Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Tax Refund posted:

008: The total price is 105 of whatever currency (picarats?)

Gonna unspoil this part just to say that it is in pounds, even though the puzzle neglects to mention it except for in the hints. I would be curious how a picarat based economy would work, though. Maybe they'd be like bitcoins?

Glazius posted:

...why do I already feel like I know the answer to Lady Poshington's missing baby?

If you did know with the few clues we've been given, I'd be surprised.

On another note, the next update is coming later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
The Search for Tom

Music: Puzzle

As many of you noted, this is a Tower of Hanoi puzzle. I would say more about how to solve this one, but it's called Piles of Pancakes 1 - we'll be seeing more of this type of puzzle.

A good way to start these puzzles is by drawing a line between any two trees of the same kind that are adjacent, since you know they can't be in the same group.

This sort of puzzle - what is the minimum number of colours to colour a graph without having a colour adjacent to itself - is actually a concept in mathematics. The minimum number of colours to do so is called the graph's Chromatic Number. I could talk a bit more about this, but I don't want to flood this section with :words: so I'll skip it for now.

I don't have anything to add that the solution below doesn't, so I'll just point out that I like that what they order seems believable - Layton orders tea, a sandwich, and a salad and Luke orders a milkshake, stew, steak, and... I think the 17 is fish and chips?

Tax Refund gets points for noting that design B likely wouldn't hold up either, but design D is the only impossible one.

whitehelm said that if you rotate the middle triangle you get a triforce, and I think that's pretty good reasoning.

Surprisingly, no one took a stab at this one. Then I realized that I left it out of the "Puzzles in this Update" section, which might have something to do with it. :v: I did that because I figured that it was at the end of the update and didn't need to be in the section, but I'll fix that for future updates.

Music: Molentary Express

: Nevertheless, this is my case, so I’ll be searching for Tom alone. Conduct your own search if you like, but don’t get your hopes up.

The route we’re taking on this search is just going to be starting at the back of the train, next to Layton’s car, and sweeping up towards the observation deck.

This lady is in front of our car, and she has a puzzle for us.

No, can’t say that I have. There’s no way I’d forget seeing a boy with only one shoe!

: I see. Well, thank you very-

Oh, but while we’re on the topic of shoes, maybe you could help me with a little predicament of my own.

I don’t have much to say about this puzzle other than my game doesn’t render the change in color colour when I tap the squares, so I was very confused when doing this puzzle. I thought I managed to break something.

Working backward from the goal in your head is a great tactic that can help you find the answer.
The solution requires that you take exactly 19 steps from the start point to the goal.
From the start point, begin your walk by taking a step to the right.

”Bonce”?

”Oxford English Dictionary > British & World English” posted:

Bonce (noun) British informal - A person’s head.

Huh. That’s a new one.

Come to think of it, Layton’s car isn’t the backmost one. Let’s start further back.

Unfortunately, we’re intercepted by this guy.

: What’s the matter, mister?

Wha-? Oh, hey… OK, so I snuck into my uncle’s room and borrowed his camera, right? Think is, then I dropped it. I’ve been here trying to find all the pieces for, like, an hour, but I’ve only found one…

: That’s quite the predicament.

Yeah, and if word gets about this wrecked camera, I’m gonna catch major flak from the bossman. Whoa, brain flash incoming! Dig this. I’m going to give you this busted hunk of junk. You do with it what you want, just get rid of the thing, will ya? OK, catch you on the flipside.

And with that, we’ve got one of ten parts that we need to rebuild the camera. It’s the second of the three hidden things in the trunk. I would show it to you, but there’s no real point in doing so until we get all ten pieces.

After this, we’re booted back to the previous screen. Maybe now that Sammy’s left, we can get into the deluxe carriage?

Hold it right there, man! Sammy Thunder says entrance to this carriage is for VIPs only, capiche? Now, I know you’d like to sneak a peek, but the whole carriage’s been booked, so that’s a no-go.

Wait, you left. Why are you back immediately?

: The people who reserve rooms in this carriage must be super-rich mega tycoons!

: Indeed. I wonder what it must be like to have that much space to yourself on a train of this calibre.

: Well, for now I suppose you’ll just have to keep wondering, eh, Professor? Ha ha ha ha!

: Yes, quite.

But what if we tried asking Sammy a third time?

: What if we just took a reeeeally quick peek?

No can do, little guy. You need a ticket to do that. I’ll tell you what. Your pal Sammy Thunder has a puzzle that’ll take your mind off that door. Check it.

We get a puzzle for our trouble.

Since the puzzle tells you that no one got on the train during the ride, it’s safe to say that the number of passengers on the train never increased.
Since 1/6 of the passengers get off at the first station, you know the number must be divisible by six. Start by choosing a number that’s divisible by six and see what happens. The principle by which this puzzle is solved should become evident soon.
Imagine that 30 passengers are on the train when it embarks. At the first station, the train loses 1/6 of its passengers, meaning five people get off. At the next station, 1/5 of those remaining, or five people, get off. At the next station, 1/4 of those remaining, or five more people, get off. Do you notice a pattern here?

And that’s how that one goes. Well, now the show’s over, so move it, will ya? If the folks in there find other passengers hanging around outside their door, I’m gonna get an earful.

From here, we sweep through every car up through the dining car, finding nothing of interest. Then we check out the kitchen. Maybe Tom got hungry?

: Maybe the cap belongs to Tom.

: We certainly shouldn’t rule out that possibility.

: Oh, hey, since we’re on the subject of caps, have you ever heard this one, Professor?

The puzzle says that some of the children received red balloons. From that, you can infer that there were no fewer than four children in red hats.
The puzzle says some of the kids received a red balloon. By definition, therefore, not all kids received a red balloon.
If every preschooler had on a red hat, you’d see every single child go home with a red balloon. Remembering that the children aren’t allowed to add their own hat to their total, think about how many children would receive a red balloon if nine kids wore red hats. What about if eight did? Seven? Just keep going down the line.

: Better luck next time, Luke. For now, we’d better return to searching for that lost little boy.

: Oh, right. Yep, better get back to that. Now that you mention it, how do you suppose Tom managed to worm his way into such a tight space?

: Hmm, good question.

Now, we return to the dining car and decide to visit Babette’s room. Perhaps we might be able to get some more information from her.

Interesting. I see something on the ground.

: Food scraps, if I’m not mistaken.

: Do you suppose Tom wandered into the kitchen to grab something to eat?

: Well, it is possible, though if that’s the case, the child certainly is lacking in the manners department.

This is the reason you're expected to go to the kitchen. I hit the kitchen sooner just to save time.

: Lovely decorations really do wonders for a room, don’t they? Doubly so in the case of flowers. Tell me, Luke, what do you think of flowers like these?

Just spot the differences with a twist.

The black-and-white color scheme of the altered image makes this puzzle a lot more challenging, doesn’t it? However, this change to the image may ends up helping you more than you know. Remember, in the altered image, dark spots are now bright, and vice versa.
If you’ve been looking for what parts of A, B, and C don’t match the black-and-white image, you’ll eventually find an answer. But since there is only a single solution, it may be easier to start by finding how A, B, and C differ from one another.
Pay attention to the circles at the centre of each flower. Also take a good look at the number of dots and their positions in each image.

Continuing onwards toward the observation deck, we-

: Is everything all right, miss?

I’m fine, thank you. Excuse me.

: Mm, yes, now that you mention it, something about her did seem rather...familiar, as you say.

...Really, Layton? Really?

OK, sure. Now that someone we totally don’t know is gone, let’s talk to Sally.

: Sorry, miss, but we are currently searching for a small child. Have you seen a young boy wandering around by himself in this carriage?

: A little boy, eh? Nope, sorry mister, but that doesn’t ring any bells. Ooh, ooh, what happened? Did he get lost on the train?

: Yes. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to track down the missing tot.

: You know, I probably shouldn’t start vicious rumours, but… Oh well, I’ve nothing better to do. Did you know that there’s a weird old woman staying in this carriage? What if she kidnapped the little one and has him stowed away in her room? I know it’s probably not true, but what if?! She’s just so bizarre that I can’t help wondering… But I could get in trouble for speaking ill of passengers. Just forget I said anything, OK?

: A strange old woman, eh? I wonder who she could be talking about.

: Your guess is as good as mine, Luke. But it certainly does make one wonder.

I guess it’s time to enter this room then.

I’m going to cut a long explanation here. Granny Riddleton here is usually very useful, since she keeps puzzles that we can’t access anymore. For instance, if there was a hidden puzzle in London and we missed it, it would stay in Granny Riddleton’s shack since we can’t go back to London anymore.

That being said, we won’t miss any puzzles, so this is the first and only time we’ll speak to her over the course of the game.

We finally reach the observation deck, and we find a man who gives us a puzzle.

In the US version of the game, this guy is Hank instead of Steve. There are an awful lot of localization changes that I really don’t get in this game.

: No trouble at all, my good man. I take it you’re not a passenger, then?

Nah, I’m just a mechanic, innit. I come along for the ride in case somethin’ goes belly-up. But as you can see, she’s sound as a pound! Makes my job dead easy. In fact, I’ve got so much free time lately I made up a puzzle all by meself. ‘Ow about it, then?

I’m not the only person who thinks Hank sounds extra British here, right?

There’s a part of this puzzle that I both like and don’t like, but I can’t really discuss it yet.

