Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Newest Thing: The Final Jerk [url=A last, lingering stare]

Current Vote: No votes right now. Why not help us unlock the mysteries of the spell board?

Oh boy oh boy, here we go.

WARNINGS AND ETC.
This is kind of a gritty game. I'll be editing out any nudity, but expect language, rough situations, abuse, domestic and otherwise, prostitution, and all the like. Don't play this LP to your gramma, unless she's a mean old cuss.

~Intro~

~Main LP~ / ~Let's Hush~

~Dumb bonus stuff~

Stupid extra dubb'd version of Chapter 7

For those who thought Bigby was a little too mean in Chapter 16

Once you've finished the whole LP...

~Big Bad - Jerkruns, each video is one chapter's worth. Watch the main LP first for this to make more sense.~

~Starewolf - Silent runs, wherein Bigby says nothing that he doesn't have to. Fables are left to draw their own conclusions. ~

~The Book of Fables~

UP TOP QUICK SUMMARY OF THREADIQUETTE: NO SPOILERS AT ALL, NO DISCUSSION OF THE COMIC OUTSIDE OF SPOILER TEXT

Bacter, what is this nonsense?

This, is THE WOLF AMONG US, a Telltale Adventure Game. You'll at least know Telltale as the ones who put out a decent Walking Dead game, and if you know anything about that, you'll know the basic setup of this game - basically, the plot flies at you quickly, you're called on to make impossible decisions, and there's no success, just shades of failure. Well, there is SOME success, but boy will you sacrifice to get it! This is the Fables setting.

Fine, alright, so what is Fables?

I go into this in the Intro video - Fables is a comic book series by Vertigo Comics, written by Bill Willingham, who's done a bunch of other stuff but is mostly known for Fables and Elementals. In a nutshell, Fables are public domain fairy tale characters booted from their homeland by a mysterious Adversary. They're living a secret life in New York as a hardcrabble refugee community, enchanting themselves to appear human. You play as Bigby Wolf (Big B. Wolf, THE Big Bad Wolf), the ad hoc police force of Fabletown.

How is the comic?

Well, it's alright. I like the game more than the comic series, truth be told - this is a more personal story. Fables #1 is basically exactly like the game, and from then on it takes on a broader scope - looking at big political manoeuvrings, the epic fate of a bunch of fables, etc. etc. I will also say that just about halfway through the comic series they solved what was The Major Problem (the mysterious adversary), and my enthusiasm dwindled SIGNIFICANTLY after that. But it's fine, I'd recommend giving it a read if you get the chance.

Alright whatever. Anything we need to know from the comic series for this game?

Nope! Game's set about a year before the comic starts. I'll give you all the background you need.

Sure. Um, any thread etiquette we should keep in mind?

Yep. I'm making this big so's everybody can see.

NO SPOILERS ABOUT THE GAME. This should be obvious. This is a mystery game, and we'll be solving things. Knowing what happens in the future will ruin it. Don't talk about stuff we haven't seen. If you haven't played the game or looked up spoilers, feel free to speculate though.

NO DISCUSSION ABOUT SPECIFIC EVENTS IN THE COMIC OUTSIDE OF SPOILER TAGS. This one is probably less obvious, and, honestly, is a harder call for me, but the game is set before the comic, and if we know who's around in the comic, we'll know who survives the game. Also the two don't REALLY relate, I mean, you can see personalities fleshed out in the comic that are alluded to here, but nothing's super critical.

So what are you gonna be doing in this 'ol LP?

Glad you asked! Here's what I've got planned:

1) The main LP - this is me playing through as Good Bigby, with commentary
2) Let's Hush - this is basically a LongPlay - the game is pretty atmospheric, so you might want to just be able to watch it without me blabbering on. This is just the main LP without commentary

3a) The Other Side - This'll be a (edited for shortness) look at what happens if we make different decisions, or if we're a huge jerk instead of being good Bigby
3b) Half-Wolf - As in Half-life. This'll be an (also edited for shortness) comedy run where I pick the "......." option for every dialogue choice. Gordon Bigby.

4) The Book of Fables - This'll include both the entries from the book of Fables we find in-game, and some short video segments diving deeper into mythology as well as the very modern concerns touched on in the game!

5) Nightlong - you can't escape. it.

So that's that! Join me, won't you, while we tear through one of my favorite games of the recent past. I like the story,

Bacter fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Reserved for etc.

