Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am very late in putting this damned thing out so I'll keep it brief. This is the CineD annual movie award. We have an academy of judges, they nominate stuff, then they vote on a winner and then presentations are made. It's like The Oscars except no one cares about it, our academy are slightly less homophobic and Micheal Bay has a chance of winning. Here is a link to the last one. As of the writing of this I have no sent out e-mails or PMs to the judges but I'll get on that shortly. Right now the purpose of this topic is to argue for the films you think deserve attention. The categories are as follows:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance
Best Animation
Best Film Editing
Best Makeup and Costuming
Best Original Score
The Echoplex Award for Art Design
Best Documentary
The Moral High Horse Award: Most Reprehensible Film
The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking
Best Food/Meal Scene
The Armond White Award for best film under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes
The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer
The Michael Bay Award for Best Noises or Lack Thereof (Sound Design)
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Action Choreography
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Original Screenplay
Best Visual Effects
Best Cinematography
CineD MVP
Best Musical Direction

If you have any questions about what any of these mean, just ask away.

Also I'm gonna say it right now: Blah Airlines is not eligible.

If you have any questions where a nominee might fall or if it came out this year, let me know and I'll make the call.

So start telling people what you think deserves nomination. I have to go figure out who the judges are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually, y'know what, if you want to be a judge this year please send and e-mail to cinebytes2015@gmail.com

Please give me your username and indicate whether you have been a judge before or not. If I don't choose you to be a judge, take it very personally.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

We should call it the Goonys. Also Vargo probably has a list of judges from last year that you could start with.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

We should call it the Goonys. Also Vargo probably has a list of judges from last year that you could start with.

I already got that from him and I'll use it but right now it'll just be easier on me to get the e-mails by people e-mailing me and it also makes it less likely the e-mails that I send out don't get lost. I'll persue some judges if I don't get responses but for a few days I'll try it this way.

Also as the title says it is still not called The Goonys.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

axleblaze posted:

Blah Airlines is not eligible.

Abstaining for moral reasons.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Come on, I didn't even watch BLAH Airlines but it should totally be eligible. If we draw the line there then we're no better than those Academy fucks who nominated Theory of Everything for multiple awards.

edit: Let's try and tie every Best Picture nominee this year so we end up with 10 winners.

edit2: I mean, are you really gonna disqualify the packaged peanuts scene from BLAH Airlines for Best Food/Meal Scene?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 15, 2015

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
22 Jump Street has to have the best meal scene of the year. I laughed my drat rear end off when Jonah Hill realized who his girlfriends father was.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me best meal scene pretty easily goes to Nightcrawler.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Are drinks meals? Cause the bar scene in The Guest wins.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

I'll get back to you on that.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

axleblaze posted:

For me best meal scene pretty easily goes to Nightcrawler.

That is a good scene too, but you if you're looking at uncomfortable meal scenes you need to consider a Boyhood as well.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That is a good scene too, but you if you're looking at uncomfortable meal scenes you need to consider a Boyhood as well.

Whiplash had a good meal scene as well, and Obvious Child had back-to-back meals that really fit the movie well.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

weekly font posted:

I'm going to say drinks count. The whole reasoning for that category (and indeed CineD's obsession with food scenes), comes from the idea of all literary food being a form of "communion," as explained here in the highly-recommended How To Read Literature Like A Professor:

quote:

Sometimes a meal is just a meal, and eating with others is simply eating with others. More often than not, though, it’s not. Once or twice a semester at least, I will stop discussion of the story or play under consideration to intone (and I invariably intone in bold): whenever people eat or drink together, it’s communion. For some reasons, this is often met with a slightly scandalized look, communion having for many readers one and only one meaning. While that meaning is very important, it is not the only one. Nor, for that matter, does Christianity have a lock on the practice. Nearly every religion has some liturgical or social ritual involving the coming together of the faithful to share sustenance. So I have to explain that just as intercourse has meanings other than sexual, or at least did at one time, so not all communions are holy. In fact, literary versions of communion can interpret the word in quite a variety of ways.

Here’s the thing to remember about communions of all kinds: in the real world, breaking bread together is an act of sharing and peace, since if you’re breaking bread you’re not breaking heads. One generally invites one’s friends to dinner, unless one is trying to get on the good side of enemies or employers. We’re quite particular about those with whom we break bread. We may not, for instance, accept a dinner invitation from someone we don’t care for. The act of taking food into our bodies is so personal that we really only want to do it with people we’re very comfortable with. As with any convention, this one can be violated. A tribal leader or Mafia don, say, may invite his enemies to lunch and then have them killed. In most areas, however, such behavior is considered very bad form.

Generally, eating with another is a way of saying, “I’m with you, I like you, we form a community together.” And that is a form of communion.

So food scenes are about the act of communion, and sometimes about the destruction of community. So having drinks totally counts.

Plus, last year we nominated the "Mmm hmm hmm hmm" drinks from Wolf of Wall Street.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

As always, the meal category will have the strongest competition.

