Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy posted:

Can someone explain to me why they're always mentioning 'ratepayers' and how 'ratepayers will foot the bill' or whatever. Isn't that what rates are actually for? Like, if you pay rates (and other taxes), that's money leaving your pocket regardless of how it's used. You don't lose anything if the revenue is spent on things that aren't somehow directly economically beneficial.
The intended implication is that if ratepayers weren't paying for those things then rates would be lower.

I mean, yeah, you'd still be paying for roads regardless, but your taxes shouldn't be going towards poo poo like building infrastructure and funding development for private companies that don't intend to pay that money back with interest or in dividends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I think I've found the New Zealand version of those sovereign citizen guys, wanna see the full transcript of this so bad.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/65066168/man-with-no-name-causes-drama-in-court

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
A police officer who put stones, dirt and sticks in the engine oil of a couple's Toyota Land Cruiser has admitted a charge of intentional damage.

Constable Darrin O'Donnell was one of a group of police officers that searched the home of Tania Kahaki and Jon Lamb at Marotiri, 40km north of Taupo, while the couple were at work last August.

Police also tipped moisturising cream and hair gel through the couple's clothing and tipped paint over power tools.

Lamb added: "They did not need to do all that. I think they came to look for particular items and we had nothing to do with it and when they couldn't find what they wanted they got p...ed off and started damaging our gear."

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010
The most surprising aspect of that is the admission of guilt.
The rest of it seems pretty standard, I've seen the aftermath of a couple of police searches at some friends places, and it's pretty much like the movies, all your stuff gets dumped in a huge pile in the middle of the room. If it gets damaged/wrecked/goes missing, then gently caress you, we'll arrest you if you have a problem with it.
Burglars are cleaner and tidier.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

thepaladin4488 posted:

Burglars are cleaner and tidier.

Nope.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nice new OP. My favorite parts are the picture of Key with a cat and that one with the brown bum.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

swampland posted:

I think I've found the New Zealand version of those sovereign citizen guys, wanna see the full transcript of this so bad.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/65066168/man-with-no-name-causes-drama-in-court

Yep. A friend of mine had to serve this guy's parents regarding some sort of unpaid debt a few weeks ago. But this joker was the only person home. The exchange was as hilarious as would be expected.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Regarding the "ratepayers will foot the bill for this" kind of rhetoric, it's almost a kind of dog whistle strategy for that vocal minority of middle-aged, middle class white ppl (particularly aucklanders) who get out each year to protest rates rises. I have a couple on my facebook, any time there's news of a local body spending initiative they get all up in arms about how they don't want their rates going to fund it and that this is ridiculous, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Auckland housing 9th least affordable in the world.

Shut the gently caress up, Californians who whine about costs of living.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

This doesn't surprise me in the least. I have an enormous urge to shoot somebody now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just realised that while extending our urban sprawl from Henderson over the Waitakeres to fix our housing prices (it won't) is prima facie bad, it could also mean less farmland and therefore fewer farmers.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Of course English blames "too much regulation"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

While I agree there is some significant regulation that has shaped Auckland's housing market for the worse, National seems to not realise there's any beyond the "hey guys, maybe try not making GBS threads up the entire countryside with loving quarter acres?" local regs. LA is a loving awful city and we really shouldn't be seeking to emulate its sprawl and dependence on motorways.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

San Francisco and San Jose, CA are tied for the 4th least affordable cities.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at Nick Smith claiming Christchurch having the highest number of consents issued in the last 7 years as a win. Finally replacing a few of the thousands of earthquake hosed houses isn't really progress.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm wondering whether effectively splitting the housing portfolio into 3 is a way of trying to avoid accountability

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Do I gotta bitch about the job market and the neo-liberal inter-generation exploitation here too?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Stop bumping the old thread you backwards, thick headed philistines.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

San Francisco and San Jose, CA are tied for the 4th least affordable cities.

LA is cheaper though.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Choom gang

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

dusty posted:

Choom gang

You don't have to say it's illegal cultivation when the thing is illegal, cops.

Also, it shouldn't be illegal and you're wasting police resources on it, much like your bullshit zero tolerance on speeding poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Checking the dregs of the last thread reminded me that the financial/life plans of 90% of people I know in their mid 20's, including myself, is to build up enough financial and employment capital to move to Australia. It's pretty sad that it's the go-to default plan of people who have foolishly railroaded themselves into a career that will never result in decent money here.