Watching a pro goon (oxymoron ha ha) is all well and good, but what about a dadplay? What happens when dad jokes meet the seamy underbelly of fairy tale New York? Shoeless's dad obliges us!

BOOK OF FABLES - this'll contain information about the various persons, places, and things that we encounter. If you're new to this thread and we're pretty far in, this constitutes SPOILERS. Well, just the picture aren't spoilers, but don't click on 'em, dummy! I'll mark which ones go with which chapter, so you'll know which are safe. (And if you're following along with the thread, you can check 'em as soon as we get 'em with no real fear. After all, you could do that in-game, too!)

Kobanya did an awesome job translating the Latin from the (in-game) Book of Symbols!

RickVoid talks about chapter 1 Tarot!

RickVoid goes into the Tarot cards for chapter 2!

Tax Refund captured what Bigby decided not to, for some reason.

Tax Refund delves into the handbook!

Thesaya gets sucked into the weird research vortex, explains weregild

Archwizard breaks down what Starewolf's all about :

Kobanya is a more thorough investigator than Bigby, records the spell board.

This is a still-life that I call "The Agony of Having Friends", alternatively titled "YES, I STILL AM. THANK YOU."

In case you were tired of watching a GOOD game,

And when you're sick of that bad game:

Tax Refund further explores the content of the board

Bacter fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters? That's seriously a thing?
Anyway, I was really looking forward to this thread, as it's for one of the games I always wanted to get around to playing but never managed to. Glad to see you're doing multiple playthroughs too.
edit: From the first video, this looks pretty amazing. Digging the music too.
One thing bothering me is why does every single womenfablefolk wear those ridiculous heels.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Okay, one question before I start watching: is this going to end up the same way as your Guacamelee LP?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 16, 2015

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
I think this is a very good game and I think you are a very good LPer, Bacter. I'm both sad and glad to see such a straightforward approach devoid of the beautiful nightmares of your Laura Bow LP, or... that one thing we don't talk abo

Bacter posted:

5) Nightlong - you can't escape. it.

... :ohdear: This is the worst thing that could have happened

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
This is 100% the best game Telltale has done and I can't wait for the 2nd season to come out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gridlocked posted:

This is 100% the best game Telltale has done and I can't wait for the 2nd season to come out.

So long as they keep it in the noir genre and don't follow the comic's batshittery, it is something I would look forward to. Even though the ending to this... didn't mesh as well as everything else.

Edit: I'd suggest subtitles be switched on, it can be hard to differentiate between what you're saying and the game's dialogue.

Edit Edit: Note the spoof movie poster of COBRA

Samovar fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 16, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Okay, one question before I start watching: is this going to end up the same way as your Guacamelee LP?

Can't say. My Guacamelee LP isn't over yet! :cool:

I know this isn't the standard thing, and, to be honest, I don't like doing it it, but I do admit there might be some long breaks - they don't mean I've taken an LP behind the shed or anything. I don't give myself toxx clauses or whateve for a reason - I love doing LPs, I don't get paid for doing LPs, and those two facts mean I just don't release unless I'm ready to.

PLEASE NOTE, I'm not wanting to come across like Neil Gaiman in that one interview he did about release dates and the purity of art meaning nobody gets to expect anything of me, I'm just saying that, while I welcome occasional kicks in the pants to get moving, long delays don't equate to LP abandonment in Bacterland. The plain fact is, I've been recording Baldur's Gate and playing Gauntlet with Mzbundifund, and the next Guac update's been in hibernation. It should be released soon though! M...maybe because of your post, or MAYBE I WAS PLANNING IT ALL ALONG?!

Ok the long story is work got nuts so I really barely had time for one LP, and I was having too much fun with Discworld Noir to not make that the one. Anyway though, don't be surprised to see a muscly man soon!

anilEhilated posted:

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters? That's seriously a thing?

One thing bothering me is why does every single womenfablefolk wear those ridiculous heels.

Oh yes. It took some serious restraint not to make my critique of gritty reboots not just that trailer, overlaid with my strangled, furious screams.

And shoes: I imagine it's going for the noir thing - dressed to kill and all that.

Samovar posted:

So long as they keep it in the noir genre and don't follow the comic's batshittery, it is something I would look forward to. Even though the ending to this... didn't mesh as well as everything else.

Edit: I'd suggest subtitles be switched on, it can be hard to differentiate between what you're saying and the game's dialogue.

