Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If people have videos or insider knowledge or cool Oscar trivia that would be great, I doubt we can all talk about how much we hate the Oscars for too long just like every year.

Your nominations:

Best Picture
American Sniper
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash

Best Director
Alexandro G. Iñárritu, Birdman
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Bennett Miller, Foxcatcher
Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Morten Tyldum, The Imitation Game

Best Actor
Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
Bradley Cooper, American Sniper
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
Michael Keaton, Birdman
Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard, Two Days One Night
Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon, Wild

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall, The Judge
Ethan Hawke, Boyhood
Edward Norton, Birdman
Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons, Whiplash

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Laura Dern, Wild
Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game
Emma Stone, Birdman
Meryl Streep, Into the Woods

Best Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki, Birdman
Robert Yeoman, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski, Ida
Dick Pope, Mr. Turner
Roger Deakins, Unbroken

Best Foreign Language Film
Ida, Poland
Leviathan, Russia
Tangerines, Estonia
Timbuktu, Mauritania
Wild Tales, Argentina

Best Adapted Screenplay
American Sniper, Jason Hall
The Imitation Game, Graham Moore
Inherent Vice, Paul Thomas Anderson
The Theory of Everything, Anthony McCarten
Whiplash, Damien Chazelle

Best Original Screenplay
Birdman, Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr. & Armando Bo
Boyhood, Richard Linklater
Foxcatcher, E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman
The Grand Budapest Hotel, Wes Anderson & Hugo Guinness
Nightcrawler, Dan Gilroy

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Bill Corso and Dennis Liddiard, Foxcatcher
Frances Hannon and Mark Coulier, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Elizabeth Yianni-Georgiou and David White, Guardians of the Galaxy

Best Original Score
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Mr. Turner
The Theory of Everything

Best Original Song
“Everything Is Awesome” from The Lego Movie; Music and Lyric by Shawn Patterson
“Glory” from Selma; Music and Lyric by John Stephens and Lonnie Lynn
“Grateful” from Beyond the Lights; Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
“I’m Not Gonna Miss You” from Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me; Music and Lyric by Glen Campbell and Julian Raymond
“Lost Stars” from Begin Again; Music and Lyric by Gregg Alexander and Danielle Brisebois

Best Animated Feature
Big Hero 6
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Song of the Sea
The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Best Documentary—Short
Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1
Joanna
Our Curse
The Reaper
White Earth

Best Film Editing
Joel Cox and Gary D. Roach, American Sniper
Sandra Adair, Boyhood
Barney Pilling, The Grand Budapest Hotel
William Goldenberg, The Imitation Game
Tom Cross, Whiplash

Best Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel, Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
The Imitation Game, Production Design: Maria Djurkovic; Set Decoration: Tatiana Macdonald
Interstellar, Production Design: Nathan Crowley; Set Decoration: Gary Fettis
Into the Woods, Production Design: Dennis Gassner; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
Mr. Turner, Production Design: Suzie Davies; Set Decoration: Charlotte Watts

Best Animated Short
The Bigger Picture
The Dam Keeper
Feast
Me and My Moulton
A Single Life

Best Live Action Short
Aya
Boogaloo and Graham
Butter Lamp
Parvaneh
The Phone Call

Best Sound Editing
American Sniper, Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman
Birdman, Martín Hernández and Aaron Glascock
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Brent Burge and Jason Canovas
Interstellar, Richard King
Unbroken, Becky Sullivan and Andrew DeCristofaro

Best Sound Mixing
American Sniper, John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Walt Martin
Birdman, Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño and Thomas Varga
Interstellar, Gary A. Rizzo, Gregg Landaker and Mark Weingarten
Unbroken, Jon Taylor, Frank A. Montaño and David Lee
Whiplash, Craig Mann, Ben Wilkins and Thomas Curley

Best Visual Effects
Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Bryan Grill and Dan Sudick
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett and Erik Winquist
Guardians of the Galaxy, Stephane Ceretti, Nicolas Aithadi, Jonathan Fawkner and Paul Corbould
Interstellar, Paul Franklin, Andrew Lockley, Ian Hunter and Scott Fisher
X-Men: Days of Future Past, Richard Stammers, Lou Pecora, Tim Crosbie and Cameron Waldbauer

