Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Tried out Shield Hero. It's kind of embarrassing to read with its constant "grrrrr I'm the only good person and nothing goes well for me gently caress everything", but the chapters are just the right length and I do enjoy how Naofumi has become a surrogate dad.

I am not looking forward to when this inevitably becomes a harem romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

yeah, dad, sure.

Surprisingly, he actually kept maintaining paternal distance for all 200+ of the current translated chapters, barring that one time he was explicitly hosed in the head. Go go being so bitter and crazed you can't conceive of normal relationships. There's apparently like 360 chapters though, and the story's really clearly telegraphing that he'll probably stay behind with the Totally-An-Adult-I-Swear tanuki girl as a new mayor or something.

Anyway once the whole revenge fantasy thing finished up, the plot quite literally ground to a halt so Naofumi could start a village. It was silly, led to a huge character bloat and more harem cliches, and yet was still kind of endearing. I guess I just really like the concept of a really grumpy guy helping raise a bunch of kids.

Having a MC who is so utterly repulsed by the idea of kids falling in love with him is great too, which is why I'm disappointed it's probably going to actually end in a romance.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Emalde posted:

As a huge nerd I'm actually super on board for this giant wave of MMO-based stories and find almost all of them rather fun to read for a while. Thanks for making this thread!

This is pretty much me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Flipped through the first volume of Only Sense. Don't know what's the point of the gender bender, but hey it's a story about MMORPGs that is actually about players having fun playing the game. Neat.

EDIT: It's hilariously unrealistic though. Buffing/debuffing is useless? Riiiiight. :rolleyes:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 18, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh yay, volume 4 of Only Sense was released. I started reading after Krytyk finished translating volume 3, does anyone know how long he/she usually takes?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Translation of Only Sense's fourth volume has started, if you didn't already know.

For some reason I think it's absolutely hilarious Yun just played out the classic "mysterious hooded figure accidentally gets hood blown off and is revealed to be a girl" scene, but as the girl. In fact he's actually pretty much become the popular idol character MMO stories love to have as a love interest.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The_Guy posted:

I now spend my spare time reading terrible literature through the filter of rough translation. Feels like it should be shameful.

:(:hf::(

Also Only Sense's volume 4 translation is done. It was, as always, pretty fun.

I still find it hard to believe that nobody else has picked up buffing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That doesn't sound right, especially considering the epilogue has already been translated and features exactly none of that.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kal-L posted:

Whatever. I bought the ticket, so I'll try to enjoy the ride. I just hope this doesn't turn into a rape train :gonk:

It never gets that bad, but the whole slavery thing in Shield Hero is just the awkward elephant in the room that is never really addressed. It starts off reasonable enough (shield dude has trust issues), but it literally never goes anywhere, you just have to accept that he enslaves his entire party because uhhhh stat gains.

The point you're in is basically when Shield Hero was at its fullest "grrrr revenge" fantasy, so if you make it through that (and the ensuing wrapup) it gets a little more light hearted. All-in-all the whole thing is just kind of half-baked though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I dunno, Only Sense has basically no major plot beyond "a bunch of people are playing a game" and I like it well enough. Though that might be because every other LN with this concept inevitably ditches the game part and makes everything deathly serious.

Incidentally, volume 5 of Only Sense has been mostly translated at this point.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Goddammit ADTRW. Why don't you focus those deviant thoughts into something more productive, like producing the next generation.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The cross section of translators who are good at japanese and english is depressingly small.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not sure why you'd even read LNs if you're not going to just enjoy the first few stretches of (hopefully) enjoyable content, then bail when the author shows he has no idea when to end the thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That honestly makes it sound worse.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

Well that's unfortunate, you would think there would be some sort of merit just considering the sheer volume of stuff that had to be translated. Oh well.

