Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm kinda jealous of you EE guys getting to import a weapon with the genie instead of being stuck with Sarevok's old sword. What let's Bala's Axe's debuff stick, damaging a target with it or just getting a hit in? It it could land through all the potential spell protections I'd grab it and never let go.

Either BG2 Tweaks or Almateria's Restoration included much the same as a component. A weapon ends up in a chest in one of the bedrooms in the later half of the first level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
BG2:EE patch 1.3 let the genie import weapons from a list, as well.

The Burning Earth +1 (Flametongue sword from Durlag's)
Ashideena +2 (War Hammer from Bassilus)
Bala’s Axe, Wizard Slayer (Miscast Magic axe from Durlag's)
Suryris’s Blade +2 (Halberd from Iron Throne Headquarters)
The Grave Binder +2 (Dagger from Undercellar)
Staff Spear +2 (Durlag's)
Staff Mace +2 (Werewolf Island)
Sling +3 (Durlag's)
Varscona +2 (Long Sword from Greywolf)
Krotan’s Skullcrusher +2 (Mace, Durlag's)
Kiel’s Morning Star (Morningstar +3, Cursed, Durlag's)

You'll get the topmost one from the list you had with you if you import from BG1. If you didn't import, you get one suitable for your class. Sarevok's sword is on the trapped demon guy near the plane of air entrance.

Recycling Centerpiece fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 19, 2015

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sworder posted:

BG2:EE patch 1.3 let the genie import weapons from a list, as well.

The Burning Earth +1 (Flametongue sword from Durlag's)
Ashideena +2 (War Hammer from Bassilus)
Bala’s Axe, Wizard Slayer (Miscast Magic axe from Durlag's)
Suryris’s Blade +2 (Halberd from Iron Throne Headquarters)
The Grave Binder +2 (Dagger from Undercellar)
Staff Spear +2 (Durlag's)
Staff Mace +2 (Werewolf Island)
Sling +3 (Durlag's)
Varscona +2 (Long Sword from Greywolf)
Krotan’s Skullcrusher +2 (Mace, Durlag's)
Kiel’s Morning Star (Morningstar +3, Cursed, Durlag's)

You'll get the topmost one from the list you had with you if you import from BG1. If you didn't import, you get one suitable for your class. Sarevok's sword is on the trapped demon guy near the plane of air entrance.

The list made me kind of sad when I found it, because there are so many lame entries on the list. Vanilla +2 poo poo? A dagger with short sword damage? Come on, there are so many better things in BGEE that could have been on the list. Like The Stupefier.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012

The Tyrant Valvatorez has completed the first floor of Durlag's tower. Unfortunately the rest of the tower scares me and I won't be doing that. Got a few more items I want to get, and after that is Theif's maze and finishing this run.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Just the majority of Baldur's Gate's many sidequests for Mr. Kipling today.

:fuckoff:

Only Sunin, Gretek, Degrodel and the final quest for Duke Eltan left before Candlekeep. 5 tomes out of 8 collected.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 19, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
A somewhat abbreviated update for Natsume the Kensai/Druid.

Completed the Unseeing Eye quest with no problems, largely thanks to the Shield of Balduran.

Completed the planar prison quest for the theater troupe. Had some trouble with the Yuan-ti mages confusing Korgan, and Dorn died yet again. Thankfully Viconia had a Resurrection spell memorized.

Completed the shadow temple. I skipped the dragon and will be back for it later. I found an Ioun Stone in the temple, and apparently a Kensai can equip them, so that's neat.

Lastly, we murdered Valygar so we can do the planar sphere next time. After that and Windspear Hills, we'll finally pay off Gaelan and get on with the plot.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm kinda jealous of you EE guys getting to import a weapon with the genie instead of being stuck with Sarevok's old sword. What let's Bala's Axe's debuff stick, damaging a target with it or just getting a hit in? It it could land through all the potential spell protections I'd grab it and never let go.