To start, try tracing your way through the maze. This trick is probably old news to you by now, but in case you forgot, it’s often helpful to try working your way backward from the exit.
Do mazes make your head spin? Take some of the work out of following all those roads by using the Memo function to mark dead ends and the paths that lead to them.
If you’ve already figured out which animals can make it to the exit, congratulations. But think for a moment about the title of this puzzle. All of the animals are free once they leave their cages, but it can be a jungle out there. Just because an animal can find its way to the exit doesn’t mean it’ll make it out alive…

Our sweeping search turned up a few clues, but we still need more. Come to think of it, if Tom’s hat was in the kitchen, then he would have to pass through the dining car. Let’s head back there and see if Chester saw Tom.

: No, I don’t believe so. But come to think of it, a couple who were just here were talking about a child.

: Interesting. Do you have any idea as to where we might find this couple now, my good man?

: I believe they are staying in the fourth carriage, sir. May I suggest paying them a visit?

: A wonderful suggestion. Thank you for your assistance. Come along now, Luke. Let’s drop in on the couple in the fourth carriage.

: We’re dreadfully sorry to intrude, sir, but we are searching for a lost little one. Did you happen to see or hear anything pertaining to this?

Oh, sweetie, I do believe they might be talking about that darling cutie pie that just passed by. Remember?

: Uh… Oh! Yes, yes! He was a cute one, he was. Small and very clever looking, I’d say.

: So you did see Tom, then? He’s been missing a while now.

: Eh? I didn’t know whether he was a girl or a boy, truth be told. Tom’s a right nice name though.

Oh pishposh, dear. I bet my best tea set that it was a girl who passed by our room.

: Hmm, yes, now that you mention it, I had a feeling that the scamp might have been a girl. But until you flip the thing on its back and get a good long look, you never can be sure, can you?

Now I’m all confuddled. I don’t have the faintest idea who we’re talking about anymore.

: What?!

: On the contrary, Luke, we may have just stumbled on to some extremely valuable information.

: What do you mean, Professor?

: You’ll see. First, let’s return to the scene of Tom’s disappearance.

First, let’s get another puzzle.

: It was nice talking with you, though. Let me give you a puzzle for the road!

”Each time the message is spoken, it can have only one recipient.” What you need to remember here is that any one person can only spread the message to one other person at a time. Try reading the problem again bearing in mind the above.
Every time a given person relays the message to another person, the number of people who know the message will increase by one.
One minute after the game starts, two people will know the message. If each of those people then goes on to spread the message, by the end of the second minute, a total of four people will know the message. Do you see where this is going?

: Still, don’t get your hopes up about finding that little boy. He could be anywhere.

Goodness, listen to my husband. Sometimes he can be a little negative without realising it. I, for one, am cheering for you. Best of luck finding that little one!

There’s the second of ten pieces.

As soon as we exit this car…

: So you two are still flipping furniture trying to find that tyke, are you?

: Hm? Do you mean to say that the child has been found?

: No, no, not at all. What I’m saying is that the child is no longer on this train. I’ve asked everyone aboard, but no one gave me an answer that suggested they’d seen the lad. This led me to the conclusion that the poor child either got off the train or fell off it.

: Fell off?!

: Yes, it’s entirely plausible given the way children love to run amok. When you combine that with their oversized heads, you’ve got yourself a recipe for disaster. I’ll contact the railway police at the next station, so feel free to give up on your search.

: Just a moment, Inspector. The windows on this train are very high and every exit is manned. Given the situation, don’t you think it’s unlikely a child could have made it off the train unnoticed?

: All right, I’ll humour you. So, tell me, Layton, where do you think this elusive ankle-biter got off to?

: Oh, there’s just no reasoning with you. Fine, keep playing detective. Nothing’ll come of it, I tell you!

Let’s head back again towards our own car.

: What’s on your mind, my boy? You look distracted.

: It’s hard to put my finger on why, but I feel like someone has been watching us for a while.

: You too? I’ve been feeling that same sensation myself.

: It’s certainly possible. Keep an eye out for anything unusual.

I’m not going to insult your intelligence and ask what’s changed since the last time we were here.

: This looks like one of Tom’s shoes, doesn’t it, Professor?

: It certainly does.

: This is strange, though… It’s for the same foot as the shoe the inspector gave us earlier.

: So it is… Aha!

Any goons care to finish Layton’s sentence here?

Puzzles in this Update:

Working backward from the goal in your head is a great tactic that can help you find the answer.
The solution requires that you take exactly 19 steps from the start point to the goal.
From the start point, begin your walk by taking a step to the right.

Since the puzzle tells you that no one got on the train during the ride, it’s safe to say that the number of passengers on the train never increased.
Since 1/6 of the passengers get off at the first station, you know the number must be divisible by six. Start by choosing a number that’s divisible by six and see what happens. The principle by which this puzzle is solved should become evident soon.
Imagine that 30 passengers are on the train when it embarks. At the first station, the train loses 1/6 of its passengers, meaning five people get off. At the next station, 1/5 of those remaining, or five people, get off. At the next station, 1/4 of those remaining, or five more people, get off. Do you notice a pattern here?

The puzzle says that some of the children received red balloons. From that, you can infer that there were no fewer than four children in red hats.
The puzzle says some of the kids received a red balloon. By definition, therefore, not all kids received a red balloon.
If every preschooler had on a red hat, you’d see every single child go home with a red balloon. Remembering that the children aren’t allowed to add their own hat to their total, think about how many children would receive a red balloon if nine kids wore red hats. What about if eight did? Seven? Just keep going down the line.

The black-and-white color scheme of the altered image makes this puzzle a lot more challenging, doesn’t it? However, this change to the image may ends up helping you more than you know. Remember, in the altered image, dark spots are now bright, and vice versa.
If you’ve been looking for what parts of A, B, and C don’t match the black-and-white image, you’ll eventually find an answer. But since there is only a single solution, it may be easier to start by finding how A, B, and C differ from one another.
Pay attention to the circles at the centre of each flower. Also take a good look at the number of dots and their positions in each image.

To start, try tracing your way through the maze. This trick is probably old news to you by now, but in case you forgot, it’s often helpful to try working your way backward from the exit.
Do mazes make your head spin? Take some of the work out of following all those roads by using the Memo function to mark dead ends and the paths that lead to them.
If you’ve already figured out which animals can make it to the exit, congratulations. But think for a moment about the title of this puzzle. All of the animals are free once they leave their cages, but it can be a jungle out there. Just because an animal can find its way to the exit doesn’t mean it’ll make it out alive…

”Each time the message is spoken, it can have only one recipient.” What you need to remember here is that any one person can only spread the message to one other person at a time. Try reading the problem again bearing in mind the above.
Every time a given person relays the message to another person, the number of people who know the message will increase by one.
One minute after the game starts, two people will know the message. If each of those people then goes on to spread the message, by the end of the second minute, a total of four people will know the message. Do you see where this is going?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think it should be obvious at this point that Tom is a dog... Perhaps the poodle that girl Layton bumped into on the train was holding?

Puzzle #16: The answer is A

Puzzle #25: The lion is the only one who can make out of the maze and live

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Puzzle #21: 3 minutes. Person A tells person B the message (1 minute). B tells C the message but A also tells D the same message. (1 minute). A then tells E, B tells F, C tells G, D tells H (1 minute).

EDIT: Had to make a minor correction, but the end result is essentially the same whether or not the first person (in this example, A) is a "receiver" as well.

Sketchie fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 23, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Puzzle 18: Right, R, R, Up, U, Left, U, U, R, R, Down, R, R, U, L, U, U, R
Puzzle 19: Lowest number to start with is 6
Puzzle 14: 6 kids get Red balloons. Only 4 will be wearing red caps so the remaining 6 will be the only ones to see 4 or more red caps
Puzzle 16: Pattern A
Puzzle 25: The Lion and the Rabbit have a clear path out but nature will take its course and only the Lion will live to see the outside world
Puzzle 21: 3 minutes. Person A tells it to Person B, A and B tell it to C and D, then A-D tell it to E-H

Good luck and Godspeed you madman. :patriot:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be honest, when I read through an update I try my hand on the puzzles. Either I get them and then I use the hints to confirm if I got it right, and then don't feel the need to post the answer anymore because it'll come up in the next update anyway... or I don't get it and use to hints to find the answer, in which case I don't feel like posting it either because the hints feel like cheating.

So, while this LP is cool, I don't really feel the need to type all the answers out.

Having said that, I'd like to note that that for Puzzle 19, while the obvious answer is 6, zero is a mathematically correct answer. And if you allow rounding, any number would do.

I think the mechanic guy is supposed to have some kind of blue collar British accent. Perhaps a Britain goon can clarify this?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think the mechanic guy is supposed to have some kind of blue collar British accent. Perhaps a Britain goon can clarify this?

It's really more of a half-hearted attempt at making Steve-Hank sound more Northern than anything else. He uses too many "r"s and "h"s for it to really work though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Having said that, I'd like to note that that for Puzzle 19, while the obvious answer is 6, zero is a mathematically correct answer. And if you allow rounding, any number would do.

"If only some children got a red balloon" so 0 (none) or 10 (all) is not valid. And rounding? Are you cutting balloons in half now?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

"If only some children got a red balloon" so 0 (none) or 10 (all) is not valid. And rounding? Are you cutting balloons in half now?

Puzzle 19 is where 1/6th get off the train. Puzzle 14 has balloons.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Puzzle 018: I don't know which was the start point and which was the end point. I started from the upper right-hand corner, but I may have gotten start and end mixed up. Oh well. From the upper right-hand corner, head left 1, down 2, right 1, down 1, left 2, up 1, left 2, down 2, right 1, down 2, left 3 and you're at the lower left corner. Incidentally, there's a trick that made this one trivial, but I'll mention it after others have had a chance to solve it.

