Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

juniperjones posted:

I just watched Mulholland Drive. I loved it. It was fascinating.

This is the best, most succinct Mulholland Drive review ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

There's a shot in I believe the pilot episode where the camera is pointed up the stairs in the Palmer house and the way it's framed and lit is just chilling even though it's a totally static shot. Like something out of one of those dreams that's a nightmare just because of the way it feels. It's amazing.

Edit: here it is

I introduced a couple of friends to Twin Peaks when I was in university about ten years ago, and we still crack jokes about how goddamn terrifying ceiling fans are. You know some scary poo poo is just round the corner when you see a ceiling fan.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I got this and it's loving awful for the most part. Lost Highway looks great but the disc is hosed up and freezes up at a certain point - tonnes of people have reported this as an issue. FWWM and Wild at Heart had really poor sound quality, too. Eraserhead is okay, it looks a bit better than the DVD and is still stereo only, but I expected that. Never got round to watching Dune but going by other reviews it apparently is awful.

I think there's been a rerelease that fixed a bunch of issues but not sure. I'd be really wary.

The Mulholland Drive blu ray I bought separately is absolutely fine though.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

david_a posted:

are there any theories that the Black Lodge inhabitants are aliens? I thought I remembered something about a cancelled comic book Twin Peaks S3 where they are shown as originating from a planet of garmonbozia. It would be a suitably weird depiction of trying to interact with something as incomprehensible as extra terrestrial beings without resorting to some dudes with forehead ridges.

I always figured they were more like Cenobites. They are from a reality that is inconceivable to our brains and jump into our world in order to feed on human suffering and misery (though they have to find hosts, whereas the Cenobites just rock up when someone uses the puzzle box).

One thing that I never got is that the giant is in the black lodge, but isn't he a good guy? He does nothing but help and warn Coop, but then he turns up in the lodge with the Man From Another Place (and they appear to be friendly). All the other lodge inhabitants appear to be overtly evil or at least engineer things so that Bob gets his garmonbozia (like the old lady and the magician, and MFAP is a manifestation of Mike's killing arm).

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Trap posted:

Am I the only one who's favorite Lynch film is Lost Highway? I just love how heavy metal and youthful it is. Lynch's films usually take place in some weird mash up between present day and 1950s aesthetic. Lost Highway was very immediate and in the present. I just love how 90s it is, and it reminds of me of growing up in the desert out in Nevada.

I really like Lost Highway, though there's one thing that bugs me: the soundtrack. I love all of the original music from Trent Reznor, Angelo Badalamenti and Barry Adamson (all three rank amongst my top 10 favourite artists), but the actual songs included, with lyrics, are really jarring and throw out all the atmosphere for me. 'This Magic Moment' kicking in when Alice pulls up is so stupidly on-the-nose. Killer guitar riff from Rammstein when Pete starts losing it in Andy's apartment? Great. Works perfectly. But then, all of a sudden, the lyrics scream "RRRRRRAMM. STEIN." and make an otherwise disturbing and intense scene almost funny. 'I'm Deranged' during the opening and closing credits is great, but otherwise it smacked of Reznor just inserting his favourite lyrics over the top of the film and killing all the tension that the score and cinematography had worked so hard to create.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Everybody always forgets about The Straight Story :(

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Seriously, watch The Straight Story. It still has a very dreamlike feel that gives it away as a Lynch movie, but it's very different to his other work (The Elephant Man is probably the closest) and if you don't tear up a little watching it then you're probably not human.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Here's hoping the new Twin Peaks isn't a trainwreck like the new X-Files. I'm fairly sure it won't be, since Lynch is at the helm, but fingers crossed anyway.

I absolutely love FWWM. It's probably the most harrowing movie I've ever watched. The Missing Pieces film from the blu ray set is great, too, but disappointed there wasn't an official cut with all that content put back in. Especially the stuff about Agent Jeffries and his visit to the lodge, plus all the extra scenes with the Palmers that made me feel super sorry for Leland.

Spoilers in case someone in this thread hasn't watched TP: you get to see more moments when Leland isn't being completely controlled by BOB, and is actually just a goofy dad that loves his family. I can see why it was cut, as it dramatically changes the tone to the more fun, soapy TV show, but it meant you got to see Leland as himself a bit more than that brief scene in the theatrical cut when he goes to see Laura in her room and tells her that he loves her, and seems to have some awareness of what BOB is doing which makes them both cry.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Alright, I rewatched Mulholland Drive for the first time since I was 18 or so. I mostly got it but what in the gently caress did the old people have to do with all of it? That poo poo lost me.

Here are three ideas I've heard floated around:

1) They were Diane's earliest memory of Hollywood, and a pleasant one at that, when she was fresh off the plane and was excited about becoming a star - before the city ate all of her hopes and dreams, chewed her up and spat her out. Their appearance at the end, and the way that they seem eerily sinister during the Betty fantasy as soon as they leave the airport, is all the poo poo Diane has done and had done to her catching up to the point where even her few good memories are terrifying and she can no longer delude herself by believing in an ounce of kindness in the city.

2) Diane was abused by her grandparents. She seems to associate violence with sex, and the elderly couple sneak into her bedroom, jeering and taunting her when she finally decides to kill herself. After she says goodbye to the sweet old couple at the airport, which is part of her fantasy, they almost immediately become creepy and unpleasant. And in the movie she's auditioning for, she's playing a young girl being sexually exploited by an older man. Also, if you believe in such a thing as the Lynch shared universe, it's mildly interesting that Diane says she's from Deep River, Ontario - Deep River was the name of the apartment block in Blue Velvet, where Dorothy was being violently molested by Frank.

3) They're part of Diane's attempts to blame everything that's gone wrong for her on other people, because she's a narcissist that refuse to accept that some or all of her fate is her own fault. In her fantasy, she's the wonderful actress that helps the damsel in distress and is kind to everybody. In reality, she comes across as very petty (refusing to give stuff back to her ex) and jealous (though arguably with good reason), we know that she's not as great an actress as she thinks (she lost the part to Camilla) and literally everything is a conspiracy against her - even up to the point where the sweet old couple were involved in the elaborate conspiracy theory against her that she's fabricated.

I think they've all got merit in their own way.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

RBX posted:

Seeing what you guys say about Fire makes it sound so amazing, if only I could fine the time to watch the series. I take it I shouldn't spoil myself and watch Fire first right?

At the very least you should watch up until half way through season 2, at the point where there's a big reveal about what happened to Laura. It kinda takes a nosedive in quality for a little while after that (do not feel bad about fast forwarding through basically any scene with James in it) and there's an abruptly introduced new 'villain' who is pretty drat stupid, though the finale is incredible and really, really should be watched.

If you watch FWWM without at least watching up to the big reveal in the series, you will probably regret it. A big part of the appeal of FWWM, for me at least, is how very different it is from the series. All the charm, quirkiness and loveable nature is just shot to pieces, and you're left with a bleak, miserable and often terrifying view of the town you've grown to love - because now you're seeing it from Laura's point of view.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Also the White Lodge is Club Silencio, and the woman behind Winkie's has a striking resemblance to certain denizens of the Black Lodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Captain_Person posted:

The Super Mitchum Brothers are one of the highlights of the season.

They're almost as good as irrationally angry FBI guy

WILSON HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOOOOOOU?! THIS IS WHAT WE DO AT THE FBI

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 28, 2017

• Locked thread