Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Actually smiled at op, I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not so much - I saw one as high as 30 at one point.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious posted:

Though I guess also those slowest to respond might be worth noting as scum generally all have to confer before launching their approach.

Except an experienced scum would be comfortable making a few empty white noise statements before organising anything I guess.

Or those slow to respond might just have real life poo poo going on?

We're not all unemployed at our PC's 24/7

(some of us are employed and at our phones 24/7)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I work but I can phone post.

FWIW I think no lynch day one is a decent idea. There's simply not enough data one way or the other.

A convert to the day 1 no lynch krew

Thank you

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious posted:

I work full time you welsh git.

Jerk detected! Click to read anyway!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Maybe we should all unvote in case we do something dumber than usual

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah but being fair in the last game there were 7 of us, period. So the stakes were higher.

Smart scum will play it cool and let us hang ourselves.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious posted:

I thought the point of mills game was more keen observance of what people say, less about gung ho tactics, personally.

Do I take it from this that you're not going to unvote?

I thought this was the good thread for a minute and was going to tell you to take it back to the mafia thread

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Christ you two are insufferable and we're only just out of the gate.

Just unvote him unless you're 100% convinced he's scum.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:agreed:

I'm not 100% convinced either of you are scum, but muybs overreaction is certainly interesting

*strokes beer soaked beard*

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bifauxnen posted:

Right now we're just sharing the same line of reasoning. If/when I get nightkilled, please don't take our current agreement as a sign that he has to be proven town too or anything.

Well, that's not suspicious at all

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Gough Suppressant posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress OMGUS stands for but I'm guessing it's some dumb poo poo that Mills used.

omgus = oh my god you suck

basically it's a spiteful way of voting because someone did it to you

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm not gonna vote muyb - way I'm reading him he is being way too.. blunt for me to think he's being anything but a surprised newbie town.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Splode posted:

Don't have excel installed, so lists will have to do.

People who said wait, don't lynch on day 1
GSC points finger at beet, doesn't vote
anidav (chill out)
bif voted fast, then backed off and unvoted

people who said day 1 lynch
tithin ("smart scum will play cool and let us hang ourselves")
beet encouraged to go with your gut (and voted for muyb)
I voted for muyb
TOML (points out that, according to mills, refusing to take a side is scummy)
TBK said gun it

You seem to be confused - I am a firm advocate for the day 1 no lynch. It's my meta, and I stand by it.

Unless there's a very small group, a day 1 lynch will only ever ever ever favour scum because the likelihood of hitting a smart scum would be exceptionally difficult.

are black tangled and harold krell name changes or cleanskins?

Harold Krell is a non auspoller.

I'm surprised he signed up for an Auspol game tbh, I've only ever seen him play in one game (where he was picked in spite of people knowing he was town because they found him irritating) and sign up for a second one and be refused due to the game I mentioned.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hey, don't argue, he's making the point that you're not scum, just a dickhead

The last part of which everyone knows is true

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think you're misreading what I'm saying, though not on purpose.

The corollary to the "no lynch day 1" rule should be "unless you have a damned good reason to" which we seldom do day 1.

Matthew Beet posted:

A day one lynch has a what, roughly one in five chance of getting scum out of the gate just by luck? That's not as impossible as tithin, who didn't like people talking about voting but would rather talk about not voting, would have you believe. Not saying your scummy tithin I'm just saying I don't think sitting back and doing nothing helps town as much as you all think it does.

Conversely, that's a 4/5 chance of hitting town, which aids scum.

Also, I wasn't getting lovely about you guys voting, I was getting lovely about the name calling and stuff straight off the bat :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Harold Krell posted:

What? If that person was trying to intentionally stir up trouble in the first place, wouldn't they be more likely to be mafia? I don't see how defending myself is a more suspicious action than a person trying to stir up an anthill.

They're stirring up trouble to view reactions.

The supposition being that in doing so they may root out nervous scum who may overreact.

This is of course, if you believe her to be town, otherwise, she's scum trying to stir up reactions and make other people think she's scum hunting.

