Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
dude thats a pretty big spoiler, i'm reading the book too and i hadn't got that far. I think you should delete that, in all fairness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

slomomofo posted:

Thanks - that's good to know if Amazon doesn't follow through on the remake.

It looks like Netflix canada has all of the original, and it's fairly short (The last 'season' is only 2 episodes, the first one is 4).

Anyway, in an interview with Sepinwall Shawn Ryan has basically confirmed that it's going to diverge quite a lot from the original. You can definitely see what he means when he says that Chris Cole (The original and remake writer) felt like he was only going to get 4 episodes so just went all out. The remake has a lot of time to breath before poo poo hits the fan. They also presented a complete season bible to Amazon, and a rough idea for more if they want to do it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

dude thats a pretty big spoiler, i'm reading the book too and i hadn't got that far. I think you should delete that, in all fairness.

My apologies. I've marked it as a book spoiler. That being said - more book spoiler: I'd argue that the first episode spoiled a ton of the book already. The secret identities of two of the main characters for one, who aren't revealed until later in the book. Also the concept of "The Grasshopper Lies Heavy" film being our universe, I think, is pretty clearly shown when you see the footage of the swastika being topped from a building. Until then I thought that the creator just made a fan edit of war footage, but that brief clip threw me for a loop. That would seem to indicate that it's our universe; they already made a fake clip of an old Hitler, after all. In other words the whole idea of 'is the universe in the book something that isn't a parallel universe but just a book that the characters exist in' is already spoiled.

Also is the use of Edelweiss actually not a Nazi thing per se, it was used in the Sound of Music as an anti-Nazi song.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The story was written in 1962, if you don't already know the ending to a 50-year-old story then it is your own fault.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

withak posted:

The story was written in 1962, if you don't already know the ending to a 50-year-old story then it is your own fault.

Can you expand on how this works, because I don't think I actually know the plot turns to every story ever produced that I might like to read, and I am not sure when that was supposed to happen?? Should it have seeped into my amniotic fluid by cultural osmosis. Or do narrative twists expire in potency like medication or old assault charges

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

GimpChimp posted:

Can you expand on how this works, because I don't think I actually know the plot turns to every story ever produced that I might like to read, and I am not sure when that was supposed to happen?? Should it have seeped into my amniotic fluid by cultural osmosis. Or do narrative twists expire in potency like medication or old assault charges

Bro, if you don't know the plot of every book written by the day you're born, there's no hope for you.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You don't need to know every plot, just be prepared to possibly have your virgin brain violated by people talking about their favorite decades-old book on the Internet.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

withak posted:

You don't need to know every plot, just be prepared to possibly have your virgin brain violated by people talking about their favorite decades-old book on the Internet.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect those people to refrain from spoiling a decades old book in a thread meant to discuss the brand new television show based on said book, particularly when The Book Barn exists.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect those people to refrain from spoiling a decades old book in a thread meant to discuss the brand new television show based on said book, particularly when The Book Barn exists.

If you read something in spoiler tags and complain about being spoiled welp

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look it was me who complained, and i didn't crack it, i just said it should be deleted. Your man tagged it as a book spoiler, and all is well in the world.
Not everyone grew up with a bookshelf and no TV. This isn't even the thread for the show, so it's not unrealistic that someone would spoiler stuff from the pilot.

No dramas, just consideration for all and such.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm not familiar with Amazon's ways, how soon should we expect to hear about what's getting picked up?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm not familiar with Amazon's ways, how soon should we expect to hear about what's getting picked up?

Came here to ask this. I'd assume they didn't make more episodes to release instantly upon the pilot's selection.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Came here to ask this. I'd assume they didn't make more episodes to release instantly upon the pilot's selection.

Whatever they do pick up, it will be 10-12 months before the series hits prime. Bosch got picked up last March I think and first season is released today

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Today was the day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Woo! More American Nazis! :ghitler:

Gaz-L