Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just wondering, some libertarian person at work told me it's a good site for "macro-level" stock picking tips.

It just seems to be a bunch of chicken scratch graphs saying the economy will collapse a few months down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
hers my outlook on the stocks, some will do bad, some will do good

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

No. They cater to the "the sky is falling" tinfoil hat anti-gubmint folks exclusively, pretty much.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Buy low, sell high. That's my motto.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

drowningidiot posted:

woah good idea where did you come up wit hthat

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
if you had bought gold, and sold stock, two years ago with the expectation that gold was going to keep rising and the stock price would collapse

then :lol:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i predict you should kiss my butt

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pookum posted:

hers my outlook on the stocks, some will do bad, some will do good

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

if you had bought gold, and sold stock, two years ago with the expectation that gold was going to keep rising and the stock price would collapse

then :lol:

Gold has inherent value, while a share is just a piece of paper.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

etalian posted:

Gold has inherent value, while a share is just a piece of paper.

Nothing has inherent value you loving idiot. What would a muskrat pay you for your gold? It wouldn't give a poo poo about it. The value is all about what bullshit human beings want to put on it. A mango has more inherent value than gold.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

In the apocalyptic future when the statist sytem comes crashing down and people are, like, eating each other and poo poo, my pile of shiny heavy stuff is gonna be worth so much

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lots of fund managers and gubmint types apparently do pay attention to what ZH has to say and they have some good commentary some of the time, but other times it's just these two bit freeper types hawking their two bit blogs and newsletters. The comment sections are also regularly gold, it's where I got the first name for this account (ObamaCaresHugSquad). still makes me lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
goldbugs gotta bug

quote:

Since gold hit a peak in 2011, it has lost about 33 percent of its value in real terms. Zero Hedge kept touting gold all the way down. For example, in November 2011, Zero Hedge ran an article saying that gold could be “on its way to infinity.” In March 2012, Zero Hedge urged its readers to “stay long gold.” An October 2012 article made the same recommendation. As the price fell, Zero Hedge assured us that the collapse was only in “paper” gold, not the physical commodity. Needless to say, if you took Zero Hedge’s advice at any of these points, you would have lost a lot of money.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-07-16/gold-dreamers-face-harsh-reality

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Nothing has inherent value you loving idiot. What would a muskrat pay you for your gold? It wouldn't give a poo poo about it. The value is all about what bullshit human beings want to put on it. A mango has more inherent value than gold.

Would you be more excited if you found a treasure chest filled with paper money or gold coins?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

etalian posted:

Would you be more excited if you found a treasure chest filled with paper money or gold coins?

Are they those chocolate ones

Shut up I'm not fat, you're fat

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

drowningidiot posted:

my motto: distribute across different mutual funds to hedge against risk over a lifetime.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
the poster(s) on ZeroHedge still think calling themselves Tyler Durden in the year of our lord 2015 is subversive. does that answer your question?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

my motto: distribute across different mutual funds to hedge against risk over a lifetime.

buy and hold with good asset diversification is basically the only good strategy since stock picking always tends to end in tears over a long period of time.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
if you are an american with stocks, instead of rubles or bitcoins, you probably have been doing fine for the past 5 years

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

buy and hold with good asset diversification is basically the only good strategy since stock picking always tends to end in tears over a long period of time.
yup. and i'm lazy.

http://assetbuilder.com/lazy_portfolios/

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

etalian posted:

Paper money. I can take paper money to a bank. I'm not really sure about the legal implications of finding loving dubloons.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

David Copperfield posted:

if you are an american with stocks, instead of rubles or bitcoins, you probably have been doing fine for the past 5 years

the bitcoin bubble burst too this year, with the price going from 960:1 to 330:1.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
hey look it's the whole reason I mentioned it http://qz.com/312598/bitcoin-is-the-worst-investment-of-2014/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oil is down to almost $40 a barrel.

Wasn't it almost $100 higher?

Won't it go way up again?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

it'll go back up eventually. if you buy now, you might lose money in the short term, but long term?

like 10 years from now. just put a little money in and forget about it.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

i used to read zero hedge a few years ago until the rightwing poo poo got to be too much for me, and they did occasionally have some nice articles about how hilariously rigged the stock market is

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Waltzing Along posted:

:siren: prices change over time :siren:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I only read seeking alpha and only for the goldbuggery

and also for the anonymous gay sex

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Paper money. I can take paper money to a bank. I'm not really sure about the legal implications of finding loving dubloons.

Basically the government would consider it to be ordinary income.

So if you found 5 million in gold coins you would taxed at the max federal rate, in addition to the state income tax.

Another reason why gold is bad investment, is it gets the special collectibles 28% rate if you sell it.

So it never gets the long term capital gain tax reduction like boring stocks.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Buy drunk, sell high.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i have a cousin who thinks classic cars are a really good investment.

that's after spending thousands of dollars fixing them up, maintenance and storage. so when the math breaks down, he's either broken even or lost money on all of them.

i have a feeling he just likes fixing up classic cars, which is cool, but has to come up with a way to rationalize his expensive hobby.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

etalian posted:

Basically the government would consider it to be ordinary income.

So if you found 5 million in gold coins you would taxed at the max federal rate, in addition to the state income tax.

Another reason why gold is bad investment, is it gets the special collectibles 28% rate if you sell it.

So it never gets the long term capital gain tax reduction like boring stocks.

So if I would find 45 pounds of gold, I would actually lose money. Because of the taxes, and it's not like finding cash where you pay taxes and then have the left over cash, but rather I pay taxes and then have 45 pounds of gold that I don't have a way of getting rid of without giving some other cocksucker a cut of the profit.

Pound for pound hundred dollar bills are worth more too, so I'd rather have 45 pounds of hundos any day of the week.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Money is easier to hide from uncle sam than gold.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

SirDan3k posted:

Buy drunk, sell high.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Omi-Polari posted:

i have a cousin who thinks classic cars are a really good investment.

that's after spending thousands of dollars fixing them up, maintenance and storage. so when the math breaks down, he's either broken even or lost money on all of them.

i have a feeling he just likes fixing up classic cars, which is cool, but has to come up with a way to rationalize his expensive hobby.

you're probably right. classic cars appreciate like art, i.e. more incomprehensible than every other investment on earth

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
hmm looks like my basement stock of van camps pork and beans is going to be worth a fortune when society as we know collapses / im rich!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pookum posted:

hmm looks like my basement stock of van camps pork and beans is going to be worth a fortune when society as we know collapses / im rich!!!

so you are investing in methane futures?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

etalian posted:

so you are investing in methane futures?

Futures? Gonna run Bartertown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
embargo!

• Locked thread