Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
A part of that distortion just comes from it being shot with a wide angle lens, a simple effect used masterfully for that shot/sequence. I'm partial to the brief close-up of the fan that follows as well, it creates an awfully unsettling mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I think in the show it's also shown with some very unsettling music in the background, and the movement is all blurred and choppy. And sometimes Laura's mom is coming down the stairs?

That, along with the shot of the body in the house in Mulholland Dr are some of the few things that, as an adult, I thought to myself "I am going to have nightmares about this"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's a shot in I believe the pilot episode where the camera is pointed up the stairs in the Palmer house and the way it's framed and lit is just chilling even though it's a totally static shot. Like something out of one of those dreams that's a nightmare just because of the way it feels. It's amazing.

Edit: here it is

I introduced a couple of friends to Twin Peaks when I was in university about ten years ago, and we still crack jokes about how goddamn terrifying ceiling fans are. You know some scary poo poo is just round the corner when you see a ceiling fan.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Just watched Mulholland Drive for the first time tonight, and I'm still running through parts of it in my head. That's the sign of a genuinely good movie; it stays with you for a day or two afterwards. Definitely gave me a lot to think about. While I was watching it I had a hard time making heads or tails out of it, but afterwards the more I thought over it the more it made sense, in a way. Kind of the reverse situation of how your mind can make perfect sense of the "story" of a dream, but when you wake up the concept of it starts to fall to pieces the more awake you become.

One thing that I really like about Lynch is his repetition of common elements and themes: coffee, crying people, doppelgangers, stage performances, cowboys, classic American kitsch, dreamy/anxious shots of people in vehicles, emotionally and psychologically significant musical numbers, etc. I wish more directors worked like this. Repetition of images and patterns are part of life, and should be part of good art, too.

Does anybody have any thoughts on his use of the color blue as a "mystical" color? I was thinking about it because of the key/box bit in Mulholland Drive, and it occurred to me that he used the same shade to similar effect in Lady Blue Shanghai. And then of course there is Blue Velvet. Are there any other examples that I am forgetting?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fyadophobic posted:

crying people
He also has a thing for his characters passing random couples on the streets who are laughing to each other, which I always read as just shorthand for paranoia.

The one that really baffles me is Lynch using the sound of frogs during especially tense scenes in Twin Peaks.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 19, 2015

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Fyadophobic posted:

One thing that I really like about Lynch is his repetition of common elements and themes:

Lynch also uses a motif of serious head trauma in most of his works, especially with characters with profound mental issues. This starts as early as Eraserhead, with Jack Nance hallucinating his own severed broken head on the street (also a possible combination with the doppelganger theme). Other examples are when it appears in Twin Peaks as Leland's method of suicide in jail, and in a pretty extreme fashion in Wild at Heart in the form of Willem Dafoe's head turning into a flying bowl of chunky soup in a bag after an unfortunate shotgun mishap .

Fyadophobic posted:

Does anybody have any thoughts on his use of the color blue as a "mystical" color?

The spotlight that illuminates otherworldly/supernatural events throughout Fire Walk with Me is pretty harsh and white, but has a faint bluish tinge to it. It's subtle but it's noticeable as a contrast to the muted earth tones used in the rest of the town.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I like mulholland drive in that if you were to make a single edit to the movie, namely make a cut when 'rita' opens the blue box and take everything after that cut and put it at the start, there are basically no plot ambiguities.

Yet, in the order its in now, it's pretty rare anyone walks away feeling they watched a coherent movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Modest Mao posted:

I like mulholland drive in that if you were to make a single edit to the movie, namely make a cut when 'rita' opens the blue box and take everything after that cut and put it at the start, there are basically no plot ambiguities.

Yet, in the order its in now, it's pretty rare anyone walks away feeling they watched a coherent movie.

Pretty much. I feel like there's a contingent of people on the internet that keep trying to make the film have a more complicated plot than it really does, by adding in silly theories about time loops and the like.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Lynch also uses a motif of serious head trauma in most of his works, especially with characters with profound mental issues. This starts as early as Eraserhead, with Jack Nance hallucinating his own severed broken head on the street (also a possible combination with the doppelganger theme). Other examples are when it appears in Twin Peaks as Leland's method of suicide in jail, and in a pretty extreme fashion in Wild at Heart in the form of Willem Dafoe's head turning into a flying bowl of chunky soup in a bag after an unfortunate shotgun mishap .

