Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah it's just the latest hit from the screeching tumblr harpy crew

It's a real thing. However, middleaged women putting their bags on seats next to them is also a real thing. Here, at least, the guy thing I see on city trains, the woman thing I see on trains to suburbs.

Seats are way too drat small though, there is no accounting for wide shoulders. I have to look for a seat next to a smaller person or my rear end is hanging half off the seat and my shoulders are rounded to fit on top of their shoulders. Not good for the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

gnarlyhotep posted:

yeah it's just the latest hit from the screeching tumblr harpy crew
My aunt also posts a lot of women power stuff related to goddesses of religions she has no cultural ties to and inspirational quotes using italic white text over pictures of sunsets and waterfalls.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
No wonder thousands of people are joining ISIS every day. Ho's be out of control.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Enderzero posted:

It's a real thing. However, middleaged women putting their bags on seats next to them is also a real thing. Here, at least, the guy thing I see on city trains, the woman thing I see on trains to suburbs.

Seats are way too drat small though, there is no accounting for wide shoulders. I have to look for a seat next to a smaller person or my rear end is hanging half off the seat and my shoulders are rounded to fit on top of their shoulders. Not good for the back.

I'm sure it happens, but I'm also sure the tumblrs are blowing it way out of proportion, that's just what they do

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

ArbitraryC posted:

My aunt also posts a lot of women power stuff related to goddesses of religions she has no cultural ties to and inspirational quotes using italic white text over pictures of sunsets and waterfalls.
Tell your aunt that her movement is merely paper-thin justification for racial apartheid and the women's arm of a white supremacist hegemony.

White nationalists love jerking themselves off to Norse/Viking imagery as well.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen this be a problem on the BART.

Poop covered homeless guys sleeping on the seats however is usually a daily occurrence. I'm not sure how they afford the $3+ fare.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
is there a special term for morbidly obese people taking up multiple seats or are they a protected class

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
this is not even remotely a problem compared to people sitting their bags in the seat next to them

that and the homeless people passed out

also lol how come every pic someone posts about this is on a totally empty bus

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

What kind of bread goes good with manspread?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Al Cowens posted:

Can't wait to live like an antebellum-era negro in the ideal America envisioned by these people.

That's pretty unrealistic. Cotton isn't really grown here anymore.

edit: i feel terrible for posting this, curse you tequila for giving me a conscience

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 16, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Drunkboxer posted:

also lol how come every pic someone posts about this is on a totally empty bus
Things to include on a manspreader bingo chart:
Empty bus
PoC
Ugly/awkwardly dressed

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I prefer to sit cross legged. Not tight like a girl but with my ankle on the knee

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Between this and the "street harassment" thing, I'm pretty sure I'm the most feminist person alive, because I never look at, speak to, or touch any woman, ever.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I didn't realize discriminating against tall people was one of the sjw goals.

You can't sit with your legs pressed together if you are tall as gently caress on public transport seats because your knees are like 6+ inches higher than your rear end and it's awkward as hell and becomes actually painful after a bit. If you relax your legs one way your feet are way out in the aisle or even touching the seat across from you. That's a real dick move. That leaves you relaxing your legs a bit in the other way, taking up more space than the girl 14 inches shorter than you sitting across from you. But it's still less space taken up than a really fat guy or most women who carry a purse and put it next to them. And if you sit with them touched together like that, you need to relax your legs at some point and then you're pressing your legs against the people near you or weaving them between people standing/across from you and that's awkward and probably violates others far more than taking up a bit more space by sitting a bit wider to begin with.

Some of these people are indeed ridiculous though. But the most ridiculous ones are almost always on empty transport.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 16, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Khorne posted:

I didn't really discriminating against tall people was one of the sjw goals.

it's about finding something, anything to be furious about

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doctor Shapes posted:

why dont the women just spread their legs god dam idiots

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
This is always done on empty buses/trains and it's because the dude rightly thinks it doesn't matter and that other women/men are going to do it to.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

proof of concept posted:

it's about finding something, anything to be furious about

On a deeper level, it's about throwing weight around and conformity enforcement in response to feelings of fear and helplessness. So, while it might not be the klan, it comes from that same place.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Feminism really is completely worthless, 60 years ago it got women the right to vote/wear pants. Now a days it's gamergate and MEN WONT CLOSE THEIR LEGS ON THE BUS, GOSH WHY CAN'T THEY BE TINY LIKE US CROSSLEGGED LADIES

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Al Nipper posted:

It's pretty loving weird tho

Like how is that any more comfortable than sitting like a normal person.

the dude is goofy looking but there're two open seats right next to him so who cares how much he's taking up. this is almost as bad as when they were complaining about standing urination

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

stop shaming my huge balls please

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Adventure Pigeon posted:

this is almost as bad as when they were complaining about standing urination

uh????

