Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

i concur

there should be automatic sensors that dim headlights when oncoming headlights are sensed

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I wear my sunglasses at night so I can - so I can see the road

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

ok

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Next time I see you I'm going to high intensity discharge right in your face, OP.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

did they change the font again

Clean your monitor.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

i concur

there should be automatic sensors that dim headlights when oncoming headlights are sensed

What sucks is when you flash your beams to try to get them to turn theirs off, and then suddenly your retnas are fried when they flash their actual high beams back at you. I have 2 5 mile stretches of road and highway on the way to work, perfectly level and straight. High beams on new cars are like lasers and it's not a "just glance to the side" thing, as you are likely to plow into a mule deer, elk or moose.

I have HIR1 bulbs in my high beams, 2500 lumens vs stock 1700. It's pretty sweet.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FogHelmut posted:

I have HIR1 bulbs in my high beams, 2500 lumens vs stock 1700. It's pretty sweet.

Ok, how many posters here know their "lumens" in their ride?
Jfc

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

OP "I'm such a pussy that car headlights hurt me. Let me complain to the Internet about it."

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Counterpoint - headlights are not too bright

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Really its just Ford HIDs and Acura LEDs that are the worst. The rest are jackasses who poorly modified their headlights, and idiots who are actually driving around with their high beams on all the time.

The other worst is Toyota LED brake lights. Way too bright.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Why do people leave their car's fog lights on when it's not foggy? They don't do anything. They don't even do anything in fog. They're just there to blind oncoming traffic

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuturePastNow posted:

Why do people leave their car's fog lights on when it's not foggy? They don't do anything. They don't even do anything in fog. They're just there to blind oncoming traffic

They are driving lights, for visibility. They are required in Canada im told

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

because my truck looks cooler with 4 lights on than 2, also gently caress you thats why

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
has google fixed this problem yet?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Not as bad as the people who drive through the city without their lights on at night.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"fog lights" that come stock with cars dont actually project light in a way that would be meaningful in fog, and are useless anyway due to the regular headlights being on at the same time. they put a lot of brightess on the ground close up in front of the car which harms your distance vision. a true fog light has a low wide pattern that illuminates road edges in heavy fog low driving speed situations.

they are simply there for:

satanic splash-back posted:

because my truck looks cooler with 4 lights on than 2, also gently caress you thats why

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
can we just all agree that women and third world immigrants are the worst drivers?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Also you make the fog lights kewl colors like red or green or something to show off your ~individuality~

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Also you make the fog lights kewl colors like red or green or something to show off your ~individuality~

i wish congress would just make fog illegal already

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TOILETLORD posted:

can we just all agree that women and third world immigrants are the worst drivers?

actually its people who consider themselves enthusiasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miA5qj5ergM

open container
Sep 16, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

how do you even do that?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
hey what about the recent trend to loving reassign reverse lights to meaning the vehicle is on and in park. thats obnoxious.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Moridin920 posted:

yo whatup yo I'm raising my truck so the lights are right in line with your rearview and also I'm getting the ULTRA BRIGHT headlights it'll be like having my brights on all the time LOL BRO

I had this exact thing happen last week to me. The lights were so bright that I could have turned off my headlights and still be able to see the road.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Gaunab posted:

I had this exact thing happen last week to me. The lights were so bright that I could have turned off my headlights and still be able to see the road.

sounds like a helpful samaritan to me.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I had an rear end in a top hat behind me the other morning on the way to work. It was approximately 6am and still very dark outside. This guy had one of the headlights on his piece of poo poo Pontiac misaligned, so that it was aiming way higher than it should be.

The left headlight was fine, not blinding me from my mirrors. But the right headlight was way brighter than you could possible imagine, just blinding me like crazy. I slowed down, changed lanes, did everything I could to get this rear end in a top hat to go around me. He stayed right behind me up until I took my exit and he carried on to wherever the gently caress.

gently caress you assholes who have misaligned headlights. To check this, pull up close to wall/garage door at night with your lights on. If one of them is aiming significantly higher than the other, you're probably blinding everyone you encounter at night, both oncoming and cars going the same way, ahead of you. It is seriously unsafe and gently caress these people.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Ferroque posted:

nighttime driving is impossible. i'll be driving along some winding back road, minding my own business, about to crest a hill and then BAM my eyeballs get fried by blindingly pure white, or worse, BLUe light and then i spend 3 seconds of pure terror completely unable to see anything

dont even get me started on what to do if this kind of guy is behind you - hope you don't need to use any of your mirrors!

imo there should be regulations on this sort of thing.

holy poo poo is this ever true. I was contemplating making this very thread. I live in the country and headlights seem to just be getting brighter and brighter, even when people do me the courtesy of flipping off their high beams when coming towards me its still too loving bright and i basically have to stare at the side of the road and hope nothing is in front of me in my lane.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I agree with your old man take, OP.

Additionally, I find people turn off their brights way slower than they used to back in my day, and people behind me and on the highway are more likely to use their brights than in the glorious past.

I blame cell phones and millenials.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

1gnoirents posted:

I know this is shocking, but dont look at the light like a moth . amazingly, you can suddenly still see the road. I promise, try it, it works every time. if the light blooms on your whole windshield its because you have a disgusting windshield that you should clean like maybe once a month you SLOB

the only legit complaint is rear view and side view mirrors so you actually have to look at those, but here's my ultra secret :

tint

Sometimes people drive to places that are an hour away or over mountain passes with wet dirty conditions and their windshield could get dirty in the first 5 seconds of a trip when a truck pulls in front of them.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Ramsus posted:

Sometimes people drive to places that are an hour away or over mountain passes with wet dirty conditions and their windshield could get dirty in the first 5 seconds of a trip when a truck pulls in front of them.
I live in the midwest wasteland and driving to work at night during the seasonal freezing fog is pretty cool, the new totally safer higher, brighter lo-beams sure dont help people see further but if theres multiple sources of light they make vision turn from bad to impossible

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

what a strange trick

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clipperton posted:

the future has you covered op, skip to 1:00 for some scifi poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvK5WC4ns0

this is a bunch of bullshit maybe one day the future will actually be here instead of some concept vid at a retarded showcase

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
You're supposed to adjust your headlights to a lower setting when you see another car in front of you and back up when there's nobody ahead.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 19, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

burritolingus posted:

You're supposed to adjust your headlights to a lower setting when you see another car in front of you and back up when there's nobody ahead.

Is this common knowledge these days?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the blue light on the dash means the headlights are on, right

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

The obvious solution is to bring a laser pointer with you every time you night drive, and then you can counterblind people. They want to get your license plate? Good luck seeing it when they've got a laser shining in their eyes.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Yeah headlights are way too bright, I like being in the dark when driving but then someone who's driving toward me has bright rear end lights that shine in my face, then I think they see my goony face and are judging me so I have to pull over and calm down so I don't have a panic attack, every time

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Brighter lights make your teenage daughter a safer driver.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

It bugs me but I'm pretty sure that's because I am the only person with a regular car in my podunk town. Every other motherfucker has some sort of enormous truck with the lights right in my field of vision front and back. My next vehicle is going to be a big fuckoff truck with super bright lights just to put me on a level playing field here.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wear yellow goggles when driving at night. Hashtag hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

Is this common knowledge these days?

gently caress no it isn't if Albuquerque is any indication, driving at night here now is like everyone driving around with their brights on 10 years ago

I drive a Hyundai Elantra and not a 7 foot tall truck, too, so it's nice when I'm hanging out in the ghetto and don't have "standard" brights in my rearview when I am driving like in 50% of the rest of the city.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread