Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Dead Island already had a system where players could enter your game and ruin it for you so this should work really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How come everyone is making all these open world survival games about zombies? It seems like an easy way to stand out would to have the enemies be, I dunno, anything but loving zombies. The core concept behind these games always interests me but I get turned away by the fact that I'm so sick of dealing with zombies in games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

How come everyone is making all these open world survival games about zombies? It seems like an easy way to stand out would to have the enemies be, I dunno, anything but loving zombies. The core concept behind these games always interests me but I get turned away by the fact that I'm so sick of dealing with zombies in games.

If I had to guess it's probably because the development time inherent in video games means it takes a few years for the money people up top to realize the world has moved on.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Also, from a technical standpoint, humanoid beings that run at you in straight lines and don't shoot guns or use tactics are probably the easiest/best enemies to have to code. And Techland needs every chance it can get to make things not a riddled buggy mess.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Internet Kraken posted:

Reskin zombies as comic book henchmen, replace super zombies with super villains, replace protagonist with "street level" superhero of choice.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Internet Kraken posted:

The idea of an open-world survival game in a zombie apocalypse wasn't exactly an unpopular one before the current glut arrived. We were asking for it, in short. Of course, most of them veer completely away from what people actually wanted in a zombie game, and the few that do go for the "everything is totally hosed you will die the only question is how long until that happens" route tend to be some of the smaller affairs which bring some problems to the table (Project Zomboid's UI for example). State of Decay is great though, just play that for zombie survival and take other games as they come.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
To anyone who thinks that the developers deserve another chance after Dead Island, you're wrong.

Dead Island had a lot of core issues (story was bad, quests were terrible, combat was repetitive) on top of a lot of bug based ones (too many to list) and the developers knew about it. Lots of people pointed out these things and aside from acknowledging few gamebreaking issues, the devs just kinda shrugged and walked off with their preorder money. Rather than fix these things, they released Dead Island Riptide as a sequel of sorts. It fixed basically none of the major flaws of the first Dead Island despite the fact that they promoted it as an improvement over the first iteration. When people began to point out that the new game was basically the same poo poo reheated, the devs continued to ignore them.

Dying Light looks like another rehash of Dead Island. They've already had a chance to show that they could identify and fix issues in the past and they decided to cash in instead. Watching the gameplay linked earlier shows a lot of the same major flaws in the original games, though the new engine and movement looks like a slight upgrade to somewhat current standards. If you're going to buy this, at least don't preorder it: the publisher and devs need to start earning all of the money they make.

SO THERE.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Naaaaah.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Internet Kraken posted:

Not to mention that the zombie designs are getting dumber all the time. For some reason it's all the rage to put glowing eyes on them now. What the gently caress is it with glowing eyes? Ooooh so scary oooh must have glowy eyes to be evil? Heh, or like that mass effect game where your technozombie main character has lava coming out the face, seriously. No, it doesn't look scary or evil, it looks loving stupid.

Romero zombie best zombie.

Also on the subject, The Long Dark looks a very promising survival game (without zombies!), but I hear it's still kinda bad. Not enough content or something.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So its like Dead Island, and made by the same guys who made Dead Island?

Can we just skip ahead a few weeks and gas the thread now?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Why would you want to gas the thread when instead it can have pages after pages of goons bitching, complaining and crying about getting scammed by Techland once again?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Stevefin posted:

So its like Dead Island, and made by the same guys who made Dead Island?

Can we just skip ahead a few weeks and gas the thread now?

I would rather hear the details of just how bad the game is at launch and then, when the devs release a patch, how it has somehow gotten worse.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You say that like it might not happen.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I hope they accidently release the Dev version like they did with Dead Island
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxuoEvOczX4&t=129s

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 16, 2015

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
its dead island with parkour and a spec-ops style story where "omg your actions caused the deaths of so many innocents why would you do this!?" *player has no choice but to cause the death of so many innocents to progress*

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

quote:

Will there be an option to use vehicles in the game? There’s a lot of cars standing around in gameplay videos.

Harran is littered with cars, and originally we intended to give the players ability to drive. However, during testing, it turned out that our Natural Movement simply eliminates the need for driving. There was just no incentive to limit yourself to driving, when you could get anywhere quickly and efficiently using Natural Movement.

:negative:

Guess having fun isn't something that can exist with their concept of quickness and efficiency.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fewd posted:

:negative:

Guess having fun isn't something that can exist with their concept of quickness and efficiency.

Killing everything, especially other players with cars was their last invasion mechanic. Besides, they would just break the need to parkqor everything when the car will scale the building or float across the entire map for you.

Or it just too much effort to program drivable cars.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Fewd posted:

Why would you want to gas the thread when instead it can have pages after pages of goons bitching, complaining and crying about getting scammed by Techland once again?
Gunslinger was great. :shrug:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Yall are crazy to hate Dead Island.

quote:

I got a zombie army and you can't harm me
Who do you voodoo, Bitch?
Drink blood like a vampire without warning
Who do you voodoo, Bitch? (Stand up)

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So does anyone know which shady CD key site I can buy this from which includes the be the zombie mode?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And I finally got to see how co-op works in theory. Quadruplets being led around by a snotty dev into showing off their stupid challenge system. At least it gets better when people start blowing themselves up with firecrackers.

"Come on, people. Participate!"