Any suggestions for Moral High Horse Award? I've heard bad things about American Sniper, but we also shouldn't forget Kirk Cameron's Magnum Opus Saving Christmas.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The blood drinking scenes in Only Lovers Left Alive
The cafeteria scenes in Dear White People
Snowpiercer protein bars
Inherent Vice's motto panukeiku
Under the Skin - ScarJo trying and failing to eat

Samuel Clemens posted:

Any suggestions for Moral High Horse Award? I've heard bad things about American Sniper, but we also shouldn't forget Kirk Cameron's Magnum Opus Saving Christmas.

I usually don't watch enough lovely movies to fill out a full nominee list for this award, but I'm gonna nominate Million Dollar Arm for it's offensive human shopping, portrayal of Indians as goofy backwards outsiders who don't understand light switches, and that horrible loving "I think of it as in-country outsourcing" line.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Boxtrolls unfortunately fits. It's a weird film because it has a very positive message, but only as it applies to the good guys. It pretty much contradicts all of it's positive messages in how it deals with and portrays the main villain. It's honestly extremely weird.

Also, while I really liked the movie, an argument can be made for Gone Girl. It would be kind of cool to have a movie nominated for best movie and most reprehensible actually.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So what are some good movies that qualify for the Armond White Award? Only one I've got is The Interview.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

axleblaze posted:

Also, while I really liked the movie, an argument can be made for Gone Girl. It would be kind of cool to have a movie nominated for best movie and most reprehensible actually.

I believe Man of Steel had that distinction last year? I may be wrong.

To be honest, that category used to be my favorite, it was my idea, but I like it less and less. It's definitely the most Razzie-ish of all the categories.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

So what are some good movies that qualify for the Armond White Award? Only one I've got is The Interview.

As Above So Below (27%) and Life After Beth (45%) are ones that immediately jump to mind for me. There's also Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (45%), which wasn't amazing but certainly better than that.

Hilariously Lucy is literally a single percentage point too high to be nominated.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Need for Speed was a lot of fun, but it's only at 22% on the Tomato Meter.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Need For Speed does indeed own. It's only crime is needing an editor.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
How about Dom Hemingway (59%)?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I didn't see Need for Speed but one of the FilmComment critics put it on their Top 10 and it made me smile.

As Above, So Below is a good choice. Robocop and The Purge: Anarchy qualify as well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Snowpiercer protein bars
Under the Skin - ScarJo trying and failing to eat

Top two picks for Food in my book.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man, the moral repugnancy award is gonna be way easier to think up nominations for than last year. All of the dumb God movies, American Sniper, it's gonna be a fun one.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Either Kirk Cameron or God's Not Dead.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

There's also an asylum movie called Alpha House that's quite reprehensible. The premise is that a crusty old dean makes a frat house co-ed so that the guys will sexually harass the girls and he can get them kicked out of the school. The guys do harass the girls, but the girls don't report he legit harassment. Instead, they make false accusations up. It's a truly baffling movie, and among the worst I've ever seen.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There's also an asylum movie called Alpha House that's quite reprehensible. The premise is that a crusty old dean makes a frat house co-ed so that the guys will sexually harass the girls and he can get them kicked out of the school. The guys do harass the girls, but the girls don't report he legit harassment. Instead, they make false accusations up. It's a truly baffling movie, and among the worst I've ever seen.

File this under Movies I'll Never Watch.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Well this sounds vile.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Well this sounds vile.

Sounds about par for the Asylum.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Who do all y'all pick as MVP? Gyllenhaal? Lord & Miller? Tatum?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Who do all y'all pick as MVP? Gyllenhaal? Lord & Miller? Tatum?

Tilda Swinton has to be in the running. Snowpiercer, Only Lovers Left Alive, Grand Budapest, all dope. Rose Byrne is in a bunch of stuff too, but the quality is a little lower (Neighbors, Annie, This is Where I Leave You)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well, since no one else has done this yet, I might as well start this up:

Best Picture
Boyhood
The Guest
Venus In fur
Dear White People
Whiplash
The Babadook
Pride
Snowpiercer
Interstellar
Guardians of the Galaxy

Best Director
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Roman Polanski, Venus in Fur
John Michael McDonagh, Calvary
Damien Chazelle, Whiplash
Jonathan Glazer, Under the Skin
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Dan Gilroy, Nightcrawler
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birdman
Mike Leigh, Mr Turner
David Fincher, Gone Girl

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Dan Stevens, The Guest
Brendan Gleeson, Calvary
Bill Hader, The Skeleton Twins
Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Tom Hardy, Locke
Mathieu Amalric, Venus in Fur
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler
Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
Timothy Spall, Mr Turner
Tyler James Williams, Dear White People

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
JK Simmons, Whiplash
Bradley Cooper, Guardians of the Galaxy
Edward Norton, Birdman
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Dominic West, Pride
Bill Nighy, Pride
Luke Wilson, The Skeleton Twins
Tyler Perry, Gone Girl

