Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Ninja Gaiden is a good game because it's designed to gently caress you over for taking your time.

ya if anyone missed this years speedrun thingy this was probably the highlight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaZPNynw7qY&t=180s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I can still go back and play the 2d genesis ones and have a blast. The newer ones have some comedy value but that's about it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I'm curious as to why as a self proclaimed 30 something you care so much about the relative merits of sonic the hedgehog vs super mario, both 20 year old console games for children. I'm not having a go at you, everyone needs a hobby, and I have fond memories of them both, but I wonder if your adult mind might be better served by engaging in something else. Chess perhaps, or maybe learning a foreign language, Spanish is supposed to be on of the easier ones.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

that game is pretty bad but the fact that a videogame about edgy black sonic shooting people with handguns actually exists will never stop being the most hilarious thing about sega to me

in fairness, this principle has been tried before successfully in videogames. commander keen is basically mario with a gun, for instance.

commander keen 2 is a good drat game, hth

blondcockerel
Feb 28, 2014

Motto posted:

that game is pretty bad but the fact that a videogame about edgy black sonic shooting people with handguns actually exists will never stop being the most hilarious thing about sega to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPWrHPNekvE

drat, Sega, I didn't know you were run by 2edgy4me middleschoolers.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Whole Internet posted:

in fairness, this principle has been tried before successfully in videogames. commander keen is basically mario with a gun, for instance.

commander keen 2 is a good drat game, hth

yeah, but there are degrees of that, there's a difference between

and

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got a genesis back in like 94 and my first game was Shinobi 3. No regrets.

Genesis had the better cutesy fag game and it was called Ristar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBgAEfzZdM

In fact Ristar ruled and was very good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ramsus posted:

I got a genesis back in like 94 and my first game was Shinobi 3. No regrets.

Genesis had the better cutesy fag game and it was called Ristar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBgAEfzZdM

In fact Ristar ruled and was very good.

yeah ristar's cool

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Motto posted:

yeah, but there are degrees of that, there's a difference between

and

yeah but remember what game ID made after Commander Keen? Duke Nukem

on the "trying to be badass but instead looking really gay" scale, that's right up there with shadow the hedgehog, but duke 1 and duke 3D are pretty well respected...because they're good games anyway

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'm curious as to why as a self proclaimed 30 something you care so much about the relative merits of sonic the hedgehog vs super mario, both 20 year old console games for children. I'm not having a go at you, everyone needs a hobby, and I have fond memories of them both, but I wonder if your adult mind might be better served by engaging in something else. Chess perhaps, or maybe learning a foreign language, Spanish is supposed to be on of the easier ones.

thinking about something from your childhood for a few minutes is for retards. as an extremely sophisticated adult i instead spend my valuable time reading threads about sonic, starwars, and scrotum waxing on gbs. its real tough to find enough hours in the day to schedule it in between dog turd eating sessions, but i manage

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

on the "trying to be badass but instead looking really gay" scale, that's right up there with shadow the hedgehog, but duke 1 and duke 3D are pretty well respected...because they're good games anyway
Id went on to make Wolfenstein and then Doom, in the first one you have to kill Hitler, in Doom you have to kill Satan.

duke nukem 3d was really cool even though quake came out around the same time, but if it wernt for the explosions and titties and one liners its not that great, the interactivity in the levels was cool though and some of the level design was really good

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

numberoneposter posted:

in Doom you have to kill Satan.

Baphomet :colbert:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im going to hijack the gently caress out of this gay rear end sonic thread because Id is the loving best.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
Sonic fans must be really happy that My Little Pony fans have taken a lot of the heat off them.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Redneck Rampage let you ride motorcycles and swamp boats :colbert:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I Unironically get pumped as gently caress to this. Hell yeah, kid. *fist bump*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

catpowerd posted:

Sonic fans must be really happy that My Little Pony fans have taken a lot of the heat off them.

is that still a thing

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Best cover art ever, game was too hard for my stupid kid self though.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow

I like how Master System games all had that grid on the cover art.

rubbe
Jul 19, 2008
To me sonic is about speed and rhythm at last the first ones. The newer ones whit boosting sucks sonic adventure 2 did it right any thing else is garbage.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

catpowerd posted:

I like how Master System games all had that grid on the cover art.

That's because you are entering the VIRTUAL WORLD like in Kid Chameleon.

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

all old games are bad

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Echoing earlier sentiments S3&K is pretty good, Sonic CD is very good. The other games are generally pretty bad, but not without their ocasional moments. Also I have a lot of fun playing the first Sonic Adventure but a lot of that comes from the fact that pretty much nothing works right in that game, not that it's actually good

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Sonic CD at least had some of the best music.