75% of the time, "really long" just means "the author didn't know when to stop".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

OSO amazed me when the inevitable tournament was just a chapter. The benefits to having the MC just be someone in the audience!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It took a while, but translation of volume 6 of Only Sense has begun. :toot:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Man, Only Sense Online is such a chill read. No drama or forced development between characters, just people playing a cool game.

I laughed so hard when Yun only got through what is probably a fairly easy event miniboss by spamming the ever loving poo poo out of consumables.

Then I remembered how many potions I bled through as a Warrior back in ye olde Maplestory and stopped. :smith:

I do like how hard they're committing to Yun's build being pretty poo poo for actual combat, though. It makes me interested in seeing how it all somehow comes together into some kind of top tier setup. And even when it does, Yun literally only got as far as he has through the goodwill of other people so it doesn't feel like it'll be some crazy oversight by the game designers.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 25, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Desuwa posted:

An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku: I didn't stick with this one but it wasn't bad.

It gets kind of awkward because it segues into a more serious plot, and none of the characters feel particularly developed enough for me to care.

Destruction Flag Otome is the best of the lot because it ends before it wears out its welcome too much. A lot of the characters get reduced to moving scenery in the final arc though, which was lame. Also I choose to believe Mary won.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The translation of volume 6 of OSO is done.

I actually really liked how the battle turned around not because Taku (who could literally be the MC of another novel) is some god mode poopsocker but just because he's an effective leader. The two phases of the fight contrasted really well.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

My father-in-law is Lu Bu's summary posted:

Cosplayer Liu Mang accidentally cross through time and arrived at the Eastern Han Dynasty wearing Aries Gold Cloth.
He arrived on top of the walls of Xiapi right when it was about to fall to Cao Cao.

Hahaha what?

I gotta read this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That's great news, I'm really looking forward to this one since it looks like the focus is on Taku.

EDIT: One of the things I really like about OSO is how much it emphasizes that the big flashy VR MMO is a game. I can totally believe somebody would rather spend their time hiking through the virtual scenery than trying to get stronger.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 26, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm glad you mentioned Hero Union BBS because I'm reading it now and it's the most fun I've had with the concept of summoned heroes since... I wanna say ever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I never knew how much "write what you know" could backfire until I got into light novels.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I was reading that one "cosplayer in a Gold Cloth gets sent back to ancient China" story, quirked my brow when the MC decides to establish his credentials by murdering one of his own soldiers, and just left when his first reaction to getting bailed out of certain death by his presumed future love interest was to get aroused and leer like a creep.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Chapter 5 of OSO 7 is finally out.

Katanas are basically kitchen knives.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Chapter 6 of OSO is up already.

In which Yun continues to prove that archery is the shittiest and that you get better results with god drat kitchen knives.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess Krytyk felt bad about how long it took to get chapter 5 up, because the epilogue and afterword of Volume 6 of OSO are already done. Mostly just a hook for the next volume. I was kind of surprised that Yun forgot to give Sei the ring he made for her though.

Also I have basically been diving through LNs in between studying for finals and found out that Evil God Average's translation is done. I remember thinking it strayed a little too far from its initial premise at the beginning of the second half, but it turns out it goes right back to that afterwards. It's good and knew when to stop, so I would recommend it!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's both sad and hilarious to me that Only Sense's claim to fame is that it's a story about people living in a game that isn't overdramatic or filled with creepy excesses.

You'd think that wouldn't be hard!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

darkgray posted:

Don't miss out on Kenkyo, btw.

Reiterating this. It's adorable.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The OSO manga is kinda lackluster.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Krytykal has finished translating the Silver Muse volume of OSO.

I feel like Silver Muse is supposed to have a lot more gamer terminology in it, so the translation is a little flavorless, but it's still pretty fun.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh sweet, chapter titles are up for OSO volume 8. Translation should start soon!

