Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
becyase it helps fill in the blanks of where they came from, etc. how many times do you say stuff like "oh yeah b lue eyes run in my family" or "yeah im a 32nd cherokee" or "im big into music because my granddad was" or "my bad posts are genetic"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
yeah but not knowing where you came from let's you cultivate a certain mystique that drives the ladies wild

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
in all honesty its probably cuz they hope their parents are rich and guilty

like obv its not worth it to go find someone who had the chance to raise you and decided not to but if theres some :tenbux: in it for you then you can put up with some lovely snobby rich people for a couple days

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
also its p common for lots of kids, during their teenage years, to feel angry or disconnected from their parents. and for adopted children, they sometimes think that they would "connect" better or "belong" more with their biological parents

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Redkist posted:

Why do they always have one eye

man if you want to be edgy you can't just completely make things up!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
in the past, it society encouraged adoptive parents to not talk about adoption with their children, and keep it a secret to a certain extent. We know now that this does much more harm than good. Adoption is not a shameful thing and there is no reason to not talk about it. open and frank communication with your children is always a good thing.

if at all possible, it is preferable to maintain contact between the child and the biological family. A child's biological family is very important, and these ties should not be severed unless absolutely necessary. This is especially true in cases where the adopted child is older than an infant.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
but children are morons? they dont understand anyways what a waste of time

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

alternatively the kid could stop being a soft rear end bitch and appreciate that he has family that loves and cares for him unconditionally

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

"I'm only the biological father." -- my biological father

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Bolow posted:

alternatively the kid could stop being a soft rear end bitch and appreciate that he has family that loves and cares for him unconditionally

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

a starwar betamax posted:

also its p common for lots of kids, during their teenage years, to feel angry or disconnected from their parents. and for adopted children, they sometimes think that they would "connect" better or "belong" more with their biological parents

this is the best reasoning and i hope some kids actually rationalize it like this and then realize years later how stupid and illogical it is

"hrmmmm i have two sets of parents, one of which created me by putting a dingdong into a hoohoo and then making GBS threads me out months later (cost: 0 dollars) and deciding that, ehhhhh babies arent so cool, and leaving me to be taken care of by someone else.

the other parents paid thousands of dollars to legally adopt me, took me into their home despite no blood connection, raised and fed me for years spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on me and put up with my stupid bullshit whining about how they arent as cool as my jetpack marine biodad and smoking hot biomom

yeah i sure as poo poo know who i would connect with better, bio parents it is!"

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

JiveHonky posted:

but children are morons? they dont understand anyways what a waste of time

yeah kids dont think about things rationally all the times it is almost as if they are ........................children!

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

yeah kids dont think about things rationally all the times it is almost as if they are ........................children!

hosed up if true

glad i wasnt like that as a kid

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
wc feilds knew how to deal with kids. you just tell them to get away and that they bother you. then you drink lots and get a gin blossom nose

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

this is the best reasoning and i hope some kids actually rationalize it like this and then realize years later how stupid and illogical it is

"hrmmmm i have two sets of parents, one of which created me by putting a dingdong into a hoohoo and then making GBS threads me out months later (cost: 0 dollars) and deciding that, ehhhhh babies arent so cool, and leaving me to be taken care of by someone else.

the other parents paid thousands of dollars to legally adopt me, took me into their home despite no blood connection, raised and fed me for years spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on me and put up with my stupid bullshit whining about how they arent as cool as my jetpack marine biodad and smoking hot biomom

yeah i sure as poo poo know who i would connect with better, bio parents it is!"

yeah.

this whole thing gets even more complicated though when its kids who have been adopted later in their childhood after being back and forth in foster care in their early years. for them, they often have a very good picture of what their bio parents are like..... but they still often feel a strong affinity for them.

Its never an easy question to answer and there is rarly a perfect solution. your dealing with a tragic and broken situation, so youve gotta be pragmatic.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol if your birth didn't cost 25k

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Lol if your birth didn't cost 25k

lol if it did, because it means your parents were poor and didnt have insurance

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

im adopted and i havent really made any effort but im also a pretty big hopeless loser irl

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
also if you adopt through the foster care system the cost of the adoption is totaly covered by the state

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i hide it wel

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
there are over 100k children awaiting adoption in the foster care system

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Trying to find the thing missing from their lives that has left them feeling hollow and unfilfilled inside, not realizing that that is not any tangible lack but rather the inescapable human condition, OP

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

also if you adopt through the foster care system the cost of the adoption is totaly covered by the state

absolutely not true in many states

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i had some info it said my dad was romanian and an artist so i guess my dad was a legit human being suck it nerds

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

lonesomedwarf posted:

i had some info it said my dad was romanian and an artist so i guess my dad was a legit human being suck it nerds

well we all knew you had to have gotten it from somewhere

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

drat seriously? Cause there's no loving way all those kids are gonna get adopted.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a roommate who was a garbage baby, couldn't stand him.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

What are the odds of getting a young baby? This might be cruel, but I wouldn't want to raise a kid who was a basketcase from years of being a ward of the state.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

absolutely not true in many states

Oh, i was told it was federal. but i might be wrong. I know in Texas and Missouri at least the legal fees for the adoption are covered.

this is specifically for foster adoption. Adopting through a private agency is very expensive.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

boom boom boom posted:

drat seriously? Cause there's no loving way all those kids are gonna get adopted.

yeah. the majority of them are older kids who will age out of the system

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

well we all knew you had to have gotten it from somewhere

um, wow. thought this was a safe place to share and real talk....... didndt expect this from the commnuity here tbh...............

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm adopted, AMA

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

yeah. the majority of them are older kids who will age out of the system

They should run away and make their own society like in Peter Pan

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

The Gay Bean posted:

What are the odds of getting a young baby? This might be cruel, but I wouldn't want to raise a kid who was a basketcase from years of being a ward of the state.

very, very slim.

and yes, a lot of the kids have very serious problems.

choosing to adopt and raise a child who has endured the foster system and and problems or abuse before that is not a small decision.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

lol if it did, because it means your parents were poor and didnt have insurance

I was also 2 months premature and had to live in the hyperbolic time chamber for a week

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

it must've been pretty cool that you came out of the hospital at 7 years old though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

choosing to adopt and raise a child who has endured the foster system and and problems or abuse before that is not a smart decision.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I was also 2 months premature and had to live in the hyperbolic time chamber for a week

but what level super saiyan can you become now

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

its almost as if some people choose to live their lives for other instead of for themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponfed
Oct 20, 2009
But seriously though, is it really the case that most adopted children try to find their biological parents?

Cause it always seemed to me that it was a tired trope for easy emotional manipulation in Hallmark movies.

I mean, I'm sure a significant portion of adopted kids do try, but do we have any hard stats on that?

• Locked thread