Depends on how deep the particular rabbit hole you subscrube to goes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Matthew Beet posted:

Either way, it's data for the auspol data god :black101:

Noted IT Administrator Matthew Beet :tinfoil:

But yeah, you're right overall

Those On My Left posted:

uh, you can't subscribe to a rabbit hole

##vote tithin

Um excuse u, I clearly said "subscrubed" to it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Matthew Beet posted:

So that would make you a scrublord, yes?

:golfclap:

well played

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This is how Harold usually plays.

Whether this means he's scum or town, I have no loving idea.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

black_tangled posted:

Sold

##vote Harold Krell

EDITED TO FIX BOLD TAGS STOOPID NOOBIE

HTML is disabled here

use and instead

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

erm

[.b] and [./b]

without the .

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Harold Krell posted:

Ha! I actually woke up my neighbors because I was laughing so hard about how insipid and hate-filled this post was.

I was never in a "gibbering wreck". All this time, I have been cool, calm, and collected (the three "C"s that are the tenants of my personality) and just responding accordingly to the situation(s) at hand.

Also, Asphyxious never replied to my argument. And also, "Huh?" does not suffice as as sufficient argument.

Next time you suggest that someone is bad at mafia games, I suggest you take a good long look in the mirror (self awareness, remember?)

You're playing with a bunch of australians, there's no malice in any of these posts, merely shocked indignation.

Genuine question, no malice intended behind it, are you Autistic?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Harold Krell posted:

Tenants is also acceptable.

No, it's not. Tenants are people who occupy a premises. Tenets are what you mean.

I don't think you're scum, so I'm not voting for you - I do find it interesting to see who's voting for you though and the reasons. Most of it seems to boil down to "you're muddying the waters" (which is a valid reason) and "you're annoying" which is an infinitely weaker reason.

code:
noun
plural noun: tenants

a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.
    "council-house tenants"
    synonyms:	occupant, resident, inhabitant; More
    leaseholder, lessee, renter, holder;
    addressee;
    lodger, boarder;
    occupier, sitting tenant;
    roomer;
    formaldweller;
    historicalfeodary
    antonyms:	owner, freeholder
        Law
        a person in possession of real property by any right or title.

verb
3rd person present: tenants

occupy (property) as a tenant.
    "the house was tenanted by his cousin"

code:
tenet
ˈtɛnɪt,ˈtiːnɛt/
noun
plural noun: tenets

a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy.
    "the tenets of classical liberalism"
    synonyms:	principle, belief, doctrine, precept, creed, credo, article of faith, dogma, canon, rule; More
People I'm relatively sure are town

Beet (poo poo stirring, but with a purpose)

People I'm suspicious of, but not overly so

Bif (poo poo stirring, but seems to be a bit more malicious and capricious with her voting, though we might be able to put that down to her condition? :v: )

Muyb (responded weirdly to a joke vote)

TOML (sucking up to bif)

IF you're not on this list, you're too quiet.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

He's >60?

I suppose that makes sense

Also, I kinda posted my list early because it's getting close to kid bed time, and I had my eldest on my lap watching the duck song

I'll likely do a full review tommorow and post then with all names attached

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Splode posted:

I've never heard of a day 1 meltdown, this is a rare spectacle.

I had a day 2 meltdown a few months ago between auspol games, it was magical.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Taking me a while to catch up because I'm at work but I think in a doggy dog game like mafia saying that you shouldn't use past posts in the thread as contacts for a vote is for all intensive purposes really dumb.

I'm p sure this is bait.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Great flavour text.

I slept while driving my left eye into a loving pillow, so I'm going to post later in the day when my eye stings a little less - sorry.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Matthew Beet posted:

After I spent all day yesterday saying waiting doesn't help town, you come in and want to wait another day?

##vote anidav

This is a rather strange reading of what he's saying duder, the way I'm reading it is a fairly innocuous comment saying that there was nothing unremarkable about the choice of person killed - not "OH WELL DAY 2 IS A WIPE"

I think you're overreacting.

Anyway, now that my eye is no longer stingy as gently caress, I promised a list of who I was suspicious of and why.

Most suspicious
----------------------//-------------------------

Beet - all over the place with his responses and while we got ~DATA~ from him and bifs poo poo slinging on day 1, I'm becoming less convinced that he's town by how angrily he's posting today.