Edit Edit: Note the spoof movie poster of COBRA

In order:

Yes, but I'm worried. Seeing as this is all set before the comic starts, it's hard to really have anything be at stake. What I'd love is this being an alternate continuity.

Done, and the silent version of this update'll be out tonight.

I plan on showing off a lot of little details, but any help I get will be much appreciated!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 16, 2015

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
Man oh man, so excited! Some Telltale Games haven't exactly grabbed me, mostly the older ones, but this one just looks phenomenal.

I haven't played this, but I think I recognize the story the girl comes from. Not at all what I expected from the idea of Fabletown, but it's a good hook either way. It also might explain a lot about the mystery and who can, and can't, be the murderer. Looking forward to the moment when I am proven right / sit in silent shame at being wrong.

(I also feel like watching this will make me unable to read the Mr. Toad books again without hearing him cussing out his kids.)

Edit: Aaaargh, I can't keep it secret! It's Laura BOW! :eng101: I'm sorry, Bacter. :eng99:

Edit Edit: It's okay, it's a Bacter joke. But now I want to know about vvvv

HeadGrenade fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 16, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

This is now canon. This is also funny in ways you won't appreciate until the end of the LP. May God have mercy on our souls.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't read the spoiler but I honestly have no idea what tale that girl is from. Hopefully we'll puzzle it out at some point. That tie and general manner seemed rather... catty to me.
Oh, and Mr. Toad: he's not exactly a folktale, is he? I'm fairly sure those are reasonably modern children's books. Is this significant in any way?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Not really, no. The game takes a few characters from more than folklore and fairy tales, but it's not really anything to dwell on.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
Okay, now I feel like I screwed up my post, because it either is a joke post, or not, depending on whether you read it. Spoiler's a joke, but the post isn't.

I'm thinking on the Mr. Toad thing, it's between public domain (so the creators don't get upset, even if the writer is free to right about it), and stories we know as kids that can be twisted for that feeling of intrigue Bacter mentioned in the intro. I would probably feel fine if they threw in Ananzi the Spider because I grew up reading his stories.

I don't think the girl fits the traditional idea of a fable either, but from what I can tell she was from a tale that was repeated occasionally, the same way Aesop's fables and things were; less story, more short narrative moral.

I do hope the story the character comes from is explained sooner rather than later, since it's really not that interesting compared to all the other ideas this game story has going for it. But kudos to the research team for coming up with a really good mysterious fable story that I think is totally legit and out there. Although, I'm sad that Cinderella has a glass -- not a fur -- shoe store.

Edit to move silly speculation below.

HeadGrenade fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 16, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I don't have any problem with speculation whatsoever. To me, the only spoiler is talking about what you know to be true. In fact, I don't think you needed to spoiler tag any of that.

So, basically: no discussion of what you know is coming because you've played the game or seen it played, even in spoilertags. Speculation needn't be tagged.

Basically, the only time I could see people speculating in spoilertags would be If you're the first post after an update and you say OH MAN I CAN'T BELIEVE THE KILLER WAS HUMPTY DUMPTY or whatever.

If you do Know what's coming, you can give some vague hints if you feel like it, but always do so by pointing out something anybody could have noticed. As in "but the killer couldn't be HUMPTY DUMPTY, didn't you guys notice the "no eggs allowed" sign?"

That means no "I have a feeling that X Is true" if it's a big plot twist that you only know because you've seen it. It's just etiquette! I guess this system is ripe for exploitation if there's a liar who wants to seem super smart, but, you know, come on.

And yes, believe me, finding out the identity of the Jane Doe is a Top Priprity for Bigby right now!

Also, not that I'm saying that this is the type of game where a throwaway line like "I feel like we've met before" might be important, but.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 16, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's good, a lot of fun from the Dicworld Noir thread was (at least to me) the variously wild speculations about whodunit.

HeadGrenade posted:

Although, I'm sad that Cinderella has a glass -- not a fur -- shoe store.
Yeah, well, I'm kinda glad of that one, game seems adult-only enough without going into the origin of that particular object.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
Okay, since I have nothing to do while waiting for laundry to finish . . . Rampant speculation!

I am going to put my internet reputation on the line and say that the girl is the woman from the story The Velvet Ribbon (or green ribbon, or whatever your version was called). You can find a few version of the story here., considering the decapitation, ribbon, and sex-worker instead of bride because this is a mature, gritty story. What proof do I have beyond that? Absolutely nothing. But I stand by it!

