Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

guys, my improvisational comedy class just showed me the best trick!

The "Yes, And" rule is a guideline of Improvisational comedy that suggests a participant should accept what the other person has created ("Yes") and then add something to it ("And").[1][2]

I'll start

I am Don Tacorleone AND I'm posting a thread that will be very successful in the Something Awful forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
No.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Don Tacorleone posted:

guys, my improvisational comedy class just showed me the best trick!

The "Yes, And" rule is a guideline of Improvisational comedy that suggests a participant should accept what the other person has created ("Yes") and then add something to it ("And").[1][2]

I'll start

I am Don Tacorleone AND I'm posting a thread that will be very successful in the Something Awful forums

Yes AND no.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

The, the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

*is a cool 90s guy*

Uh, how bout, noooooo

*laugh track*

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Don Tacorleone posted:

my improvisational comedy class

Can you get a refund?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Actually OP you only need to use and until you find the game of the scene, yes anding is used for establishing the usual world until you find your first unusual thing, so applying it to a whole thread is kinda pointless.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

KiddieGrinder posted:

Can you get a refund?

Sure let me just <pantomimes scribbling on a piece of paper> get that for you <rips fake check out of improv'd checkbook>, here you go!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That guy from Walk Hard says "Yes, and" isn't great because it just leads to random wackyness, and suggests the wordier "if that unusual thing is true, what else is true?"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

boom boom boom posted:

That guy from Walk Hard says "Yes, and" isn't great because it just leads to random wackyness, and suggests the wordier "if that unusual thing is true, what else is true?"

The UCB calls that the "game"

Basically it is said every long form improv scene should be focused around a game, and not a plot or the scene itself. The game is all about providing other examples of if this unusual thing is true, what else is true.

Sketches also have a "game". For example the Monty Python Parot sketch game would be "man denies obvious truths"

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Goons used to post youtube vids of their improv routines in creative convention and it was always really good.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Chinese Foooood. May I help you?

Yeah. I'd like to place an order.

What would you like?

Yeah, I'd like three orders of garlic chicken.

Yes and?

And then three orders of white rice.

Yes and?

Yes and..., you guys want soup?

Sure.

Yeah, Three orders of wantan soup.

Yes and?

Oh, ah, some fortune cookies too.

Yes and?

That's it. I think that's about it.

Yes and?

No. That's it.

Yes and?

No 'yes and. I..., I..., that's all I want.

Yes and?

Yes and, yes and, yes and I'm, then nothing else coz I'm done ordering. OK?

Yes and?

No. No. See, all I want is the three orders of the garlic chicken and the three orders of the white rice

Yes and?

And the soup dude.

Oh, and the wantan soup.

Yes and?

And the cookies fortune.

And the fortune cookies, yes. So it's just the, it's the, the chicken...

the rice, the soup and the fortune cookies and that's it.

Yes and?

Yes and you can put it in a brown paper bag and come put in my hand coz I'm ready to eat.

Yes and?

I refuse to play your chinese food mind games.

Yes and?

No, No 'yes and'!

Yes and?

No 'yes and'!

Yes and?

No 'yes and'!

Yes and?

No 'yes and'!

Yes and?

No 'yes and'!

Yes and?

No, no 'yes and'!

Yes and?

You're really starting to piss me off lady!

Yes and?

Yes and, I'm gonna come in there...

...and I'm gonna put my foot in your rear end if you say 'yes and' again!

Yes and? Yes and? Yes and? Yes and? Yes and?

Yes and?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Now don't get these confused with the "games" of short form improv. The purpose of long form improv is to organically come up with a game, while short form improv gives you a game already.

Whose Line is it Anyway would be short form improv.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
mr. capps layin down knowledge ITT

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

mr.capps posted:

Now don't get these confused with the "games" of short form improv. The purpose of long form improv is to organically come up with a game, while short form improv gives you a game already.

wow, you are obviously very well versed in improv comedy... do u have a youtube video showing ur skills? I would appreciate it a lot, as I am a big fan of "spontaneous" or "randomly generated" laughs. Haha, that's just a bit of computer humor for you, nerd improv if you will. You see, a random number generator is a thing in some video games and I was comparing comedy, to it. Anyhoo, I have PM's, so hit me up!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Now a lot of long form scenes won't even need to "yes and", because often in improv shows the unusual thing would be provided by monologues.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Minimalist Program posted:

wow, you are obviously very well versed in improv comedy... do u have a youtube video showing ur skills? I would appreciate it a lot, as I am a big fan of "spontaneous" or "randomly generated" laughs. Haha, that's just a bit of computer humor for you, nerd improv if you will. You see, a random number generator is a thing in some video games and I was comparing comedy, to it. Anyhoo, I have PM's, so hit me up!

I am actually famous improviser Matt Besser

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

mr.capps posted:

Yes, and I like butts.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Hexel posted:

Yes, and I like butts.

Yes, and the butts need to be hairy! Hhahaha, it's already working guys, you see? We're making comedy, keep it going, keep it going!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The way monologues work is the group will ask the audience for a word or suggestion, and then a monologist, this could be a guest or a member of the group, will tell an story from their life the word or suggestion reminded them from. The improvisers will then use bits and pieces from the monologue to improv their scene.

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

mr.capps posted:

The way monologues work is the group will ask the audience for a word or suggestion, and then a monologist, this could be a guest or a member of the group, will tell an story from their life the word or suggestion reminded them from. The improvisers will then use bits and pieces from the monologue to improv their scene.

Yes, and this results in a comedic climax known as a monolojism

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

mr.capps posted:

Yes and keep posting this stuff it's pretty interesting

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
did anyone say no yet- if not im ready to own the op :twisted:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Yes, and I'm not going to read any of this.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
gently caress, nO.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
Comedy class? Are you in loving clown school OP? Get a real degree you clown gently caress.

Owend

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbj7GZ1u_IM

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Dogo posted:

Comedy class? Are you in loving clown school OP? Get a real degree you clown gently caress.

Owend

send that clown back to clown school

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my friend does improv shows but im scared to go see in case its not good and also because i dont want to think that i could try it

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mr.capps posted:

You should have Matt Walsh and the black guy from Walk Hard on your show more often, they're my favorites

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
man reading this thread is just like being at a live ucb show!!! (its small and packed full of nerds lmao)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

and, youre gay

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
wont someone send this clown back to clown school

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
yes and won't someone return this student to tnt university, you know, the school that teaches you to be a clown

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
this man belongs in a school- but actually its a school for clowns to go to

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Rajjoble posted:

Yes, and this results in a comedic climax known as a monolojism

Wow thanks for killing my thread you improv fag

Laugh Till You Pee
Feb 8, 2014

Tell your mom to stop sending me nudes.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Wow thanks for killing my thread you improv fag

I don't think it ever really took off actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

and, youre gay

yes and

• Locked thread