I hear that by the end of volume 8 the LN will have caught up with the web novel, though. I hope it doesn't have to stop. :(

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The translation of OSO volume 8 has begun. In the series' usual no-bullshit pacing, the prologue covers the entirety of the dungeon the last volume left on as a cliffhanger. :v:

Yun gets invited to a party because none of the chefs in Eight Million Gods are any good at catering. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

For some reason relaxed stories fit my pace more than heavy duty grinding/action fests, so I've been diving through all sorts of sillier LN/WNs lately.

Like Hell I'm Gonna Get Captured is theoretically the story of a dude dying, being reborn as a girl, and then deciding to become that literally perfect school idol you see in dating sims everywhere, but it's really about a bunch of cooking and amusing high school life. The gender bender aspect barely comes up beyond little character quirks, and the one time it really does it's handled pretty well IMO.

Chapters seem to come out once a month, but Arc 1 is a decent read in and of itself.

If you're aren't reading I Will Live with Humility and Dependability as My Motto, you're missing out. It's pretty much maximum chill and makes for a very comfortable read. The MC is reborn as the haughty love rival of a popular TV drama, decides to change her fate, blah blah blah the setting is pretty boilerplate stuff. The real charm comes from just following the MC's silly life around. It doesn't look like it's ever going to have a particularly strong romantic aspect to it either, so it's got that over works with a similar premise.

It got fully retranslated a while back, so even if you've already read it before you might want to give it a second shot. It got a big spurt of updates last Christmas too, so it's finally hit the middle school section.

Like 75% of my posts in this thread are about Only Sense Online for a reason, it's like the only story with a VR MMO setting that I know of that doesn't make things overly serious. It has a huge emphasis on the crafting process, but it doesn't slack on combat either. There's a decent spread of characters who are all developed enough they could conceivably be the star of their own series; hell, in the case of Miyu, that actually happened. It has a gender bender aspect as well, but that has basically just become a running gag to make everyone think that the MC and his best friend are dating. Really, I think it's just there so the series can get around the classic LN problem of "we need to put girls on the cover to attract buyers, but the MC is male so he is thus never on the cover".

Supposedly once volume 8 is finished translating, the LN will be caught up with the WN. Who knows what will go on from there.

The Vampire Princess Dreams a Rose Coloured Dream was something I picked up expecting to be pretty trashy, but it turned out to be pretty fun. It is yet another gender bender, but like the other two I mentioned this barely comes up. Actually, it comes up even less in this story to the point I wonder why they even did it. Is it just how male writers get around writing for the opposite sex? Anyway guy dies in real life, wakes up as his MMO character in the future of the MMO world's setting, and then discovers that his obsessive Gotta Catch Em All attitude with regards to monster taming has turned him into basically the de facto leader of a nation of monsters. Who take his (well, her) awakening as a sign to begin conquering the world. Cue an amusing story of a bunch of level 99+ monsters dropping into a world of like, level 25-30 characters at most. It dips into more serious stuff every now and then, but it's mostly buffered by just how overwhelmingly overpowered the MC's faction is.

This one also seems to translate about a chapter a month.

Finally, Evil God Average is just really good. I don't even need to tell you to read it, because you probably already have.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Captain_duck posted:

That vampire princess one sounds exactly like Overlord. How is it compared to that?

I haven't read Overlord, but from what I hear it involves more actual Overlording. And is less grim, I guess?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh and I don't know how it works in Overlord, but one of the things I like about Vampire Princess is that the MC actually does seem to remember the majority, if not all of the monsters she caught. Like one of the first interludes has her looking over the Seven Beasts of Calamity and being surprised her starter (?) monsters weren't in the lineup.

It's pretty cute.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh sweet, the translation of the Evil God Average sidestories is finally finishing.

quote:

Of course, you could say that for the merchants and inn owners in the vicinity of the temple, this crowd was a group of suckers.
And so, the Holy Anri Thearchy whose main industry was tourism, continued to grow at an abnormal speed.

:v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You have to realize this genre is primarily aimed at teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I went and checked up on Reincarnated as a Slime to see if it got any better, and no, it really didn't. Just totally lost focus.

• Locked thread