Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Overlord is interesting so far, I am about done with the first volume. It seems like it could be a really solid swords and sorcery empire builder novel, if the author can stop himself from being pulled into the harem comedy he is halfheartedly setting up.

The intro before the game became a world, is very solid. If you swapped things around so your thought it was reality at first and then the twist was that it was a game all along you would have a solid twilight zone episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

organism posted:

To be honest, sometimes I don't want to read about a character's struggle or journey or growth. Sometimes I just want to read about some over-powered, wish-fulfillment, masturbatory, living god walking around and curb-stomping everyone who gets in his path while having all the hot chicks being slavishly devoted to him. Arifureta gives me this one chapter a week dose of power-fantasy garbage and I giggle like a retarded kid whenever I read it. It's the literary equivalent of maxing out your stats in an RPG, throwing on end-game armor and running around the beginner areas one-shotting everything just to see how high you can pile the corpses. It's dumb fun.

Man-o-man does TFR have a story for you.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3385144

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Gearhead posted:

I've generally been unhappy with a lot of the choices the animation team made over the course of both the first and second seasons. Several small touches here and there that not all things were right in the world after the fact got left out and some things were simply paved over.

Though I wonder if the author will never go anywhere with the reveal that Kirito's neural chemistry is sufficiently jacked up that his sleep patterns do not trigger the Amusphere's logoff sequence, allowing him to actually sleep in simulation.

The author drops a lot of hints that Kirito is one seriously messed up individual, but then invalidates them or just ignores them for the rest of the books.

Like at the end of the fairy dance arc, when Kirito gets the admin code and wins the fight. In the novel that chapter didn't read like Kayaba had become the ghost in the machine, and was helping out, but that Kirito had gone nuts and Kayaba the serial killer was now his inner monologue. Then like a chapter or two later nope Kayaba is the net god and your parting gift is a free SDK.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Overlord Volume 3 Chapter 4: in which the Lich King of Nazarick recalls with great embarrassment his youthly fascination with Neo-Nazis.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

it was also real loving boring

like couldn't sit through one episode dull

I thought this as well, but then some goons where going on about it being the best show in some unrelated thread. So I powered through the first 3 or 4 eps and it gets good, maybe that's to strong of a word, but I ended up enjoying watching it. If you stop trying to parse the whole world setting and just focus on the story presented it gets a lot less confusing.

They only thing about the larger world you really need to understand are.

Its not really 1588, just a reconstruction of 1588 by someone whose only knowledge of history is a Civ campaign they once played.

The Japanese get shinto magic(accomplished through the use of quantum computers and nano machines) because its their racial power.

All laws are seemingly open for debate, but if you fail to justify your case breaking/changing a law the world government has you killed(unless your a minor and then they only maybe kill you).

The whole cast is high schoolers because this is an anime minor's are a lot less likely to get killed for not following the historical role play script.

Everyone hates the Japanese because they got blamed for some mistake that nearly destroyed the world, back before the world started the whole historical role play thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

See, I have no real problem with the bizarre historical reenactment thing in theory. In a ridiculously advanced society, why not do any weird poo poo that comes to mind? However, the anime eventually revealed that while they were post-history, they were not post-scarcity. They had to worry about running out of food. So while a society dedicated to historical reenactment might work when functionally infinite resources are available, it is just plain stupid with limited resources.

There is no real thought put into the setting because it is just an excuse to cram in loads of standard anime girl archetypes from a bunch of genres in with vague japanese history references.

I read it more as they are mostly post-scarcity(energy is the only resource that matters), they are really really into the history reenactment up to and including letting people die form preventable causes because they are fairly sure the time period their currently in didn't know how to fix the problem, or was limited on a resource that would have saved the person.

Also as a larger universe note the post humans in the show are also really stupid. This whole crazy reenacted all of recorded history as best as we can thing is so that they can get back into space. A feat they clearly have the technology to accomplish, so one can only guess that they just forgot where space is.

• Locked thread