Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"Uber's revenues in San Francisco, meanwhile, are now running at $500 million per year"

Not profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Nonsense posted:

uber made $500 million in SF alone.

and that was off of just one new years eve ride alone.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Revenue? Profit? Who cares. Uber's valuation is at 40B and that's what really matters.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

life's an adventure, man. that's why I call myself an Adventure Capitalist "flits effortlessly from one fad business with the life expectancy of a mayfly to the next, leaves burning ruins of western culture and economic systems in wake".

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate Uber with a fury, but you can't say it isn't a loving cash printing machine.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

taxis are dead jim

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

leastwise a lot of them smell that way

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Kobayashi posted:

I hate Uber with a fury, but you can't say it isn't a loving cash printing machine.

yeah uber is actually profitable as poo poo, unlike many other tech companies.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Until legislation catches up to it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ah, the end result of bay area innovation

why have a real girlfriend? this is m more efficient for busy entrepreneurs

glug down your soylent and text your fake girlfriend and then back to work

Germstore posted:

Until legislation catches up to it.

listen buddy they aren't a taxi service! just because a guy in a car drives you someplace in exchange for money that does not mean they are beholden to taxi rules!!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

no time for love; gotta eat my nutritive biscuit and start another 20 hour shift writing code in the muppet babies nursery.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*glances at computer screen running Girlfriend.exe* on company time? nanny's not gonna like this...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

choose her age

choose her age

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

This can only come out of the Valley. No women and lots of nerds with bad ideas.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
"yeah right now im doing social media management for peoples imaginary girlfriends. can i get you another drink?"

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Do they just grab random Facebook profile pics for the girlfriends? That would be funny.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

midnightclimax posted:

Do they just grab random Facebook profile pics for the girlfriends? That would be funny.

information is free

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
i'm trying to really elucidate what i don't like about silicon valley but i can't find the words

just an endless stream of useless ideas and cute apps that don't amount to too much usually coupled with this smug sense of superiority about it

an app that lets you say "yo" to people

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

ah, the end result of bay area innovation

why have a real girlfriend? this is m more efficient for busy entrepreneurs

glug down your soylent and text your fake girlfriend and then back to work

sincx posted:

This can only come out of the Valley. No women and lots of nerds with bad ideas.

lol

you guys realize that the idea is hardly new, right?

neither is it just for idiot nerds

http://rentafriend.com/

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

FrozenVent posted:

LOL

In other news this bubble isn't gonna pop because this time it's different.

like I care nerd, I got drugs

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

lol

you guys realize that the idea is hardly new, right?

neither is it just for idiot nerds

http://rentafriend.com/

Also apparently it comes out of St. Louis, not that that makes it any less fucktarded.

naem
May 29, 2011

As long as you're paying already, I mean,

naem
May 29, 2011

Like perhaps they could offer additional services, y'know,

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

midnightclimax posted:

I feel like the whole "photos" part of the service is forgetting it's gonna start looking weird when you have a bunch of photos of your "girlfriend", but no photos of you with your "girlfriend".

And then people are gonna start thinking you took all these pictures with a telephoto lens and have hardcopies set up in a shrine in your basement somewhere.

Because face it, if you're using that service, you're probably the type of person who would do that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is it wrong to want a Black Mirror episode on startup culture?

also lmao

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

etalian posted:

Is it wrong to want a Black Mirror episode on startup culture?

also lmao

"Give us stuff for free so we can profit off it."

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Disrupting the "my girlfriend goes to school in Canada, you've probably never met her," industry.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Women sense my power and they seek the life essence... I do deny them my essence.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

i'm trying to really elucidate what i don't like about silicon valley but i can't find the words

just an endless stream of useless ideas and cute apps that don't amount to too much usually coupled with this smug sense of superiority about it

an app that lets you say "yo" to people

Rich kids with collective messiah complex contributing less real work than a high school janitor?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

seems like a decent service for people who get tired of their aunts asking them why they aren't married yet at other peoples' weddings and christmas parties and such, but it's not like you can't just lie and be like "oh yeah I'm dating this guy but he had to save some people from dying today because he is a heart surgeon" already

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

seems like a decent service for people who get tired of their aunts asking them why they aren't married yet at other peoples' weddings and christmas parties and such, but it's not like you can't just lie and be like "oh yeah I'm dating this guy but he had to save some people from dying today because he is a heart surgeon" already

also the service doesn't include fake sexting

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

because when you end up not marrying said imaginary heart surgeon, relatives will be like "wow you were dating a heart surgeon and failed to put a ring on him, you could be living in a huge house now and driving nice cars instead of this 1984 civic"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Germstore posted:

Disrupting the "my girlfriend goes to school in Canada, you've probably never met her," industry.

it's disgusting how they're taking jobs away from hard-working canadian girlfriends

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

nm

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Fullhouse posted:

or you could just do what normal people do and roll your eyes at your aunt, instead of creating an elaborate and incredibly sad web of lies

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695009 posted:

Dave Asprey, founder of The Bulletproof Executive, is a Silicon Valley investor and technology entrepreneur who spent 15 years and over $300,000 to hack his own biology. Dave lost 100 pounds without counting calories or excessive exercise, used techniques to upgrade his brain by more than 20 IQ points, and lowered his biological age while learning to sleep more efficiently in less time.

Gonna upgrade my iq by drinking lots of 'magic' coffee!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
god i hate the word "hack" so much now. it was much better when it just meant "breaking into a computer system you shouldn't have access to"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

thathonkey posted:

god i hate the word "hack" so much now. it was much better when it just meant "breaking into a computer system you shouldn't have access to"

Cyber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

lol hoping this has been abused

• Locked thread