Best Documentary — Feature
Citizenfour
Finding Vivien Maier
Last Days of Vietnam
The Salt of the Earth
Virunga

Best Costume Design
Milena Canonero, The Grand Budapest Hotel
Mark Bridges, Inherent Vice
Colleen Atwood, Into the Woods
Anna B. Sheppard and Jane Clive, Maleficent
Jacqueline Durran, Mr. Turner

Notable Snubs
Selma (Best Director and Actor)
The Lego Movie (Animated Feature)
Jennifer Aniston, Cake
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I bet the white guy wins.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Selma getting snubbed hardcore seems to be getting a lot of talk. No reason to not nominate Ava DuVernay for best director when the movie has a best picture nomination. Hollywood (and society in general), really likes to erase the work that people of color do, even more so if it comes from a woman.

My probably unpopular opinions are Birdman for best picture, Michael Keaton for Birdman, Rosamund Pike for Gone Girl because she kills Neil Patrick Harris in it, Emma Stone for Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel for best Screenplay because I get a hard-on for Wes Anderson films, Interstellar for visual effects, and Big Hero 6 for best animated film (seriously tho, where's Lego Movie??? It would have to be a coin toss for me to decide between the two). I don't care about the rest.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Selma getting snubbed hardcore seems to be getting a lot of talk. No reason to not nominate Ava DuVernay for best director when the movie has a best picture nomination. Hollywood (and society in general), really likes to erase the work that people of color do, even more so if it comes from a woman.

My probably unpopular opinions are Birdman for best picture, Michael Keaton for Birdman, Rosamund Pike for Gone Girl because she kills Neil Patrick Harris in it, Emma Stone for Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel for best Screenplay because I get a hard-on for Wes Anderson films, Interstellar for visual effects, and Big Hero 6 for best animated film (seriously tho, where's Lego Movie??? It would have to be a coin toss for me to decide between the two). I don't care about the rest.

If the Oscars were still doing five noms for Best Picture I doubt Selma would have gotten in on account of its portrayal of LBJ apparently being the opposite of the truth, according to historians.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Frank's I Love You All should have been a winner for Best song.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Really glad Cotillard got a nomination, and cinematography for Ida was a nice surprise -- that thing's beautiful. Virunga for best doc is really nice to see, it's great and more people need to catch it. The rest is so ehhhhhhhhh though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If the Oscars were still doing five noms for Best Picture I doubt Selma would have gotten in on account of its portrayal of LBJ apparently being the opposite of the truth, according to historians.

I haven't seen it, but isn't Imitation Game also very loose with historical accuracy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of bizarre that Grand Budapest got nominated for so much but nothing for either of the leads.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I said come in! posted:

Maybe Selma is a bad movie? I haven't seen it yet. And as others said, isn't really inaccurate in regards to Lyndon Johnson and his support?

Plus 12 Years A Slave won best picture last year so not sure where youre getting this "HOLLYWOOD HATES BLACK PEOPLE".

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8PwzBGpEbY

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe Selma is a bad movie? I haven't seen it yet. And as others said, isn't really inaccurate in regards to Lyndon Johnson and his support?

Plus 12 Years A Slave won best picture last year so not sure where youre getting this "HOLLYWOOD HATES BLACK PEOPLE".

I personally enjoyed Selma, it's a very Christian movie though (as in spiritual and explicitly Christian).

It's also less inaccurate than Lincoln at least, in that they actually bothered to include LBJ in the film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Selma is way, way better than the Turing or Hawking biopics.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
No Timothy Spall for Mr Turner makes me annoyed. :mad:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Murray will never get that oscar, eh? :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Hollywood threw a well known black director (one of the few who has been given a super rare opportunity) a bone doesn't erase the trend that Hollywood is pretty decidedly racist.

Granted 12 years a slave is an amazing film and deserved best picture, but there is still a long ways to go in Hollywood being better at recognizing the work of people of color in the industry. As it is right now it is still a white dominated industry. The nominations this year prove that.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 16, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Generally the Academy Awards like to reward progressive films to the point that they could be said to pat themselves on the back with obviously underwhelming nominations and wins (Crash). Behind the scenes there is as much or more backwardness as any major industry.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
Between Prisoners getting snubbed last year and Nightcrawler now I'm beyond done with giving any credibility to the Oscars.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

This, exactly. Plus, it wasn't even that long since the last Best Picture winner before 12 Years that had a black director, which was __________.* Additionally, we have a black president, so I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that the American political system has lingering hostility towards African-Americans.

