Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Victoria Azarenka is basically the villain of the WTA tour, that is a hell of a random draw for the Australian Open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Day 2! :classiclol:

Hopefully Sloane and Vika shows it was wrong to put them on Hisense. Bring on the medical timeouts! ;)

Edit: I am underwhelmed.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 20, 2015

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Sloane is terrible.

Poor Heather Watson. :britain: She had a good tournament win last week, including beating Stephens, and maybe the pressure people were starting to dump on her got to her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Sloane is terrible.

Poor Heather Watson. :britain: She had a good tournament win last week, including beating Stephens, and maybe the pressure people were starting to dump on her got to her.
Pironkova is a solid player, but that was not a good showing by Heather.

Sloane is a dumpster fire. I don't like Vika -- she's off-putting and lacks self-awareness, but she deserved the win.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Stephens is pretty awful; I'm not a huge Azarenka fan but, at top form, she's a pretty legit player.

Also, Bouchard's section of the draw opens up again :rolleyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Love watching Nishikori playing against big servers. Almagro has a dozen aces on him and yet Kei is 2 sets up after winning a 7-1 tiebreak

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What the hell is wrong with Woza? Not putting any distance between herself and Taylor Townsend.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Nobody cares about the first rounds.

Actually no one generally cares about the tennis threads in SAS anyway, but usually the 8 or so posters will show up once the quarters are set.

I care about the first rounds. :smith: I just can't watch much at the Aussie because of the time difference and work hours. But coincidentally I do have next week off so hopefully I'll be able to watch at least the late part of evening sessions starting Saturday. I hate following it through just scorelines.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
[...]
4. C Wozniacki 10/1
5. V Azarenka 12/1

Pretty funny that they have to play each other in the second round now. Wonder if this is one of those times where the organizational committee might have been well served not to just rely on the WTA rankings and actually give Azarenka a seed of some kind.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I love Aga, and the new coaching arrangement seems to be bearing fruit already.

Pro: Her serve seems stronger.
Con: She is not currently repping The Cheesecake Factory

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I'm just curious from the Tennis veterans in here -- has anyone else have such consistently high Aces per Game & Avg First Serve Speed(in KM/h :canada: ). His serve is magical, anytime I watch him do it, I'm in awe.

Does he have a good chance to win a Grand Slam at some point, assuming the big 4 are all retired/on their last legs.

It seems to me the next big 4 would be Stan the man, Milos, and... (Tsonga? Murray?; has a few more years than Rafa/Feds/Novak I'd imagine).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hirez posted:

I'm just curious from the Tennis veterans in here -- has anyone else have such consistently high Aces per Game & Avg First Serve Speed(in KM/h :canada: ). His serve is magical, anytime I watch him do it, I'm in awe.

Does he have a good chance to win a Grand Slam at some point, assuming the big 4 are all retired/on their last legs.

It seems to me the next big 4 would be Stan the man, Milos, and... (Tsonga? Murray?; has a few more years than Rafa/Feds/Novak I'd imagine).
Are you talking about Raonic? He can't win as long as he faces a big 4. By the time they retire, others like Nishikori will have developed and be able to expose his backhand and lack of mobility.

Some pretty looking tennis to start the day with Goerges, Puig, and Witthoeft all on court.

edit: Witthoeft beat Christina McHale in 49 minutes 6-3 6-0. She plays like Bouchard without the ugly strokes. Looks as good on court as Bouchard too.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 21, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hirez posted:

Ivo Karlovic and John Isner both have serves that are at least as powerful as Milos' (if not better). However they're more deficient in other areas than he is.
Milos' problem is still his lack of an alternative when his opponent is returning well. His own return game is pretty lacklustre (he seldom gets many break opportunities) and his movement around the court isn't great either. It really shows when he plays a guy like Nishikori, or any of the big 3.

As for who the next wave of men's tennis players is, it's pretty hard to tell at this point. Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov are all pretty good but I don't see any being able to dominate like the current big 3 have. Beyond that you have some younger guys like Nick Kyrgios, Dominic Thiem and Borna Coric who are promising but it's a bit early to tell right now.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I love this tournament but man the times suck now that I have a job. I hope Federer wins but then again I want Dimitrov to do well and both those things can't happen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well Sharapova is down a break in the third set to rank 150 Alexandra Panova

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well Sharapova is down a break in the third set to rank 150 Alexandra Panova

Yeah just tuned in to that match. :aaaaa:

She will def try to slow things down now

Edit: slow between points, rushing through points

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Uh, well it looks like Maria is heading home soon.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Sharapova's play in the third set is disappointing. Last year she played many three set matches and practically every time even if she lost she gave it her all. She looks uncharacteristically listless.

e: the future of the men's game is grim as hell. People will be clinging on to Federer, Nadal, Djoko and Murray for years.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 21, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Ivo Karlovic and John Isner both have serves that are at least as powerful as Milos' (if not better). However they're more deficient in other areas than he is.
Milos' problem is still his lack of an alternative when his opponent is returning well. His own return game is pretty lacklustre (he seldom gets many break opportunities) and his movement around the court isn't great either. It really shows when he plays a guy like Nishikori, or any of the big 3.

