Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
Computers are actually really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

etalian posted:

basically a billionaire but shows up to meet Keira Knightly wearing crocs.

if I was a billionaire I'd do that poo poo because who's going to stop me, a literally loving billionaire, from wearing crocs to meet some actress who gives as few shits about this event as I do?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

etalian posted:

The west coast has a more non-confrontational hugs "how dare you say that" type culture.

It's sort of local culture that doesn't approve of acidic juvenalian or tell it like it is humor.

Tech culture is also hilarious since it thrives in a fuhrer bunker like information bubble.

Tech nerds have finally managed to make me a cultural pessimist. Civil discourse can only get worse. Burn down all hugboxes.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

SaltLick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLzgFkouSmc

Tech culture meets outdated instruments

This has to be a joke right? he's just slamming away and making awful noise. Beethoven slammed away and made music, and didn't look like a douche either

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Monkey Fracas posted:

I like how Craigslist still looks like a website from 1998 and I hope they never change.

What's weird is, if you look at a lot of the websites or blogs of the most talented software developers or projects, like high end stuff that takes skill to make instead of being a stupid app, such as compilers or kernels or whatever, you'll often find plaintext websites because they don't give a poo poo and don't need to use a bejeweled kit on their work

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

thathonkey posted:

oh wow i guess i havent seen many pictures of sergey. for some reason i figured he might not dress like a complete slob :doh: wearing shorts with a long sleeve shirt is almost worse than the crocs somehow

so yeah, those guys pretty much run the biggest, most popular websites in the world. i feel bad and you should too.

if i was worth billions of dollars i would also not care about wearing proper clothes

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Carol Pizzamom posted:

What's weird is, if you look at a lot of the websites or blogs of the most talented software developers or projects, like high end stuff that takes skill to make instead of being a stupid app, such as compilers or kernels or whatever, you'll often find plaintext websites because they don't give a poo poo and don't need to use a bejeweled kit on their work

The funny thing is that there's probably a lot of parallels between dressing like a slob and having a website that looks like crap. Both of them signal the same thing: that you care more about function than form.

And yet people in this thread have been relentlessly making fun of SV folks for their terrible clothing.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

oh cool ashgromnies is back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvjDtaCkacQ

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

enraged_camel posted:

The funny thing is that there's probably a lot of parallels between dressing like a slob and having a website that looks like crap. Both of them signal the same thing: that you care more about function than form.

And yet people in this thread have been relentlessly making fun of SV folks for their terrible clothing.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

but what if you dress badly and your poo poo doesn't function

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

so does anybody have a vid of this TJ Miller thing?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

i like mark ames stuff but god drat does the rest of pando loving suck

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

enraged_camel posted:

DOES NOT COMPUTE

These people dress badly because they never learned how to dress themselves and now that mommy isn't picking out clothes for them they just throw anything together. It has nothing to do with form over function, when it comes to clothes form follows function.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

opus111 posted:

so does anybody have a vid of this TJ Miller thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6jsjTVeJYk

watch the segments with TJ miller in them.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

ta

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

if i was worth billions of dollars i would also not care about wearing proper clothes

Well that makes you a manchild.

Also is there a grosser name than "elon musk" ?

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
Computers are fun

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
wait so tj miller goes on an unfunny racist and sexist rant and that's good? but sexism and racism are bad? okay

it wasn't satirical, there's nothing satirical about

quote:

“You don’t belong in Silicon Valley, we tried to make that clear with the lack of important parts for you on the show,” Miller roared at a woman who revealed she didn’t watch the show.

that's just pure misogyny, along with him yelling at an asian person who asked a question. the gently caress? i like the show but this is ~problematic~

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

thathonkey posted:

Well that makes you a manchild.

Also is there a grosser name than "elon musk" ?

mencius moldbug

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

ashgromnies posted:

wait so tj miller goes on an unfunny racist and sexist rant and that's good? but sexism and racism are bad? okay

that's just pure misogyny, along with him yelling at an asian person who asked a question. the gently caress? i like the show but this is ~problematic~

I disagree.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

You are sofa king dumb if you didn't get it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ashgromnies posted:

"you see this is why you guys are never going to be as loved as Los Angeles"

- TJ miller.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
100 years ago we'd have had you hanging upside down from a tree!!!! Ahahaha more cutting racial commentary from tj miller skewering the racist silicon valley culture

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

if I was a billionaire I'd do that poo poo because who's going to stop me, a literally loving billionaire, from wearing crocs to meet some actress who gives as few shits about this event as I do?

