Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon
May 22, 2003

John Wick is the new benchmark for action movies. This is the movie that 14/15 year olds will be watching now and in 20 years time will be wondering why can't they make movies like John Wick anymore. Predator, Aliens, Commando, you have served us well thus far but this is now the movie that others will aspire to.

PS Keanu is still a bad-rear end motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
The bit of cross-promotion where they put John Wick as a character into the Payday 2 video game was pretty fun.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Alfie Allen is Alfie Allen in Alfie Allen Gets His Dick Kicked In, The Movie

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i liked it

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

this is the movie where he kills a bunch of people because they kill his dog right?
that is honestly all the motivation i want in a protagonist

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

this is the movie where he kills a bunch of people because they kill his dog right?

it is and its badass

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Exactly.

A little way into the movie you are introduced to the bad guy who explains how much of an angel of death Keanu is to his retard son, Theon Grejoy. He phones up Keanu (just after Keanu has sledgehammered the gently caress out of his garage to uncover a hidden stash of guns and gold doubloons) to try and reason with him. Keanu hangs up on that dude's rear end after a few words without saying anything.

The bad guy's henchman asks him what did Keanu say? The answer - "Enough."

Bad. rear end.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

John Wick is a really good movie and I liked it a lot.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been wanting to watch this but now today it is possible for me to watch this. :v:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
agreed this movie owns--i wouldn't watch the lovely streaming quality copy and would wait for a good bluray release because a lot of the movie is terrific sound and visuals

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite part is the scene where he kills a bunch of dudes at his house but then the cops arrive. The cop just looks at all the dead people, asks John Wick if he's back at his old job and then just leaves.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lemon posted:

Exactly.

A little way into the movie you are introduced to the bad guy who explains how much of an angel of death Keanu is to his retard son, Theon Grejoy. He phones up Keanu (just after Keanu has sledgehammered the gently caress out of his garage to uncover a hidden stash of guns and gold doubloons) to try and reason with him. Keanu hangs up on that dude's rear end after a few words without saying anything.

The bad guy's henchman asks him what did Keanu say? The answer - "Enough."

Bad. rear end.

I dunno the part where the Russian dude calls up the chop shop guy and is like "WHY DID YOU STRIKE MY SON"

"Because he uh stole John Wick's car and killed his dog"

"Oh...."

*hangs up*

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love the scene when the daddy bad guy is waiting for the call that his son is dead. It's so perfect.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

I'm watching this movie tonight, so I'm glad you guys are excited about it. Welp, I'm out of here before it gets ruined for me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

John Wick kills a whole bunch of motherfuckers, seriously like at least 50 dudes and I loved every minute of it.

Also I loved the hotel clerk.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
No love for John Wick having to reload in the middle of shooting up a night club? Marking the first time we see an action hero not having unlimited bullets?

For shame.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

It's the first movie I can think of where they don't just fire one shot at a guy and he magically dies from one in the chest. He shoots almost everyone in the head.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So is he forgiven for 47 Ronin?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
The best bit is when he finally kills the son and it's a complete anticlimax and he doesn't really give a gently caress.

Lincolnstein
Sep 10, 2007

ah poo poo this is the movie i've been meaning to see but forgot about. thanks man.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
It was nice having the bad guys acknowledge that the main character is pretty much unstoppable and be afraid of him.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

the best part about john wick was that it wasn't a pg-13 superhero movie for kids where every action sequence was just a camera guy having a seizure

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
John Wick was trying very hard to be a John Woo movie but was nowhere near as good

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Grundma posted:

John Wick was trying very hard to be a John Woo movie but was nowhere near as good

human being

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

watch The Drop it has a bad guys and a dog but also good acting and is tense as hell

John Wick is good for a dumb revenge film with borderline fun/tacky stylistic elements. OP is right it's the Boondock Saints of this generation.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

i only watch movies that make me feel smarter and more superior to everybody else because if no one will be my friend it's because they're not as smart as i am

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
The only real problem I had was the senior citizen end boss realizing he's good as dead and giving up (cool), then proceeding to go toe-to-toe in a fistfight with a guy that's murdered like a thousand dudes in the span of an hour.

I mean I can understand convention but would have preferred something like the Taye Diggs fight in Equilibrium. OH WAIT that had an inexplicable old man final fight too.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Al Nipper posted:

The only real problem I had was the senior citizen end boss realizing he's good as dead and giving up (cool), then proceeding to go toe-to-toe in a fistfight with a guy that's murdered like a thousand dudes in the span of an hour.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

someone's never heard of old man strength...

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Good thing those pikeys in Snatch shot Brick Top in the face before he could show his final form.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I thought that old guy did like shitloads of PCP before the fight to explain it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
john woo is awesome, boondock saints sucks

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
im gonna watch this and write a 20 page dissertation about how it represents the working class finally rising up after one too many indignities (the death of the dog) at the hands of the plutocracy...

Oh wait, this isn't CineD, so imma just watch this and probably feel entertained by some or all of it.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Bolow posted:

I dunno the part where the Russian dude calls up the chop shop guy and is like "WHY DID YOU STRIKE MY SON"

"Because he uh stole John Wick's car and killed his dog"

"Oh...."

*hangs up*

Don't forget that he follows that up by also punching his dumbass son

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Once John Woo left HK he went to poo poo. Chow Yun Fat too.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
A good man, Jong wick. Don't know him well but he seemed nice enough, kept to himself mostly I think.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

John Wick is a better Max Payne movie than the Max Payne movie.

Then again any movie is better than the Max Payne movie, but the stylistic elements and storyline lend themselves to comparison.

John Wick was a good action movie.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Ah, curses. Foiled by the old "stab yourself in the gut to disarm your opponent" gag.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

this movie is the poo poo and i recommend watching it. seriously it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
John Wick is basically what I want 99% of action movies to be. Don't try to entice non-action fans to your movie with hamfisted romance, nor should you just shower the movie in titties just cause. Make a simple action flick with an easy to understand premise, lose the loving worthless shakey-cam poo poo, and just have some fun.

Action movies should have entertaining and clean action, they should have relatable characters, and they should be fun. John Wick was all of these things. I didn't relate to "John Wick: master assassin" but I sure as hell related to "John Wick: angry about his dead dog."

• Locked thread