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Emmanuelle Seigner, Venus in Fur
Essie Davis, The Babadook
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Jenny Slate, Obvious Child
Kristen Wiig: The Skeleton Twins
Scarlett Johansson, Under the Skin
Catherine Keener, War Story
Anna Kendrick, Happy Christmas
Helen Memel, Wetlands
Tessa Thompson, Dear White People

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Rene Russo, Nightcrawler
Imelda Staunton, Pride
Jessica Gunning, Pride
Tilda Swinton, Snowpiercer
Agata Kulesza, Ida
Marion Bailey, Mr Turner

Andy Serkis, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Bradley Cooper, Guardians of the Galaxy
Richard Ayoade/Nick Frost, Boxtrolls

Best Animation
Boxtrolls
How To Train your Dragon 2
The Lego Movie

Best Film Editing
Whiplash
Boyhood
Nightcrawler
The Babadook
The Den
Oculus
Interstellar
Venus in Fur
Edge of Tomorrow
Gone Girl

Best Makeup and Costuming
Foxcatcher
Guardians of the Galaxy

Best Original Score
Interstellar
Gone Girl
Foxcatcher

The Echoplex Award for Art Design
Mr Turner
Boxtrolls
The Babadook
Snowpiercer
The Lego Movie
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Interstellar
What We Do in the Shadows

Best Documentary
I saw embarrassingly few docs this year...

The Moral High Horse Award: Most Reprehensible Film
Boxtrolls

The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking
Calvary for being a film that takes a hard look at the real effect the sex scandals have had on the church
Dear White People for looking at lesser problems that black people deal with as still real problems
Nightcrawler for it's look at the evils of the media
Pride for it's positive portrayal as Gay people as just being people that you just need to get to know and also for being pro-union.
Obvious Child for being blunt and realistic about abortion as just a thing women do.

Best Food/Meal Scene
Nightcrawler: the date
The Guest: bar scene
Snowpiercer: protein bars/first sushi
Whiplash: Awkward family dinner/cafe breakup
Calvary: Why would you tell me that story?
Boyhood: too many to list
Dear White People: food hall debate
Obvious Child: trying to break the news on a date
Pride: going to gay bars with the ladies
What We Do in the Shadows: you're eating worms

The Armond White Award for best film under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes
As Above So Below
Life After Beth

The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer
I'll fill this in later

The Michael Bay Award for Best Noises or Lack Thereof (Sound Design)
Under the Skin
The Guest
The Babadook
Edge of Tomorrow
Whiplash

Best Ensemble Cast
Calvary
Dear White People
Pride
Happy Christmas
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
They Came Together
Foxcatcher
Boyhood
Snowpiercer

Best Action Choreography
The Raid 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America 2
Edge of Tomorrow
The Guest
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Best Adapted Screenplay
Venus in Fur
Pride
Gone Girl
Edge of Tomorrow
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Foxcatcher

Best Original Screenplay
Boyhood
The Babadook
Calvary
The Skeleton Twins
Locke
Obvious Child

Best Visual Effects
Guardians of the Galaxy
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Boxtrolls
Interstellar
X-Men: Days of Future Past
The Lego Movie
Godzilla

Best Cinematography
Mr Turner
Under the Skin
Calvary
Nightcrawler
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ida
Foxcatcher
The Raid 2
Interstellar
Gone Girl

CineD MVP
Lord & Miller (Lego Movie, 22 Jump St)
Anna Kendrick (she was like in five movies this year)

Best Musical Direction
The Guest
Pride
Whiplash
Gone Girl
The Skeleton Twins
Birdman
Guardians of the Galaxy

Okay, that should be enough to get this started.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

CineD MVP
Anna Kendrick (she was like in five movies this year)

To be fair though, like half of those things are waiting until 2015 to actually be seen (Cake, Voices, Last Five Years)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I like the Kendrick nom for MVP and I'll probably throw Gyllenhall in there too once I make my list just between Enemy and Nightcrawler.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I'd suggest a few different nominations myself, but really only for two categories.

Best Ensemble Cast
Guardians of the Galaxy. I really don't think it would've worked with a different combination of actors.

Chris Pratt in The Lego Movie (I refuse to justify this.)
Vin Diesel in Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm sorry, but a great deal of why Groot was one of the breakout characters of last year was Vin's performance, even if that performance consisted of 3 words, repeated in a variety of fashions (and one different one that's drat near heartbreaking).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Obvious choice for the Not-Crash Award is Citizenfour for bringing real issues that really are affecting us and are loving terrifying to light.

Also Best Picture, and Best Director for Laura Poitras. Best Documentary is a no-brainer, sorry Life Itself and Jodorowsky's Dune.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Does The Unknown Known count for this year? That's the only documentary I watched.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Does The Unknown Known count for this year? That's the only documentary I watched.

It didn't get a non-festival release until April of 2014, so I would argue yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I'll make some effort posts later for the ones that are gonna go mostly underappreciated, but for now I'm just gonna remind everyone that Whiplash, Nightcrawler and Under The Skin are all great and should be nominated for lots of stuff.

The ones I'll be arguing for later will be Godzilla and Lucy and it is my goal for both of them to be nominated for best picture.

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 17, 2015

• Locked thread