Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

msgd u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

this makes me so happy

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

d1 small keating investigates wazza

lol

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

sweetroy posted:

alright thats enough to start, i'll leave poo poo open for a few more hours and then send out roles and write poo poo up to start tomorrow

you missed bif in the op

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

np m8 i am here 4 u

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

sweetroy posted:

At the end of the day, the person with the most number of ##Votes will be dealt with in a pleasant and polite manner, possibly resulting in expulsion from the club.

How will this be dealt with if there's a tie?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

uh

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

sweetroy posted:

i'm sure i'll figure something out if/when we come to it. nobody will die or both will die.

but then people will be like "sweeroy didn't kill them, they must both be mafia" etc etc

also really early on its entirely possible there'll be much more than two-way ties. with 17 players you could totally get 3 or 4 people tied at 3 or 4 votes

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

With more people around, going back to a no-lynch D1 would sound good... except the way this game runs, there's going to be an automatic end-of-day lynch on whoever's got the most votes, right? Even if it wasn't enough for a hammer?

Maybe if nobody cast votes we could get away with a no-lynch, but that would make the day functionally useless for information anyway.

This is gonna be interesting.

Yeah it seems to me like literally any vote is going to result in a lynch.

Did someone joke vote yesterday? In the last game we worked out that those actually count

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

##vote Matthew Beet

Welp I guess "no D1 lynch" isn't happening. Probably for the best as it generates data, but we are more likely to hit a townie

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

Wait someone explain why 1 vote = lynch?

Remember when you posted

Asphyxious posted:

Just sit back and enjoy it you knobs

That was in response to the conversation about the new "whoever has the most votes gets lynched" rule.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

Yeah I was talking about the ties, I didn't realise he'd put in a weird mechanic. I stand by que sera sera for ties though.
it's the exact same mechanic - whoever has the most votes gets lynched

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Unvoting sound reasonable given our chances of hitting a scum are low and luck based at this stage. loving around with the new votefinder rules on day one will only benefit scum.

Anidav, don't edit your posts.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

I forget doesn't quoting votes count as votes?

Splode posted:

nope votefinder is smart enough to handle it, I believe

yeah that looks right. Fixy, you can check here: http://votefinder.org/game/auspol-9#votecount

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

i am always amazed at how quickly the slapfights start

like, i shouldn't be, but i always am.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

ok so re: Beet and Gough I have NFI what's going on there

Here's what I think is pretty relevant: The last game was run by Mills. There were two scum - Milky & me - and we got lynched on D1 and D2. This is from Mills' summing up post after the game finished:

Mills posted:

For the scum, there's only two things I would recommend doing different. The first is trying to avoid 'white noise' as it is the main scum tell that you all seem to be looking for now as a first port of call. Milky's stubborness and refusal to put down any real opinions got him lynched. The second is not tieing yourself too closely to the other scum if there is only two of you... unless you're prepared for 'all or nothing' consequences. I think they spent too much time backing each other up and it hurt TOML badly on D2.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

people yet to post on D1:

black_tangled
Harold Krell
Plotterboy

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

I know black_tangled IRL, she is Small Keating's partner

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Now keep in mind though guys, we do still have a lot of reason to not do a lynch at all today, now that things are cleared up. That is part of the reason Gough's reactions seemed suss to me when they continued long after the rules were clarified. It's not like a couple votes needed to be the end of the world when 9 are needed. Gough has gone to the top of my suss list, and happens to be higher than Gaspy. That is all.

In fact, now that we seem to have got some nice reactions here to look at and think about and some people have thrown down where they agree, I think it'd be a shame to let Gough hog ALL the attention.

##unvote

why are you suss on gaspy? Is it the high rate of posting?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Harold Krell posted:

Quite frankly, this just seems like a bunch of backtracking and qualifying in order to make themselves look less suspicious. You have GOT to make a better point the next time you post.

couldn't agree more.

I've been suss on Asphyxious for a while. he's posting a shitload and not much of it has been particularly valuable.

