Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
it was a very boring part of the books

and the books are already very boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
"Tom is just really chill and mysterious and attractive to babes, like me." --Tolkien, to himself, probably

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
He's Ungoliant in person form.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

redshirt posted:

you are triggering my autism

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

you are triggering my autism

Think about it, man. It fits.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

redshirt posted:

Ugoliant is clearly said to have consumed herself, genius!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

i don't know op sorry good luck

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Iamblikhos posted:

Ugoliant is clearly said to have consumed herself, genius!

Thereby turning into Tom.

She's ageless as well, and exists before the Valar.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

redshirt posted:

She's ageless as well, and exists before the Valar.

literally shaking

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

bonestructure posted:

duh, oldest and fatherless

Duh I know about Iarwain Ben-adar but what is he?

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

redshirt posted:

Nah, she's pretty much clearly said to be gone.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

oh and sor-ron and smorg are cooler sounding that sow-ron and smowg btw

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Q: En tolkeelin the powerful guy or thing is a ?

A: Angel but you call it something Welsh or Nordic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
he's probably aule, the valar who made the physical world and was sauron's mentor and master before he fell

aule's supposed to be incredibly unaffected by the desire to possess or control things, and it explains why he basically looks the ring over and criticizes it as shoddy work. his wife, yavanna, is described as looking almost exactly like goldberry, and the valar in general aren't big on actively interfering with middle earth but do visit it on occasion (orome went there to hunt, etc.) which is consistent with him not getting involved with the ringbearer's quest

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

he's probably aule, the valar who made the physical world and was sauron's mentor and master before he fell

aule's supposed to be incredibly unaffected by the desire to possess or control things, and it explains why he basically looks the ring over and criticizes it as shoddy work. his wife, yavanna, is described as looking almost exactly like goldberry, and the valar in general aren't big on actively interfering with middle earth but do visit it on occasion (orome went there to hunt, etc.) which is consistent with him not getting involved with the ringbearer's quest

well I'll be damned

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

He's a rad gay little dude who is into prancing or some poo poo, who cares?!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tom Bombadil: He's the gayest little homo in all the land!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
tom bombadil eats rear end

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Matoi Ryuko posted:

he's actually one of the larger gays

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tom will be the subject of the next trilogy. The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Part 1:Hey Fiddle Diddle

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Tom Bombadil in the Fourth Age:

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Solid analysis, Tuxedo Catfish. But isn't Aule in Valinor? And really, how long did Sauron exist as "Mairon" before Melkor in all of his badass-ery corrupt him?

Edit: but really that is really good and potentially makes a ton of sense, especially compared to the witch king of angmar bullshit

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Hes Morgoth.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

he's actually one of the larger gays

I remember him being even smaller than a hobbit, perhaps someone better versed in Tolkien's works than I could answer this?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

psyopmonkey posted:

Hes Morgoth.

His name is Melkor. Morgoth is his slave name.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I remember him being even smaller than a hobbit, perhaps someone better versed in Tolkien's works than I could answer this?

Taller than a hobbit, smaller than a man iirc

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

He's just a gay lil' god who likes to get stoned all day and doesn't want some boring ring drama harshing his buzz.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

His name is Melkor. Morgoth is his slave name.

*Cracks whip*

Yah name... is Morgoth. Boy.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Matoi Ryuko posted:

no he was a real big dude

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

no he was a real big dude

He's the most chilled out dude in middle earth. I don't know why he just doesn't live in hobbiton.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Santheb posted:

Solid analysis, Tuxedo Catfish. But isn't Aule in Valinor? And really, how long did Sauron exist as "Mairon" before Melkor in all of his badass-ery corrupt him?

it's not mine, it's just that out of all the theories i've read it's the one that requires the fewest crazy leaps

as to the second question he was at least around long enough to learn the art of smithing and forging from aule, which he later put to work to make the rings. so somewhere between being sung into existence and the first age, i guess

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Every time I hear the name Tom Bombadil, I mentally start singing this terrible song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9HBzXitoGc

What's the Tom Bombadillio, dillio.
What's the Tom Bombadil - DIL!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
it's all about context, op!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Every time I hear the name Tom Bombadil, I mentally start singing this terrible song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9HBzXitoGc

What's the Tom Bombadillio, dillio.
What's the Tom Bombadil - DIL!

that should have been his theme song

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's not mine, it's just that out of all the theories i've read it's the one that requires the fewest crazy leaps

as to the second question he was at least around long enough to learn the art of smithing and forging from aule, which he later put to work to make the rings. so somewhere between being sung into existence and the first age, i guess

:science:

It is a good theory for sure. It's just... why would Aule leave Valinor? If he was part of the War of Wrath, wouldn't that mean he would of had to come from Valinor to Middle Earth? And, assuming that, wasn't Tommy B already in Middle Earth at that time?

So confusing

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

hey... hey man

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

wanta smell my fingerse

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
He could have done everything himself but he is immune to giving any fucks

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's a symbol of how retarded everything in the LOTR universe is outside of the main books.

LOTR had some of the worst EU, it practically invented having bad EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Santheb posted:

:science:

It is a good theory for sure. It's just... why would Aule leave Valinor? If he was part of the War of Wrath, wouldn't that mean he would of had to come from Valinor to Middle Earth? And, assuming that, wasn't Tommy B already in Middle Earth at that time?

So confusing

Quantum Entangled Bombadil.

• Locked thread