However, knowing how she dies in the story, we can therefore posit that none of the people who didn't know her (the huntsman, Snow, Bigby, and perhaps Toad) could have killed her. Therefore, the murderer is someone who knows her, or who has been lying about not knowing her so far. Also, we can eliminate the huntsman and Bigby from a narrative perspective, as the game is likely not trolling or avant-guard enough to make the player character or the obvious first character the villain.

As for the line "I feel like we've met before," her "we all sort of knew each other, once," feels like it covers for that. Of course, it could be nothing. Or it could be something. I don't know; I never said I knew who she was in the story, just where she was from. And I look forward to being proven completely wrong.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, well, I'm kinda glad of that one, game seems adult-only enough without going into the origin of that particular object.

Is there more to it than "translation error"? That's how I heard about how it turned from fur to glass.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

HeadGrenade posted:

Is there more to it than "translation error"? That's how I heard about how it turned from fur to glass.
That, at least, is a fable in its own right.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HeadGrenade posted:

Google psychological interpretation of Cinderella or something, there's bound to be tons of the stuff. I guess I stick to this type of fairy tale logic because of my background. The whole fur thing reinforces that, but since it's apparently wrong, it's just good old folktale symbolism.

edit: VVV That one I know. Bigby is one tough motherfucker so the lumberjack doesn't take him head-on, he waits until he sleeps, cuts him open letting the eaten women out, then fills him with stones. Wolf wakes up, feels thirsty and either loses balance or gets shoved into a well or river. The logistics are kinda wonky but hey, fairy tales.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 17, 2015

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
So apparently the Big Bad Wolf in Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf in the Three Little Pigs were the same guy... who knew. This LP makes me wish I was a bit more knowledgeable about fairy tales so I could catch the references when they're made. I mean 'I cut your stomach open and filled it with stones' that's a version of Red Riding Hood I never heard.

Liking your LP style Bacter, but I agree with the guy who said subtitles would be nice, assuming you aren't omitting them for immersion reasons or somesuch.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Having seen Hansel & Gretel, the take away I had was less "grim dark retelling!" and more, you know, "goofy as all poo poo". It absolutely refused to take itself seriously and it mostly seemed like the cast was having fun with it. So, yeah, it was marketed as grim and serious and then you get in to it and it's Hawkeye having to inject himself with a massive hypodermic to keep his "sugar sickness" at bay. Not a great movie, nor even a good one. But it was fun.

Still! Yay for being on the ground floor of your new LP! Always like how you're always having fun with 'em.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

HeadGrenade posted:

Okay, since I have nothing to do while waiting for laundry to finish . . . Rampant speculation!

I am going to put my internet reputation on the line and say that the girl is the woman from the story The Velvet Ribbon (or green ribbon, or whatever your version was called). You can find a few version of the story here., considering the decapitation, ribbon, and sex-worker instead of bride because this is a mature, gritty story. What proof do I have beyond that? Absolutely nothing. But I stand by it!

I don't think I've ever seen that story before! But now I'm wondering, if she is the girl from the story, would she come back to life if someone tied her head back onto her neck with the ribbon? Maybe this is her faking her own death to set Bigby on someone?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that would be part of Manipulating Noir Protagonists 101, but our major plot murder not being a murder would feel pretty disappointing. Still drawing a blank on who that woman is - the whole "I've seen you before" line seems highly suspect but I don't remember any story about a wolf and a... what could she be under that glamor, a cat?
edit: Oh, yeah, Bacter, nice avatar. That sure went fast.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

anilEhilated posted:

Google psychological interpretation of Cinderella or something, there's bound to be tons of the stuff. I guess I stick to this type of fairy tale logic because of my background. The whole fur thing reinforces that, but since it's apparently wrong, it's just good old folktale symbolism.

edit: VVV That one I know. Bigby is one tough motherfucker so the lumberjack doesn't take him head-on, he waits until he sleeps, cuts him open letting the eaten women out, then fills him with stones. Wolf wakes up, feels thirsty and either loses balance or gets shoved into a well or river. The logistics are kinda wonky but hey, fairy tales.

Which makes it sort of even more sad that he's in a fit about not being recognized for his grand heroism here: he didn't have a dramatic fight, he snuck up on him while he was asleep. That's all he has.
The comic's explanation for Bigby surviving the whole occaison is one I always found pretty entertaining (This counts as 'stuff from the comic,' but is not a super-duper level spoiler, for those debating whether or not to mouse over): He held his breath, and eventually passed the stones. What, you think Mr. 'I'll huff and puff and blow your house down' doesn't have good lung capacity?