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is always done on empty buses/trains and it's because the dude rightly thinks it doesn't matter and that other women/men are going to do it to.
The concept was introduced to me by a goon who said someone was bitching to him about his manspreading on a doubledecker bus with less than half a dozen people on it.

Now I've started to see it pop-up a lot in my Facebook feed as people share links from actual news sites and the pictures are invariably nearly empty busses. I wonder what is going through these people's heads.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
dont call it manspreading, dont use their words. its called relaxing

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I used to ride the bus a ton and from what I recall women selfishly taking up multiple seats was just as common as men doing it, the only difference was they used their bags to do it instead their bodies

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Ork of Fiction posted:

On a deeper level, it's about throwing weight around and conformity enforcement in response to feelings of fear and helplessness. So, while it might not be the klan, it comes from that same place.

It's the klan.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

kill your aunt then yourself

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
gonna spread my man around

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
This goes here I think:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

gnarlyhotep posted:

gonna spread my man around
Might wanna take him out of the refrigerator and let him warm up a bit to room temperature for a more even and easy spread.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

The concept was introduced to me by a goon who said someone was bitching to him about his manspreading on a doubledecker bus with less than half a dozen people on it.

Orkin Mang posted:

dont call it manspreading, dont use their words. its called relaxing

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
wow.. this thread's full of a lot of mansplaining

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

This was definitely a real thing when I lived in NYC. Fortunately, the kind of guys who do it are the gross kind of guys I'd never sit next to anyway and I'd rather just stand the whole time, so it didn't really bother me.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Adventure Pigeon posted:

the dude is goofy looking but there're two open seats right next to him so who cares how much he's taking up. this is almost as bad as when they were complaining about standing urination
Yeah I know there's empty seats in most of these photos and tumblrites are spastic intrusive weirdos getting mad at the obviously mentally ill/drunk, men snuggling up to companions, and people with random poo poo doing one-time moves.

I'm just wondering about the benefit of balancing your tailbone on the edge of the seat while effectively doing the splits like the guy I posted.

Also lol

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

youd think nyc residents could tackle an actual problem, like how 90% of the city stinks like hot liquid garbage all summer

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

haljordan posted:

youd think nyc residents could tackle an actual problem, like how 90% of the city stinks like hot liquid garbage all summer

I thought that was part of the charm

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Al Nipper posted:

Yeah I know there's empty seats in most of these photos and tumblrites are spastic intrusive weirdos getting mad at the obviously mentally ill/drunk, men snuggling up to companions, and people with random poo poo doing one-time moves.

I'm just wondering about the benefit of balancing your tailbone on the edge of the seat while effectively doing the splits like the guy I posted.

Also lol

this guy has a blog about misandry

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Al Nipper posted:

Also lol

Lmao

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

haljordan posted:

Considering how densely populated it is, I honestly think they do a pretty good job. Most shop owners and apartment building supers hose their sidewalk down every morning, and the trash gets collected after just one night out on the street. The city even gives you clear plastic bags to put all your recycling in so the bums don't rip open the black trashbags looking for cans.

Probably the biggest cause of the smell is dog piss, by the end of the day so many dogs have pissed on the sidewalks. But there's nowhere else for them to go, so I've got no better realistic idea on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

spooky girlfriend posted:

This was definitely a real thing when I lived in NYC. Fortunately, the kind of guys who do it are the gross kind of guys I'd never sit next to anyway and I'd rather just stand the whole time, so it didn't really bother me.
I dunno man this guy looks completely cool/normal and also exorbitantly wealthy, judging by his proudly displayed watch and branded attire.

haljordan posted:

From my brief time there I was guessing it had something to do with them having little to no alleyways and just leaving their trash on the sidewalk?

katlington posted:

this guy has a blog about misandry
Really? It seems like he's having fun either way.

• Locked thread