Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Yesterday I was waiting outside on a street corner in downtown, waiting for my cab to pick me up. I had my over-the-ear headphones on and was off to the side so I wouldn't be in the way.
Cue this beggar walking around with a sign. I don't read it because I'm scanning traffic for a cab. He stands right in front of me and gestures towards his sign. My eyes immediately fall on the words "Four starving children" so I shrug and look back at traffic. There are a billion resources for people with children and the area I'm in is known for beggars that aren't actually homeless.
You'd think he'd just scoff and move on but no, he stands there still. I make the mistake of looking at him again and he's motioning for me to take my headphones off. I see my cab down the street so I remove my headphones. The dude asks me if I have any change. I shake my head.
Now he's mad. "You don't even have a dollar? Anything? Those are some expensive headphones there and all I need is a couple bucks." (My headphones are non name brand and cost like $30)
"I don't have any cash on me." I respond, and it's true. I just have my debit card.
"I know you've got loving SOMETHING and I NEED this money for my four kids. They're cold and hungry."
I look him in the eye as my cab pulls up and just say. "Then you probably should use your money for birth control next time."
He starts freaking out and yelling at me and even punches the window on the cab as he's trying to get away.
What do you think? Was I out of line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LoG posted:

Yesterday I was waiting outside on a street corner in downtown, waiting for my cab to pick me up. I had my over-the-ear headphones on and was off to the side so I wouldn't be in the way.
Cue this beggar walking around with a sign. I don't read it because I'm scanning traffic for a cab. He stands right in front of me and gestures towards his sign. My eyes immediately fall on the words "Four starving children" so I shrug and look back at traffic. There are a billion resources for people with children and the area I'm in is known for beggars that aren't actually homeless.
You'd think he'd just scoff and move on but no, he stands there still. I make the mistake of looking at him again and he's motioning for me to take my headphones off. I see my cab down the street so I remove my headphones. The dude asks me if I have any change. I shake my head.
Now he's mad. "You don't even have a dollar? Anything? Those are some expensive headphones there and all I need is a couple bucks." (My headphones are non name brand and cost like $30)
"I don't have any cash on me." I respond, and it's true. I just have my debit card.
"I know you've got loving SOMETHING and I NEED this money for my four kids. They're cold and hungry."
I look him in the eye as my cab pulls up and just say. "Then you probably should use your money for birth control next time."
He starts freaking out and yelling at me and even punches the window on the cab as he's trying to get away.

Next time beat him with his own stupid sign.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lolie posted:

It also makes for lovely teenage years and not having grandparents around for long. My parents were in their mid-forties when I was born. One died when I was 24 and the other when I was 26, so the whole "taking care of your parents" thing came up for me quite young in my adult life and even my eldest (who was 6 when my mother died) has no recollection of them.

Wait - so to make up for it you had kids yourself at 18?

lol

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Literally every guy I know with kids consistently and unflinchingly lies about what he's doing just to eek out an hour of quality non-chaos time to himself.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EugeneJ posted:

Wait - so to make up for it you had kids yourself at 18?

lol

Nah, I was 20 when my first was born - pretty common for the era (getting married at 25 was "late" then, and starting a family at 30 was downright suspicious).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

LoG posted:

i think you own, there are plenty of handsome men who study the planet and the species and come to the conclusion of anti-natalism being a new necessary moral rule without being fatty virgin greasers or whatever despite the stereotype

(i am one of the handsome kind myself)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Secks Cauldron posted:

She's American.

It really doesn't matter.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Meh, crotch spawn are such a waste of time

*resumes painstakingly crafting Dr. Who/Sonic crossover fanfic*

*continues hating parents for no reason*

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

can you guys please follow my pregnant cuties tumblr? thx

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
real talk dink lifestyle with two good incomes in a flyover state owns owns owns, sorry if you don't get to experience that

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Do it ironically posted:

true story people who have kids try to get other people to have kids because they hate their lives and want you to hate yours out of jealousy

This is totally true... they are jealous of the CF people because they are going to be young forever and will just be having fun nonstop and will never die because they don't have kids.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Having kids is a sign of success. Debt is also a sign of great success.

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006

jackyl posted:

real talk dink lifestyle with two good incomes in a flyover state owns owns owns, sorry if you don't get to experience that

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I'd love to have kids but I'm pretty conflicted about whether I should. I have real bad depression and anxiety issues and would feel bad passing that on to someone else knowing full well I'm doing it. Also I'm afraid I wouldn't be up for the responsibility. I'll be an uncle in a couple of months though so that's cool I guess.

edit: whoops serious posting in fuckin GBS

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

As someone with two children who I love very much, gently caress anyone who says that you have to have kids.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The mere act of bringing another human being into the world is of such incredible consequence and weight that the prospect of people rushing into it or going off emotions alone is crazy.
What's the point of having kids, anyway? I'm still young and naive I guess but I don't see the appeal.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dude just get married once you get married the sex stops so you dont have to worry about kids.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I appreciate the effort op. Also enjoying the sad goons trying to justify themselves as a nice bonus

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

LoG posted:

Just walked away from a two year relationship for many reasons, but the main one was that I don't want children and she does within three years. On our first date, she agreed with me, saying she had never wanted kids and was even a little iffy on marriage. Halfway through the relationship she changed her mind, then it was all: "so have you rethought the baby-thing? You have to tell me if you're sure you'll never change your mind. Why don't you want them? You must not love me the same as I love you." A year of this. I even softened my stance on it, considered it. Hey, I'm not going to be young and beautiful forever, right? But then she laid down the timetable ultimatum. In 3 years?! I just couldn't handle that. So I had to walk away.