Isn't there also a bit in Lost Highway where a character trips and lands head-first on the edge of a modernist glass coffee table?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
On the head trauma in Twin Peaks line of thought, don't forget scenes such as the final altercation between Benjamin Horne and Will Hayward, Andy getting nailed in the face by a wooden board, the psychiatrist guy getting knocked out, and the final scene with Cooper and the mirror. You could also make a case for what happens to Nadine and Leo as an extension of the head trauma element, but it's more of a stretch than the other examples.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Didn't some of those Twin Peaks spoilers happen when Lynch wasn't directly involved with the show's writing for several months though?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Raxivace posted:

Pretty much. I feel like there's a contingent of people on the internet that keep trying to make the film have a more complicated plot than it really does, by adding in silly theories about time loops and the like.

If you can tolerate his "style" for lack of a better term, Film Crit Hulk's analysis of Mulholland Drive is excellent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

weekly font posted:

If you can tolerate his "style" for lack of a better term, Film Crit Hulk's analysis of Mulholland Drive is excellent.

Yeah, glancing over the review it seems that he has the right idea about how Lynch is relating dreams to cinema, by initially constructing the dream portion of the film as a more conventional noirish mystery movie, before the illusion all breaks down.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Mulholland Drive is one of his most straightforward, accessible movies.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Club Silencio makes me tear up

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Club Silencio makes me tear up

The way this scene operates is amazing.

Are you crying because Betty and Rita are crying? Are they crying because the name of the song is "Crying"? Is it because Rebekah Del Rio's performance is so amazing? Is she actually not singing, or are we led to believe it's not a live performance because of the way it's edited?

The great joke of the whole thing is that movies are filmed in a nonlinear fashion so it could just as easily be that what she is singing live is edited later into a recording, which is match cut with the singer collapsing and the disembodied voice continuing on. It's not what Betty and Rita are seeing, it's what you're seeing, but of course they acknowledge it by literally finding the key to unlock the film.

If I showed anybody just one scene from one Lynch film, it would probably be Silencio, even though it's somewhat atypical.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Criterion to release Mulholland Drive Blu-Ray:

quote:

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director David Lynch and director of photography Peter Deming, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New interviews with Lynch, Deming, actors Naomi Watts and Laura Harring, composer Angelo Badalamenti, and casting director Johanna Ray
  • Interviews with Lynch and cast members, along with other footage from the film’s set

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How about some loving DVD chapters this time, David.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Storm One posted:

Criterion to release Mulholland Drive Blu-Ray:

Buying that, day one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How about some loving DVD chapters this time, David.

You know he's incredibly against that, right? It's against his philosophy of how movies should be viewed, from beginning to end.

I remember reading or hearing him say in an interview that he wishes he could remove the pause feature from the DVD release of his movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Franchescanado posted:

You know he's incredibly against that, right? It's against his philosophy of how movies should be viewed, from beginning to end.

I remember reading or hearing him say in an interview that he wishes he could remove the pause feature from the DVD release of his movies.

It's specifically what he said about the DVD release of Mulholland Drive and it's total bullass.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Well, coming from a guy who is pretty open about not watching movies, not really caring about movies in general, can you be surprised he has some eccentric ideas with how they should be presented?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Being mad about chapter stops on DVDs and Blu-rays is the dumbest thing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Franchescanado posted:

Removing pauses is a bit much - sometimes you gotta take a poo poo, David - but yeah, I never use chapter stops anyway, with the exception of wanting to take a screenshot or something like that.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

this is the best part of twin peaks

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Cool and good. posted:

this is the best part of twin peaks

Most definitely.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I recently watched Mulholland Drive for the second time, and made my wife watch it for her first time. She said she saw various scenes from the film out of context many years ago, which is why she resisted watching it with me for so long.

I found it mystifying but entertaining the first time, but this time, we both absolutely loved it, and I'm pretty sure I figured everything out. I don't remember being so appreciative of a movie in a long time, and it was strange that it didn't affect me so deeply the first time. I loved everything about it, so that Blu-Ray is tempting, even though I don't buy Blu-Rays or even DVDs anymore.

Now to find a copy of Lost Highway, so I can get her to watch that one with me...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm gonna buy the poo poo out of that blu-ray

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

You know he's incredibly against that, right?