Any big Sega fans know the name of a game that had like a knight, some chick, and white horse/ unicorn facing the other way on the cover? I thought it was shining force since it's like a tactical turn based RPG but I'm not sure. Played it a loooong time ago but I can't remember the name.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

All I can think of is

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

SilvergunSuperman posted:

All I can think of is

drat! Maybe? I was 3 or 4 years old so the memory may not be fully intact but if it's not that it's definitely that kind of game. It seems like those games have a lot of different cover styles and I think mine was the black style.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

gggiiimmmppp posted:

this is why i feel bad for sega kids

Streets of Rage.2.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Pesmerga posted:

Streets of Rage.2.

Shadowrun.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

duke 3d was made by 3d realms, id had nothing to do with it

also duke nukem forever is shadow the hedgehog levels of bad

PixieDreamGirl
Apr 29, 2014

2014; The year I whored myself out for title changes.

Yo, I don't care what y'all do,how y'all do or where y'all do it, just keep it gangsta and never pay for an av change, have someone else do it- Ya boy Pixie

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm a 30 something now, and although I really liked Sonic The Hedgehog games as a kid/teenager, they don't seem that great anymore. Actually they are pretty much poo poo. At least the old ones, but I've heard bad things about the new ones too.

I've come to realization when I decided to play some Sonic 2 on my Wii's virtual console. The graphics are really impressive, but the level design is terrible. Platforms are haphazardly thrown into random places, and often two or three paths lead to the same place, usually with no change in difficulty. The worlds are way too open ended for no reason. I don't think there's one puzzle in this entire game. There's nothing clever about it, and quite frankly, boring. It's a game where you're supposed to go fast, and they let you do that with almost no challenges to overcome. So you just run right until you get to an exit or a boss, which are the most interesting aspects of the game unfortunately.

After getting really mad at this game, I switched over to Super Mario World. God drat that game still owns. They didn't get all flashy with the graphics, and it doesn't matter. The gameplay is the focus of the game, and it really shows over and over again. You can't just run right and expect to win. You need to go in all different directions, but sometimes you're squeezed into a small area with enemies that are actually challenging to get by or defeat. There's puzzle elements and lots of secrets too.

I'd also like to take this time to admit that I have been a victim of the "Genesis does" brainwashing. I told all my friends that Genesis was superior, and that it could do blast processing and SNES doesn't. I'm really ashamed by this, and I wish that I could go back in time to ask for a SuperNES instead of a Genesis and live my whole life again.

I feel the same way about kingdom hearts.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I played a lot of Seawolf as a kid, not much Sonic.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Motto posted:

yoshi's island is another game people are saying was always bad now because some fat guy doesn't like it

whoa whoa whoa what does this mean?

did some sperg do a stupid youtube review on it and everybody jumped on his opinion?

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Sonic adventure is the worst game ever made

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fonzarelli posted:

whoa whoa whoa what does this mean?

did some sperg do a stupid youtube review on it and everybody jumped on his opinion?

giant bomb personality "jeff gerstmann" who is actually better than a youtube sperg but is desperately wrong about the negative value of yoshis island

sonic the hedgehog has always loving sucked tho and that guy who said snes > sega was right

mario > sonic
final fantasy > phantasy star
zelda > beyond oasis?
super metroid > uh "bob" aka "bucket of bolts"??? does gunstar heroes count? i don't know, there are no games as good as super metroid on the sega genesis
superior controller means superior versions of all fighting games, superior version of aladdin due to better color and the lack of swordfighting based gameplay (aladdin doesn't kill people he's a good guy), etc etc etc

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like the saturn is good but too little, too late, for gaming's failingest rear end company of all time... sega.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the superiority of the snes over the genesis is self-evident by the fact that basically every genesis property failed to have any staying power, including sonic

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zombies' Downfall posted:

like the saturn is good but too little, too late, for gaming's failingest rear end company of all time... sega.

What do you mean they went on to make the Dreamcast. Not that it didn't fail, you're right about that but it did own.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zombies' Downfall posted:

giant bomb personality "jeff gerstmann" who is actually better than a youtube sperg but is desperately wrong about the negative value of yoshis island

sonic the hedgehog has always loving sucked tho and that guy who said snes > sega was right

mario > sonic
final fantasy > phantasy star
zelda > beyond oasis?
super metroid > uh "bob" aka "bucket of bolts"??? does gunstar heroes count? i don't know, there are no games as good as super metroid on the sega genesis
superior controller means superior versions of all fighting games, superior version of aladdin due to better color and the lack of swordfighting based gameplay (aladdin doesn't kill people he's a good guy), etc etc etc

Streets of Rage 2 > [insert SNES beat em up here]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sonic 3 was good because it had some neat power ups and poo poo. Running fast wasn't really the point iirc. It was basically a mario game.

And music by Michael Jackson!

• Locked thread