Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Man, all this negative talk about The Imitation Game, but... I had a very good time watching it.
There's stuff wrong with it, and it shouldn't have been nominated, but I liked Cumberbatch' performance.
No idea why it was deemed Oscar-worthy, but I'm alright with it (not winning).

Shame Keaton didn't win it. That was a performance that will stick with me for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the difference between Sound Mixing and Sound Editing? And the difference between Cinematography and Film Editing?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

What's the difference between Sound Mixing and Sound Editing? And the difference between Cinematography and Film Editing?

Sound editing is making sounds, like creating a really good snap when glass is broken. Sound mixing is blending them in all together so that the glass breaking is the right volume with the rest of the audio.

Cinematography is making choices in shooting the film like framing and lighting, film editing is making choices with how to put the already-shot footage together.

I think.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

messagemode1 posted:

Sound mixing is blending them in all together so that the glass breaking is the right volume with the rest of the audio.

Also mastering, I think, so adjusting and filtering frequencies and poo poo so everything sounds as good as possible, making room for dialogue in the music by adjusting overlapping frequencies and so on, which is very delicate work.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Sound mixing is the thing that's done at a baseline level of competence in every studio movie that it sorta disappears into the backgrounds, except in Chris Nolan movies where it's terrible and makes it difficult to hear dialogue and it gets nominated for sound mixing Oscars anyway.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jonny Angel posted:

Sound mixing is the thing that's done at a baseline level of competence in every studio movie that it sorta disappears into the backgrounds, except in Chris Nolan movies where it's terrible and makes it difficult to hear dialogue and it gets nominated for sound mixing Oscars anyway.

I was just going to mention Nolan. His big budget movies sound so lovely! Inception just barely passed muster but the second and third Dark Knight movies are bad, and Interstellar just plain awful.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Jonny Angel posted:

I think this was a stylistic choice. Nolan said in interviews that he wanted some of the dialogue to be drowned out. I guess he felt it gave the movie a more realistic feel. What really ruined the sound of this movie for me was the score. I usually love a Hans Zimmer score, but this one was really distracting.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Namirsolo posted:

I think this was a stylistic choice. Nolan said in interviews that he wanted some of the dialogue to be drowned out. I guess he felt it gave the movie a more realistic feel. What really ruined the sound of this movie for me was the score. I usually love a Hans Zimmer score, but this one was really distracting.

Nolan is flat out stupid then. Do you have a source?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I disagree because sitting in an imax having the room shaken by organs and rocketships is pretty awesome.

e: This is also the same film that has raindrops serenade Saturn. It was a great work of sound.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Trump posted:

Nolan is flat out stupid then. Do you have a source?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/christopher-nolan-breaks-silence-interstellar-749465

I can't say that I agree with him, because I found this style really annoying when Michael Caine dies and you can't hear his last words.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Namirsolo posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/christopher-nolan-breaks-silence-interstellar-749465

I can't say that I agree with him, because I found this style really annoying when Michael Caine dies and you can't hear his last words.

I remember this more being a case of him mumbling his lines rather than the sound mix getting in the way.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Oscars for sound mixing are interesting, because I feel like mixing a film for theatrical release is only half the battle of a sound mixer. Mixing and mastering for home video seems like it would arguably tougher. When you're mixing for the theater, you know that pretty much all theaters will have professional quality, multi-channel systems (though the size, quality, and exact number of channels will vary drastically), but making that same mix sound competent on someone's lovely built-in TV speakers seems like a bigger challenge to me.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Slate Action posted:

I remember this more being a case of him mumbling his lines rather than the sound mix getting in the way.

If I recall correctly, it was intercut with a space scene that was incredibly loud and the soundtrack of that scene was also overlapping it. It's mentioned in the article I linked as an example.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Namirsolo posted:

I wish I could watch the original sound mix for Dark Knight Rises.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You people have bad hearing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

You people have bad hearing.

It would be better if Nolan wasn't trying to ruin it with blaring music.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I thought Interstellar was really dumb and it made me tired of the entire Nolan style.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I thought Interstellar was really dumb and it made me tired of the entire Nolan style.

I've never liked Nolan but interstellar is easily his worst.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I wish I could watch the original sound mix for Dark Knight Rises.

It was in the IMAX preview. You couldn't hear anything Bane said (seriously, no one in the theater could understand anything he said). That was one case where Nolan listened to people and changed things.

edit: it was because Bane's voice, muffled through the mask, cut out too much in a certain range and made his voice blend in with any ambient lows.

For the other movies, it depends largely on theater and sound setup. For TDK, I went to a theater with blown speakers on first viewing that provided some muddy bass that overshadowed everything, and you couldn't hear the dialogue. I saw it again, and understood everything perfectly (and of course can on my home system, which is balanced correctly). I saw the rest of his movies on Imax and had no problems at all hearing anything. So, Nolan style sound mixing only works with the correct setup, probably, which he kind of does on purpose, for better or worse.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I agree. If he could fix his lovely sound and tone down the intercutting a bit I might be back on board, since I think he generally has some cool ideas. Inception actually warranted the back-and-forth structure, but it's so hammy everywhere else. I actually sort of dug his version of Insomnia, and I'd be interested in seeing Nolan make something more reserved like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darko posted:

It was in the IMAX preview. You couldn't hear anything Bane said (seriously, no one in the theater could understand anything he said). That was one case where Nolan listened to people and changed things.

edit: it was because Bane's voice, muffled through the mask, cut out too much in a certain range and made his voice blend in with any ambient lows.

For the other movies, it depends largely on theater and sound setup. For TDK, I went to a theater with blown speakers on first viewing that provided some muddy bass that overshadowed everything, and you couldn't hear the dialogue. I saw it again, and understood everything perfectly (and of course can on my home system, which is balanced correctly). I saw the rest of his movies on Imax and had no problems at all hearing anything. So, Nolan style sound mixing only works with the correct setup, probably, which he kind of does on purpose, for better or worse.

Yeh but I mean I'd still personally like to hear it and see how it affects the mood of those scenes. Bane not being mixed in with the rest of the audio at all totally changed how his scenes felt and I'm pretty sure they just re-recorded most of his lines so the delivery is different.

• Locked thread