Puzzle 019: There were six people on the train at the start, and one person got off at each stop. There are other, much higher, numbers that could also work, but 6 is the minimum.

Puzzle 014: If there were more than four red caps, then everyone (including those wearing a red cap) would have gotten a red balloon. If there were fewer than four red caps, then nobody would have gotten a red balloon. Since only some kids got red balloons, there must have been exactly 4 red caps, and thus 6 blue caps. So the six kids wearing blue caps got red balloons, and the four kids wearing red caps got blue balloons.

Puzzle 016: A

Puzzle 025: The alligator and the panda don't have a path to the exit. Neither do the tiger or the giraffe. Both the lion and the rabbit have paths to the exit, but only the lion is going to make it out safely. (The rabbit will be inside the lion's belly by that point.)

Puzzle 021: Three minutes. In minute 1, A tells it to B. In minute 2, A and B each tell it to one of C and D. And in minute 3, the four who know the message tell it to the four who don't.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Puzzle 19 is where 1/6th get off the train. Puzzle 14 has balloons.

Gah, thanks.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Puzzle 018: Fill in walls for impossible moves. A single solution remains. 3r,2u,1l,2u,2r,1d,2r,1u,1l,2u,1r
Puzzle 019: Zero.
Puzzle 014:
<0 red b -> at least 4 red caps.
<0 blue b -> at most 4 red caps.
With four red caps the answer is 6

Puzzle 016: A
Puzzle 025: Lion. As the lion is starving it eats the Rabbit.
Puzzle 021: 3 minutes. After n minutes 2^n people can be told.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

Puzzle 018: I don't know which was the start point and which was the end point.

Look for the goal flag.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
Puzzle 18: Right 3, Up 2, Left 1, Up 2, Right 2, Down 1, Right 2, Up 1, Left 1, Up 2, Right 1. Working backwards makes it a lot easier to solve.

19: Any multiple of 6 should work, including 6 itself.

14: 6 children got a red balloon. It's the only answer that isn't all or nothing because if the number of red caps in the class were either greater or less than 4 then either everyone or no one would see 4 red caps.

16: It's A. The center of the large flowers in C are off terms of size and color, and B has a small dot present just below the large black spot on the center right hand side that isn't present in A or the black & white picture

25: While the rabbit and lion both have a way out of the maze, the last sentence of the puzzle makes me think it's going to pull some kind of trick answer. I'm guessing the lion eats the rabbit and is the only one that will escape.

21: 3 minutes. The rules of the puzzle essentially make it work the same way as exponents of 2 in math, and 2 to the third power is 8.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Tom's True Identity

Puzzles in the Previous Update:

This is the maze of shoes one. I would show the answer before hitting submit, but as I said before, the colour doesn't render on my game for some reason.

Many goons noted that it was easier to work backwards on this, and I agree with them.

0 makes sense. 0/6 = 0, 0/5 = 0, 0/4 = 0, and so on, so 0 passengers get off at the first stop, 0 get off at the second stop, and so on. And unless we deal in negative passengers, it certainly is the lowest number of passengers possible.

Yeah, doesn't count. It's a bit silly, because based on the letter of the puzzle I can't find a problem with 0 as an answer.

6 was the answer most goons came to, and it's what we're looking for.

I've got nothing to add here; it's not a particularly hard puzzle.

We'll see this puzzle type again, so I'll wait on talking more about this puzzle.

Everyone who posted successfully found the wrinkle in this puzzle - that the lion would eat the rabbit, so only the lion would make it out safely.

I like this wrinkle in that it makes it more than just a maze puzzle, but I don't like that you have to assume that the lion will find the rabbit.

No one fell for this trap either.

And now back to our show.

Music: Silence

: Hmm? What exactly do you mean?

: Recall, for a moment, the events as they have unfolded thus far.

: Er, let’s see…

Music: Suspense

: First, that tiny shoe was found on the floor.

: That’s right. A shoe small enough for a baby.

: And then there was the cap we found in the kitchen… But it was lodged in such a tiny corner, I don’t know how Tom could have squeezed in there.

: Correct. In order to get back there, Tom would have to be no more than half your size.

: I don’t think I’ve seen any boys smaller than myself on the train, now that you mention it.

: That was my impression as well. Which is why I began to consider a different line of thought.

: You see, all the while we’ve been searching for Tom, we’ve assumed that he’s a small child. But what if that assumption proves false? What if we’ve been wrong from the start?

: I think I see what you’re getting at, Professor… The second shoe was a left shoe, identical in every way to the shoe the inspector gave us. If that strange pair of shoes means what I think it does, then our friend Tom is…

Oh boy, a slide puzzle. In all fairness, this one isn’t actually all that bad, partially because it’s a story puzzle - meaning that everyone has to be able to solve it.

Those L-shaped pieces are pretty awkward to move around, aren’t they? If only you could change the shape of the pieces into something easier to move around. Say...a square, perhaps?
Pair each L-shaped piece with a small square block, and treat each pair as a single unit to be moved.
By the way, you might be interested to know that this puzzle can be solved in as few as 20 moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD1ZiVGVFtU

Points to Zuzie for being the first one to figure this out.

: Do you recall the girl we saw holding a small dog? I suspect that small dog was our friend Tom.

Bonus points to Zuzie for guessing that the dog we’re looking for was the one that girl was holding.

: So if we track down that girl, we’ll find Tom!

So let’s head towards the observation deck. We also probably ought to tell Chelmey.

: I was just about to head over to Babette’s and inform her that her child is no longer aboard the train.

: Inspector, we are mere moments away from discovering Tom’s location. Could I ask you to give us just a while longer to ponder on the situation?

: Still don’t want to face the truth, eh, Layton? Fine, since you’re so intent on it and seeing as Babette is napping right now, I’ll wait a while longer. The moment she wakes up, though, I’m taking my findings to her. Got it? If you want to prove yourself right, bring the boy back before that.

: Understood. I plan to do just that, Inspector.

: We’d better find the girl with the dog as quickly as we can, Professor.

This man is blocking the way to the observation deck, so let’s chat with him.

: I can’t see how I could dislike a couple of ardent puzzle-solvers like yourselves. Let’s be pals, eh?

This is one of the what I’ll call “puzzle checks.” If you haven’t solved more than 12 puzzles by this point, Grousley would prevent you from reaching the observation deck.

That being said, we’ve been solving every puzzle we can get our hands on and we have 24 puzzles to our name, so we’re fine.

He also has a puzzle.

: Hrm. Hrrrrm? What about…? No. Hmph. This puzzle is going to keep me up all night… Oh, sorry about that. Now, what’s with you two? What can I do you for?

: We’re looking for a young lady with a small do. Have you seen anyone fitting that description?

: Yeah, I remember seeing someone like that pass by. I think she was heading to the back of the train.

: Thank you very much. We’ll just be on our way.

: I see how it is. Get ol’ Grousley to answer your question and then scoot off without a word. I told you what you wanted to know, so the way I see it, you should at least lend a man a hand.

: I’m terribly sorry, sir. I didn’t realise you required our help. How may we be of service?

: A friend gave me this puzzle because I love art, but… Maybe you’ll have better luck with it than I’ve had. Fancy giving it a go?

You never know what secrets the area around the window might hide. Try using those studs stuck around the frame of the window to simplify things.
Open the Memo function and, using the studs around the window, divide the picture into 10 squares. There, now doesn’t that make things easier?
Compare each square with the others. By now, perhaps you’ve managed to spot that some of the squares have the same designs as other squares but are inverted in color scheme. Any pair of squares you find like this have the same amount of sky and cloud, right? But you still have to deal with those other squares that are completely blue.

: Now, as for that girl you were asking about, she’s probably on the observation deck behind me.

There’s the third part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsbK7zVic9o

: Quick! Grab him!

: To think we were chasing after a dog all along…!

: Ho ho, right you are, Luke. Now let’s get him back to his owner.

: Of course not. Come along now.

And so we head to Babette’s car.

: THIS is Tom?! We were under the impression that we were searching for a boy, not a mutt with a fancy haircut!

: How dare you compare my darling Tommykins to some common street mongrel?!

: Lost dogs are no matter for Scotland Yard. Next time he goes missing, find him yourself! Blimey, some folks haven’t an ounce of sense. Come on, Barton, we’ve got real cases to solve.

: Don’t you walk away from me! I want to have a word with you about your atrocious manners!

*brief fade to black*

: Well, enough of that. Welcome back, sweetie. Where did my little Tommykins run off to today? He’s such a darling that I feared someone might have kidnapped him and held him for ransom.

: Good idea, my boy.

: Eep.

: I do believe a reward is in order. Here, I know it’s quite, ahem, generous, but I insist!

Only the finest reward for the rescuers of your darling Tommykins, eh Babette?

: How much longer until we get there, Professor? I’m not entirely sure. Why don’t we rest until we get there? That should make the time pass faster.

The Layton symbol over the Mystery indicates that it’s been solved.

And now a brief look at our new hamster toy.

: Well, until I found that little dog I’d just been relaxing in my room.

: Really? You’ve got your own room?

: Sure, I do. It’s the middle one in the third carriage.

: Wow! You do know that’s the room right next to ours, don’t you?

: You were just a wall away from us and I never so much as suspected you were there. It would seem that my powers of observation are rather rusty.

At this point, we get kicked directly to Layton’s car.

: My word! Why has the train stopped?

: What’s going on?

And then we get kicked outside the train.

: Hey boss-man, just chill out. There’s a broken train, like, just sitting on the track. Until we can move that thing out of our way, we’re not going anywhere, man.

: Then get your rear in gear and move it now! I won’t have your laziness tarnishing the Molentary brand!

