Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Crabtree posted:

Weapons seem to have limited amounts of repairs until they break permanently.

Seriously? That is extremely stupid and annoying. I already disliked repairing some items in Dead Island because I don't know what third world shithole Techland is from where they make crowbars out of cardboard, but over here on this planet crowbars don't break when you hit someone in the face with them.

Hopefully someone will mod repair limits away. Or repairs gone completely. gently caress repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Palpek posted:

After seeing that video I really wonder why they make the combat so tedious. The movement looks superfun and if you could just kill a zombie with a swing seeing its head fly off it would be an amazing game right there. But nope for some reason it takes like 4-5 swings to kill the most basic zombie with a stick? Really? I understand going for immersion but don't sacrifice 100% of fun for that. If they need to have weapons break down - make them still useful for an extended amount of time, if they need a stamina bar - still let people have fun swinging weapons, let me see that fantastic decapitation engine in action instead of making me plink away at the stupid zombie. Night time is the difficult part anyway so why make the day time so tedious? I can see a fun game right there but they insist on fumbling it.

The basic zombies aren't even a threat - you can run into them and they don't make it in time to hit you so why not make them cannon fodder and let me easily smash their brains for fun? Also you can run like a maniac and scale buildings up and down all day but you lose your breath after a couple of swings? That doesn't make sense even from the immersion perspective. I hope we get rebalance mods as soon as the game releases like with Dead Island.

I understand that at early levels you can run so hard that you black out.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
i love that weapons break so *shrug*

Something is satisfying about cracking a board in half on a zombies skull and then scrounging for something else to jam through their head.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Palpek posted:

After seeing that video I really wonder why they make the combat so tedious. The movement looks superfun and if you could just kill a zombie with a swing seeing its head fly off it would be an amazing game right there. But nope for some reason it takes like 4-5 swings to kill the most basic zombie with a stick? Really? I understand going for immersion but don't sacrifice 100% of fun for that. If they need to have weapons break down - make them still useful for an extended amount of time, if they need a stamina bar - still let people have fun swinging weapons, let me see that fantastic decapitation engine in action instead of making me plink away at the stupid zombie. Night time is the difficult part anyway so why make the day time so tedious? I can see a fun game right there but they insist on fumbling it.

The basic zombies aren't even a threat - you can run into them and they don't make it in time to hit you so why not make them cannon fodder and let me easily smash their brains for fun? Also you can run like a maniac and scale buildings up and down all day but you lose your breath after a couple of swings? That doesn't make sense even from the immersion perspective. I hope we get rebalance mods as soon as the game releases like with Dead Island.

:agreed:

But I'm thinking it's mainly a progression thing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fewd posted:

Seriously? That is extremely stupid and annoying. I already disliked repairing some items in Dead Island because I don't know what third world shithole Techland is from where they make crowbars out of cardboard, but over here on this planet crowbars don't break when you hit someone in the face with them.

Hopefully someone will mod repair limits away. Or repairs gone completely. gently caress repairs.

As already said, they likely want a "hidden" build-up to the player realizing that they don't even really need weapons when elemental combos, venders spawning free orange level tools after enough supply crates are regularly turned into quartermasters and skills such as the dropkick show that the environment will never stop giving you means to kill poo poo more effectively than any bat with electrodes attached to it or what-have-you. The problem is that I already figured that out after watching the game for 10 minutes and I still want the option to use my cartoonish claymore more than 40 swings. But there's always hope someone on the level of whoever made this makes some Fist of the Dead Star like mods.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Also the headstomp from Dead Island is back, as it the dropkick, so who needs weapons?