Bif - I stand by what I said yesterday, voting is all over the place, and seems capricious in some respects, but I see what her and beet were up to yesterday. I'm half convinced that at least one between beet and bif is scum, and the other unknowingly helping, which one though? I dunno.

Muyb - Seems pretty brittle, like any pressure at all might break him.

TOML - Tripping a lot of peoples radars for some reason, the only thing I can see him doing "wrong" is sucking up to Bif, which after her performance in the last two games isn't exactly unwarranted.

Harold Krell - I have no loving idea man, seems remarkably ignorant. I'm half convinced he's autistic or something but I can't tell if he's just really bad at Mafia or really really good.

Small Keating - Innocuous comments here and there, could be trying to lay low.

No idea at all

Black_Tangled, GSC, QM, Plopperbot, Coq, Mithranderp - Hasn't posted a lot worth reading.

Probably not scum

Asphyxious - Hinted strongly that he's got a power role, which is a newbie mistake to make - sorry mate. You should have hinted less.

Me - For the sake of Harold Krell.. :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh wow, I missed the post on the previous page.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious posted:

Oh for...

okay I think your post will drat me, I'm not trying to say I'm a power role.

I majored in forensic linguistics. Aside from analysing handwriting (which is how I worked out my secret santa was splode) one of my main talents is the ability to contrast chunks of text and data for any breaks in behavior and pattern. Several times in Adelaide I helped university professors with actual police work using forensic discourse analysis.

I read every post in the good thread. I know how most all of you post. I notice when it changes.

I see - in that case I've misread you, but I would imagine that most people would come to the same conclusion I did.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious posted:

should have night killed me day one then, if thats what they thought.

Oh wait I guess if everyone thought I had a power role and I *didn't* die that would then potentially cast suspicion on me? That seems clumsy though.

No, I only came to the conclusion today that you had a power role based, on what you wrote today.

Truth told, I haven't actually gone back and done a full re-read this morning on all of yesterdays posting, so I can't remember if you made any posts hinting at power roles yesterday.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious posted:

speaking of power roles when DO they generally start cropping up? Like I get that its dumb to wave them around, but generally how long does it take for someone to say something?

It's entirely subjective to the person and the role and what they feel comfortable saying.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious is the BBC Sherlock Holmes of languages.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah I'm saying day 2 is a wipe too thanks to our 'never lynch d1 crew '. So of course I'm going to be hyper critical of people wanting to maintain the status quo that isn't working for town.

I said as much in the good thread, but I see where you're coming from with pushing for day 1 lynches now. I still think my argument has merits for a day 1 no lynch, but you've managed to convince me it's a good idea now

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mithranderp posted:

Beet I'll also say that if we were to lynch you before Anidav, we're taking a huge risk in getting rid of someone who's been posting quite a bit, being fairly constructive, etc. This is as opposed to Anidav, who has posted...not much constructive at all. I'd rather not lynch Bif straight off the bat because she is making an effort to post and catch scum, but Anidav, on the other hand...

Not explicitly calling you out as scummy here, but that post could be construed as a scummy - you're essentially saying that you'd prefer to vote for a quiet player as opposed to a noisy one regardless of belief on them being scummy or not, which is a pretty common scum tactic (after all, scum know they can nightkill the noisy players actively scum hunting, and direct town to lynch the quiet non contributing players).

You need only look at previous games to realise that scum tend to be the more active players and try to direct lynches this way and that, to anyone but themselves.

Not that I'm defending Anidav, but as someone (can't remember who) pointed out, it's very possible that people are mistaking his quiet and attempts to fly under the radar for scummy activity, due to how he normally posts and his meta look of "whiny dickhead". It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for him.

I might do a re-read of Anidav later this evening though, just to see if I can't pick up on any major tells.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I thought that you didn't melt down yesterday, Harold? /amused.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's the current vote tally, votefinder?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anidav posted:

Wait, you can summon votefinder like that?

I'm not 100%, but usually if someone says its name, he shows up within the hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Haha, gently caress there he is.

• Locked thread