Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JB50 posted:

I like how my state (MN) recently got 190 million dollars to fix there hosed up MNSURE website.

Uhhhh maybe spend that money to cover people instead. Somebody make me governor.

Oregon had a better story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j500PjgzYhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

I like how my state (MN) recently got 190 million dollars to fix there hosed up MNSURE website.

Uhhhh maybe spend that money to cover people instead. Somebody make me governor.

at least you got a state exchange. you think dealing with the fed is better?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

don't bother dude, just compare the plans without being in your account, and call them to sign up. If you get someone who sounds like an idiot, hang up and call back until you get someone competent. Because some of the idiots WILL gently caress up and sign you up for the wrong plan.
Hmm. 400/month for a basic silver plan and a $2K deductible.

gently caress it. I'll put aside 200 per month and hope I don't get ebola.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Taima posted:

I don't even know what that is bitch i live in CA on the beach, im sure no one else here knows what that poo poo is either, Mason-Dicks-son is more like it

CA = Old Ho

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dolphin posted:

gently caress it. I'll put aside 200 per month and hope I don't get ebola.

get poorer

edit: but srsly make sure you calculate the prices with your income so you can see if you'll be eligible for tax credits and price reductions.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Beef Turret posted:

Have fun giving half your paycheck on private health insurance

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Does somebody have a PDF of a typical plan? I'd be curious to see what they actually cover. $400/month with a $2k deductible sounds ridiculous even factoring in you guys needing to pay to see a doctor.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

This is pretty good: my dad, who watches fox everyday and at least until recently used to listen to rush, signed me up for bluecross through the OBAMACARE DEATHPANEL site in order to save money over my previous Cobra plan. (I'm too incompetent to do it for myself, basically.) He had no problems and now my lovely American healthcare coverage costs less.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Does somebody have a PDF of a typical plan? I'd be curious to see what they actually cover. $400/month with a $2k deductible sounds ridiculous even factoring in you guys needing to pay to see a doctor.

The bronze plans are 4k to 5k lol

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
The plans & subsidies are designed so that the second-cheapest Silver plan costs no more than 9.5% of your income (what is considered "affordable") so the only way the cheapest Silver plan is 400/month is if you make over ~45k as a single person w/ no dependents or spouse, or something else on your application is precluding you from a subsidy ie indicating on the application that you have coverage through an employer or receive Medicare benefits for being old or disabled.

e: and while Silver plans do have deductibles there are only certain things which require paying through the deductible. A doctor's visit or generic prescription is a co-pay only on a Silver plan, whereas infrequent or emergency services may require you pay towards your deductible.

I don't have insurance through the ACA but I've had to familiarize myself with it quite a bit.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 16, 2015

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dolphin posted:

You're middle class, I see. You have two choices: Get health insurance and become poor, or don't get health insurance and become poor if you get sick.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

1500quidporsche posted:

The plans vary by area because they're offered by your local insurance companies. There is no actual "obamacare plan" because all obamacare did was create an open marketplace where people can buy insurance from private insurance companies. So I can show you what I can get in my area, but that's totally different than what you can get. The insurance companies still control most everything, except now they have to offer it to everyone, and some other things like the birth control mandate etc.

A $400/month plan with a $2k deductible is pretty standard or ANY insurance plan, including those offered by employers. The difference is that most employers subsidize their employee's plans privately, dropping the monthly premium and deductible to whatever rate they want their employees to pay.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
If you don't treat your body like a disposable commodity you don't need good health insurance anyway

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Remember when Obama made the speech during the government shutdown about the website being tested and open for business?

After getting out of office he should just work on kickstarter campaigns.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

etalian posted:

The bronze plans are 4k to 5k lol

and they have the smallest premiums. designed for younger, healthier people who don't go to the doctor much. Nothing's stopping anyone from choosing a plan with a lower deductible. If your income is low enough, your deductible will be $0.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Human Crouton posted:

You're middle class, I see. You have two choices: Get health insurance and become poor, or don't get health insurance and become poor if you get sick.
I'm still young I think I'll keep my money and file for bankruptcy in the event of anything catastrophic. Then I'll blame taxpayers for not instituting a better healthcare system when I get blamed for the additional healthcare burden.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dolphin posted:

I'm still young I think I'll keep my money and file for bankruptcy in the event of anything catastrophic. Then I'll blame taxpayers for not instituting a better healthcare system when I get blamed for the additional healthcare burden.

