Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

RickVoid posted:

Ooh, speaking of Woody's axe, I saw something about it that I really really thought was cool. If you look at it, the Axe head is clearly the original brought over from their world. But the handle looks like this. So he must have had to replace the original at some point. Another excellent bit of subtle world-building from Telltale.

Oh yeah. Voting.

Faith isn't going to get any more dead. Let's go find out what kind of new poo poo-show is going on with Toad.

Ahhh that's so cool! Good eyes!

Lord Gorchnik posted:

Is this game currently free for PS+ members? Heard a lot of great things about it and watched a little of the LP but I think I would rather enjoy it for myself before seeing another persons take on it.

It looks like it's about twelve deformed E's, actually.

(£11.99)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Go help Toad. Guy's had a rough day, what with us wrecking his car.
Also, whoever's ransacking the woodman's place might well be a suspect - after all Faith was there.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Go To Lawrence's Apartment. Toad is kind of an rear end in a top hat, and we have a murder to solve anyways.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bacter posted:

Ahhh that's so cool! Good eyes!

It looks like it's about twelve deformed E's, actually.

(£11.99)

Any plans to get the no commentary version of episode two up tonight? Got my wife into this but she prefers the no commentary vids. (Not that your commentary is bad, that's the version I watched before I had her sit through it.)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I vote for Lawrence because I went to Toad when I played through :v:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

I vote for Lawrence as investigating him seems like it'd at least get you an idea on the deceased's prior movements; at the very least, it might offer some information.

Besides, Toad deserves nothing because of the horrible pun of his Car's plates.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I vote for Lawrence only because I went to help Toad in my own playthrough and I want to see what I missed.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

dscruffy1 posted:

I vote for Lawrence because I went to Toad when I played through :v:

This in reverse is why I'm voting for Toad.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Any plans to get the no commentary version of episode two up tonight? Got my wife into this but she prefers the no commentary vids. (Not that your commentary is bad, that's the version I watched before I had her sit through it.)

Yep! Quite soon! (Hope it's not too late!)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 19, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Am I the first to say this LP got me to break down and buy the series?

This LP got me to buy the game.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
This LP made me want to buy it right after I find a job.

Instead I started The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, which was fun until it crashed my mouse driver. Maybe I'll go back and finish the Sam and Max games instead . . .

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm going to refrain from voting because I've played through both paths, but I have to say I love what you're doing with this LP, Bacter, especially going into more detail about the fables themselves and how they change and morph through the ages.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In the middle of watching Episode 2, got to the Tarot part and since I happen to have a deck that I occasionally play around with, wanted to contribute a bit.

Note: I don't believe in fortunetelling. Tarot is far more interesting from a psychological stand point, as what you believe the specific order of drawn cards means is far more important that what someone else thinks they mean. So here's what Bigby (or someone other than Bigby, as we only have the three cards there) drew:

Strength: Power, Energy, Action, Courage, Magnanimity. If drawn upside down (reversed), means Abuse of Power, Despotism, Weakness, Discord. Since these cards were specifically chosen for this game, could be directly referring to Bigby's dual nature.

The Tower: Misery, Distress, Ruin, Indigence, Adversity, Calamity, Disgrace, Deception. If drawn in reverse, it means basically the same thing but to a lesser degree. Was right-ways up. Not looking so good for our hero here.

10 of Swords (Yes, I paused the video to count): My little booklet basically says it means basically what you see on the card. Ouch. Also Pain, Affliction, Tears, Sadness, Desolation. Reverse means Advantage, Profit, Success, and Favor, but none of them permanent. Nice. If I was the one drawing these cards, I'd have probably stopped there too.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

RickVoid posted:

Strength: Power, Energy, Action, Courage, Magnanimity. If drawn upside down (reversed), means Abuse of Power, Despotism, Weakness, Discord. Since these cards were specifically chosen for this game, could be directly referring to Bigby's dual nature.

One thing I would like to point out about the Strength arcana is that the art almost invariably depicts a calm woman holding dominion over a powerful beast, usually a lion. In this case, though, the art depicted a woman and a wolf. Of course, I interpreted this as symbolizing Bigby's involvement in the plot. IIRC, in Tarot readings, the first card drawn determines who the reading is about.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way, I gotta say.

Thread title is fuckin' perfect.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Ouch. I appreciate the info, RickVoid! We'll get more tarot cards as the game progresses, and I WAS curious as to their meaning.

Edit: And that's a double-bad reading for Bigby then. I saw something about a "three card spread", where the first card was the past, the second was the present, and the third was the future?

Little late maybe, but there's that update! Probably a Book of Fables next, and I'll give it another day or so for votes to stream in. You've really not seen ANYTHING yet, action-wise!

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, I gotta say.

Thread title is fuckin' perfect.

I'm pretty happy with it. It was a moment of inspiration!

Edit: Fixing the link! Got the wrong dang video.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 19, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
If that's a three card spread... yeah, that's gonna suck something awful for our buddy here. If we're getting more cards though, it could be the Celtic Cross, which uses about 11 cards total for a complete reading.

