenly be terrible again.

Speaking of shoes dropping, we've suspended (with pay) OL coach Adrian Klemm for something while the NCAA reviews it. I'm assuming/hoping that it's just some minor violation related to one of the recent camps and not anything serious. We've got some nice momentum going into 2016, it'd be a shame if we hosed it up with a major violation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Step up and play some real sports* that people care about :smugbert:

*volleyball and water polo

Also the Adrian Klemm situation isn't looking so good. No word/rumors/theories on what the actual violations are yet, but the fact that we haven't issued the usual "It's all a small misunderstanding and will be cleared shortly" PR statement is worrying, as is the fact that there are apparently multiple violations in the first place. Considering that he's the head of recruiting, there's pretty much no chance that he keeps his job if he's found to have broken any rules other than like an improper text or something. Would be a huge loss for us in terms of recruiting though. Our line play has been kind of weak under Mora, but a lot of that was due to injuries, and our depth and athleticism there is still arguably better than it's ever been.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The short answer is tennis and water polo (mostly for UCLA and Stanford, USC is tennis + track). Just for tennis, UCLA has 18 championships (16 M, 2 W), USC has 23 (21M, 2W), and Stanford has 34 (17 each men's/women's).

The slightly longer answer is that thanks to the perfect weather all year round, we can have a bunch of olympic sports that all pitch in 2-5 titles, with a couple that we then dominate for entire decades. In UCLA's case we had Al Scates win 19 men's volleyball championships, to go along with 11 softball championships and 16 water polo titles. Stanford has like 4-8 titles in about a dozen different sports, and USC claims 26 track & field titles from like the 20's to the 70's.

It's not really any different than most other schools with more than a dozen titles. OkSU is 4th on the list because they have 34 wrestling titles to go with 10 golf championships, while PSU is 5th and has 13 fencing titles. UCLA/USC/Stanford just have more of those smaller teams than other schools, and have had them for longer.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
We can't all have championship-winning fencing programs.

e: The funniest though is the University of Denver having 29 championships, with 22 of them being in Skiing.

VDay fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 17, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If anyone's not doing anything, the NCAA's appeal of the O'Bannon case is going on right now.

You can watch it live at: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/view_video.php?pk_vid=0000007373

Or if you don't want to watch some CSPAN-level arguing, you can follow https://twitter.com/JonSolomonCBS on twitter, he's live-tweeting the bigger/more important points.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The chart is pretty unsurprising, but I love the image of someone going "Beer? Pft, I'm a malt liquor man" and pulling out a Bud Lite Lime Straw-Ber-Rita.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you and your roommate didn't make a beer pong table replica of your school's basketball court then what were you even doing?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So it's basically an entire team of dudes that are about 5'9". That's kind of funny.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I really miss that doomsday Pac-16 scenario :(

Also I always get a chuckle out of remembering how many people thought that if Texas moved to the Pac-10 then they would completely dominate the conference forever, only to be terrible like a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Punting taking away a point would be kind of interesting.

I mean, it would probably completely ruin the game, but I'm for anything that makes real football more like playing the NCAA games with your drunk roommates.

• Locked thread