Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Since pretty much I was knee high to a grasshopper, I've been infatuated with performance cars. I've had a couple of SUVs and 4x4s and done a fair amount of off roading as well. So, it's not totally unknown territory for me.

Anyway, my kid (now 8) has really taken a liking to the great outdoors. We've been camping several times, loves to fish, loves canoeing, and is now wanting to go hunting with me. I figure anything to get him outside and away from playstations, ipads, and goddamned infernal Minecraft is a win win. My company car is a Fusion and the wife has a Santa Fe 2.0T sport. While it's been handy for crossing across a dirt road or a grass field, it's really not a vehicle you want to do any sort of outdoorsy stuff.

Plus the Santa Fe is a totally a chick car.

So I started looking for what I thought would be a great overall hunting, camping, boat pulling vehicle. Tossed out the ideas of an SUV. Don't really want to toss leaking coolers, fish guts, or a deer carcass in the back, so immediately went to a truck, specifically a four door truck. I am not a fan of full size trucks, as they're just so damned big (and I don't expect to need the towing capacity of a full size). So it fell to a Frontier or Tacoma. The Tacoma was about right in terms of size (even if a bit large) and towing power, but the dealer wouldn't budge on the price. I have had two XTerras and loved them both, putting more than a 100,000 relatively trouble free miles on both. I honestly really wanted the Frontier just because...well...big V6, solid frame, and I'm familiar with the core of the vehicle from 9 years of Xterra ownership.

So, after about 5 minutes of talking to the dealer and laying out a price I thought they would never go for, and much surprise DID, this came home with me last night:

The fact the sales manager was a fraternity brother from college helped, but I got it for an absolute steal. 2014 Frontier SV Crew Cab 4x4 with 5,395 miles. Not totally in love with the color, but for the price, I couldn't walk away from it since it ticked all my other buttons.

Short term plans:
1. More aggressive tires
2. Nerf bars for side
3. Real brush guard/winch for the front
4. Canoe rack system
5. Bed liner
6. Upgraded skid plates
7. Light bar for the roof

Longer term plans:
1. Slight lift
2. Supercharger (because, well, why not)
3. Give it to my kid when he starts driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
A friend of mine got basically this exact truck used for an insanely low price earlier this year. The woman who bought it new drove it home from the dealership, decided she didn't like it and drove it back to return it the next day.

He got it for like 12k with 75 miles on the odometer. A hell of a deal, until the clutch shat itself 1000 miles later and the dealership wouldn't warranty it. $2400 to get it back on the road.

A nice truck, though.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Aren't these getting a much-needed makeover soon?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I believe they are, but I haven't been keeping up with Nissans much. My heart wanted the crew cab 4x4 Colorado Z71 but my checking account says NO WAY JOSE. When I play with the options on Chevy's website, I am always in the 35-40K range which makes me run screaming the other way. Plus its a Chevy and I really don't like Chevys.

Except Corvettes and Z/28s. Those are cool.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bought a full set of skid plates from Shrockauto and a 2.5" suspension lift kit from Rough Country. Will be moving up to 33" tires within about 2-3 months :rock:

Speaking of tires, whats the goon opinion on off road tires? Our soil down here is quite sandy so not your normal Alabama red clay (though we do have that). I really like the look of the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2. Not wild about the price, but good shoes aren't cheap.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Tide posted:

Bought a full set of skid plates from Shrockauto and a 2.5" suspension lift kit from Rough Country. Will be moving up to 33" tires within about 2-3 months :rock:

Speaking of tires, whats the goon opinion on off road tires? Our soil down here is quite sandy so not your normal Alabama red clay (though we do have that). I really like the look of the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2. Not wild about the price, but good shoes aren't cheap.