* It does not exist

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Again, the idea that these films only exist to assuage white guilt is perhaps the most hilariously racist part of the whole affair, as if they have no merit otherwise as art.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Selma loving owns and does way more interesting things with its directing than like any prestige biopic I've seen in years.

To HUNDU's point, I'm reminded of an interview with Ryan Coolger (Fruitvale Station) wherein he pointed out that even when films by directors of color get praised, discussion tends to focus on content rather than form - so we can talk about the story of Oscar Grant III and what it says about race relations, but not so much about the stylistic choices that Coogler felt were paramount to telling that story. His analysis rings true in terms of Selma: it's a biopic about MLK, so it's a serious and important enough to receive accolades, but there's no reason to commend DuVernay for the masterful work she did on the Edmund Pettus bridge sequences.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Exactly. It's always done in this incredibly backhanded "credit to your race" kind of way, too.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

I saw American Sniper being average at best, so I'm surprised to see frequent nominations. And no Lego Movie? Oh man...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gone Girl got shafted pretty badly, too. I haven't seen The Theory of Everything but with as blatant an Oscar grab as it was, I can't imagine Gone Girl or Interstellar didn't deserve at least a nod over it.
And Trent Reznor getting snubbed for the soundtrack too. Don't get me wrong, I liked Zimmer's work for Interstellar but anyone who doesn't think he was aping the poo poo out of Philip Glass is deluded.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just sticking to Fincher I'm kind of amazed that his film I enjoyed least (Benjamin Button) got tons of nominations years back and the one I've enjoyed the most in a very long time gets only one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Surlaw posted:

Just sticking to Fincher I'm kind of amazed that his film I enjoyed least (Benjamin Button) got tons of nominations years back and the one I've enjoyed the most in a very long time gets only one.

I still have no idea why he made Ben Butt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To play with some cool special effects.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Notable Snubs
Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler

:cry:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Noah probably deserved a Visual Effects nod for the Creation scenes alone. Instead, we've got Captain America 2.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The visual editing in Wild is a million times better than The Imitation Game.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the end who gives a gently caress about the oscars.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

I thought he had to in order to get Zodiac made.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Sad that Life Itself didn't get nominated for Best Documentary :smith:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Criminal Minded posted:

I thought he had to in order to get Zodiac made.

Extremely worth it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
No Lego movie
No gone girl ost
And Selma not on best director/actor

gently caress this garbage

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Biggest snub is no Fiennes

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there a demographic breakdown of the most active Oscar voters? Because I'm pretty sure they're mostly white old people who have very conventional tastes at best.

I gave up on the Oscars in terms of artistic legitimacy when Paprika didn't even get a nomination. Unfortunately, they do matter in that they are often used as weathervanes for studios for what kinds of prestige films they are going to produce, and thus can define the genres/topic/style they're willing to invest in.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Neeksy posted:

Is there a demographic breakdown of the most active Oscar voters? Because I'm pretty sure they're mostly white old people who have very conventional tastes at best.

I gave up on the Oscars in terms of artistic legitimacy when Paprika didn't even get a nomination. Unfortunately, they do matter in that they are often used as weathervanes for studios for what kinds of prestige films they are going to produce, and thus can define the genres/topic/style they're willing to invest in.

It's pretty much entirely old white dudes. Like 94% of the voters are white and the average age is 63. 77% are male lol.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

So he could get to make Zodiac.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Why the gently caress Imitation Game for Best Picture? Everything I've read about the movie is about how hilariously wrong it is on all accounts (nothing about the movie itself).

And American Sniper but not Unbroken? They are almost the same (and both mediocre).

As a latent Pole, what are Ida's chances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

slogsdon posted:

It's pretty much entirely old white dudes. Like 94% of the voters are white and the average age is 63. 77% are male lol.

This answers pretty much any question you could ask about the Oscars.

• Locked thread