: But, uh, trains are heavy, man! How am I supposed to move it?

: I will not hear excuses, especially not from a layabout conductor like you who barely earns his keep! I don’t care how you do it! Just get it done!

: OK, OK, I’ll give it a shot. Just turn it down a notch, Unko.

: “Unko”?! I might be your uncle, but I’m also president of this railway and I demand you address me as such!

: OK, all right, sure. Whatever you say, your majesty…

Let’s take a moment to talk to Beluga.

Geez. Let’s move left.

: Oh, sorry, Mr Passenger. See, there’s this giganto freight train parked on the tracks and it’s blocking our way. Clearing the tracks is gonna take some time, so, um, sit back with something fizzy and wait.

: I see. Can I lend you a hand?

: For real? Aw yeah, that’d be way helpful! You think you can find a way to move the train blocking the tracks so we can, like, get moving?

: Step aside now. We’re not going anywhere until that train moves off the tracks.

Tapping Hank gives us the puzzle to fix this train problem.

More slide puzzles. Yay.

Your first goal is to get the cars from the shorter train to their assigned places.
Move the red car marked 1 to the space on the far-right side of the upper track. After that, move all the white cars down to the lower track, and you’ll be able to slide that first red car into its assigned spot.
Apply the method described in Hint Two to move the other cars, and you’ll have those trains switched around in no time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CEOmDz3SF4

: Looks like we’re good to go. Gimme just a sec and we’ll be up and runnin’ again.

And so we return to our room.

: It shouldn’t be too much longer before we arrive in Dropstone.

: I wonder if we’ll find any useful information there.

: I hope so.

And that makes four.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gzRzmoWRGc

Puzzles in this Update:

You never know what secrets the area around the window might hide. Try using those studs stuck around the frame of the window to simplify things.
Open the Memo function and, using the studs around the window, divide the picture into 10 squares. There, now doesn’t that make things easier?
Compare each square with the others. By now, perhaps you’ve managed to spot that some of the squares have the same designs as other squares but are inverted in color scheme. Any pair of squares you find like this have the same amount of sky and cloud, right? But you still have to deal with those other squares that are completely blue.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
DLC Set 1

Alright, I feel bad about giving you a single puzzle to do at the end of that last update.

Let’s check out the Bonuses section for a moment.

Puzzle Index is the same thing as it is in the trunk - it just lets you replay any puzzle you’ve solved before. Layton’s Challenges we won’t deal with for quite a while. Top Secret is, well, top secret. :v: Weekly Puzzles is what we’re here for.

As you can probably tell from the name of this update and the options here, this game featured puzzles released on a weekly basis that you could download over Nintendo WFC.

Let’s see what we have right now.

They give you one without downloading anything. Let’s go ahead and do it.

And it is, of course, a sliding puzzle. Because we haven’t had enough of those lately.

If you think about moving the red vertical bars as a set, you should do just fine.

As a side note, weekly puzzles only have one hint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34irpdgLYjg

Weekly puzzles reward no picarats. They’re just for fun. Unfortunately, Nintendo WFC no longer exists, so we can’t download these puzzles anymore.

Or can we? It turns out that the DS didn’t actually download the puzzles - they were on the cart to begin with. All we need to do is access them.

I did a bit of searching and found a code for the US version of the game. This screenshot looks a bit messed up, but this will let me access all of the weekly puzzles.

Incidentally, there are no US/UK exclusive weekly puzzles, so you guys won’t miss out on anything other than some extra ‘u’s.

Er, right. The way the cheat works is by making other puzzles think they’re weekly puzzle number one, so in the interest of not having a lot of weekly puzzle number ones, I broke out MSPaint so we can tell them apart.

Alright, that’s all I have to say. Enjoy the puzzles!

There are plenty of solutions if you were free to make lots of moves, but you need the answer involving the fewest moves. Also, only numbers in the two rightmost columns should move.

The next time the clocks look the same, they won’t be pointing at 12:00. Once you realize that, it’s just a simple calculation problem.

Those two squares that stick out on the far right are part of an edge of the finished piece.

It helps to know that opposite faces on a single die always add up to seven. Use that as the basis for your deduction.

The length of a side of the original square is equal to the diameter of the circle you cut. If you then cut the largest possible square from that circle, what would be the relationship of the circle’s diameter to the new square?

The answers to these puzzles will show up at the start of the next update along with Puzzle 012.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 012: In GIMP or MSPaint or whatever, draw thin vertical lines between each pair of white dots along the picture's frame, and one thin horizontal line between the dots on the left and right. Now the picture is divided into ten squares, each with area 1 since the picture has area 10. Call A1 the lower left and E2 the upper right. Now you can see that A1 and B2 are reverse images of each other: mentally swap the clouds from A1 for the sky from B2 and you'll have a completely blue A1 and a completely white B2. Another pair is C2 with D1, and the B1-C1 rectangle pairs up almost perfectly with the D2-E2 rectangle. So between those eight "paired" squares, you can count them as 4 blue squares and 4 white squares. Add the fact that A2 and E1 are completely blue, and you end up with the answer: 6 blue sky and 4 white clouds.

Puzzle W02, Moving Tiles: Swap the 0 and 5 in the top row, then ROTATE the 9 at the end of the top row so that it becomes a 6. Now the equation reads 850+476=1326, which is correct. Total of 3 moves, or just 2 if the game counts a swap as a single move.

Puzzle W03, Wrong Clocks: At first glance, you might think it will be after 30 hours, when both clocks' minute hands are back on the 6, but that's wrong. After 2 hours, one clock will show 2:02 and the other 1:58. After 12 hours, when it's really midnight, one clock will show 12:12 and the other 11:48. After 24 hours, when it's really noon again, the fast clock will show 12:24 and the slow one 11:36. After 30 hours, both clocks will have their minute hands on the 6, but one will show that it's 6:30 and the other that it's 5:30 -- so 30 hours isn't the correct solution. However, it will need to be a multiple of 30 hours, so our search for a solution can be sped up. After 60 hours (when it's really midnight), the fast clock will show that it's 1:00 and the slow clock will show that it's 11:00. After 120 hours, the fast clock will show that it's 2:00 and the slow clock that it's 10:00. 180 hours will give us 3:00 and 9:00, 240 hours will give us 4:00 and 8:00, and 300 hours will give us 5:00 and 7:00. Now we should check 330 hours, just in case -- but that gives us 5:30 for the fast clock and 6:30 for the slow clock. It's only after 360 hours have passed that both clocks will show the exact same time again, 6:00. (One will "actually" be showing 6:00 AM or 06:00, and the other 6:00 PM or 18:00, but since these are 12-hour clocks that doesn't matter.) The answer is 360 hours.

Puzzle W04, Cut and Splice: I'm bad at these. I'll skip this for now and post my answer to it later on once I've worked it out. Got it, finally. From the bottom edge, count six grid lines from the left and start your cut there (so the bottom row of the left-hand piece has six squares in it). Cut up 1, then left 3, up 4, and right 1. Now the right-hand piece can rotate 90° clockwise and slot into place.

Puzzle W05, Wall of Dice: Normal dice have a specific layout where the pips on opposite sides always add up to 7, but we can't assume that's the case here. So let's work it out. From the upper right die, we can see that whatever number is opposite 2 can't be 1 or 4, and from the upper left die we see that it can't be 3 or 6 either. So 5 is opposite 2. Now from the upper right die, the number opposite 1 can't be 2 or 4 or 5, and from the lower right die we see that it can't be 3 either. Therefore 1 is opposite 6, which means that 3 is opposite 4 and these must be normal-layout dice. So let's work out the numbers on the bottom left die. Its right side is 5, so its left side is 2. Its top is 4, so its bottom is 3. The front must be either 1 or 6, but which one? Well, let's look at the upper-right die again. If we turn it 90° away from us so that its 4 is on top (matching the lower left die) while its 2 is still on the right, its 1 is now at the back. But the lower left die has its 2 at the left, not the right, so we need to spin it 180° keeping the 4 on top. That brings the 2 over to the left, and it also brings the 1 out to the front. Therefore, the question mark on the lower left die is a 1.

Puzzle W06, Paper and Scissors: Draw the circle, then draw a square inside the circle, and its corners will be in the midpoints of the original square. Divide it into quadrants and you'll easily see that in each quadrant, the big square's section is twice the size of the small square's section. (You could also call the area of the big square 4, which would make each side of the small square have length of sqrt(2), and then square that to get 2, but I prefer the quick visualization method.) No matter whether you got it by visualizing it or by doing geometry, the big square is 2 times larger than the small square.

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh sweet, I haven't done any of the weekly puzzles. I'll join in on these.

DLC 2: Swap 0 and 2, and swap 5 and 6.

DLC 3: 360

DLC 4: http://i.imgur.com/OBTvDmD.png

DLC 5: 1

DLC 6: 2

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tax Refund posted:

Puzzle W03, Wrong Clocks: At first glance, you might think it will be after 30 hours, when both clocks' minute hands are back on the 6, but that's wrong. After 2 hours, one clock will show 2:02 and the other 1:58. After 12 hours, when it's really midnight, one clock will show 12:12 and the other 11:48. After 24 hours, when it's really noon again, the fast clock will show 12:24 and the slow one 11:36. After 30 hours, both clocks will have their minute hands on the 6, but one will show that it's 6:30 and the other that it's 5:30 -- so 30 hours isn't the correct solution. However, it will need to be a multiple of 30 hours, so our search for a solution can be sped up. After 60 hours (when it's really midnight), the fast clock will show that it's 1:00 and the slow clock will show that it's 11:00. After 120 hours, the fast clock will show that it's 2:00 and the slow clock that it's 10:00. 180 hours will give us 3:00 and 9:00, 240 hours will give us 4:00 and 8:00, and 300 hours will give us 5:00 and 7:00. Now we should check 330 hours, just in case -- but that gives us 5:30 for the fast clock and 6:30 for the slow clock. It's only after 360 hours have passed that both clocks will show the exact same time again, 6:00. (One will "actually" be showing 6:00 AM or 06:00, and the other 6:00 PM or 18:00, but since these are 12-hour clocks that doesn't matter.) The answer is 360 hours.