You might look at Yokohama Geolandar M/T's and Maxxis Buckshot Mudders also. I've had good experiences with all three, and it's a tossup which will be cheapest in your size. Also, amazon+prime is your friend tire shopping these days.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I've always felt these trucks would look so much better with the ugly gigantic chrome front plastidipped black

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

I've always felt these trucks would look so much better with the ugly gigantic chrome front plastidipped black

Black would look too work truck. plastidipped bronze would look pretty dope though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've had mostly good results with a light application of taillight tint over chrome. Takes the obnoxious right out of it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I had never paid much attention to the chrome grill until it was brought up by you guys. Now I can't unsee it. Thanks, jackasses. I had no idea tail light tint was a thing.

May check into that just to tone it down some

Tide fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 25, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

in my experiences, the spray stuff is super hard to get even on chrome.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I just plastidiped mine yesterday to finish killing the chrome. It is really easy to do and if you don't mind the satin finish it looks pretty good and isn't permanent.

And good call on a smaller truck if you don't need to tow heavy. I went out in the desert to shoot before work this morning and had to take the crown Vic to get out there.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Chrome is being entirely sustained by baby boomers it must be stopped

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

I've had mostly good results with a light application of taillight tint over chrome. Takes the obnoxious right out of it.

What, like VHT Nightshade? Got a pic?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tide posted:

Check out the Cooper Discoverer S/T Max - I'm going to be getting a set for my Jeep soon. They're designed to be a halfway option between an All-Terrain and a Mud-Terrain. Apparently they're very quiet on road and work great off, especially if you're in sand and don't really need full-on bromuddderXXLs. I dunno what your tire size is, but 31" on 15s for my XJ are under $180/ea.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Stock tire size is 265/70-16. I'm currently looking for a spare set of pro 4x rims to mount some slightly bigger tires on, but that will come later.

One I get the lift installed, I'll have a better idea as to what size I end up with

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What, like VHT Nightshade? Got a pic?

The very same. It's got issues with adhesion, levelling and durability but I've still managed to get it to work pretty well. Though it's kind of redundant now that Duplicolor is making that 'Shadow' stuff specifically for the purpose of tinting chrome.
And no pictures unfortunately, I was playing around with the stuff before I even had a Facebook account let alone a smartphone. They're probably on an old hard drive somewhere but :effort:

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009

Holdbrooks posted:

I just plastidiped mine yesterday to finish killing the chrome. It is really easy to do and if you don't mind the satin finish it looks pretty good and isn't permanent.

And good call on a smaller truck if you don't need to tow heavy. I went out in the desert to shoot before work this morning and had to take the crown Vic to get out there.

Chrome would make that truck terribly gaudy, after all. :)

To the OP, did you test drive a Colorado for comparison? I'm curious on your thoughts. I will be making a similar decision here in the next few months and am weighing "new" vs "proven and cheap as hell." There aren't a lot of "real" world colorado reviews out yet.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
No, didn't drive the new Colorado. I don't even think the local dealers have any in stock. I kind of wanted to but the biggest problem I had with the Colorado was the option packages. I didn't want the WT version, which is about as barebones as you can get, and the LT version was 33K, which put it more than $10K over what I paid for my '14 Frontier. Plus my thought process was similar to yours - proven truck along with really positive experiences from my two previous XTerras.

The skid plates and lift package I've ordered was around $1000 shipped. I'm eyeing the Shrockworks front and rear bumpers, along with their rock sliders, but that's going to have to wait for a few months as that's going to be about 2400 bucks. Going to look for used in the meantime, but those are my target components.

I like the Colorado, I just don't like the $10-15K more than I like the Frontier. Give me $12,500 to put into the Frontier and I'd have just about the most off road / camping capable vehicle ever. That's a lot of dough I can put into my Frontier and make it 'mine'.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My brother has a current shape 2012 Colorado as a work truck, and unless they've made a bunch of changes for the US market version it I'd steer clear

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The 2015s have been redesigned but the apple doesn't usually fall far from the tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Hahaha nice try fitting it in the garage.

• Locked thread