Instead of logical chapters they could do what Vinegar Syndrome does with their DVDs and BluRays and actually break the film into the actual reels it was originally shipped to theatres with to meet him halfway. Those breaks are already in the film and not something projected onto the film by whoever is mastering the home video version at least.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Not trying to take away from all the interesting discussion that's been had about it, but I've never been able to see Mullholland Drive in any way other than the standard actor's guilt-trip/suicide. That theory just works so perfectly, it feels like other theories are looking for something that isn't there.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 17, 2015

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Tirranek posted:

Not trying to take away from all the interesting discussion that's been had about it, but I've never been able to see Mullholland Drive in any way other than the standard actor's guilt-trip/suicide. That theory just works so perfectly, it feels like other theories are looking for something that isn't there.
I don't think you need to interpret it any other way. I never viewed the story as anything more than It was all a dream!, which in most other director's hands would be extremely lame. That's not to say the film isn't chock full of intentional symbolism and metaphor, though, and doesn't deserve to be analyzed because it's clearly saying much more than that.

It's why I find the criticisms about David Lynch's work being a bunch of made-up nonsense as incredibly stupid. All his work has actually been pretty simplistic to follow if you bother to pay attention, it's how he tells it that makes it stand out.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

kuddles posted:

It's why I find the criticisms about David Lynch's work being a bunch of made-up nonsense as incredibly stupid. All his work has actually been pretty simplistic to follow if you bother to pay attention, it's how he tells it that makes it stand out.

To add to this, specifically what sets his work apart is that, although the core stories are usually quite simple and grounded, they are shown to us through an entirely subjective point of view. Most films try at least somewhat to create the illusion that the camera simply is showing us objective events in a consistent, literal world but Lynch only lets us see that world from the inside out.

I think this philosophy is especially made explicit in the Silencio scene in Mulholland Drive- it doesn't matter that the woman isn't really singing, the audience's subjective emotional experiences are the same. Just as it doesn't matter that the film's story is just a dream, or just a movie, or both.

This main theme is also why Lynch uses a lot of conspicuous meta or Brechtian elements, like the really obvious smoke machines after Diane kills herself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

kuddles posted:

I don't think you need to interpret it any other way. I never viewed the story as anything more than It was all a dream!, which in most other director's hands would be extremely lame. That's not to say the film isn't chock full of intentional symbolism and metaphor, though, and doesn't deserve to be analyzed because it's clearly saying much more than that.

Probably because unlike Wizard of Oz it feels like a dream and has dream-logic accurately portrayed on film

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Lame as it might sound, Lynch's work feels more like music to me. When I finished Mulholland Drive I felt like I understood it long before I realised what had happened in the plot.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The weird thing about MD is that, as I understand it, most of the dream parts were filmed for the original television pilot, while most of the last act was constructed from newly shot footage. That it winds up making a neat little self-contained film is incredible to me, and really makes me wonder what the heck a Mulholland Drive series would have been like.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Periodiko posted:

The weird thing about MD is that, as I understand it, most of the dream parts were filmed for the original television pilot, while most of the last act was constructed from newly shot footage. That it winds up making a neat little self-contained film is incredible to me, and really makes me wonder what the heck a Mulholland Drive series would have been like.

I'd say Inland Empire is a faint echo of what a Mulholland Drive series would have been, or at the very least the first hour or so of IE before Nikki falls into Wonderland.

The more I think about it, the more I understand why ABC passed on the pilot. Twin Peaks at least had the investigation of Laura Palmer's death to act as a catalyst for the action, but with MD the mystery of "Rita" doesn't have that power. It's a whole bunch of seemingly unconnected threads that weave together (maybe) at the very end.

Also, I rewatched MD a few months ago and I realized that Diane's apartment looks like an early iteration of the Rabbit's apartment. Same decor and paint, but different layout.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Marshal Radisic posted:

The more I think about it, the more I understand why ABC passed on the pilot. Twin Peaks at least had the investigation of Laura Palmer's death to act as a catalyst for the action, but with MD the mystery of "Rita" doesn't have that power. It's a whole bunch of seemingly unconnected threads that weave together (maybe) at the very end.

Why not? The initial idea for Twin Peaks was that the murder of a young girl led us into the increasingly disconnected threads of the town's underbelly, with Cooper as the outsider encountering it all with us. With the MD pilot the idea was that the attempted murder of "Rita" would lead us into into the increasingly disconnected threads of the Hollywood's underbelly, with Betty in that outsider role.

quote:

Also, I rewatched MD a few months ago and I realized that Diane's apartment looks like an early iteration of the Rabbit's apartment. Same decor and paint, but different layout.

Also one of the rabbits was played by Naomi Watts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Another is Laura Harring, of course.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
The rabbits are all MD cast members, the third one is Scott Coffey and Rebekah Del Rio plays Harring's rabbit in one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A reading that I cannot imagine I've come up with myself is that MD is about the relationship between a movie and its audience, with Naomi Watts' character as the audience, Laura Harring as the movie and Justin Theroux as, well, the director. Is there anything like that online that I can read?

• Locked thread