I really have no idea how Bala's Axe works. Near as I can tell, it's non-magical, so it might fail to get through protection from normal weapons, limiting its use. But as has been pointed out, the list of import items is so rubbish that I feel like it's worth trying. I'll be bringing in the Claw, Bala's Axe, the Chainmail +3, and the pantaloons, of course.

Anyway...

As has been stated numerous times, the Demon Knight is a pushover. He did stun Yeslick (power word hits at less than 80 HP; Yeslick literally had 79) but with Coran and Kivan raining shitloads of Acid Arrows on him, he didn't stay alive long enough to do any meaningful damage.

As ALSO has been stated, the real threat is the Aec'Lectec and also the backstabby cultists. Fortunately, Baldur's Gate is close enough to Ulgoth's Beard that Dynaheir (who failed both scrolls of stoneskin in the game :mad:) cast invisibility on herself before leaving. With the cleric's true sight kit ability, things shouldn't be that tough, but better safe than sorry.

Getting past the cultists was trivial, since my only helmet-less character wasn't targetable. I only had 5 of the "you make all saving throws" potions, though, so Dynaheir went without. Naturally, she got blasted and held and also hit with the "you're gonna turn into a Ghast" curse. A quick arrow of dispelling from Kivan took care of that though.

Since I opened the fight with shitloads of fireballs, and then had Kivan and Coran nuke the rest of the cultists with arrows of detonation, it didn't take long for me to be able to turn my attention to the Aec'Lectec. And given how many potions the game gives you or lets you buy (and at this point I have over 70k gold and literally nothing to spend it on), he's a pushover.

Every character (sans Dynaheir) had: haste, protection from evil, bless, chant, 21 or better strength, automatic saving throws, -10% thac0. Really, I'll bet a group like this could take down Firkraag or something of decent challenge in BG2. That's a LOT of steroids for the party to be on.

Just to be on the safe side, I had Yeslick use his innate dispel (which I think always works). Nobody's going to be turning into a Ghast on my watch!

That just leaves Werewolf Island, the Zombie Farm, and the critical path to the end of the game (Iron Throne fight, etc.). I have done literally everything else. I guess I could gently caress up the Grand Dukes fight, but otherwise I think this is all set.

Strangely, I still haven't quite hit the xp cap.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

With bg ee can I send Imoen and Coran into the upper levels of the tower while everyone else waits a level below for them to pull poo poo to us so if they die so what?

I'm just about done with chapter 5 but I've never finished tales in any run and don't know if I want to risk an ironman for it.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap has cleared trademeet and umar hills.

The druid grove wasn't much of a challenge. I was a little concerned over the duel with Faldorn, but insect swarm and a shapeshift to sword spider ended it very quickly.

I think the statue is a fitting tribute. Around this time Minsc has complained several times about our lack of initiative regarding imnesvale, so it's time to head there.

I decide not to tempt fate and leave the shadow dragon for later. Preferably when I no longer have Yoshimo.

The shadelord goes down without any losses. I've had non ironman runs where he seems to randomly explode a party member and turn them into a shade.
There is no combat log message for it, so I've no idea what causes it or if it can be protected against. My strategy was just to kill him as quickly as possible. Seems to have worked.

After this I return to Amn and clear some more miscellany.

Call lightning is cool. It's just a shame there aren't terribly many relevant outdoor encounters compared to bg1.

I accept a quest to help a poor golden skull down on his luck. Seems legit!

As I'm leaving the docks I set off a chain reaction of events which could have possibly ended my run. I get attacked by generic thugs and without thinking cast a mage spell.
This brings the cowled wizards into the fray, and I run out of line of sight to the right before the squad appears, dropping a summon in their place.
However, at the exact same moment, vampires show up chasing sansuki, get hit by the mages various area of effect spells, and start attacking them.
I continue throwing summons at the brawl, and pick off the stragglers once they have used all their spells. What a mess. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Next time: Maybe I should finally get around to saving Imoen.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hey, does BG2EE fix Azuredge so that it actually slays undead a la the mace of disruption?