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 17, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm one of those rare people who played a lot of Dead Island 1, I got Sam B up to Level 70 the hard way (Console) and enjoyed it, the plot was beyond stupid, the character dialogue and interactions was terrible, all the protagonists acted like sociopaths lunatics, and lets not forget the rape scene in Dead Island 1 too, it wasn't shown on screen but it was, the "novel" based on the game made it incredibly explicit what happened.

So, why do I like this game again after all this? I like beating Zombies up with planks of wood and dropkicking everything to death.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Have you considered playing dead rising, an actual good game, that is everything dead island wanted to be and more but utterly failed at?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dead Island was a neat first try, I feel. If this turns out to be the "sequel" that actually makes good on Dead Island's potential, then it'll probably be alright. Though goddamn I really have to force myself to care about anything with zombies in it these days

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
After minutes upon minutes of thoughtful consideration, I think I will eventually pick this game up. It seems like the perfect choice for a bunch of stores to sell for $25 or so on Black Friday. It'll probably even be the "GOTY" edition by then with all the DLC and pre-order bullshit included.

Until then I look forward to reading the rage from people who pay $60 for it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anatharon posted:

Have you considered playing dead rising, an actual good game, that is everything dead island wanted to be and more but utterly failed at?

The only two halfway good or unique things Dead Island did that Dead Rising 2 didn't was having a massive map with no loading, and being in first-person. Then Dead Rising 3 came out and took care of that first one, so now there literally is no reason to play Dead Island because who gives a poo poo about first-person?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Anatharon posted:

Yes, I've plated Dead Rising 1, 2 and Off The Record, but now own a PS4, and Capcon chose not to bring DR3 here.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

who gives a poo poo about first-person?

I do because first-person view is superior to third-person for nearly everything and doesn't have issues with lovely camera angles 95% of the time. Also because :pcgaming:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I had a poo poo ton of fun with the first Dead Island, yeah it was buggy in places but it didn't stop me from loving the melee combat and hilarious zombie ragdoll physics. I'm going to wait to see some first impressions when this comes out, but if it's like Dead Island but slightly shinier and jumpier, then count me in.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Judge Tesla posted:

Yes, I've plated Dead Rising 1, 2 and Off The Record, but now own a PS4, and Capcon chose not to bring DR3 here.

You also own a PC though, so if it's good enough there is an option.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Does this game have an emotional CG trailer like Dead Island?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvWGLcdI8o8

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

NaDy posted:

I had a poo poo ton of fun with the first Dead Island, yeah it was buggy in places but it didn't stop me from loving the melee combat and hilarious zombie ragdoll physics. I'm going to wait to see some first impressions when this comes out, but if it's like Dead Island but slightly shinier and jumpier, then count me in.

Yeah I'm not getting the hate for the game itself. Had some of the best melee combat I'd seen since Dark Messiah, seeing the damage you deal to zombies was really cool as well. I've looked at a lot of streams, a lot of people just playing from promotions and I've gotta say it looks good. But I'm also not stupid, I'll let reviewers and other people get a hold of the game first.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

God I just want a game that throws it all in like zombies monsters robots, but a fun single player survival game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh come on, you just said you had nothing but good experiences with the Dead Island. Clearly that means you want to pay $79.99 for Dying Light: Ultimate Edition that will clearly be worth getting!

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
There are some playthroughs on youtube, the openworld plus parkour looked good but the combat seems awful with a stamina bar that let you do 4 attacks and weapons that breaks after 10 hits.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Internet Kraken posted:

How come everyone is making all these open world survival games about zombies?
Hmm yes why does everybody create games in a genre that sells like hotcakes even when the titles turn out to be poo poo? One wonders...

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope there is some way to repair weapons, especially considering there are unique artifact weapons in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE4is7nLjoI&t=2281s

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope there is some way to repair weapons, especially considering there are unique artifact weapons in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE4is7nLjoI&t=2281s

The weapon breaks and stays ineffective until you repair it with scrap metal or something like that. The guy I watched on youtube played really bad so maybe it is not that bad.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 19, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Weapons seem to have limited amounts of repairs until they break permanently. There is a skill you can get that has a chance of any repair not taking up one of those limited charges, but they're going to make you hoard those orange goofy weapons for the sake of IMMERSION.

But at least there is one good gag weapon playing around with elements of the other Techland game coming out, Hellraid.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

After seeing that video I really wonder why they make the combat so tedious. The movement looks superfun and if you could just kill a zombie with a swing seeing its head fly off it would be an amazing game right there. But nope for some reason it takes like 4-5 swings to kill the most basic zombie with a stick? Really? I understand going for immersion but don't sacrifice 100% of fun for that. If they need to have weapons break down - make them still useful for an extended amount of time, if they need a stamina bar - still let people have fun swinging weapons, let me see that fantastic decapitation engine in action instead of making me plink away at the stupid zombie. Night time is the difficult part anyway so why make the day time so tedious? I can see a fun game right there but they insist on fumbling it.

The basic zombies aren't even a threat - you can run into them and they don't make it in time to hit you so why not make them cannon fodder and let me easily smash their brains for fun? Also you can run like a maniac and scale buildings up and down all day but you lose your breath after a couple of swings? That doesn't make sense even from the immersion perspective. I hope we get rebalance mods as soon as the game releases like with Dead Island.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread