Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'd smoke a pipe weed with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Zeike posted:

He could have done everything himself but he is immune to giving any fucks

"Too careless"

--Gandalf

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psyopmonkey posted:

Quantum Entangled Bombadil.

You're wanted, Dr. Bombadil. In the test chamber.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

gnarlyhotep posted:

Longbottom leaf.

Its high in CBDs.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

that should have been his theme song

This is his theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOVrUuq-9k

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Santheb posted:

:science:

It is a good theory for sure. It's just... why would Aule leave Valinor? If he was part of the War of Wrath, wouldn't that mean he would of had to come from Valinor to Middle Earth? And, assuming that, wasn't Tommy B already in Middle Earth at that time?

So confusing

the valar are p. much gods / archangels, i'm not sure being in two places at once is completely off the table

when elrond talks about the "oldest and fatherless" or whatever he's not sure that tom bombadil is the exact same being, only that they might be related somehow. it could be a case sort of like gandalf's -- he's both an immortal maiar spirit, who the elves know of from before he was gandalf, but he got special permission to be incarnated as a living being who can age and die in order to help men and the other mortal races.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

he's probably aule, the valar who made the physical world and was sauron's mentor and master before he fell

aule's supposed to be incredibly unaffected by the desire to possess or control things, and it explains why he basically looks the ring over and criticizes it as shoddy work. his wife, yavanna, is described as looking almost exactly like goldberry, and the valar in general aren't big on actively interfering with middle earth but do visit it on occasion (orome went there to hunt, etc.) which is consistent with him not getting involved with the ringbearer's quest

that's pretty sweet

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never got the obsession with LOTR EU, the story itself is good and interesting. Why would you ruin it with massive amounts of pointless retarded details and stories that have no relation to anything and only serve to cheapen the Universe.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

I am very disappointed by the lack of pipe weed smoking in the movies. Not even 1% of the actual amount of pipe weed references made it into the movie from the book. :colbert:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Smoke pipe weed every day.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I am very disappointed by the lack of pipe weed smoking in the movies. Not even 1% of the actual amount of pipe weed references made it into the movie from the book. :colbert:

yeah p much bogus

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

I never got the obsession with LOTR EU, the story itself is good and interesting. Why would you ruin it with massive amounts of pointless retarded details and stories that have no relation to anything and only serve to cheapen the Universe.

it's the exact opposite, lord of the rings is kind of clunky as a narrative but tolkien's whole reason for doing it was he wanted to create an alternative mythology for britain

there's a reason tolkien is considered the template for all SFF sperging thenceforth

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the valar are p. much gods / archangels, i'm not sure being in two places at once is completely off the table

when elrond talks about the "oldest and fatherless" or whatever he's not sure that tom bombadil is the exact same being, only that they might be related somehow. it could be a case sort of like gandalf's -- he's both an immortal maiar spirit, who the elves know of from before he was gandalf, but he got special permission to be incarnated as a living being who can age and die in order to help men and the other mortal races.

God you are loving amazing. I'm buying into the Aule theory, gently caress.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's the exact opposite, lord of the rings is kind of clunky as a narrative but tolkien's whole reason for doing it was he wanted to create an alternative mythology for britain

there's a reason tolkien is considered the template for all SFF sperging thenceforth

yeah he's basically the father of all popular 20th century conceptions of elves, dwarves, etc

before that it was like an elf could be tiny, or look like a dwarf

poo poo was all over the place, Tolks standardized it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Theories_about_Tom_Bombadil

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Santheb posted:

God you are loving amazing. I'm buying into the Aule theory, gently caress.

this is where i saw it presented, covers everything i've said and then some

http://www.cas.unt.edu/~hargrove/bombadil.html

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah p much bogus

I'm smoking some pipe weed right now...:350:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I understand his contribution to the modern fantasy genre, but so much of his extra fluff stuff is so dumb and poorly written than it's hard for me to take it seriously. I mean yeah the original books are not masterpieces of writing but at least the story is overall pretty self contained and good.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah he's basically the father of all popular 20th century conceptions of elves, dwarves, etc

before that it was like an elf could be tiny, or look like a dwarf

poo poo was all over the place, Tolks standardized it

But...Shakespeare...

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

je suis tom bombadil

Made me lol at work

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
who are the blue wizards and what happened to them?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

In The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien, Tolkien describes Goldberry as the seasonal changes in nature, and Tom Bombadil as the nature spirit of the English countryside.[3]

Tolkien based his mythic personages on Eurasian myth and cosmology. The Great Goddess who is mother of all things was, before Time existed, the element of water, undifferentiated. Time begins when her first offspring is born, and, according to Tom Bombadil, he is the Eldest, the firstborn. The River is the local manifestation of the primal Great Goddess, and Goldberry is her daughter, the spirit of all local waters existing in Time, alive and embodied.

Both Tom and Goldberry are primal spirits of nature, he of the land and its produce and she of the water.[4] In early Eurasian myth, the element of water is feminine and the land or earth is masculine; therefore, Goldberry represents the female principle of life while Tom represents the male.[5] Together as husband and wife they are the totality of primal Nature, endlessly proceeding in an eternal circle from season to season forever.

the dumb simple answer is:

tom/goldberry don't fit neatly into tolkien's pantheon, and are most likely just Nature personified, which puts them outside the foibles of petty beings (no matter what happens, the world keeps going), and explains why Tom would claim to witness the first raindrop and the first acorn and blah blah blah

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Matoi Ryuko posted:

But...Shakespeare...

nah, that guy never went into the level of detail JRR T-Dog did

Gary Gygax p much created D&D straight outta Tolkein

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

who are the blue wizards and what happened to them?

other maia, opium-smoking in the far east

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The nerds in rivendell said that if the world goes to poo poo bombadills little country would be the last to fall but if you gave him the ring he wouldnt want it and isnt going to leave his forest anyway.

E: lit yeah my big bro could take care of it for us they are big and have a car but theyre playing xbox

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

quote:

In fact, in terms of the moral traits that most fascinated Tolkien both as an author and as a scholar, Tom Bombadil is Tolkien's moral ideal.

also this, but you don't have to be a genius or find a myth-niche for Bombadil to figure this out, it's pretty on the nose

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

nomadologique posted:

the dumb simple answer is:

tom/goldberry don't fit neatly into tolkien's pantheon, and are most likely just Nature personified, which puts them outside the foibles of petty beings (no matter what happens, the world keeps going), and explains why Tom would claim to witness the first raindrop and the first acorn and blah blah blah

that quote you have say they are brother and sister but also married

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
when you rearrange the letters in Tom Bombadil you get... BOBA FETT

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tom bombadill is what happens when you put frosty the snowmans hat on a ganja plant

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Omally posted:

when you rearrange the letters in Tom Bombadil you get... BOBA FETT

No.

Stop tricking us.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

katlington posted:

Tom bombadill is what happens when you put frosty the snowmans hat on a ganja plant

lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

sauron would be unable to do anything to tom bombadil or goldberry, and he wouldn't try

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

nah, that guy never went into the level of detail JRR T-Dog did

Gary Gygax p much created D&D straight outta Tolkein

A Midsummer Night's Dream was filled with fanciful crap and elves and snoots and whatever.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

jackyl posted:

that quote you have say they are brother and sister but also married

welcome to mythology

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

katlington posted:

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

spooky girlfriend posted:

No dad, fucks hot bitches, doesn't give a gently caress in general, busts out rhymes, ignores politics even when the outcome will affect him - are you saying gangsta culture can be traced back to Tom Bombadil?

It's been said that Tom Bombadil continues to release songs long after his untimely death.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Matoi Ryuko posted:

A Midsummer Night's Dream was filled with fanciful crap and elves and snoots and whatever.

yeah but it wasn't a highly defined, detailed universe with specific traits and poo poo

comparing Shakespeare to Tolkein is like comparing a book of poetry to an encyclopedia

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Has anyone done a stoner version of the LOTR, with like a lot of pot smoking? Maybe the Ring is like the buffest nug.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah but it wasn't a highly defined, detailed universe with specific traits and poo poo

comparing Shakespeare to Tolkein is like comparing a book of poetry to an encyclopedia

Yeah, Shakespeare was a poet, and Tolkien was an autist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:evilbuddy:

• Locked thread