Anyway, I'm excited by this; I was actually a fan of fables, even past the "Well, uh...There went the major plot" point -- I've lost interest since, but may go back at some point to see how it's been going. I've played a bit, but not terribly far. By the way, word to the wise: if you hear a fairytale name and, thinking, say, that you've heard it before and want to freshen up on it... Don't. It turns out that the Fables Wiki is not good at keeping major plot spoilers out of the little description that shows with a Google search.

D3m3 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 17, 2015

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013

inflatablefish posted:

But now I'm wondering, if she is the girl from the story, would she come back to life if someone tied her head back onto her neck with the ribbon? Maybe this is her faking her own death to set Bigby on someone?

I think that would be pretty cool, actually. Our major plot murder being a frame plot where the victim faked their own death to have us try and destroy someone else's life would be unique. Especially if she could reattach her head or something. "Victim as criminal" can be very compelling, it just depends on the writer's abilities to craft a good story to go with it.

anilEhilated posted:

Still drawing a blank on who that woman is - the whole "I've seen you before" line seems highly suspect but I don't remember any story about a wolf and a... what could she be under that glamor, a cat?

Well, that Bigby and Snow know each other well seems to say that fables can cross pretty easily, at least now. I assume a glamor could make you look like anyone; Bigby looks a little wolf-like, but if you didn't know he was a wolf, I could see plenty of other animals he could be, like a bear or a lion. So, really, the person under the glamor could be lots of different . . . okay, I'm starting to regret making that guess about who she was.

Do we ever get a good explanation on how glamors work? How to undo them? What you can look like? Do people like the Woodsman and Snow need glamors, since they already look human?

(Also, after reading both those analysis's on the fur slipper thing, I am really excited for being both wrong and seeing people super-analyze stories. It's like being back in college. That and the idea that the fairy godmother was originally CInderella's dead mom come back as a cow to help her.)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think a Glamour is less a complete transformation, and more of just hiding the more obvious elements. Beast still has funny ears, for exampe.

Given how Snow is wearing snowflake earrings, Cinderella has that shoe shop, it could be that they literally can't hide their entire identity. Toad in a glamour is probably still a fairly frog-like guy. Probably looks like Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HeadGrenade posted:

Do we ever get a good explanation on how glamors work? How to undo them? What you can look like? Do people like the Woodsman and Snow need glamors, since they already look human?

The game goes into a little about that, and so does the Book of Fables, but Fables that can pass as human already don't need glamors.

E: Bacter, feel free to tell me if I go a bit too far. I'm trying to keep away from any really plot-relevant info.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Funny you guys should ask - there's a Book of Fables post now!

Here's the entry on Glamours!

Well, my rule on Glamour info will probably be the same as regular spoilers: don't mention anything that might spoil stuff in the game, but little hints and corrections are fine. And of course, any uninformed speculation is totally welcome.

We will learn more about Glamours by the end of the game.

I will say this - Bigby and Snow White aren't glamoured. They're human enough on their own.

What D3m3 said. Remember what the girl said when Bigby's eyes turned yellow, "you aren't supposed to do that, are you?". So Bigby can go without glamour, but gets in trouble if he goes wolfen. Presumably that's what Woody was trying to accomplish.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 17, 2015

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh man, this is really good. I've never read any of the Fables comics but I was always interested in this game.

Speculation: the girl was one of Little Bo Peep's sheep. It would fit with her having known the wolf before, the ribbon (because don't people put cute bows and such on sheep, especially in such a cutesy fable as Little Bo Peep) and Peep being a madame with a stable of working girls would sort of fit the grim and gritty change.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

HeadGrenade posted:

Do people like the Woodsman and Snow need glamors, since they already look human?

While I'm not sure how well the story answers the rest of your questions, so I'm not going to try right now, this one's pretty safe: Nope. The name of the game is "Don't attract mundy attention," so anything that doesn't, or can get a way to keep that rule, is fine to be out where mundies might see them.

Edit: Well, there you go, I guess. F;B.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Just beat this game a week or two ago. loving awesome game. Can't wait to see your take on it.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

Bacter posted:

I'll be editing out any nudity

Why?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Let me tell you a story from my youth.