I'm going to post my slightly different way to get to the solution, because I think it's faster.

The first thing you need to understand is that every hour, the clocks move 2 minutes away from each other. As it's an analogue 12-hour clock, by the time the clocks have moved 12 hours away from each other, they hands are at exactly the same place again. There's 60 minutes in an hour, so 12 x 60 = 720 minutes. The clocks get through these 720 minutes of 'relative distance' at a rate of 2 minutes per hour. 720 / 2 = 360 hours.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm going to post my slightly different way to get to the solution, because I think it's faster.

The first thing you need to understand is that every hour, the clocks move 2 minutes away from each other. As it's an analogue 12-hour clock, by the time the clocks have moved 12 hours away from each other, they hands are at exactly the same place again. There's 60 minutes in an hour, so 12 x 60 = 720 minutes. The clocks get through these 720 minutes of 'relative distance' at a rate of 2 minutes per hour. 720 / 2 = 360 hours.

Yes, this is a better way to do it. I'm usually good at seeing the shortcuts in math-oriented puzzles, but I couldn't find the shortcut this time so I had to work it out the long way. It's good to know what the shortcut was.

Speaking of which, that reminds me of a puzzle. (I'm as bad as the Layton characters!) Might as well throw it in as an extra challenge for the thread to have fun with.

Puzzle TR01: You are working for a chocolate-making company, in their vending machine department. You have been asked to check on 100 of the company's vending machines, each of which is stocked with 100 chocolate bars. Each bar is supposed to weigh precisely 100 grams, but one vending machine among the 100 has been stocked with bars of chocolate that are precisely one gram too heavy. Your notoriously penny-penching employer wants you to find out which one of these 100 vending machines has been stocked with the one-gram-too-heavy chocolate bars. You have access to a digital scale, accurate to the gram, with a huge platter so you can put as much chocolate as you want on it at once (vending machines won't fit on it, though). Thing is, this digital scale was so expensive the company only bought one of them, and all the other testers need to use it too, so your boss has told you "Use the scale as few times as you can — and if you use it more than 10 times for this test, you're fired." You can push the "vend" button on each machine as many times as you like, though, since that doesn't cost the company money. So how can you fulfill this assignment and keep your job? And as a bonus question, can you find a way to do it in the fewest weighings possible, and prove that to your boss so that he promotes you?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Tax Refund posted:

Puzzle TR01: You are working for a chocolate-making company, in their vending machine department. You have been asked to check on 100 of the company's vending machines, each of which is stocked with 100 chocolate bars. Each bar is supposed to weigh precisely 100 grams, but one vending machine among the 100 has been stocked with bars of chocolate that are precisely one gram too heavy. Your notoriously penny-penching employer wants you to find out which one of these 100 vending machines has been stocked with the one-gram-too-heavy chocolate bars. You have access to a digital scale, accurate to the gram, with a huge platter so you can put as much chocolate as you want on it at once (vending machines won't fit on it, though). Thing is, this digital scale was so expensive the company only bought one of them, and all the other testers need to use it too, so your boss has told you "Use the scale as few times as you can — and if you use it more than 10 times for this test, you're fired." You can push the "vend" button on each machine as many times as you like, though, since that doesn't cost the company money. So how can you fulfill this assignment and keep your job? And as a bonus question, can you find a way to do it in the fewest weighings possible, and prove that to your boss so that he promotes you?

This is the kind of puzzle I can get behind. By which I mean I believe I have the solution.

Vend one bar from the first machine, two bars from the second, and so on up to all hundred bars from the hundredth machine. Put all of this chocolate on the scale. If all of the bars weighed 100 grams, I believe the total weight should be 505,000 grams (100 * 101 / 2 * 100), but it will weigh more than that. Call the total weight W, and calculate n = W - 505000. This is the number of grams of excess weight, and thus the number of bars that each weigh one gram too much. Since we took n bars from machine number n and from no other machine, the nth machine is the one that has the overweight bars. It's not hard to prove that the problem is impossible to solve in fewer weighings than one, but I'll leave that proof as an exercise for the reader.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Tax Refund posted:

Puzzle TR01:
[snip]

Oh good, I love a good puzzle!

...Wait just a second.

Oh, uh, so this is awkward.

I guess I should make it a rule now. Layton games have a lot of puzzles in them, and there's a decent chance that if you didn't make it up yourself (and even if you did), it'll be in one of the Layton games in some form. This puzzle is actually a variant of Puzzle 119 in this game. As such, you're free to share your puzzles (and I encourage it, because then I get more puzzles to solve), but if you do, please put the answer in spoiler tags.

Oh, and if anyone else posts another puzzle, number it TR02. If we get rolling on this, I'll put a compilation of thread puzzles in the second post.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Accursed Walrus posted:

Oh good, I love a good puzzle!

...Wait just a second.

Oh, uh, so this is awkward.

I guess I should make it a rule now. Layton games have a lot of puzzles in them, and there's a decent chance that if you didn't make it up yourself (and even if you did), it'll be in one of the Layton games in some form. This puzzle is actually a variant of Puzzle 119 in this game. As such, you're free to share your puzzles (and I encourage it, because then I get more puzzles to solve), but if you do, please put the answer in spoiler tags.

Oh, and if anyone else posts another puzzle, number it TR02. If we get rolling on this, I'll put a compilation of thread puzzles in the second post.

Welp. Not having played the games (obviously), I didn't know, but I shouldn't have been surprised that this puzzle showed up in some form in the game. After all, one of my favorite puzzles is the "tell which coin is counterfeit / which weight is off by a fraction, out of 12, in just 3 weighings" puzzle, and that (or a variant) showed up in the first Layton game. I was planning to put my answer in spoiler tags anyway (after giving people about a day to solve the puzzle), as that way anyone else reading through the thread later can still try to solve it. But it's good to have that rule explicitly stated.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

This is the kind of puzzle I can get behind. By which I mean I believe I have the solution.

Vend one bar from the first machine, two bars from the second, and so on up to all hundred bars from the hundredth machine. Put all of this chocolate on the scale. If all of the bars weighed 100 grams, I believe the total weight should be 505,000 grams (100 * 101 / 2 * 100), but it will weigh more than that. Call the total weight W, and calculate n = W - 505000. This is the number of grams of excess weight, and thus the number of bars that each weigh one gram too much. Since we took n bars from machine number n and from no other machine, the nth machine is the one that has the overweight bars. It's not hard to prove that the problem is impossible to solve in fewer weighings than one, but I'll leave that proof as an exercise for the reader.

Nice answer! My first thought was a less optimized one, it requires either 6 or 7 tries:

Get a single bar from each machine. Put the bars from machine 1 to 50 on the scale. If they weigh 50*100 + 1 grams, the 'faulty' machine is somewhere in the first 50. If not, it's in the latter 50.
Divide the 50 bars that contain the heavier one in two again, and put the first 25 on the scale. Is it 25 * 100 + 1 grams? Divide this stack in two and put the first half on the scale. If not, divide the remaining stack of 25 in two and do the same thing.

This way, each step you halve the amount of possible machines, quickly reaching a state where there's only one possibility left. Of course, after 25 you have to divide in slightly different amounts, i.e. 13/12 and so on. As a result, there's a 7/16 chance to get the answer in 6 tries, otherwise it takes 7.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 24, 2015

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Solution to Puzzle TR01: Nidoking got it right: vend one bar from the first machine, two bars from the second, and so on, up to a hundred bars from the hundredth machine. Then you need only a single weighing to determine which machine contains the overweight chocolate bars. But there's a slightly easier way to figure out which is the faulty machine than subtracting 505000: you can just look at the last two digits of the weight in grams (in other words, take the number modulo 100). If the last two digits are 01, there was only a single overweight bar in the whole stack, so it was from machine #1. If they were 27, machine #27 is at fault. And if the last two digits are 00, then machine #100 was at fault.

I have several puzzles that are variants (rather complex variants) on the "who can see which hat?" problem, but I think I'll wait until we've seen a few more puzzles in the game before I post them. Accidentally duplicating one of the game's puzzles has made me a little bit leery.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That's a point... I keep forgetting that it's possible to do puzzles without math sometimes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Nidoking posted:

That's a point... I keep forgetting that it's possible to do puzzles without math sometimes.

quote:

In general, I've found that if I start to write things down in an attempt to solve a puzzle I am probably overthinking it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That's perfect. Why haven't you posted in my Folklore thread so I can put your name in the credits? You're the first boss of the game!

I should probably post a puzzle here as well, while I'm at it. This is a topic that I personally find fascinating but doubt anybody else cares about.

Puzzle TR02: Suppose that you arrange the numbers from One to One Billion in alphabetical order. The words "a" and "and" do not appear anywhere in this list. What is the number immediately preceding Five?

Solution: Fifty-two thousand, two hundred two. Plus some extra words to disguise the actual length of the answer. You know how it goes.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Puzzle TR02: Suppose that you arrange the numbers from One to One Billion in alphabetical order. The words "a" and "and" do not appear anywhere in this list. What is the number immediately preceding Five?