This is the second love I've left because I refuse to compromise on my child timetable, which honestly, has equal probability of being never. The first one I left told me at about a year as well. Though to be fair, this one did not change her mind, merely that we had never brought it up until that point. Both exes were in their late 20's at the time.

This is starting to get to me. I don't like being single all the time, having to break up in the middle of love because I don't want to water down my life with children. And my options are becoming limited, all the women my age who haven't already procreated want to, and soon. Tick tock. I wish I wanted children.

I'm beginning to think maybe I'm going to need to give into the ransom, if only to be able to hold on to someone I love...

i'm single no kids happy, gonna retire when i want, you just made poor choices.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im going to become an ascetic monk. that gong is mine.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dudes parents dying when he was in his 20s loving lucked out on the whole "who is gonna take care of Alzheimer's stricken mom until she finally stops breathing"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol if you die in your 60s tho. That's really lovely genetics

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Lol if you die in your 60s tho. That's really lovely genetics

duno means you die before going senile and pooping yourself, then again goons start pooping them selves on the reg in public at around 10 years old so

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TOILETLORD posted:

duno means you die before going senile and pooping yourself,
That's only usually the case if you don't take care of yourself (or lovely genetics), although most people probably can't be 104 and still running marathons.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

That's only usually the case if you don't take care of yourself (or lovely genetics), although most people probably can't be 104 and still running marathons.

really why would you want to live past 60?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TOILETLORD posted:

really why would you want to live past 60?

If I make it to 80, I'm doing all the drugs.

I'll take smoking back up and drink a liter of alcohol a day.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

VendaGoat posted:

If I make it to 80, I'm doing all the drugs.

I'll take smoking back up and drink a liter of alcohol a day.

when i hit 60 i plan to just do all the steroids till they kill me

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

opus111 posted:

I am a happy person.

no you're not, you get friendzoned constantly

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
Having kids is good and cool b/c they're cute as hell and fun as hell and they make me laugh my rear end off on a daily basis

gay sewer monster
Jan 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
the statefarm commercial where the guy says "i won't do the thing"

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

having kids near 40 adds astronomically high chances of retardation and other developmental disorders so have fun with hosed up retard kids

Bullshit astronomical my rear end, i know of many old dads. One in particular is 55, has 3 kids and is married to a 26 years old hot blonde with blue eyes (he looks like a wet sack of potatoes and has a similar character, prolly a superstar in bed or something). And guess what?! Only one kid is retarded! This is Berlin

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 18, 2015

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
is "gently caress trash" an acceptable term for children?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

LoG posted:

Sounds to me like the homeless population sees you as something called a "mark"

Were you out of line? No but since you waited until you had a way out before poo poo talking everyone thinks you're a basic beta bitch. Hth crotch spawn 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

is "gently caress trash" an acceptable term for children?

gently caress trash
gently caress trophies

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

i cant speak for everyone but for the first thing, we both have jobs so we periodically get money from those jobs, and the amount we get gradually goes up as we get better at our jobs

for the second thing, we are both adults and dont spend all day long playing video games so it kind of frees up our schedule to do stuff like this guy does

but without the vasectomy part so in 5-10 years we can pass on our genetic material so that someone will take care of us rather than putting us in a nursing home once we revert to making GBS threads ourselves and not knowing how to talk. the circle of life

You're going to be in for a really nasty surprise if you honestly think your kids are going to take care of you rather than putting you in a home the second it gets too hard to care for you. Do you seriously think everyone living in homes is childless or something?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I get really weirded out when the CF types start talking about how superior their dogs are. It's all "My dog is obedient, and loving, and will die in a timeframe I find acceptable and convenient, heck I can even have it put down on a whim or just chuck it out a moving car at any time! Beat THAT breeders!". I mean, granted anyone who prides themselves on not breeding is probably some kind of autistic fuckup, but the ones who mythologise themselves for being Godking ubermensch because they achieved respect from an animal that will gleefully eat it's own poo poo, and is genetically engineered to worship you anyway, need to be put on some kind of watchlist.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I don't want any kids, but it's just because I never want to go through a pregnancy and I don't have the patience to deal with them. Not because of some bullshit humble-brag excuse about spending money, overpopulation or my genes.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

LoG posted:

You don't need to think this much about shifty hobos. Seek therapy and sever contact with the bum.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Kimmalah posted:

I don't want any kids, but it's just because I never want to go through a pregnancy and I don't have the patience to deal with them. Not because of some bullshit humble-brag excuse about spending money, overpopulation or my genes.

kids are cool once they can talk and you can send them away after a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Everything women do in the context of relationships/sex is part of some greater psychological game and I just want to fuckies so it's irreconcilable...

The worst is that they pretend they want the same thing as you, doll themselves up and drive you nuts, but just want something for themselves that you don't want. I guess what I'm saying is I'm gay.

• Locked thread