Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

probably trying to capitalize on Evolve's preorder follies because now the Zombie Mode is no longer tied to preorder http://kotaku.com/dying-lights-add-on-multiplayer-mode-be-the-zombie-wi-1681342704

I dont know about that as I havent seen any confirmation about that from the devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pre-order bonuses are supposed to be extra fluff and not actual additional game modes because that divides the playerbase and makes those modes empty which is terrible for people who paid for them. The same goes for extra modes exclusive to Season Passes, DLCs etc. I have no loving idea why any publisher considers idiotic ideas like that to be still a thing. But on the other hand Deep Silver has always been known for copying dumb marketting concepts without actually considering their purpose or understanding what makes them work.

Sure that CoD has map packs but that's because it's CoD and other studios should really get over themsleves instead of putting man hours into content nobody will play.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 23, 2015

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

wjs5 posted:

I dont know about that as I havent seen any confirmation about that from the devs.

I haven't seen anything official about it either, however Techlands facebook page says "We have one more announcement to make in a few hours, so stay tuned..."

Maybe.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
"This Is What a Maxed Out Character in Dying Light Looks Like"

So many games fail to make good power-up progression, I really hope this is not another case of "now that you are at the end of the game you can have fun"

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Their retail disk delay is a month :pwn: That's some serious incompetence.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

quote:

Dear gamers,

As you already know, today we detailed our launch timing for Dying Light. Although the changes affect only the release of boxed copies in certain territories, we want to show all of you our appreciation for your continued support. Thus, we’re really happy to announce that “Be the Zombie” will be available for FREE to everyone, on all platforms, in all territories.

We’ll also be giving away extra weapon dockets to everyone who pre-ordered Dying Light and signed up at http://dockets.dyinglightgame.com. If you haven't registered your pre-order, do so now to receive those extra weapon dockets.

We want to thank you for your patience and support in this matter and can’t wait for you to enjoy playing Dying Light and invading other players’ game in the “Be the Zombie” mode. The video below can give you a glimpse of what you can expect to experience...

Once again, thank you for your patience and support.

The Dying Light Team

Well I guess we know now, this was from the FB page.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Palpek posted:

Pre-order bonuses are supposed to be extra fluff and not actual additional game modes because that divides the playerbase and makes those modes empty which is terrible for people who paid for them. The same goes for extra modes exclusive to Season Passes, DLCs etc. I have no loving idea why any publisher considers idiotic ideas like that to be still a thing. But on the other hand Deep Silver has always been known for copying dumb marketting concepts without actually considering their purpose or understanding what makes them work.

Sure that CoD has map packs but that's because it's CoD and other studios should really get over themsleves instead of putting man hours into content nobody will play.

Seeing as Techland ran to WB Games to make Dying Light they're naturally going to try to shove content behind a season pass until they can feel the money they're losing from preorders.

But I guess this means there's something to fear in this game now, online invasions from cheaters. :smuggo:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Wonder if they add something to pre-ordering now? I mean, as it is now, you only get some lovely crowbar that'll break permanently after a little use.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Fewd posted:

Wonder if they add something to pre-ordering now? I mean, as it is now, you only get some lovely crowbar that'll break permanently after a little use.

I'm trying to register my PSN pre-order. Supposed to get 6 "weapon dockets" that you can trade in-game for some crap.

EDIT

Yeah, just finished. You need your order # and you fill out some stuff, then link your PS4/Xbone/Steam account. Then the site says they'll send you 6 Dockets in the game. I think the earlier you do it, the more dockets you get. On the main page it had "6 Weeks to release = 6 Dockets" So I guess it goes down each week?

I will have 6 lovely 2x4s while other lowly plebs only get 5 or less :smuggo:

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 23, 2015

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Static Rook posted:

I'm trying to register my PSN pre-order. Supposed to get 6 "weapon dockets" that you can trade in-game for some crap.