Bifauxnen is also suss on Asphyxious. so now's a good time to remind you all that Bif won the last game for town almost single-handedly through her scum-reading abilities. so I'd always listen to Bif. I mean I guess she could be scum but her posting currently is identical to her last game posting - no white noise, a few paragraphs per post, posting theories, putting her voting where he mouth is

(Bif is even more suss on Gough but I don't know wtf to make of the Gough/Beet slapfight, plus I am suss about how people have been piling onto Gough)

all that said I am still not sure it's the right move to lynch on day 1.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

this:

Bifauxnen posted:

Lynch or no lynch, either way there should be more talking.
and this:

Matthew Beet posted:

The scum will night kill someone they're not interacting with and they'll get a free kill and we will have nothing else to show for it.
are the exact reasons why i tried to draw out the silent parties into posting more. it hasn't really worked. there are also people who've made exactly 1 D1 post and then disappeared again, eg mithranderp and small keating

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Harold Krell posted:

What is your rationale behind this? I've never spoken to you before and you treat me like poo poo right off the bat?

##vote Bifauxnen

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

tithin posted:

They're stirring up trouble to view reactions.

The supposition being that in doing so they may root out nervous scum who may overreact.

This is of course, if you believe her to be town, otherwise, she's scum trying to stir up reactions and make other people think she's scum hunting.

Depends on how deep the particular rabbit hole you subscrube to goes.

uh, you can't subscribe to a rabbit hole

##vote tithin

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

massive slip up from scumlord tithin there imho

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

Lol jokes aside tits is pretty fence sitty this game.

Gaspy is white noise posting so not out of character... Still I opinions though but it is his first game ever.

Anidav is always suss.

Splode jumped on two votes quickly. Not that big a deal but worth mentioning.

TOML you are trying to hard to post without it being white noise, what tripped you up last game, it's kinda like you're trying too hard.

Bif is all over the shop but I can't fault her reasoning because it's kind of my approach atm.

Harold from neighbours is freaking out too hard about one vote. Maybe he saw bouncers ghost?

Muyb freaked out a bit too.

Umm a lot of people trying to fly under the radar as well. Post more!
so what you're saying, beet, is that you're suspicious of pretty much everyone who's posted except yourself

thatbastardken posted:

heads up im going to a mates birthday party tonight and he intends to make sure we get "white girl wasted" so I'm probably not going to be able to make an informed decision later in the evening.

on this theme, heads up, i am hosting my aunt & uncle tonight so beet will get his wish and my posting will quieten down in a bit

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

No toml I'm posting a list to

1) try and prompt others to talk about there opinions more and
2) who would be suss on themselves? Why would anyone type an opinion on themselves? A really dumb thing to say while not addressing what I said about you at all. Deflect much?

i was kidding you goose, you should know i'm all for posting lists.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

Good morning Beets! Okay so now I can address what you asked last night.

The difference between saying "investigate X should I die" and "I think X is suss" is one allows for a situation where scum are encouraged to kill you because it throws blame elsewhere, the other discourages scum from killing you as they want to avoid reinforcing unwanted attention. To that effect:

##vote Those On My Left

BUT MY DAVID TENNANT

##poo poo pants

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Ok so I am heading to my dad's birthday brunch so won't be posting much until the early afternoon. Here are my thoughts :

1) I have had a quick look at tbk's posts and think Bif and Beet are right. There's not much there and I think the scum are taking advantage of how little information we have

2) I was suss on Asphyxious yesterday and now he votes for me. Not exactly an OMGUS but not far from it

3) Speaking of having very little ~~data~~, I think we should become increasingly intolerant of the largely silent posters.

Ok will check back in a bit later

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Also

4) great flavour text, sweeroy, top shelf

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Just got back from birthday brunch and impromptu furniture shopping, have about a billion posts to read.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

so i suppose first i should respond to fixy's "get TOML" post

Asphyxious posted:

One of the first meaningful things TOML posted was ... a short quote from Mills about what scum should avoid in a game, with the focus on "avoid white noise posting as this is now what everyone just defaults to picking up on". So okay his first real input is advice to scum on how to play?
No scum player is ever going to publicly post tips to help their scum colleagues, that's dumb. I posted Mills' observations about scum tells because i wanted my fellow townies to be on the lookout for those tells. this is pretty straightforward tbh

Asphyxious posted:

Furthermore in the above quote what he "couldn't agree more" to was this: Harold loving Krell. Who consistently failed to address how "this is my first game" was backtracking. Yet apparently his flailing is solid enough for TOML to "couldn't agree more". seems an odd place to not pull a punch.
Harold wasn't flailing at this point. he was criticising you for lining up behind bif while waffling and refusing to commit to a solid theory. That was a reasonable point to make at that stage. it was later that he started flapping about like crazy (he hasn't really made any sense since).

