Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Death to NCAA
Death to Penn State
Death to the Paterno legacy
Death to all who defend Penn State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

swickles posted:

You would think this whole scenario would have been a lesson to Goddell when it came to handling Rice and Peterson. Somehow the NCAA came out looking as bad as Penn State because of the massive overreach in authority that was only an emotional response to public outcry.

I had way less of an issue with Rice being punished by the NFL -- in theory -- than I did the NCAA thing to be honest, but Goddell roundly mishandled that, and yeah only did it because he *had* to, not because he thought he should.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think we're seeing a lot of people (maybe understandably) wanting the governing bodies of sports to hold people accountable in situations where the legal system has failed to. But you've got to understand that that's an unreasonable, unadvisable, and impossible expectation.

Sometimes the legal system takes a long time, but people need their retribution now, god drat it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The NCAA was never, ever, ever, ever and I can't stress this enough, ever created or intended to police behavior like you're talking about. It was created to maintain a level playing field within the context of the game itself.

Now that said, Oliver Luck's job is essentially to move the NCAA away from stupid poo poo, like scorched earth for selling some stretch pants, but its not and it never will be about the former.

Sure, right, but that doesn't mean that it's hypocritical to wish that the NCAA would stop being capricious and vindictive towards students for the most minor of meaningless infractions while being completely unequipped to deal with something like the institutional coverup of child rape to protect a football coach and program. Those are completely consistent beliefs. Just because things are this way doesn't mean they should be this way.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

NippleFloss posted:

Sure, right, but that doesn't mean that it's hypocritical to wish that the NCAA would stop being capricious and vindictive towards students for the most minor of meaningless infractions while being completely unequipped to deal with something like the institutional coverup of child rape to protect a football coach and program. Those are completely consistent beliefs. Just because things are this way doesn't mean they should be this way.

I am going to, again, just say it: it's not like this is something that happens on the regular and its not like you need to add a whole bunch of realllllyyyyyy bad poo poo like the NCAA policing personal conduct to prevent it from happening again. Like that's the thing. This isn't what the NCAA is about not should it or will it be.

There's a reason why people within the realm of college athletics and administration where really not too keen on the idea of this.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Why is Penn State even allowed to participate in collegiate sports at all? gently caress them.

At this point you can't even point out that you would be punishing students who had nothing to do with, as most of them would have enrolled after the scandal hit the news and thus enrolled at a school THEY KNEW would happly cover up child rape. gently caress them if they had no problem with that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Numlock posted:

Why is Penn State even allowed to participate in collegiate sports at all? gently caress them.

At this point you can't even point out that you would be punishing students who had nothing to do with, as most of them would have enrolled after the scandal hit the news and thus enrolled at a school THEY KNEW would happly cover up child rape. gently caress them if they had no problem with that.

what

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

It's amazing how many people unironically say that all of Penn State's athletics programs should be shut down or even the entire university should have been shut down.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
With as vehemently as Andichu defends Penn State in every Sandusky thread I sometimes wonder what skeletons West Virginia has hidden just beyond the media room door.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
Onion article is out already and is glorious:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/joe-paternos-name-to-remain-on-joe-paterno-center,28796/

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This news has ruined my weekend. I wish somebody was around to prevent this sort of thing from being released on a Friday.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Komet posted:

It's amazing how many people unironically say that all of Penn State's athletics programs should be shut down or even the entire university should have been shut down.

Feels trump reason, y'know?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Komet posted:

It's amazing how many people unironically say that all of Penn State's athletics programs should be shut down

Well, they should. The university has established that athletic success is more important than child rape. And their fans agree. Penn State's AD should be shut down.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thoguh posted:

With as vehemently as Andichu defends Penn State in every Sandusky thread I sometimes wonder what skeletons West Virginia has hidden just beyond the media room door.