I might be missing something, but I think it is 15222. Fifteen is right before five. Then it's either thousand or million (well, or hundred if you allow 'fifteen hundred' as a pronunciation). Thousand is the furthest along the alphabet. After that it's a question of making the rest go as far back the alphabet as possible, and 'two' (and 'twenty') does that trick.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Back in middle school I did Mathcounts, which is a competition full of puzzles like these. Along the lines of "this is how you can do it, and THIS is how you do a hundred of them within the time limit." Fun times, got first in state (and close to last place in nationals).

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I might be missing something, but I think it is 15222. Fifteen is right before five. Then it's either thousand or million (well, or hundred if you allow 'fifteen hundred' as a pronunciation). Thousand is the furthest along the alphabet. After that it's a question of making the rest go as far back the alphabet as possible, and 'two' (and 'twenty') does that trick.

I think it's actually
52202: Fifty Two Thousand Two Hundred (and) Two.
Fifty is the closest to five, two is the last alphabetically, thousand is the last word alphabetically out of thousand, million and hundred, hundred is the only allowable word after "Fifty Two Thouand Two", and then the final two digits are '02' because Two comes after Twenty Two.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Update coming sometime later today.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Roonerspism posted:

I think it's actually
52202: Fifty Two Thousand Two Hundred (and) Two.
Fifty is the closest to five, two is the last alphabetically, thousand is the last word alphabetically out of thousand, million and hundred, hundred is the only allowable word after "Fifty Two Thouand Two", and then the final two digits are '02' because Two comes after Twenty Two.

I think everyone's had enough time to think of numbers, so I'm going to say this is the answer I came up with. I can't absolutely guarantee its correctness because there are a billion numbers and I've never actually sat down and alphabetized them, but after years of pondering this problem, that's the number I came up with. There ARE numbers between that and Five, but they're well over one billion. (The first such number I can think of is Fifty-two trillion, rather obviously.) There's definitely a temptation to go for longer numbers, but length is only relevant to alphabetical order when the shorter word matches the beginning of the longer word.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Puzzling Times in Dropstone

Incidentally, Tax Refund found the answer to the bonus puzzle here without knowing it (you can't rotate the tiles, though you wouldn't know that unless you tried. Answer to that is below.

Tax Refund posted:

Swap the 0 and 5 in the top row, then ROTATE the 9 at the end of the top row so that it becomes a 6. Now the equation reads 850+476=1326, which is correct.

I'm sure there's a good way to figure these out without guess and check (and someone should tell me if there is), but that's all I've got for these.

It's worth noting that in most Layton puzzles, you can assume that any six sided die has a normal layout so that opposing sides of the die add up to 7 (1 is opposite 6, 2 is opposite 5, and 3 is opposite 4) unless the puzzle says otherwise.

This comic was posted in the thread, and is very relevant to this sort of puzzle.

Music: Silence

We’ve made it to Chapter 2! For those that are keeping count, we have 26 puzzles to our name out of the ~140 in the main story. That means we’re roughly 20% through the game!

So what have we learned about the Elysian Box so far? Well, we know that… uh… wait poo poo we spent all our time on the Molentary Express dealing with Babette’s dog.

Music: Dropstone

Also, I finally get to post a music link that isn’t Puzzle, London, Molentary Express, or Suspense. It’s a testament to the quality of the soundtrack that we’ve heard the same four tracks for over an hour real time and I still like them.

: We’ve got at least three hours till we’ll be ready to roll, so why don’t you catch the local sights?

: A capital idea! Besides, who knows what information we might stumble upon in the village?

Let’s talk to Sammy again.

: My unc- I mean, the boss is wandering around the village and so is that inspector dude. The village is celebrating its 50th anniversary right now, so I bet there’s tons of stuff to do. If I weren’t stuck working, I’d definitely go check it out myself.

: So the village was founded only 50 years ago? That’s quite young for a settlement in these parts.

: And it’s so peaceful here that I really can’t believe we’ll find any clues about the Elysian Box.

: Oh, I wouldn’t be so sure of that, Luke. Remember, one of the first rules of puzzle solving is that the answer is often in the unlikeliest of places!

The second rule is that, yes, you are overthinking the puzzle. The third is that yes, you are missing the trick to the puzzle.

: Right as always, Professor! I’ll be sure to keep my eyes peeled for clues!

Here’s a poster with a puzzle.

: Yes, yes, it’s quite lovely, Luke. Oh, but there’s something quite odd about the picture.

: Huh? What do you mean, Professor?

There’s nothing wrong with the dog.
The moon hanging in the sky and the lamppost are fine as is. Oh, and don’t bother searching the man in the foreground of the picture either.
The detail you’re searching for has to do with the train car. Once you’ve spotted it, you’re sure to shout, “There’s no way you could move it like that!”

There’s part number five.

Let’s move to the right and talk to Beluga.

: It’s delightful. Every once in a while, it’s nice to leave the city and enjoy the countryside.

: The air is so fresh and clean! It must be nice to live here all the time. I’m so jealous!

: And so you should be, young man! There’s something about this place that makes you feel like a new man.

: And with the village celebrating its 50th anniversary today, our timing couldn’t be better. Come to think of it, your Molentary Express turned 50 this year, didn’t it? Quite the coincidence.

: Still, it could have been fun to have a double anniversary celebration here at the festival.

: Well, we already have a grand 50th anniversary celebration planned at an exclusive venue in London.

: Oh, is that so? Well, I’m sure your party will be on a par with the excellence of your train.

: It will. And on that note, I’m afraid I’ll have to excuse myself. Good day to you, Mr Layton.

: Good day to you, Mr Beluga.

: My, it’s already a year since she passed away. Time truly does just fly by…

: Who do you think he was talking about, Professor?

: I haven’t the slightest idea, Luke.

Let’s move to the right and talk to this guy.

: Indeed we are. We were travelling on the Molentary Express, but we’ve stopped here for repairs.

: If you’re here for repairs, there’s only one place you could be headed, am I right?

: Only one place we could be headed? What do you mean, sir?

: Hmm? Oh, I, um, was just thinking out loud. Yep, just talking to myself. Forget about it. Here, did you notice the festival that’s going on today here in Dropstone? Today marks the 50th year since the founding of our village. Make sure you get in on the fun!

: The sunshine has me in such a good mood, I’m gonna go ahead and tell you a puzzle I’ve had tucked away.

B looks like it should fit together with its other half quite nicely.
D and another piece shaped like it would make a fine cube as well.
You’re down to two possible answers at this point. Choose the one that seems the least likely to fit with its twin.

: While we’re talking puzzles, have you ever heard about that mysterious puzzle-collecting lady? I hear she gathers and stores all the lost puzzles of the world. How she does it is a conundrum wrapped in an enigma-stuffed mystery. Y’know, a mystenigdrum.

Of course, a mystenigdrum. I’m curious how one would pronounce that. Anyways, we head north from here.

: I’ve never been to festival before. It’s wonderful!

: Oh, that’s right, Flora. I’d forgotten how you grew up in that one little village. Well, now’s your chance to make up for lost time. Let’s explore!

: Yes, let’s! Where should we go first?

: Ooh, let’s go look at that booth over there! I want to see what they’ve got!

: Wait for me!

: Ha ha ha! You two watch where you’re running or you’re liable to crash into something.

This cart has a puzzle for us.

Huh. I assume that veg is short for vegetables, but I don’t think I’ve heard it used like that.

: It probably belongs to the person running that little stand.

: Oh, but it looks like one of the wheels is dented. That must make it difficult to move.

: Yeah, I bet it’s a real pain.

: Oh, but you know, that reminds me of a puzzle about a dented wheel…

This wheel’s shape is essentially a triangle with the corners rounded off. Since the axle is positioned close to one of the cornets, you can expect the pattern it creates to be rather unconventional.
The axle is positioned far from the centre of the wheel, so you can expect the path it traces to contain an exaggerated up-and-down movement.
B and E are not the answer. Choose from the remaining three options, and don’t forget what you read in Hint Two!

: If you’ve got any more puzzles, I’ve got answers! I’m impressed you knew a puzzle like that. I’d never heard that one before.

: Well, I try my best to impress the professor! Hehe.

If you haven’t worked it out yet, this is going to be one of those updates where we knock out all the random puzzles lying around a new location.

: Oh, it’s a fairground game.

: I tell you what, since business is so slow right now, the first try is on me.

: Gosh, really mister? Come on, Flora, we can try together!

Don’t trust your eyes! This puzzle contains an optical illusion.
Instead of looking at this one straight on, try rotating your Nintendo DS a little so that you have a diagonal view of the puzzle.
Here’s an interesting bit of trivia. This particular optical illusion is known as the Poggendorff Illusion.

: Really? Gosh, thank you!

How… generous. That’s the sixth part. How the hell did parts of Sammy’s camera end up here?

On the right, we find another person with a puzzle.

: What seems to be the problem, madam?

: My sweet little bird fell down a hole in the ground. I want to help the poor thing, but I just can’t reach her. Do you have any ideas?

: I believe there’s something we can try.

Each tunnel branches off in a number of directions, so you may have trouble processing everything if you’re relying on your eyes alone. Use your stylus and trace each route to get a better understanding of each tunnel.
The wrong tunnels all split off in a number of directions, but the tunnel you’re looking for will reconverge into a single path before it reaches the exit.
All the paths stemming from tunnel A take you deeper into the ground or into the snake’s den.

: I wish I had some way of thanking you properly… Oh, I know! Here, you can have this tea set and these lovely herbs. Take ‘em, I insist!