EDIT

Yeah, just finished. You need your order # and you fill out some stuff, then link your PS4/Xbone/Steam account. Then the site says they'll send you 6 Dockets in the game. I think the earlier you do it, the more dockets you get. On the main page it had "6 Weeks to release = 6 Dockets" So I guess it goes down each week?

I will have 6 lovely 2x4s while other lowly plebs only get 5 or less :smuggo:

Note that when you redeem them in game they are level scaling so maybe wait after first level.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
What is a docket?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brackhar posted:

What is a docket?

A manila folder full of weapons. :raise:

Or something even less likely.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Well, since the invasion game mode is no longer a pre-order exclusive, I'll likely be picking this up on day 1. See you guys there!

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Pre-load is up on Steam 11.6gb download.

I'm sure everyone will rush to let Alienware spam your email for a sick Alienware shirt you can wear in-game!!!!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Huh, fair bit larger than I was expecting.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Orv posted:

Huh, fair bit larger than I was expecting.

It's actually smaller than I was expecting, considering Dead Island was like 9.5 gigs or so and that was quite a while ago. Considering how good this looks in videos I was expecting another 20 gig monster.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Glad they aren'y holding back invasion mode anymore. If we were smarter we would all just stop buying any game that withholds content to get people to buy games in a fashion the publisher wants. gently caress pre orders so hard. I miss the days that pre ordering scored you some cheesy knick knack versus not preordering netting you an incomplete version of a game you just paid full price for.

Watch it turn out to be a poo poo mode anyways.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 24, 2015

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Is there a place to get this super cheap for PC? Like through a VPN proxy or is GMG coupon the way to go?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Greenman and Amazon have it for slightly cheaper steam codes, but not by much. It's going to take a few months to see big discounts depending on how successful Dying Light is sales wise, which is likely very well because people eat up anything involving zombies.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 24, 2015

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Greenman and Amazon have it for slightly cheaper steam codes, but not by much. It's going to take a few months to see big discounts depending on how successful Dying Light is sales wise, which is likely because people eat up anything involving zombies.

GMG has a 20% off code: 20PERO-FFDIGI-GAMESX

G2A had the game for about £22, they've since run out of keys and the current price is £26.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
There's several people streaming the game on twitch tonight. It looks...pretty drat good actually.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

snodig posted:

There's several people streaming the game on twitch tonight. It looks...pretty drat good actually.

I've heard the devs say that Dying Light is what they wanted Dead Island to be.

...except this game looks a lot dustier and less tourist-y.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Things I've noticed:

- the parkour looks smooth as hell.
- good weather effects - especially the wind rustling in the trees and grass.
- haven't seen any bugs!
- for people on console: stable fps.
- night time is DARK and genuinely scary.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So can you stealth-kill the volatiles at night or are you just supposed to stay the hell away from them at all costs, like the Alien in Isolation?

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
It looks like you stay the hell away from everything at night.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

ZZZorcerer posted:

"This Is What a Maxed Out Character in Dying Light Looks Like"

So many games fail to make good power-up progression, I really hope this is not another case of "now that you are at the end of the game you can have fun"

I recall some dev stream where they mentioned new game+, so there's that at least.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I didn't even know about that zombie invasion mode. That sounds rad as hell and I'm very happy they decided to open it up to everyone. Now I can wait until launch and see if the game is an example of Good Techland or Bad Techland.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

I was not aware of the insane pc requirements. 16GB memory?!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

snodig posted:

I was not aware of the insane pc requirements. 16GB memory?!

its probably just like shadow of mordors ultra pc requirements. overly exaggerated.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This game is gonna own. I can sort of confirm this. First wave of real current gen games begins. . Now!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Palpek posted:

Gunslinger is one of the best FPSes in recent years though. Like it's not just ok, it's loving amazing.

