Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Open floor plans have been really fun at the jobs I didn't care for and just wanted to goof off with my buddies all day. So I guess I am a proponent of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rabble posted:

My company is reconfiguring the entire office from 6 foot cubes to 4 foot cubes and adding a lot more glass instead of drywall. I'm sitting in one of the new areas now and it's actually pretty great because there is a lot more light but I still have a cubicle desk where I can do work.

I do not understand how people get any work done in those open office playpens.

The started putting them up at my work place, touting how it was improving collaboration and efficiency and looks so much nicer etc. Then the people in the cube started complaining all over the place about how anyone walking by their station would instantly disrupt them regardless of the level of noise the person made.

naem
May 29, 2011

Wafflz posted:

Aren't flavorless food squares/paste a key part of pretty much every sci-fi dystopia story?

"Sci-fi distopia" describes the Bay Area p well

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Nerds grew up with dystopian sci-fi poo poo.

Instead of getting the right idea and try to avoid creating the dystopia they just want to be in charge of the megacorporations.

In short, gently caress them.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I got a job offer last week from a two-man social media start-up that proposed to make me CTO on the condition that I receive shares in company stock, not cold hard cash.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You're gonna feel silly when those dudes are dotcom jillionaires!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

when i worked as somebody who had to write a lot every day, they moved me out of the quite office with all the programmers and into their new open-plan office with all the sales crew, lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wafflz posted:

Aren't flavorless food squares/paste a key part of pretty much every sci-fi dystopia story?

The whole startup machine basically is trying to create a tech utopia no body wants.

Al Cowens posted:

I got a job offer last week from a two-man social media start-up that proposed to make me CTO on the condition that I receive shares in company stock, not cold hard cash.

A friendly reminder that 90 percent startups fail completely, so it's basically a choice of worthless stock or actual money for your time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
last time i worked at a startup their accountant was on vacation for a month and they couldn't pay me (the miserable wage that I earned there) til she got back.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

last time i worked at a startup their accountant was on vacation for a month and they couldn't pay me (the miserable wage that I earned there) til she got back.

Getting paid on time is for a boring regular job.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

etalian posted:

Getting paid on time is for a boring regular job.

yeah they let people wear flip flops and shorts to work unlike those corporate tie slaves. fair trade-off if you ask me.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

poo poo had a good dystopian idea. You know how people scam rich cowards who are afraid of death with cryogenic services? Enter Trans4m - a service that uploads a dying person's brain to an encrypted 40 TB file to be used when suitable robot bodies are invented in 'the future'. The recently-deceased person's consciousness file will peacefully slumber on the military-grade servers & be maintained by a secret celibate order of CS engineers for centuries to come. This is already probably something real =/.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sancho posted:

celibate order of CS engineers

you don't need to say it twice, man

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sancho posted:

secret celibate order of CS engineers

So basically any CS engineers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

you don't need to say it twice, man

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
god i want a poster of that so bad

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
From yesterday but...

Pulp Can Move posted:

I will not be happy until my microwave knows to shut itself off when the popcorn stops popping and also thinks that dinosaurs and humans coexisted.

Mine does! My microwave (7 year old Kenmore Elite model) has a popcorn button with a steam sensor that detects when it's done and always pops popcorn perfectly. No burns, very few unpopped kernels etc. :science:

I think it's also more intelligent than the people who think humans had to hide in caves to avoid getting eaten by dinosaurs too

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It looks like someone has thrown a pair of bloomers into the machine.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Al Cowens posted:

I think I'd like this more than soylent but it's still gently caress off expensive
http://mealsquares.com

cool can i get a dispenser for my office that spits these things out when employees press a lever? maybe put it at the end of a maze, to encourage lateral thinking?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

paranoid randroid posted:

cool can i get a dispenser for my office that spits these things out when employees press a lever? maybe put it at the end of a maze, to encourage lateral thinking?

Dude, you can't make one come out every time or people won't work as hard pulling that lever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

god i want a poster of that so bad

Sex can wait I'm a engineer

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Al Cowens posted:

I think I'd like this more than soylent but it's still gently caress off expensive
http://mealsquares.com

Subscribe to this food product beta test and save big:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpaceGoku posted:

Subscribe to this food product beta test and save big:

lol

Cheaper than average food budget!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It doesn't look that bad. For the same amount of calories you'd have to eat like half a box of granola bars which would cost about the same. The price seems decent enough if they taste okay.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Only $510 a month to avoid revolting, labor intensive actual food.

Will probably be a big hit with SV workaholics.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Using it as a complete food replacement is dumb as hell, but everyone misses a meal once in a while.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It looks like MRE food

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Germstore posted:

It doesn't look that bad. For the same amount of calories you'd have to eat like half a box of granola bars which would cost about the same. The price seems decent enough if they taste okay.

"We really surprised ourselves when our prototypes turned out tasty; this was the point that we knew we had to share it with others."

I think the key word there is "suprised" which means, "wow, this batch doesn't taste quite like dog poo poo anymore"

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Germstore posted:

Hypothetical person who thinks "half a box of granola bars" is an acceptable meal is probably the exact market this product is targeted towards.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its not an inherently bad idea, but like all the other stupid food-disruption products its pitched in a way that makes its target market sound like the most insipid useless idiots ont he planet

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if i was an engineer i'd be really mad about how things targeted at me assume i'm like a well compensated gollum

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

if i was an engineer i'd be really mad about how things targeted at me assume i'm like a well compensated gollum

my precious startups we wants a facebook buy out

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

old dog child posted:

It looks like MRE food

It actually is. It's the same basic idea as the Army D-ration from World War 2 except with different ingredients. Except the D-ration was meant for emergency use during combat, not for every day nutrition.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 17, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Not all of em are like that!

Just a higher than normal number

Crossbreed in some libertarianism and you've got a bunch of gently caress You My Precious type people who think they're inherently superior to everyone else and can apply what they know to everything, which doesn't always really work out

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
whats cooking precious we eats our conies raw & wriggling, in the ball pit

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Work life balance? It burns us!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It actually is. It's the same basic idea as the Army D-ration from World War 2 except with different ingredients. Except the D-ration was meant for emergency use during combat, not for every day nutrition.
Hacker Elites are in combat every day, fighting bugs in multi-threaded tunnels. Sometimes there's just no time to eat when you've been (agile-y) deployed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

*decides not to become an engineer so he can have sex*
*complains about engineers making lots of money*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

old dog child posted:

It looks like MRE food

at least you get delicious M&Ms with an MRE