And here’s our final minigame. Making tea. Laurel also gives us three starter ingredients - Oasis Leaf, Brisk Berry, and Citronia Seed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ztJTFfAYY

Here’s the summary: Combine three ingredients to make one of twelve types of tea. How do you find out what combinations make new teas? There are two ways. One - guess. For instance, you might think that since teas take three ingredients and we just got three ingredients, we could make a tea with one measure of each. And you’d be correct, as shown in the video above. This isn’t a good way to do it when we get more ingredients, as there are a lot of possible combinations. The second way will be explained a bit later in the update.

: Well, it’s a bit too sweet for me, but I understand why so many children enjoy it.

: I think I could drink a whole pot of this stuff by myself. Just watch me!

: Ha ha ha! You’ve got quite the sweet tooth, Luke. Just try not to drink it too fast.

This is another tea we can make with one measure of Oasis Leaf and two measures of Brisk Berry.

This is the message you get when you combine three measures of the same ingredient. If you are discovering teas by guessing, it’s useful to know that you can’t make tea using only one ingredient.

: Why not take a sip and find out for yourself?

: Eww! I think I’ll give this one a miss.

: Where did I go wrong? I was so sure I’d brewed something good, too.

Layton and Luke also have some fun commentary when you fail to make a good tea.

After we head back to the trunk, there’s a “HELP!” over the tea set. What’s that about?

You’ll notice that the “Tea Time” in the lower-right has been replaced with “HELP!”

And this is the second method. Over the course of the game, various characters will ask us to brew them some tea. When they do so, they will give us hints about the ingredients of teas in their requests, much like Layton is doing here (though most will be less explicit than this).

We’ll serve Layton the Citrus Classic.

Now that’s good tea! Layton seems restored and in high spirits. You found a hint coin at the bottom of the tea cup!

And Laurel has another puzzle for us.

: See, I’m trying to wrap this flower I grew to give to a friend. I’ve got green fingers when it comes to plants, but I’m all thumbs when it comes to wrapping. Help an old gal out, would you?

Pay attention to the direction and starting point of each diagrammed fold.
Since the green edge on the wrapping paper will be obscured as you roll up the paper in A and D, you can throw out both these answers.
You’re left with only two options at this point, so focus on the direction of the wrapping, and you’ll soon find the solution.

: I’m sure you know the basics of brewing, yes? Put in one measure of each of the three ingredients I gave you to make a nice cup of Citrus Classic tea. However, there’s a lot of room for experimentation. For example, try brewing two parts Brisk Berry with one part something else. Get it right and you’ll make a sweet, crisp tea that is just wonderful. If you happen to pick up any other tea herbs, try creating more blends of your own. There’s a whole world of complex flavours waiting to be discovered. You just to find them.

It occurs to me that I might not have explained the hamster minigame as well as I could have, so now that we can lower our hamster’s level I’ll give a better example.

First, here’s the flower. It’s identical to the house.

And here’s a setup for a nine step workout. There are any number of combinations you could use for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFA3EbnJ9g

Even the trees have puzzles here. What a great place to live.

: With a structure like that, it must be quite old. I wonder how long it’s been here. Oh, Luke, our little conversation reminded me of a puzzle I know. Care to hear it?

: Why not?

It’s a simple question, so try not to overthink it.
The puzzle has set a trap for you in its wording. There are no outright lies, but you will need to read carefully.
Just draw a line between the two trees with the greatest amount of space between them. ...No one ever said you had to choose two trees directly adjacent to one another.

Gonna end the update here since we've hit seven puzzles.

Puzzles in this Update:

There’s nothing wrong with the dog.
The moon hanging in the sky and the lamppost are fine as is. Oh, and don’t bother searching the man in the foreground of the picture either.
The detail you’re searching for has to do with the train car. Once you’ve spotted it, you’re sure to shout, “There’s no way you could move it like that!”

B looks like it should fit together with its other half quite nicely.
D and another piece shaped like it would make a fine cube as well.
You’re down to two possible answers at this point. Choose the one that seems the least likely to fit with its twin.

This wheel’s shape is essentially a triangle with the corners rounded off. Since the axle is positioned close to one of the cornets, you can expect the pattern it creates to be rather unconventional.
The axle is positioned far from the centre of the wheel, so you can expect the path it traces to contain an exaggerated up-and-down movement.
B and E are not the answer. Choose from the remaining three options, and don’t forget what you read in Hint Two!

Don’t trust your eyes! This puzzle contains an optical illusion.
Instead of looking at this one straight on, try rotating your Nintendo DS a little so that you have a diagonal view of the puzzle.
Here’s an interesting bit of trivia. This particular optical illusion is known as the Poggendorff Illusion.

Each tunnel branches off in a number of directions, so you may have trouble processing everything if you’re relying on your eyes alone. Use your stylus and trace each route to get a better understanding of each tunnel.
The wrong tunnels all split off in a number of directions, but the tunnel you’re looking for will reconverge into a single path before it reaches the exit.
All the paths stemming from tunnel A take you deeper into the ground or into the snake’s den.

Pay attention to the direction and starting point of each diagrammed fold.
Since the green edge on the wrapping paper will be obscured as you roll up the paper in A and D, you can throw out both these answers.
You’re left with only two options at this point, so focus on the direction of the wrapping, and you’ll soon find the solution.

It’s a simple question, so try not to overthink it.
The puzzle has set a trap for you in its wording. There are no outright lies, but you will need to read carefully.
Just draw a line between the two trees with the greatest amount of space between them. ...No one ever said you had to choose two trees directly adjacent to one another.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Accursed Walrus posted:

I'm sure there's a good way to figure these out without guess and check (and someone should tell me if there is), but that's all I've got for these.

The way I solved that one was by this reasoning:

First, let's look at the uncut piece. It's 8 squares tall and 10-11 squares wide (10 at the base, 11 at the widest point). I'm guessing that we'll need to cut a more-or-less vertical line, then rotate the part on the right to slot it into place. Now, that little 2-square section on the far right is going to be a problem in most configurations. But, let's see, if I make a cut from the bottom so that there are just 6 squares in the bottom row of the left piece, then that right piece will be able to rotate 90° clockwise to make a bottom row of 8 squares. So that's the bottom row sorted out. Now, if we're rotating 90° clockwise, the next column from the right in the right-hand half, which has 5 squares in it, is going to become the right half of the second row -- which means I need to leave three squares in the left half of the second row. So my second-row cut will move over to the left and then go vertically between the 3rd and 4th columns. There are four of these 5-square columns in the right-hand half, so my cut will go up vertically by 4 rows. And now we're hitting parts where the right-hand half will be only 4 squares high given the cuts I've already drawn, so that means that starting at this vertical position in my cut, I need to go one space to the right before continuing to cut vertically, so that the left-hand side will be 4 squares long. Oh look, I've just hit another border, so the cut is complete. Let me take a look at it, and mentally separate & rotate that right-hand piece... yes, it fits. Okay, puzzle solved.

So by finding a good starting point for the solution, I was able to reason out segment-by-segment where each next cut would have to go.

Edit: To avoid double-posting, I'll edit my puzzle answers in below.

Puzzle 027: It's very hard to make out details at the picture's naturally low resolution, but it looks like the lower right corner of the window is visible to the right of the woman's back, under her cape (or cloak? Nah, it's too short to be a cloak). But that's way out of line with the vertical right-hand edge of the window, which runs along the left side of her hair. I think the unrealistic detail is the out-of-place window corner.

Puzzle 041: My intuition says that shape C would fail to form a cube, but I can't manage to prove it. My 3-D rotation skills aren't great.

Puzzle 028: Path A is the path that that axle would trace. One large swoop downwards as the point the axle is near heads to the ground, then a small swoop as that point gets rotated around, then a large swoop upwards as the point heads away from the ground.

Puzzle 029: This optical illusion makes you want to think that C is the arrow pointing to the sweets, but it's really B. And the fact that B is in a blue circle but points to an arrow with red fletching, while A is in a red circle but points to an arrow with blue fletching, approaches "just plain unfair" levels.

Puzzle 036: Tracing the path back from the snake, it connects directly to path A, so A is right out if the bird wants to get out alive. Path C meanders into itself forming loops but never gets anywhere, and path B leads safely to the exit.

Puzzle 032: Even with looking at all three hints, this just hits an absolute blind spot in my brain. I can't figure this one out without laying some real wrapping paper in front of me, trying all the possibilities, and seeing which one works. Some people are colorblind, and I'm apparently wrapping-blind or something.

Puzzle 034: I almost answered "A and B" because of the image's perspective, but really, A and E are the furthest apart since they're the two endpoints of the straight line of 5 trees. The trick is realizing that the puzzle didn't ask "which two adjacent trees have the greatest distance between them?"

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 28, 2015

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
27.There's not enough room for the window on the left to be slid up like that, it'd hit the roof of the train.
41.C, in order for it to work the triangle bit sticking out the top would have to be on the lower left corner instead of the upper right.
28.A, that short hop is when the corner closest to the axle hits the ground.
29.B, holding up a piece of paper or something up to the screen is the best way to solve this.
36.B
32.The starting corner is going to end up inside the roll more or less, so it's that corner right below the flower. Once you realize that it's obviously C.
34.A and E because they're at the ends of the line.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how there are some actual trick questions in with the rest of the puzzles.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Puzzling Times in Dropstone 2

I happen to be awful with spacial reasoning, but A and B are pretty clearly able to form a cube. D might take a few seconds to reason through, but knocking out D leaves C as the one that can't form a cube.

Bonus puzzle: What would the wheels that made the other trails look like?

Answer: I don't know, I'm still terrible with spacial reasoning.