As for who the next wave of men's tennis players is, it's pretty hard to tell at this point. Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov are all pretty good but I don't see any being able to dominate like the current big 3 have. Beyond that you have some younger guys like Nick Kyrgios, Dominic Thiem and Borna Coric who are promising but it's a bit early to tell right now.
Best of his generation Borna Coric :lol:

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Turn this around now Masha!

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

Sharapova still alive, 5-5 in the third after saving a couple match points...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow, a scare for Sharapova there. After the first half of that set I didn't think she could come back

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Sharapova's play in the third set is disappointing. Last year she played many three set matches and practically every time even if she lost she gave it her all. She looks uncharacteristically listless.

e: the future of the men's game is grim as hell. People will be clinging on to Federer, Nadal, Djoko and Murray for years.

Kyrikkos is going to be one of the names to keep an eye on. Kids a natural, like Djoko was. The fact that he hit the top 20 already is saying a lot.

The womens bracket though....is bleak. there is not a single name i care about playing. But i got into tennis in the 90's heyday of Sampras and Aggassi, Graf and Hingis and Seles...I used to be able to hatewatch the Williams sisters (my grandmother was an old racist, and if nothing else imagining what she would be saying about them was a hilarious thing. Especially when they were dominating about 5 years back)

Sharapova and Serena are still playing but only because ATP is super lax about PEDs and if it wasnt for modern medicine would have stopped playing from injuries a long time ago (then again,they might not have torn themselves up so badly either...) and its showing in both their play.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
The Williams sisters had the smarts not to grind their joints into dust playing tons of rinky dink 500-level tournaments and their focus on big tournaments and majors has allowed them to play into their mid 30s where most WTA players break down before then. Sharapova is only 27.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm sure they're using all kinds of PEDs.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Seems Federer has a blister or something. Thats kind of a lovely thing to have on your hand as a tennis player.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This Kyrgios - Karlovic match is the epitome of big servers who can barely do anything else. Karlovic whiffed an overhead, and then Kyrgios walked away which let Karlovic hit it on the bounce into open court

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Nadal into a fifth with a qualifier lol.

Tomic is always great theatre even when he gets his choke on. When he is on though, he's good. I still think he'll rise as he matures. It's his dumb kid mentality that holds him back. He'll win a slam at some point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MacDougall posted:

Nadal into a fifth with a qualifier lol.

Tomic is always great theatre even when he gets his choke on. When he is on though, he's good. I still think he'll rise as he matures. It's his dumb kid mentality that holds him back. He'll win a slam at some point.
Smyczek floats around 100 in the rankings so he's not entirely chopped liver, but this was actually really good for Nadal. He's sorely lacking in match practice. He gets a slightly better version next round in Dudi Sela so it shouldn't be a problem, especially since Sela has a one handed backhand.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
Delpo underwent minor wrist surgery yesterday :(

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/12201774/juan-martin-del-potro-surgery-left-wrist-again

I hope he returns to form soon, I was so hyped to watch him play this open. I love watching this big man hit laser forehands, move twice as fast as Raonic, and not fall over every other step like Dimitrov

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Waynebo posted:

Delpo underwent minor wrist surgery yesterday :(

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/12201774/juan-martin-del-potro-surgery-left-wrist-again

I hope he returns to form soon, I was so hyped to watch him play this open. I love watching this big man hit laser forehands, move twice as fast as Raonic, and not fall over every other step like Dimitrov
Delpo is the Derrick Rose of tennis.

Today's schedule looks pretty boring. Becker/Hewitt could be interesting and it'll be interesting if Giorgi can stay hot enough to take down Smitkova, but the only decent match is Azarenka/Wozniacki on Margaret Court Arena to start the night session at 3 a.m. Eastern.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Jerzy/Monfils could be cool. But yeah aside from that nothing else really jumps out at me. Well I'm personally pulling for the two Canadians too, obviously. Pospisil is first up on Court 13, his bracket has opened up a little bit with the two most immediate seeds (Dolgopolov and Fognini) both getting knocked out. Would be cool if he can make the R16.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This post-match interviewer is such a creepy old man. Last night he asks Bouchard for a twirl and today he says of Cibulkova, "You're a real fit tennis player. Just have a look at your body."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think my monitor is capable of displaying the color of Azarenka's dress, all these fluorescent outfits are terrible

And Woz continues to have terrible challenge management skills, she got burned by that in the WTA Finals

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 22, 2015

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

pat is loving him some raonic this morning can't stop talking about how much he's improved and said he will go up a couple ranks this year

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Genie vs Garcia starts now! This could be a good one.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

haha this game between Garcia and Bouchard just won't end. Deuce #9 :pwn:

e: no one can hold serve

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 23, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

fancyclown posted:

Genie vs Garcia starts now! This could be a good one.

The first set was, but Garcia seems to be crashing and burning now

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Roger is down a set and an early break to Seppi :ohdear:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Roger is down a set and an early break to Seppi :ohdear:
Nothing to worry about. No way Roger loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Man Federer kinda looks like poo poo this tournament.

• Locked thread