I would wear 10 thousand dollar suits everywhere and look down on everyone.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

mmm love that impotent internet rage

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ashgromnies posted:

100 years ago we'd have had you hanging upside down from a tree!!!! Ahahaha more cutting racial commentary from tj miller skewering the racist silicon valley culture

we're nearing critical mass here people

hey ashgromnies: technology bad

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

we're nearing critical mass here people

hey ashgromnies: technology bad

well it's kept you alive this long so it can't be all that good

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

ashgromnies posted:

I noticed this but I'm willing to give him a bit of a pass for being stoned out of his gourd. These people need to be needled more and he did just that. Yeah it made me a little uncomfortable but I'm just watching it from my mom's basement and not living it so it's OK with me.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can say whatever you want to them it won't change how they view themselves. The most they'll do is some hand-ringing over sexism and go back to being as oblivious as ever. John Oliver at the Crunchies, free of any sexism or racism, called them out for their egos, gentrifying an already stupidly expensive area and told them they weren't the types of people that people root for. They just laughed and went about their lives afterward.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

WhyteRyce posted:

You can say whatever you want to them it won't change how they view themselves. The most they'll do is some hand-ringing over sexism and go back to being as oblivious as ever. John Oliver at the Crunchies, free of any sexism or racism, called them out for their egos, gentrifying an already stupidly expensive area and told them they weren't the types of people that people root for. They just laughed and went about their lives afterward.

They hired a jester and they will treat him as such. They give a poo poo about ethics unless it has an impact on the brand value (of themselves or their company). They're loaded and the industry fetes them as masters of the universe. So why bother.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ashgromnies posted:

I didn't hear the fatbeard mcvocalfry say any of the things he said, but I have read your posts and you sound like a basic variation on a completely normal model of shithead.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
is it just absolutely impossible for people to not become at least mildly delusional about themselves and their importance once they become filthy, filthy rich?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Monkey Fracas posted:

is it just absolutely impossible for people to not become at least mildly delusional about themselves and their importance once they become filthy, filthy rich?

to be honest, I think the vast majority of us would turn into massive assfaces if we became filthy rich.

doesn't exactly help if you live in an insular, "we're disrupting the world with our app that determines your ideal date based on a QR scan of your cumshot" environment like silicon valley.

don't steal my idea

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

mysterious frankie posted:

I didn't hear the fatbeard mcvocalfry say any of the things he said, but I have read your posts and you sound like a basic variation on a completely normal model of shithead.

actually you're a basic bitch, frankie. rude.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

best part of the techcrunch TJ Miller interview was when the host unironically asks him "We here at Silicon Valley are making the world a better place, why are you making fun of us? :qq:" Like it's really hard to find a group of people with their heads further up their own asses

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ashgromnies posted:

Uhh, there's nothing wrong with being basic. It means average. But of course you don't understand that, because ashgromnies.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ashgromnies posted:

I will melt you in an iron forge irl.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fullhouse posted:

best part of the techcrunch TJ Miller interview was when the host unironically asks him "We here at Silicon Valley are making the world a better place, why are you making fun of us? :qq:" Like it's really hard to find a group of people with their heads further up their own asses

Yeah that is probably the funniest part about SV type technologists. They truly believe they are making the world a better place. It's stunning. Of course really all theyre doing is, at best, lining the pockets of already rich capitalists.

Also shut the gently caress up you idiots tj miller isnt racist or misogynist

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

This kind of poo poo is doubly hilarious to me for several reasons. I know some of these people personally as they graduated from my high school and we were all in the nerd clique. I went on to become a journalist and helped make a positive impact in a community dealing with gentrification (a story I wrote about a middle school actually got administrators reassigned and increased the district's focus on anti-violence) while they get to fellate their egos by producing apps that do jack poo poo. But they are more valued in society because of great marketing and PR.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The gently caress is a bilateral violinist? Is that just a fancy way of saying ambidextrous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Not a Children posted:

The gently caress is a bilateral violinist? Is that just a fancy way of saying ambidextrous?

probably

• Locked thread