Which really makes the usual Techland lack of customization a shame, because you could be Dusty Rhodes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Who do you voodoo, Bitch

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hakkesshu posted:

But I'm thinking it's mainly a progression thing.
I hope so too. Still more games need to let you have fun from the start instead of making you work for it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Still on the fence about trusting Dying Light, well let some guy from TGN tell you that the reason Dead Island 1 sucked was clearly because of Deep Silver. Now that Warner Bros. Games has devoured them whole, Techland will be allowed to make the serious AAA Next-Gen Zombie Sandbox we've all wanted.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I will not be buying this game on launch because I do not trust the people making it but I really want it to be good because it looks interesting and I certainly have not heard of a better tag line for 'poo poo's about to go down' than "Good night - and good luck" in a long time.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I hope they accidently release the Dev version like they did with Dead Island
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxuoEvOczX4&t=129s

I had forgotten about this. Yeah, Dead Island really was a mess at Day 1. I think I'll hold on pre-ordering, and maybe pick it up a few days after launch if peeps say it doesn't have issues.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am optimistic about this game mainly because the game play seems more action oriented than DI. It seems more Far Cry than Borderlands. The city along with the day/night cycle and weather system seems really good. Like many others in this thread though, since its techland I am worried about general jank, and boring repetitive mission design. Not going to be a day one purchase but I will eagerly await others impressions in this thread.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, the expected Jank and already existent developer excuses for the limitations of Dying Light, such as admitting to forcing 30 FPS console parity across all versions of the game and that Night cycles are only going to last 7 minutes because its “made grown men cry”, aren’t going to be a surprise. They’re all just the pieces of the hopeful punchline haters like me want to see leading to Day One rage over giving Techland more money than they deserve. What’s seriously more concerning is whether Techland can handle making a virtual interpretation of Istanbul with Harran as the setting of their video game, let alone keep it tasteful.

They hosed up populating a stereotypical tropical island twice and are delaying shipping physical copies to the “few select territories” of the Middle East, Asia, Australia and Europe, so there can only be hope for the best of ideas weighing down generally slightly improved combat, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011
There was some internet susurration about having to kill some people of Muslim faith in one mission or another, so here it goes again.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
That to, but I don't like that Techland has one good idea - model the city of Istanbul or any sort of game visit Turkey - and decides to squander it on another goddamn zombie game.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Honestly, the expected Jank and already existent developer excuses for the limitations of Dying Light, such as admitting to forcing 30 FPS console parity across all versions of the game

He's only speaking of console versions there, not PC. Don't see anything odd about that, consoles have their limitations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Fewd posted:

He's only speaking of console versions there, not PC. Don't see anything odd about that, consoles have their limitations.

You really want to believe that Techland would put in the effort to allow the PC any more graphical fidelity? That they wouldn't just take whatever hits the bare minimum of functionality and slap a $60 price tag on it?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Really hoping this can easily be edited. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011
Calling it now, none of this stuff can be edited because you have to always be online for the invasions, even if you turn those off. :shepface:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah, only 7 minutes, really? Not only does that kill immersion, but it also limits one of the more interesting aspect of the game itself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Short nights could be good if they were intense enough and what you are doing during the day feels like you are really preparing for the night. I don't know if that is actually the case but it's not objectively a bad thing.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Seven minutes still seems short though. I wouldn't necessarily want night to be realistically long, but seven doesn't even sound like that long for anything to happen, unless nights are just ridiculously dangerous.

Orv
May 4, 2011

imperialparadox posted:

Seven minutes still seems short though. I wouldn't necessarily want night to be realistically long, but seven doesn't even sound like that long for anything to happen, unless nights are just ridiculously dangerous.

That's what they've been implying. Superzombies with the same parkour ability, even faster than you mind, come out at night and hunt you down if you get anywhere near them. Along with other Dead Island style minibosses. Whether the ratio of day/night is ultimately meaningful, ehhhh.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

The thing I didn't like about Dead Island, and which this game is apparently guilty of as well, is that there is really no sense of danger or urgency. Zombie bit you? Just shrug it off; you're immune. Y'know, because of [plot]. Also, here... have a shitload of health.

Give me a real survival experience with a constant sense of doom. Clearly, they were sort of aiming for that with the nighttime aggressiveness / hunter, but I don't think it is enough. I guess I'm just tired of being special in games. I'd much rather have a cast of characters with perma-death / zombification on a bite... you could even add character amputations... and add safehouse-like management for the handicapped members, while the fit ones head out during the daytime to scavenge supplies.

You could even meet your zombified ex-party members outside, kind of like with Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system.