Suspicious' post below indicates that it's fixed, but I've no idea if his Azuredge is a function of some other fixpack.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.

FairGame posted:

Hey, does BG2EE fix Azuredge so that it actually slays undead a la the mace of disruption?

Suspicious' post below indicates that it's fixed, but I've no idea if his Azuredge is a function of some other fixpack.

It's working for me and I'm running just base BG2EE. Seems almost underpriced at 3500 gold or whatever.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012

Orrfieldmedic posted:

Managed to beat him tough. Although Dorn died at the end. Then again, Neera died at the end of her quest like as well. I wonder if it means something.

...Valvatorez is going to die in the end, isn't he?

Oh god drat it.

Do I mark this as Death via Death Prophecy? Should I be mad that Sarevok gets all this nice and great loot Valvatorez had on him?

Orrfieldmedic fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 20, 2015

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea, half orc fighter/thief, has made it past the second floor of Durlag's loving tower. would have died half a dozen times if not for the absurdly good combo of Durlag's Goblet + Kiel's Helm. Retreated out to recharge the goblet, so now I have 20 charges of full heal for my trip back in. Also, 6/8 tomes secured.

Edit: For anybody crazy enough to solo this thing, the opening room of Durlag's Keep basement 3, with the constant fireball trap? Helmet of Defense + Ring of Fire Resist + Icingdeath = 110% fire resist. You can lure enemies back to the fireball room and let it weaken them while it heals you, or pop back there for a relatively quick heal-up without risking a rest.

Another interesting detail I only just noticed on this run is in the hedge maze on that level: You can tell when the invisible backstabby dudes are near you because you can hear sourceless footsteps when you're not moving, and the laughter of small children. It helps if you turn the music off.

...then you can lure them back to the fireball room and let it weaken them for you.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 20, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Orrfieldmedic posted:

Do I mark this as Death via Death Prophecy? Should I be mad that Sarevok gets all this nice and great loot Valvatorez had on him?

That inventory :allears:. Valvatorez died because he was too sentimental.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
Update for Julian, Gnomish Illusionist/Thief

Today, we learn what the bare minimum is to get through chapters 4 and 5.

After a quick detour for the Cloak of Non-Detection because it's a Lucky Cloak (killing five Tsoli because I forgot which one had it), it's off to the Cloakwood Mines. Invisibility is great because there were random encounters between each and every map, and invisibility just let me skip them.

I charmed the guard near the entrance to the mines and had him pick a fight with the mercenary group to the south, so I had space to breathe in Chapter 5 after flooding the mines.

Here are Julian's stats just prior to entering the fourth floor of the mines.

I got scared disarming the traps leading up to Davaeorn because I forgot that one of them (apparently) can't be detected or disarmed. Thankfully, a save is made. Then, I chill by Davaeorn until Detect Illusions triggers and his Mirror Image is dispelled.

I charmed the guard and summoned monsters to take care of Davaeorn. Five gnolls died, then five hobgoblins. Davaeorn was then eaten by wolves. I was expecting a much tougher fight, or at least having to summon more monsters.

I abused Invisibility to Baldur's Gate, and immediately went to the Iron Throne. I prepared for a tough fight at the top - a lone Illusionist Thief that has only 24 HP and can cast a pair of 2nd level spells against a doppleganger and six tough adventurers! How can Julian pull through?

Oh yeah. Invisibility.

No experience gained in Chapter 5, now on to chapter 6! Apparently Davaeorn doesn't count as a kill, but as quest experience. Julian is at the entrance to Candlekeep, only slightly more experienced for his journeys on the Sword Coast. The necessary fights in Chapter 7 will be fun to fight at this level.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
See, lemme tell you a story about Mugsy, the biggest poo poo talker the Sword Coast has ever or will ever see.

