Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Startups netted $48.3 billion total in 2014:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-16/it-s-official-startup-funding-last-year-was-biggest-since-2000.html

The ballpit industry is a growth industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
its the biggest since the year that.... uh.... everything kind of... crashed

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I want my equity shares in this startup to be paid out in Flooz and or a crate of Peanut the Royal Blue Elephant Beanie Babies

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
guys the pets dot com dog is standing in my study rattling chains and moaning portentously, should i attempt to communicate

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No, that's the lycos dog. GO GET IT!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

He demands a sacrifice of a bottle of Orbitz and 3D Doritos, without these you will surely be dragged to the level of purgatory where he dwells (brought to you by GoDaddy)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Hey remember firing poo poo through the O in Outpost.com?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
guys i just orddered some groceries on Webvan they should be here in ab 30 min.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hang on i'll invoke the ancient rites of AltaVista and send him back whence he came

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Maybe you can just pay him off with your Flooz or Beanz

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
A fell ritual involving a Free 20 Hours Of AOL CD and pushing the turbo button on an ancient workstation

naem
May 29, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

its the biggest since the year that.... uh.... everything kind of... crashed

This is the best thing, that this ALL ALREADY HAPPENED and we KNOW it is a bubble and how it will end.

Google, Apple, yahoo, weathered the last one, anyone else?? They'll be fine I'm sure. This time I bet Facebook and Twitter will remain popular for a couple years at least, probably. Facebook will exist as a company if they can keep buying smaller social media things for a decade or so.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

naem posted:

This is the best thing, that this ALL ALREADY HAPPENED and we KNOW it is a bubble and how it will end.

Google, Apple, yahoo, weathered the last one, anyone else?? They'll be fine I'm sure. This time I bet Facebook and Twitter will remain popular for a couple years at least, probably. Facebook will exist as a company if they can keep buying smaller social media things for a decade or so.

Bubbles are rarely as "unpredictable" or "sudden" as people who lose money during them claim they were afterwards.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
jesus the article even has a guy going "don't worry, investment capital can only increase!"

its like they're working off the same script from 2007 and 2000 even

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah dangit!

But this time...

naem
May 29, 2011

Facebook is fun or whatever but so was MySpace

What's the difference again? Sparkles?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
honestly even with a rudimentary understanding of markets and charts you could look at a chart like that and be able to say with a high degree of confidence that the market will correct such a spike. you'd have to be blinded by greed to keep dumping money in after such a jump and not expect a contraction.

paranoid randroid posted:

jesus the article even has a guy going "don't worry, investment capital can only increase!"

its like they're working off the same script from 2007 and 2000 even

usually people like this are shills trying to convince people to buy the stocks they are selling or use their broker or whatever. they know what they're doing: preying on people who don't know better and get caught up in the hype. either that or they're just idiots. but no one who claims certainty should be taken seriously because the first thing you learn is that nothing in economics and markets is certain

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 17, 2015

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

open container
Sep 16, 2008
so which stocks do i short?

nevermind i don't have any money

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
just a reminder that there are still tech idiots that are surprised bitcoin is unstable and not a real currency -

oil? that's nothing. have you heard what's going on with BITCOIN?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I like bitcoin as it is an easy way to buy drugs

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Good news, you can now buy almost double the drugs with the bitcoins you already have!

Please take them all at once and then post in the GBS TCC thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

just a reminder that there are still tech idiots that are surprised bitcoin is unstable and not a real currency -

oil? that's nothing. have you heard what's going on with BITCOIN?

Bitcoin even worse than rouble

also this tech billboard I saw in south bay is even funnier now:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Did they have a lot of advertisements during their Bitcoin bowl?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Local neighborhood man discovers one weird trick to avoid high SV rents:

http://www.cnet.com/news/meet-the-tireless-entrepreneur-who-squatted-at-aol/#!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Megaspel posted:

I like bitcoin as it is an easy way to buy drugs

I always wondered about posts like this in the Bitcoin threads. Then I remembered that goons are those dorks that think you have to go to "the ghetto" to get weed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you are a goon

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
And nobody hates goons like goons.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Razorwired posted:

I always wondered about posts like this in the Bitcoin threads. Then I remembered that goons are those dorks that think you have to go to "the ghetto" to get weed.

weed no, but if you're into harder drugs you generally have to deal with some fairly unsavory types to get them. you generally have to go to kinda ghetto areas to get the good poo poo at least and have a 50/50 chance of getting robbed. white boy down the hall in your dorm might slang cocaine but it's probably 90% laxative, 6% other, 4% coke.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bitcoin didn't disrupt currency since it never found widespread use except for things like drugs or tipping the Reddit Gone Wild girls.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

thathonkey posted:

weed no, but if you're into harder drugs you generally have to deal with some fairly unsavory types to get them. you generally have to go to kinda ghetto areas to get the good poo poo at least and have a 50/50 chance of getting robbed. white boy down the hall in your dorm might slang cocaine but it's probably 90% laxative, 6% other, 4% coke.

Suburbs, bro. You can buy decent coke within walking distance of a good high school in almost every American city.

Unless you're not in the US, then it could be true.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Razorwired posted:

I get my weed locally, gently caress getting stinky, bulky, weed shipped to your home with your name on it. I just get my psychedelics online because I can't find them anywhere else, plus you can check out the reviews and poo poo rather than take your dealer's word it is what it is.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

thathonkey posted:

Start making better and/or worse friends and you'll get good drug connections.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i hope elon musk dies in space brutally

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Megaspel posted:

plus you can check out the reviews and poo poo rather than take your dealer's word it is what it is.

LOL

In other news this bubble isn't gonna pop because this time it's different.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bubbles are rarely as "unpredictable" or "sudden" as people who lose money during them claim they were afterwards.
I've had quite the laugh at idiots who thought they were the smartest guy in the room, then lost their rear end in the real estate market.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

uber made $500 million in SF alone.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I bet this concept would appeal to SF techies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-_i3-ZDueE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nonsense posted:

uber made $500 million in SF alone.

Made, or raised? There's a pretty big difference.

• Locked thread