But... I guess I'm asking for too much. :qq:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Paranoid Peanut posted:

The thing I didn't like about Dead Island, and which this game is apparently guilty of as well, is that there is really no sense of danger or urgency. Zombie bit you? Just shrug it off; you're immune. Y'know, because of [plot]. Also, here... have a shitload of health.

Give me a real survival experience with a constant sense of doom. Clearly, they were sort of aiming for that with the nighttime aggressiveness / hunter, but I don't think it is enough. I guess I'm just tired of being special in games. I'd much rather have a cast of characters with perma-death / zombification on a bite... you could even add character amputations... and add safehouse-like management for the handicapped members, while the fit ones head out during the daytime to scavenge supplies.

You could even meet your zombified ex-party members outside, kind of like with Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system.

You could just play Project Zomboid.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paranoid Peanut posted:

In this genre, hell yeah. Blackguy32 is right though, what you're looking for is Zomboid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There are a million zombie games that actually try to implements realistic survival models, like check 80% of Early Access right now. I don't know why you want more of those.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

OK, guess the thing would be how do you port those concepts into this engine?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paranoid Peanut posted:

OK, guess the thing would be how do you port those concepts into this engine?

:shrug: If you did your limbs would probably just fall off at random intervals or something.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hey guys i was wondering if there was a way to make this game a space-sim?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest reason I'm on the fence. What I have seen doesn't seem like it's much of a challenge. I was watching a gameplay video and this guy jumped in through the top of a bus, which was promptly swarmed as the zombies outside piled into it, which was cool as hell...but what does he do to get out of the bus? He casually whacks a few away without a bat without taking any damage and walks off. Everything I have seen makes it look like you can pretty much sleep through it and never worry about playing strategically at all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

There are a million zombie games that actually try to implements realistic survival models, like check 80% of Early Access right now. I don't know why you want more of those.

The problem is most of those sperg out over tactical survivalist bullshit that trades in your heroic plot armor for living the life of an extra. People still want to be the hero, but they want to be able to earn it with a healthy difficulty curve tailored to the zombie survival setting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It would be nice if more devs tried to find a nice middle ground between a hardcore simulator where you have to make sure you dry your pants out after swimming and a whack a mole game where the moles just stand there.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I though Dead Island did a pretty reasonable job with how threatening the zombies were. As in they would be being pretty harmless when spread out or in small numbers but if there was enough in a small area they were overwhelming. Having to hit them a few times to kill them fit into this.

That all went out of the window with all the weird enemies that spit, explode and charge at you and all the human bad guys that needed to be shot.

I liked Dead Island though. It was rough around the edges but the first person melee was fun for me, there's a weight to the strikes that hit you that Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV didn't have.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

McSpanky posted:

The problem is most of those sperg out over tactical survivalist bullshit that trades in your heroic plot armor for living the life of an extra. People still want to be the hero, but they want to be able to earn it with a healthy difficulty curve tailored to the zombie survival setting.
Also a game where getting even slightly nibbled by a zombie leading to death within minutes might be slightly poo poo. Granted I imagine the crazy hardcore gaming crowd might like a difficulty mode like that I suppose where getting one bite means game over. But basing a entire game around it would be brutal.

Even games with a 'proper' infection mechanic give leeway to cure / delay your horrible demise. I've still got my fingers crossed this isn't terrible, because it kind of looks like what ZombieU could've been if it wasn't so 'meh' when it came out.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Crabtree posted:

You really want to believe that Techland would put in the effort to allow the PC any more graphical fidelity? That they wouldn't just take whatever hits the bare minimum of functionality and slap a $60 price tag on it?

I guess? At least enough that I wouldn't present something they never said as a fact? :shrug:

You could write a book about reasons to hate Techland, so it's not like we got a shortage of material without making up more.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
OK I'm curious- why does anyone have a bad opinion of them? I thought that Western FPS and dead Island were both heckuv fun.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

echronorian posted:

OK I'm curious- why does anyone have a bad opinion of them? I thought that Western FPS and dead Island were both heckuv fun.

I had forgotten that Techland had done Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Maybe I should re-think my pre-order stance, 'cause that was a genuinely good game at launch as I recall..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I thought the second one was good too, a genuinely overlooked game.

• Locked thread