Mugsy had the worst case of Boneitis that the doctors at Candlekeep had ever seen. Oh Gorion would always say that there was a purpose to his suffering, and Mugsy got around to thinking that the purpose was to make him a miserable rear end in a top hat. Course, that didn't get any better when Gorion told'em that they were leaving to meet up with some friends of his at the Friendly Arm Inn. What ol' Gorion forgot to mention was that there was a hit out on both of them. So yeah, daddy gets killed by the biggest man Mugsy has ever laid eyes on. But it wasn't just that, the man had a crew. Sure most of 'em died, but they only did that so the big one, the leader, could land the final blow. Mugsy needed a crew just like that, and he could use his sweary talents to keep them on edge.

First he got Imoen, who had followed him like a guard dog for most of his life, beating up his bullies and fighting his battles for him, and just minutes from where Gorion got stitched he picked up a crazy but talented thief Montaron, and an even crazier wizard Xzar. They wanted to go to Nashkell to deal with some iron production thing, so Mugsy agreed even though he could tell they had another angle. Along the way they picked up some frightening muscle, Kagain, a real tough brick of a dwarf and a man that Mugsy would put into any gang. Yep, a man that Mugsy would move the world to keep as muscle.

Together they robbed Beregost blind.

Maybe if the town hired Flaming Feet they'd be fast enough to catch Mugsy's crew.

They were making gold hand over fist, until some dwarf runs up yelling about a bounty and cuts Kagain's head clean off. One quick trip to the priest / mayor and it was time to leave Beregost, especially if there were other idiots still trying to collect on killing Mugsy and his departed dad.

Then some half-ogres stomped Kagain into a bloody pile. Back to the Temple, for Mugsy's crew.

All that temple running led the Fists to catch up with them South of Beregost, and Kagain gets a sword through the heart. At this point Mugsy must be one of Lathander's favourite clients. So after getting the priest to say his 'bring-em-back' words, he crew finally gets to Nashkell. There he found a more savy, more foul-mouthed wizard to replace Xzar and has Montaron take him into a back alley to give Xzar 'the bad news'. All that he had to do to get this Edwin's loyalty was kill another, inferior wizard someplace west. Mugsy took up the mayor's offer to check out the mines (eventually), but first went to the fair and rescued a warrior cleric from being stuck in stone. Branwen swore undying loyalty to him, that just means that Mugsy got a free employee!

When Kagain came back he asked 'What did it this time?' , well Kagain some wizard went ape-poo poo when we entered his tent and said he kill some other wizard if we didn't back off. So when I said that I didn't care, he offs her and then starts casting on us! Wizards, right? Least this time Kagain had company in the waiting room in the sky. Montaron, ya get a gold star for effort but yer a ways off of Kagain's four.

So Edwin's getting shifty about the other wizard he has to kill (wizards, right?) so we travel West, but first make a side trip to see another wizard about some spells.

5 points to Kagain, give that man a gold star for having his throat eaten by some kinda undead!

On the way back to the temple a chicken, a damned chicken, comes running up to Mugsy shouting that he's a wizard! So Mugsy agrees to haul the... chicken back to his master, after getting Kagain back on his feet, of course. The wizard in the squat tower talks for a while about the... chicken stealing his cursed wizard stuff, and blah blah blah, turns out the chicken is a wizard and Mugsy doesn't get squat for his help. Wizards, right?

We get nearly to the coast, with Edwin leading us straight into a crumbling fortress full of dogmen. He says his wizard is inside, Mugsy says don't dogmen eat people, but no Edwin shrieks that he's got to kill her himself. Mugsy ain't one to stand in front of a grudge so we fight in, clear it out all the way to the top until the biggest dogman in the whole drat place slices Kagain in two. 6 points, new record, buddy!