That said, Fixy, now you absolutely are committing to a solid theory. that makes me way less suspicious of you, as this would be a hella risky play if you were actually scum

Asphyxious posted:

TOML TACTIC TWO: NOTHING MORE SUSPICIOUS THAN POSTING TOO MUCH NOT POSTING!
Fixy, posting way too much and posting way too little are both suspicious behaviours (actually, posting way too little is less suspicious and more just simply unhelpful). I take Beet's point that good scum are going to aim for that sweet spot of "just right" posting amount/content, but it's common knowledge that bad scum usually gently caress it up by posting way too much.

Asphyxious posted:

Yeah okay a random tithin vote out of nowhere. When asked to explain why, no answer again given.
Fixy my tithin vote was (a) a bit of a laugh and (b) yet another example of trying to get some conversation going so that there'd actually be something to talk about (eg if he'd erupted at me or gotten super defensive that would've been relevant). I didn't respond to your request for an explanation because as i had already made clear I was hosting relatives for dinner and wasn't posting anything at all that evening. Seriously, go check the timestamps - I said "hey I'm going quiet for a while", you said "why vote tithin", and I didn't vote again 'til morning.

Alright with that out of the way i'm going to have a look at this anidav/beet/bif thing and tell you what i think.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Okay so you all know I've generally been lining up behind Bifauxnen but can anyone tell me wtf this is

Bifauxnen posted:

Wow, more posts come rolling in just as I write that one. This growing Anidav-Beet shitfight feels like it's got scum pulling for one side. But lynching Gough might help shed some light on which side that is. Was he a townie just reacting really badly? Or was he scum trying to frame Beet very early?
like, I know Gough has a vested interest here but I can't actually make sense of this, his reply seems pretty on the money:

Hahahah this is hilarious. "I think beet or Anidav might be the target of scum, let's lynch a third unrelated person to discover which one."
i really can't make sense of this, especially given this observation by Gough about Bif's behaviour

In your list of people you are suspicious/trusting of ... You list anidav in the most suspicious camp, and Matthew Beet in the most trusting camp, and yet when a slapfight comes up between the two of them you, a fight in which you say you think one of them is being supported by scum, you decide to instead deflect away from it by voting for a third party.
mithranderp saw this too

Mithranderp posted:

I think it is a bit weird to lynch a third party to see which out of two people are scum though. I mean, they could both be scum, but notwithstanding that possibility, why risk a possibly innocent third party when you could just go directly for either of the suspects?
well what a headfuck this has been. yesterday I was sure Bif was town and Fixy was scum, and now i'm pretty sure Fixy is town and pretty drat suspicious of Bif.

##vote Bifauxnen

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

going to watch Frozen for the first time! bbl

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

I have not voted for anyone, not until now.

Anidav posted:

You are correct, I do however claim that I have no leadership role here and therefore will not be posting as much.

Given the current freakout I am happy to adhere to the current state of play on day one.

##vote Harold Krell

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

We have two deaths in one night guys. Anidav is absolutely warning you there's more to this than meets the eye.

are you having an out of body experience

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Anidav posted:

Don't get tunnel vision, town. The true culprits are among us.
a piercing observation about the game of mafia

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

fixed this for you

also lol

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Plotterboy posted:

loving phone posts. You guys can click it. Also goth and splode are trying to run another bandwagon.

This is exactly why I haven't voted for him yet. Suspect he's just embarrassingly bad and the scum are trying for (what really should be) a trivially easy lynch.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

laughed so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Splode posted:

How can you think he is town, he can't even keep a straight face as he posts excuses.

i don't know, something about his desperate earnest tone just speaks to me

gently caress it.

##vote Anidav

Anidav, seriously, if you're town, gently caress

• Locked thread