Gunslinger works because it was an dumb arcadey shooter that was a lot of fun. It didn't have leveling or open world missions or weapon repairs or yada yada: it was incredibly straightforward and the devs were able to really focus in on what they needed to do to make the game great. They were also able to minimize the impact of bugs and limitations by restricting a lot of what the player could do/where the player could go, but they hid that pretty well and used the gameplay to draw you away from those things.

Dead Island did not work because they tried to do way too much with it. The developers simply weren't able to deliver on everything that they wanted and ended up cutting way too many corners. Missions were repetitive and boring but they were there and took up time, so whatever. Multiplayer didn't add anything to the game, but it was there so whatever. Combat too easy? Make weapons deteriorate. Combat too hard? Simplify the enemy AI. Combat too boring? Eh, that's subjective and we're done working on it. Rather than fix anything or play to their strengths, they just half-assed everything and figured there was too much content to pick out any one major flaw.

When Techland focus on making a straightforward and fun game, it totally works. When they try to make a complicated game with a lot of interacting systems, it becomes boring and convoluted. I hope this ends up being more of the former, but all of the videos I've seen so far seem a lot like the latter.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Who do you voodoo, bitch

Actually you're wrong, the co-op in Dead Island was one of the best experiences on ps3

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dead Island was awesome until you got to the sewers. Those were awful, the jungle was okay but nowhere near as good as the resort and city areas and the prison was almost as bad as the sewers.

Also the Butcher zombie type was ridiculous.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I thought the sewers were cool and spooky but to each their own

Jungle did suck but eh, I happily played the first 6 hours of that game over and over.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 25, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I don't believe Dying Light will be very good. All I see is a combination of Deadly Island, and Mirror's Edge, and even though I thought Mirror's Edge was a solid game, the whole zombie simulation game genre is oversaturated. The whole day/night thing is bleh because Dead Rising did something similar. No big whoop. I'll probably, eventually, purchase this game when it's like $9.99 @ a steam sale.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zurreco posted:

Gunslinger works because it was an dumb arcadey shooter that was a lot of fun. It didn't have leveling

gunslinger had a skill tree.

you will never escape skill trees!!!!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anime Curator posted:

The whole day/night thing is bleh because Dead Rising did something similar. No big whoop.

In Dead Rising the zombies become more aggressive and resilient. From what I've seen in Dying Light the whole game changes at night into a stealth game where the zombies will seriously gently caress you up if they catch you.

To be honest I hope I'm wrong about that and you can just outrun or outfight them at night if you really want to, because I really don't want to see stealth mechanics from Techland.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Republicans posted:

Dead Island was awesome until you got to the sewers. Those were awful, the jungle was okay but nowhere near as good as the resort and city areas and the prison was almost as bad as the sewers.

The city area (minus sewers) was my favorite area in Dead Island. So far I haven't seen anything except a huge rear end city area in Dying Light so that's at least promising.

Has there been any information what rest of the areas in Dying Light are like? While city is nice and all, that better not be all that there is.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Republicans posted:

In Dead Rising the zombies become more aggressive and resilient. From what I've seen in Dying Light the whole game changes at night into a stealth game where the zombies will seriously gently caress you up if they catch you.

To be honest I hope I'm wrong about that and you can just outrun or outfight them at night if you really want to, because I really don't want to see stealth mechanics from Techland.

Every video I've seen just has the person running like hell at night and it doesn't last long anyway, so I imagine this will be viable. They're kind of making a mountain out of a mole hill with this night stuff, it looks cool but not THAT cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Would anyone be interested in a 4 pack? I've got a friend interested and we're both looking around the communities we frequent for the other 2 people.

I can buy so it would only be a matter of sending me the 45$US via Paypal as a gift to avoid fees.

1. Me
2. My friend
3. DontMindMe
4. My friend's guy

I might not be home much today so it may take a while for me to get back to you if someone is interested.

Edit : Purchased and all gifts sent!

Hemish fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 26, 2015

• Locked thread