My decision process went:

I am poor > need to raise wages or reduce cost of living. Reduce cost of living > need to move out of Auckland. Move out of Auckland > won't get a job that pays for poo poo.

>> Move to Australia, get paid nearly double what I do now.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Slavvy posted:

people who have foolishly railroaded themselves into a career that will never result in decent money here.

Which is to say *any* career.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah. My only mate my age who isn't destitute is in IT. 100k a year, has a house and no other debts. Pretty :suicide: stuff really.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Nah. My only mate my age who isn't destitute is in IT. 100k a year, has a house and no other debts. Pretty :suicide: stuff really.

Was nepotism involved?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

LA is cheaper though.

It is actually more surprising LA is so high on the list, it wasn't considered one of the most expensive US cities (compared to NYC, SF and later DC) for a while. For a long time LA was considered pretty cheap because it was so huge and had a ton of suburbs and considerable urban blight in its center, especially after the 1992 riots.

I guess the funny thing I heard Auckland is more or less the LA of New Zealand, concrete and subdivisions.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Fairly believable apparently I could get 2-3 times my current pay in Auckland or Wellington but then I would have to pay more than 2-3 times for a similar house and land as well as a much longer commute in actual traffic.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I guess the funny thing I heard Auckland is more or less the LA of New Zealand, concrete and subdivisions.

It certainly has the unnecessary sprawl

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Yeah, it seems my job is one of the few that is an exception to the rule, but that may be because I'm paid by the government.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

Do I gotta bitch about the job market and the neo-liberal inter-generation exploitation here too?

Makes me depressed in a bad way.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Of course English blames "too much regulation"

He was also complaining last year about Auckland City Council rules that specified a minimum of 40sqm for new apartments. So he only has the interests of the people at heart.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Makes me depressed in a bad way.

Oh. What, me or the general situation?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Was nepotism involved?

Not at all, he basically just changed jobs about ten times with a raise each time. At his current job his most recent project was managing the rehash of the skytower's fiber network (which apparently is a laughable trainwreck). He doesn't know anyone in telecommunications at all, just did all the right stuff at uni, was really lucky w.r.t. his bosses and choosing the right option when opportunities happened. He's also just a really friendly guy in general who can't say no to being invited to xyz function so people think he's really social et al.

I don't know if telecoms counts as IT but he sits in front of a desk and deals with internet related poo poo.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

US housing is really cheap. Just watch any diy show from the states - people can buy a 4 bedroom house just off sunset boulevard for $450k USD.

loving boomers, loving landlords, loving ratepayers' associations.

These are also the same selfish cunts who are going to demand bailouts in 20 years when Sth Dunedin, Kilbirnie and lower lying areas of Auckland are abandoned due to rising waters.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh. Good on him.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dusty posted:

US housing is really cheap. Just watch any diy show from the states - people can buy a 4 bedroom house just off sunset boulevard for $450k USD.

loving boomers, loving landlords, loving ratepayers' associations.

These are also the same selfish cunts who are going to demand bailouts in 20 years when Sth Dunedin, Kilbirnie and lower lying areas of Auckland are abandoned due to rising waters.

So how much if a 3 bedroom house in good shape in a decent neighborhood in Auckland?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh. What, me or the general situation?

Situation in general. You're an alright guy.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

About a million NZD (800k USD) for a nice 3 bedroom in a middle class suburb

Rotting shacks without electricity literally sell for $1.3million if they're in a desirable innercity suburb.

dusty fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 19, 2015

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dusty posted:

About a million NZD (800k USD) for a 3 bedroom in a middle class suburb

Yeah thats quite a bit more than LA (I would say 400-600k), what is a common wage for a service industry job in NZ? If anything that seems pretty comparable to DC/NYC/SF but Auckland is part of a considerably smaller metro area.

I know there was quite a bit talk among Americans about moving to NZ because it is "pretty and liberal" but seems like there is more going on then they think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Minimum wage is ~11USD/hr. Teachers and police earn a little more compared to the US.

Definitely better money in Australia - lower living costs, cheaper housing and much higher wages across the board.

• Locked thread