The first card that gets pulled is the Significator, which is the card that represents the person the reading is being done for. Our Significator here appears to be Strength, and as noted it represents Bigby pretty well. This card is apparently pulled from the deck not a random, you actually choose it.

The first of the random cards is for the environment our significator is in. The Tower fits pretty well with Fabletown, I'd say. It's pretty much the world Bigby is living in.

The second of the random cards is the obstacles our significator faces. If we had drawn a positive here it would be a short-term good that is going to go to poo poo. How pleasant. 10 of Swords is a pretty nasty card to draw for this, but it matches the rough and tumble world Bigby lives in, and I'm sure we'll have someone or another trying to kill us sooner or later.

Obviously we've got more to go, and I'll try to keep up with this as the game progresses. One other note: my little booklet says the following about the Swords suit: Swords correspond to persons with dark brown hair and possibly grey, hazel or even blue eyes. Telltale did their homework when they put this little bit together, it seems.

I know you said you were going to do something on the cards Bacter, but it seems you're not bothered by me doing this. Hope I'm right.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Dunno if its been pointed out yet but the illustration for the vorpal sword is pretty much directly lifted from the jabberwocky poem. this game looks pretty neato.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

RickVoid posted:

10 of Swords (Yes, I paused the video to count): My little booklet basically says it means basically what you see on the card. Ouch. Also Pain, Affliction, Tears, Sadness, Desolation. Reverse means Advantage, Profit, Success, and Favor, but none of them permanent. Nice. If I was the one drawing these cards, I'd have probably stopped there too.

The Ten of Swords is generally considered the worst card in the deck to have drawn in a non-vulgar position. It's the one card that actually means death, unlike the Death card which is more symbolic and can mean the end of anything rather than the end of a life, at least according to the method I was taught for reading cards.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Lawrence, the man seems to be hurt

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 19, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My vote goes for Toad, by the looks of things in the mirror, Lawrence isn't going anywhere except a bodybag.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Lawrence

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At current count, Toad is at 12 and Lawrence is at 10.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Alternative approach: Swords are the suit of the Mind. 10th card shows the complete deterioration of the suit's energy. 10 of Swords, thus, is reason run mad: overanalysis, self-destructive spirals of reflection, being lost in your own mind and its constructs, blind to reality, etc (all that obviously leads to all those tears, afflictions, sadness and desolation).

So it can basically mean "stop overthinking poo poo, it's only making things worse".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Guess that's the beauty of card reading: there's so many completely random and arbitrary poo poo attached to the symbols that some meaning somewhere is bound to stick.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

Gonna vote for Toad.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Guess that's the beauty of card reading: there's so many completely random and arbitrary poo poo attached to the symbols that some meaning somewhere is bound to stick.

And that's why the magic mirror is so snarky about it, too. I guess it's good to have both - it's like riding in a car with an incredibly foggy front window, but a very clear side window: Still Not That Safe, better than nothing!

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I'm voting for Lawrence, since Toad sounds like he's not in any serious danger unlike the guy who was seen with a puddle of blood next to him.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Your chapter 2 silent link is just an image?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Go see Toad. Pretty sure the other dude is dead.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

I am voting for Lawrence. A man with a knife in a pool of blood is more important to look into than a toad croaking on about the Woodsman being noisy again.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

No-commentary video link fix'd.

Edit: Also - new book of fables entries for Bufkin and Crane. Actual video BoF coming up tonight, and at midnight tonight or so I'm calling the voting.

Edit edit: If we're going for the past/present/future interpretation of the tarot, well...

quote:

Strength: Fortitude of character, being able to rise above the obstacles in your way.

The Tower: Heavy changes and destruction. Usually carries a negative connotation, but can sometimes be interpreted as a good thing (e.g.: a bad part of your life being destroyed to make way for something better).

Ten of Swords: Extreme misfortune, basically the worst possible thing happening.

This is hard times for Bigby!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 19, 2015

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Oh absolutely! It's amazing how you easily can get replies of "that's exactly right" and 'wow' from people by just using what little you know about someone and applying the very vague meanings of the cards to them. I had some woman so convinced that she thought I had supernatural powers or something - I had used some false shuffling so two separate readings came up with the exact same cards for her. Of course, one should always explain that it's just for fun and there is nothing really behind it after it is all said and done.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 20, 2015

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I'll vote for Lawrence because I visited Toad's place on my playthrough. :shobon:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Like I said, the psychology behind it is where the real fun is.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'll throw in a vote for Lawrence. Considering that there's blood everywhere, that seems like the place to go.

Also, I am really liking what Telltale did with the whole Tarot thing-it's impressive how much work they put into one small bit.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
Oookay. It's tied right now, 14 for Toad and 14 for Lawrence.

Anybody else wanna vote?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Toad's situation seems more pressing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Lawrence seems more likely to lead us to Faith's killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spbwf7
Nov 1, 2012
Go to Toad's , there is a likely crime in progress, and Bigby is trying to be a good cop.

• Locked thread