You'll be paying a rather hefty fine at tax time next year, so you might as well just get a bronze plan or something. It may even be cheaper than the penalty.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I figured that they would vary by insurance co but I just wanted to get a sense of what's being offered to you for $400/month.

Thats an insane amount of money and I've only come across a rate like that for an individual plan once up here. And that was a loaded plan for a group of really old employees.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The United States is a veritable shithole rofl

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

You'll be paying a rather hefty fine at tax time next year, so you might as well just get a bronze plan or something. It may even be cheaper than the penalty.
Eh, $350 bucks next year. That's less than 1 month of insurance.

1500quidporsche posted:

I figured that they would vary by insurance co but I just wanted to get a sense of what's being offered to you for $400/month.

Thats an insane amount of money and I've only come across a rate like that for an individual plan once up here. And that was a loaded plan for a group of really old employees.
2 people.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 16, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheSlutPit posted:

The United States is a veritable shithole rofl

also owns how the DNC runs away from the New Deal/Great Society legacy and just tries to out republican the republicans.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

1500quidporsche posted:

You can go to healthcare.gov and browse the plans, just put in a zip code or whatever.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

1500quidporsche posted:

It depends on your state but you pay less if you make less. I got $118/month with a $1500 deductible.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

quote:

High cost and infrequent services (e.g. Hospital Stay): 20% of your plan’s negotiated rate

Wow you have to pay 20% of any catastrophic claims? On top of $400/month and a $2k deductible? How is the country not rioting over this?

Edit: typing up poo poo on a smartphone is hard

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 16, 2015

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

my state hates free healthcare so much we re-elected a guy who had to pay a 600 million dollar fine for scamming old peoples medicare

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Woe you have to pay 20% of any catastrophic claims? On top of $400/month and a $2k deductible? How is the country not rioting over this?

we simple peasants have no right to question our social betters, for that is the way of things

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

Woe you have to pay 20% of any catastrophic claims? On top of $400/month and a $2k deductible? How is the country not rioting over this?
Actually it's a 3k deductible, I forgot to add myself at first.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

at least you got a state exchange. you think dealing with the fed is better?

I already had insurance because I have a real job.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

You can go to healthcare.gov and browse the plans, just put in a zip code or whatever.

How much do you get paid to defend this poo poo?

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Wow you have to pay 20% of any catastrophic claims? On top of $400/month and a $2k deductible? How is the country not rioting over this?

It's a little bit better than that, although not a ton. If you have the plan described, you would be responsible for the first $2k of your hospital stay (provided you had up until that point paid zero dollars towards your deductible, meaning no previous doctor's visits, no prescriptions, nada). Then, after satisfying the yearly deductible, you are responsible for 20% of cost of the hospital stay. There is typically an out-of-pocket maximum of $6250 for the year, meaning once you've spent that much on co-pays, deductibles, and co-insurance combined, the insurance company is responsible for 100% of your medical costs (other than your monthly premium) for the remainder of the calendar year. In order to reach that in a single hospital stay you would've had to incur a $23,000+ medical bill in a single hospital stay. Of that you would be responsible for $6250, and the insurance company picks up the tab on all co-pays and co-insurance for the rest of the year.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 16, 2015

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
they should have hosted with CloudFlare

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
why is the us healthcare system so hosed up?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

How much do you get paid to defend this poo poo?

let the grown ups discuss things that you don't know about

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 16, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

1500quidporsche posted:

$400/month is not a catastrophic plan. those have much lower premiums. just go look at plans on the website

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Rambling Robot posted:

why is the us healthcare system so hosed up?
Because insurance companies had a shitfit when Truman tried to institute public healthcare and instead we got HMOs. America is like Russia in that it has a bad habit of getting on really high notes and then screwing itself over just when it seems like it might turn a corner.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 16, 2015

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

$400/month is not a catastrophic plan. those have much lower premiums. just go look at plans on the website

I think they mean catastrophic in the sense of catastrophic injury/illness, not catastrophic coverage.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Dolphin posted:

Eh, $350 bucks next year. That's less than 1 month of insurance.

2 people.

loving lol

gently caress this gay country

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I get full hospital coverage for $150 a month and that's my story I hope you enjoyed it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Highbrow Slick posted:

I think they mean catastrophic in the sense of catastrophic injury, not catastrophic coverage.

oh, dur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

let the grown ups discuss things that you don't know about

Sorry I dont need the govt to give me healtcare.

• Locked thread