When I was just a lad, bacterdad's parents came into town. They lived across the country, and sometimes overseas, so this was rare.

It was summer, and at night they'd sit out on the back porch talking to bacterdad and bactermom. My room was right above the porch on the second floor, so unbeknownst to them I could crack my window open and listen in.

I especially remember the night before they went home, because they were talking about me (what can I say, kids are egomaniacs). They asked about school and friends an such, and then they asked how my parents liked parenting - how it was being my parents.

There was a long pause, and I crept to the window and looked down. Bacterdad was thinking about how to saywhat he was feeling, and finally settled on: "it's good. It's very good. Let me put it this way. Bacter has his ups and downs, just like any kid, and so do we, but at the end of the day, I know, I KNOW, that I could walk into any thread of his, day or night, and not see a bunch of cartoon boobs just hanging out in the breeze, just in my face for no reason. That's the kind of guy he is." There were approving murmurs, and I felt like I was ten feet tall.

So in situations like this, I look back on that day, and I just try not to disappoint my dad, you know?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, and Mr. Toad: he's not exactly a folktale, is he? I'm fairly sure those are reasonably modern children's books. Is this significant in any way?

Just because it's fairly recent (1908) and written down doesn't mean it isn't folklore.

Bacter answered this sufficiently, but Youtube would remove videos with nudity in it once they get a sniff of it through someone reporting it.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

edit: Waffleman is right.

Pyrogenesis fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 17, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Let it the gently caress go, dude.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

Just because it's fairly recent (1908) and written down doesn't mean it isn't folklore.
Not, but it having a single author does. The cue is in the name.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, the definition of fable we're working with is basically "public domain fantasy character for kids". So encyclopedia brown wouldn't be here, because he's not fantasy enough, but the velveteen rabbit totally would. Or Paul Bunyon and babe, and they'd probably have a meth habit.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013

Bacter posted:

Or Paul Bunyon and babe, and they'd probably have a meth habit.

Polaron posted:

[Little Bo] Peep being a madame with a stable of working girls would sort of fit the grim and gritty change.

These both feel like they should be things. Is that weird? I mean, it seems like most of the (morally) good character's we've seen so far are just, "Hey, remember these characters from when you grew up? How they were great and awesome? Well, they done hosed up and their lives are shambles."

Granted, Snow seems to be doing well, and we have no reason to think Beauty and Beast are totally FUBAR in their lives, and it's gritty reboot plus noir; but, does anyone have a decent-to-good life? I don't actually expect an answer, just thinking out loud. Plus, you know, one episode in.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, Toad was never exactly on top of things in the wind in the Willows... lot his hall to the Weasels, crashed his car...

That said, it's not exactly a grim and gritty reboot of the fairy tales... it's more that these things did happen to these people, but now they live in New York with all that weird history. So Bo Peep, if she were a brothel madam, wasn't always that. She used to be a shepherdess who lost her sheep that one time. But now she's got to do something else to earn a living.

So the woodsman wasn't always a drunken violent bastard. He's just turned that way from trying to make ends meet when his skillset is chopping down trees with an axe and cutting up wolves. Not much demand for that these days.

Then again... I have to wonder if Beast actually needs a glamour. His story ended with turning back into Prince Charming. But he's got his weird face going on... are some of the fables from unfinished tales? What's with that?

Edit: also, Bigby probably has one hell of a case of confirmation bias. If sleeping Beauty and her prince are living happily with no troubles, they're not going to need the sheriff or whatever he is to come over all that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
I was so certain that the ribbon was an anchor for Jane Doe's glamour (and was put on her against her will), but apparently not, since it's gone from her neck and she still looks the same. Maybe because it's still tied on... the lower part of her neck?

Or maybe it's what kept her "lips sealed". And it prevented her from telling Bigby 2 things: what exactly she was doing at Woodsman's (so the real answer is something other than "he picked me up from my working corner and then refused to pay") and who she worked for. And then recognizing the ribbon as an enchanted object was supposed to be a good enough answer for Bigby to get something out of it ("I'm answering them the best that I can"), so presumably it's not a thing any old glamour-peddler can sell you on the street, then. So... some witch with power enough to control someone's voice was using her to run some dubious errands?

I vaguely remember some fairytales where an evil magic-user can steal one's voice, but none where one can be selectively prevented from talking about specific things, but it's not a big leap from one ability to the other.

• Locked thread