Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

muscles like this? posted:

So, did I miss something or do they just not explain how to destroy Volatile nests in The Following?

Obsurveyor posted:

Find and kill all the weird new Volatiles stuck to the floor.

As Ob said, but they're a bit easier to find if you look for areas that have a red glow to them as well as a TON of gibs on the floor. I don't think I've seen two together in the same red glow/floor gibs area, but my memory might fail me. If you're hunting in a train tunnel, be sure to open the train cars as well, some also hide in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Always use your survivor senses, you can't miss them.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any tips for a new player? I'm mostly just using lovely shovels right now. Also, dying a lot because I'm bad. I got the head stomp skill, and I've had some success hitting zombies in the knees and then kicking the poo poo out of their heads.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elderbean posted:

Any tips for a new player? I'm mostly just using lovely shovels right now. Also, dying a lot because I'm bad. I got the head stomp skill, and I've had some success hitting zombies in the knees and then kicking the poo poo out of their heads.

It takes a while before the game starts to give you good equipment. If you see the bow for sale from a vendor make sure to pick that up as it makes thing a little easier, especially since you can make your own arrows and they're reusable. Also, pro-tip is to save every coffee you find and don't sell it. There's a mission later where someone wants 20.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Kick zombies into spikes. They'll usually impale instantly.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

SLOSifl posted:

Kick zombies into spikes. They'll usually impale instantly.

You don't even have to be accurate with this, even if a zombies toe hits a spike it dies.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Elderbean posted:

At the very beginning it is better to run and climb to avoid the zombies.

E: Not for too long, once you get weapons that do over like 90 damage and can swing them more then 4 times without getting exhausted and / or the weapon breaking then you should be fine.

titties fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 9, 2016

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Elderbean posted:

Make molotovs every chance you get, then find a nice throng of zombies. Light up some firecrackers and then toss the molotov on zombies when they congregate. Great way to level up your combat xp!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

GyverMac posted:

Make molotovs every chance you get, then find a nice throng of zombies. Light up some firecrackers and then toss the molotov on zombies when they congregate. Great way to level up your combat xp!

Does this still happen though? What with The Following update making zombies twice as tough to kill?

I mean, I crafted a whole bunch of molotovs just so I could clear some areas but... they didn't really do much besides char the zombies.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Did anyone happen to snag extra giftable copies of the vanilla Dying Light on Steam while it was on sale? Now that they have released The Following expansion, I can't find the base game for cheap anywhere. Trying to find a copy for co-op buddy within 10 - 15 $/€ range. Check the Steam game trading thread for my original post if you can help a fellow goon out! :)

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gortarius posted:

Does this still happen though? What with The Following update making zombies twice as tough to kill?

I mean, I crafted a whole bunch of molotovs just so I could clear some areas but... they didn't really do much besides char the zombies.

Aw poo poo. But are they at least easier to kill once you broiled them a bit?

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Gortarius posted:

No...molotov's are still good for Reis' guys early on, but they are pretty worthless against zombies.

Couple of other tips -

crafting shrapnel grenandes - one will usually take out the big goon zombies with the rebar - another way to take them out is throwing your weapon (both are skills)

get the head smash skill as early as you can ...saves you weapon wear and can instakill virals when they try and climb up to you

save survivors when they pop up - usually it's not too hard and the rewards are disproportionately big in survivor xp and blueprints for weapons (always craft the weapon if you can the bonuses are worth the materials)

late game always use guns inside - you'll have plenty of money for ammo, and shotguns are super effective - virals don't come inside from the noise

do the quarantine zones - lots of xp via the survival packs (5 in each) plus supplies...you can clear 25,000+ survivor xp per quarantine zone. The supermarket one was particularly easy (they all say hard). The parking structure one is tough because there are like 5 of whatever those night monster things are

Mr. WTF fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 11, 2016

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
The quarantine zones are pretty good in being clear about their difficulty once you take a few steps in there. If you see normal zombies, it'll prob be easy, if you see something else, don't go there with a low level character.

Is there a way to have better color coding for the map btw? I can't fathom why they only color specific icons but not others.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Got this game on the steam sale, and I gotta say, this is an incredibly fun game.

At day, it's the urban part of Dead Island with climbing buildings, but at night..whoo, thats when it becomes dying light. Gotta say, I'm never a fan of race challenges, but I always love the shooting challenges :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have the link from the old thread with all of the companion app poo poo?

• Locked thread