I know you're just joking, but like, mob justice drives me batshit insane.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

That's from 2012.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Onion has been totally killing it for the last couple years. I dunno if they hired a bunch of new writers or what, but they've really picked up their game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Bowden still number one in my heart

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Well, they should. The university has established that athletic success is more important than child rape. And their fans agree. Penn State's AD should be shut down.

Oh don't be silly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So Holgo doesn't relax by force feeding Red Bull to small children until their heart explodes?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Joe Paterno allowed the rape of children to happen for years

That's something they can never take away from you.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Child rape and Penn State fans who think Joe Paterno is a good and just man drive me batshit insane

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Child rape and Penn State fans who think Joe Paterno is a good and just man drive me batshit insane

Joe Paterno did things the right way.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Penn State loving sucked at football when this came to light in 2001, so that argument just doesn't hold much water. I'll concede that maybe the coverup was to protect Paterno's and Penn State's shining city on a hill reputation, but I think the coverup was purely selfish. Spanier, Schultz, Curley, and Paterno were just protecting themselves. I'm honestly not even sure that Spanier was part of it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The major conferences are all abandoning the NCAA anyway, right? None of these punishments will ever matter again as we enter the lawlessness of "autonomy"

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Joe Paterno fans are a vocal minority

*entire stadium acts like it's Free Yuengling Day when a brief picture of Joe Paterno appears on scoreboard*

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Hed posted:

That's something they can never take away from you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If only Joe had been better at covering up the child rape.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I get that and I absolutely think he's a poo poo head and that they should not be happy about any of this.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Thoguh posted:

Joe Paterno did things the right way.

I read that as the white way

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Upside: Bobby Bowden and FSU no longer #1 in lifetime wins.

Downside: While the NCAA also sucks, this is some bullshit.

Other upside: Joe Paterno will forever be remembered as an accomplice/complicit/overlooker of multiple child rapes.

Other downside: This is still some bullshit.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
protecting child rape and wins literally more important than stopping children from getting raped

no one is surprised either.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Komet posted:

Penn State loving sucked at football when this came to light in 2001, so that argument just doesn't hold much water. I'll concede that maybe the coverup was to protect Paterno's and Penn State's shining city on a hill reputation, but I think the coverup was purely selfish. Spanier, Schultz, Curley, and Paterno were just protecting themselves. I'm honestly not even sure that Spanier was part of it.

Spanier was involved, but I don't think he realized how deep it went.

pathetic little tramp posted:

The major conferences are all abandoning the NCAA anyway, right? None of these punishments will ever matter again as we enter the lawlessness of "autonomy"

Autonomy won't be lawless, it just means stupid poo poo like "you can't have an oatmeal cookie as a snack because that would be a meal because of calories" is going away.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Komet posted:

How is that silly or weird

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Imagine if there were a huge amount of Michigan people who were like "yeah Ted Kaczynski might have messed up a bit later in life but you can't discredit all the good he did as a mathematician"

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

Mahoning posted:

That's from 2012.

i am bad at reading dates but the point of it still stands

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sometimes poo poo happens that nobody really expects and as such, it isn't really accounted for in rules, regulations, etc., but it's so loving vile and disgusting that literally everyone should be able to see that it needs to result in some kind of punishment. This is one of those times.

I totally understand the argument against the NCAA but Paterno covered up a bunch of child rape for a long time because football and semantics shouldn't stand in the way of letting that fucker rot in hell and in the record books.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
penn state should have gotten the death penalty qtiyd

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sometimes poo poo happens that nobody really expects and as such, it isn't really accounted for in rules, regulations, etc., but it's so loving vile and disgusting that literally everyone should be able to see that it needs to result in some kind of punishment. This is one of those times.

I totally understand the argument against the NCAA but Paterno covered up a bunch of child rape for a long time because football and semantics shouldn't stand in the way of letting that fucker rot in hell and in the record books.

I actually have less of a problem with the NCAA sanctioning him personally (e.g., if you want to strip wins, do it from him not the school).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

• Locked thread