Tax Refund posted:

The fact that B is in a blue circle but points to an arrow with red fletching, while A is in a red circle but points to an arrow with blue fletching, approaches "just plain unfair" levels.

I think this is more of an accident. Scroll back up to the previous puzzle - A is red, B is blue, and C is yellow. I checked a few more multiple choice puzzles and it seemed to be consistent. My guess is that someone drew up the art for the puzzle, the buttons were added with their default colours, and nobody checked to make sure that this made sense with the art.

Get a pencil and get to drawing. The Memo function is pretty useful here.

One of those "how closely did you read the puzzle description" puzzles.

The Tree Stump is functionally identical to the house and flower.

Anyways, we move left back to the place with the arrow game and then left again.

: My memory’s not what it used to be, but you’re not from around here, are you? Waiting for the train? How do I know, you ask? Well, this isn’t the first time it’s happened. As fancy as that train is, it must be in rotten shape. Chin up, sonny. More often than not, the train gets fixed in a few hours. What with the festival and all, there’s plenty to see and do here in the meantime.

There’s something that’s off about this, but I can’t quite put my finger on it…

: Thank you for the information. If I could trouble you for a moment, though, I’d like to ask about a relic known as the Elysian Box. You may also know it as Pandora’s Box.

: Ahem. I mean, oh dear me, I’ve never heard of the dreadful thing. Never, you hear?

: Hm?

: Hmph, well, I’m not sure if I want to talk to you any more. To be frank, I was in high spirits till you came along. Now I’m grumpier than a cat in the rain. If you want to prove you’re sorry for ruining my day, solve this here puzzle.

The correct solution doesn’t involve the golfer overshooting the hole.
There’s no reason our golfing friend should have to hit each putt straight toward the hold. Perhaps he could put his ball in a better position with a shot that travels diagonally.
Picture the golfer taking a diagonal shot relative to the hole. If he hits the ball exactly 11 metres and angles the shot so that this first putt puts him exactly halfway between his starting position and the hole… Do you see where this is going?

: You’ve got a good head on those shoulders, sonny. Mind you, you’d need one to wear that hat.

They’ve finished preparing, so we can head up to the main plaza.

: Ooh, I just love all the hustle and bustle. It’s so wonderful!

: Shall we take in some more of the plaza’s sights then?

: Definitely!

I can't decide if this guy has the thickest glasses ever or the thickest eyebrows ever.

: I heard you’ve been running around Dropstone asking questions, but you haven’t talked to me yet! If you solve this puzzle then I, the king of Dropstone trivia, will answer your questions.

Every time I do this puzzle I always think it should be worth more picarats.

The first portrait you choose should be of a man.
Move counteranticlockwise to find your answer.
The first portrait you should remove is the girl positioned at five o’clock.

: OK, ask away. If you’ve got any questions about the village or its history, I’m your man.

: It’s slightly off topic, but do you know anything about a relic known as the Elysian Box? You may have heard people referring to it as “Pandora’s Box” as well.

: Hm, it’s hard to believe, but you’ve gone beyond my area of expertise. I’ve never heard of the thing. What I can tell you is that older people in this village jump at the very mention of the supernatural. From what I gather, it seems they have some connection to the village in the days of its founding. Unfortunately, that’s all the info I can really give you on that subject. Sorry to let you down.

: It appears to be commemorating something. Let’s see what’s written on it...

This is why the update took a while to get out. Actually I recently returned to college and so I’ve just been busy. Okay actually one of my friends got me playing Skyrim again. We’ve got a puzzle that is different between the US and UK versions.

The puzzle text tells you that the sculptor engraved the wrong date into the stone, so you know that 12-8 isn’t the date Dropstone was founded.
Does the sculpture’s shape give you a clue into what it could have been converted? That big bowl and the opening at the top should indicate that this sculpture is now a fountain.
Though currently dry, the fountain’s big bowl is usually filled with water. Why don’t you take a moment to… reflect on this?

The puzzles aren’t very different.

The puzzle asks you to answer with a three-letter word. Say… part of the engraving is the three-letter word RED. That’s not just a coincidence, is it?
Imagine how things would look if you filled the wineglass part of the monument to the brim with water.
When the wineglass part of the monument is filled with water, the bottom half of the inscription “8-12” is submerged in water, and the top half casts a reflection on the water’s surface. Can you picture what that would look like?

And that’s it for UK/US exclusive puzzles!

No, really.

: 50 years sounds like a long time for a person, but I suppose it’s not very long for a village.

: Quite so. But this fact just invites more questions. Why did this settler come here in the first place? It’s hard to believe he or she simply set forth from their old residence to found a new village…

: Yup, but it looks like it’s closed for the day.

: Well, they probably wanted to give everyone a chance to enjoy today’s festivities. Luke, this reminds me of a puzzle set in front of a village hall like this one. Care to give it a go?

: You know I do, Professor!

Think about how many votes exist in the town, excluding the three cast by the candidates themselves.
Even the three candidates themselves have the right to vote. Of course, seeing as how each of them wants to win, it’s a given that the candidates will likely vote for themselves.
Forty votes, minus the three votes cast by the candidates, leaves you with 37 votes. Find the number of votes it takes to gain a majority in a pool of 37 voters, and add one additional vote to that sum to get your answer.

Moving to the right of the plaza gives us…

Cow balloons?

: It looks like the villagers are setting up for the livestock competition.

: Livestock competition?

: That sounds like fun!

: Yes, I’d certainly like to see the competition myself, but it doesn’t appear quite ready to start yet.

: While we’re waiting, can we go and see more of the village.

: Certainly. We can return later when the competition commences.

: Yay!

So we go left (back to the plaza), down (back to the arrow game), and right (back to where we got the tea).

: Don’t just come up to me and start talking like you know me, OK? I was dreaming up the world’s most amazing hat, but you came along and derailed my train of thought!

: Oh, I did? I’m sorry about that.

: Sorry, are you? Well, don’t just say it, prove it! By solving this amazing puzzle I thought up.

Start by placing a rain tile on each day where our friend didn’t wear a hat.
Once you place the rain tiles down as described in Hint 1, you may notice that there are no more places left for your cloud tile. You could place it down on one of the days with a hat if that day was the second day of cloudy weather in a row, but no two days in this week appear to have been cloudy…
If the weather was cloudy on the Sunday of the previous week, he could wear his hat on Monday.

Puzzles in this Update:

The correct solution doesn’t involve the golfer overshooting the hole.
There’s no reason our golfing friend should have to hit each putt straight toward the hold. Perhaps he could put his ball in a better position with a shot that travels diagonally.
Picture the golfer taking a diagonal shot relative to the hole. If he hits the ball exactly 11 metres and angles the shot so that this first putt puts him exactly halfway between his starting position and the hole… Do you see where this is going?

The first portrait you choose should be of a man.
Move counteranticlockwise to find your answer.
The first portrait you should remove is the girl positioned at five o’clock.

The puzzle text tells you that the sculptor engraved the wrong date into the stone, so you know that 12-8 isn’t the date Dropstone was founded.
Does the sculpture’s shape give you a clue into what it could have been converted? That big bowl and the opening at the top should indicate that this sculpture is now a fountain.
Though currently dry, the fountain’s big bowl is usually filled with water. Why don’t you take a moment to… reflect on this?

The puzzle asks you to answer with a three-letter word. Say… part of the engraving is the three-letter word RED. That’s not just a coincidence, is it?
Imagine how things would look if you filled the wineglass part of the monument to the brim with water.
When the wineglass part of the monument is filled with water, the bottom half of the inscription “8-12” is submerged in water, and the top half casts a reflection on the water’s surface. Can you picture what that would look like?

Think about how many votes exist in the town, excluding the three cast by the candidates themselves.
Even the three candidates themselves have the right to vote. Of course, seeing as how each of them wants to win, it’s a given that the candidates will likely vote for themselves.
Forty votes, minus the three votes cast by the candidates, leaves you with 37 votes. Find the number of votes it takes to gain a majority in a pool of 37 voters, and add one additional vote to that sum to get your answer.

Start by placing a rain tile on each day where our friend didn’t wear a hat.
Once you place the rain tiles down as described in Hint 1, you may notice that there are no more places left for your cloud tile. You could place it down on one of the days with a hat if that day was the second day of cloudy weather in a row, but no two days in this week appear to have been cloudy…
If the weather was cloudy on the Sunday of the previous week, he could wear his hat on Monday.

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Puzzle 52: that guy needs a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, gonna take a stab at some of them.

Puzzle 30 (US): The reflection will say that they were in BED, presumably with one hell of a hangover

Puzzle 30 (UK): And, by the same logic... 13-08?

Puzzle 37: 11 will overshoot, and is the only stroke that could have made it in 2, so it's not 2. Every variation of 3 strokes either goes under, or makes 21, so 3 isn't it. 4 is the minimum number of strokes. Proof?

11+11 = 22 (X)
7+7+7 = 21 (X)
11+7+3 = 21 (X)
11+5+5 = 21 (X)

11+3+3+3 = 20
7+7+3+3 = 20
5+5+5+5 = 20
5+5+7+3 = 20

Puzzle 47: There are 37 votes left after the candidates, so the fewest number of votes needed to win is 13 (36/3, plus the 1 left over)

Puzzle 52: Mon Cloudy, Tuesday Sunny, Wednesday Cloudy, Thursday Rainy, Friday Sunny, Saturday Rainy, Sunday Sunny

Puzzle 53: Okay, I'm having a git of a time checking, but it... should be the dude at 10'o'clock? (That's if I've read this right)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 1, 2015

• Locked thread