The big one goes down, but three more dogmen rush out of nowhere and without Kagain to stopper them, Mugsy pulls out a wand he robbed from Beregost and lets fly with a bolt of lightning... that he completely misgudges the angle of. 2 points to Monty!

Branwen rushes forwards to see if she can get eyes on Edwin's mystery wizard, and draws even more dogmen! So Mugsy repays her by blasting them with another shot of the ol' lightning rod. Too bad it arced back on Branny, 1 point to you darlin'.

All jokes aside, Mugsy nearly shat himself when the last dogman cuts him up something fierce, but Edwin proves his loyalty by badly throwing a dart throw its snout and into its dog brain. He wants to keep going, but I pull the team out, the temple needs Mugsy's gold dammit and he ain't taking no for an answer!

After explaining to the priest of Helm that Mugsy should have his guards returned to him for a modest fee, he reads a strange tome that makes even more of a likeable jerk, and gives a speech to the crew that they ain't stoppin' 'till that wizard of Edwin's is burger meat!

Course there ain't no words in the world that can stop Kagain from gettin' killed. I'm startin' to think that he enjoys it in some sick way. Finally Edwin finds his wizard and everyone is so pissed that they tear her apart. Edwin swears his loyalty for a year and a day, which sure is some wizard talk. Wizards, right?

Back in Nashkell the crew goes to take a rest at the inn, but another assassin jumps them in the stupidest way possible, by announcing herself as an assassin. Branwen commands her to kneel, and Kagain for once kills something before it can kill him. As we celebrate the bloodletting over some wine, Mugsy reads the letter the lady had with shaky, Boneitis ridden hands. It couldn't be coincidence, someone out there wanted him and not just his dad dead.

OOC: The biggest problem with having Kagain as a meat-tank on Insane is that he's already a full level behind everyone else because he just can't stay alive. I lost two sets of plate armour and one set of Ankheg plate in the Gnoll fortress, I had to drop them and flee at unencumbered speed when another three gnolls spawned at the entrance, but Mugsy is still kicking! Plus I got Melicamp so :toot: On to the mines next. Future updates probably won't be this long, but I wanted to include every Kagain death because it's so funny to me to see the best character in my party die over, and over again.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 20, 2015

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My Great Aunt Petunia the Shadowdancer

So in Nashkel, Neira is still a dummy who walks out of the inn to meet a bunch of guards. And Rasaad decides to stop annoying the locals long enough to get a piece too.

Shut up Rasaad.

After talking to the mayor, the stupid time limits imposed by Jaheira/Khalid/Monty are gone, so I do some exploring. Xvarts die...

I run into Drizzt, who gets out of this situation in spite of my best efforts to keep him distracted (and I sure as hell wasn't attacking him in an Ironman run). Too bad, I wanted his armor.

The ogres the dude in Beregost wanted dead...

Heading back there, I try to pickpocket Algernon, which doesn't work so I just kill him for his cloak instead. Not like there's anyone up there to call the guards.

I talk away Basillus's skeletons and then he surprisingly doesn't put up much of a fight thanks to some lucky spell interruptions.

...then I walk right into Hobgoblins. The Ghast kills Kagain faster than I can heal him before I win out. Boo.

And then I get no reward for Bassilus due to claming I was Greywolf. I don't remember that happening before. *Whoops*.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

And then I get no reward for Bassilus due to claming I was Greywolf. I don't remember that happening before. *Whoops*.

That might be because it's the priest in Beregost who wants Bassilus dead.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

netcat posted:

That might be because it's the priest in Beregost who wants Bassilus dead.

Maybe he meant Capt Brage.

I'm still slowly clearing out the countryside with Drouin. Had to get Imoen back up to level to get her thief skills back before doing some areas but is all good now. Pretty close to doing the bandit camp, but needed to lower my reputation a bit first...then that flaming fist that was looking for Samuel was a giant dick to me so I provoked him and well drat I didn't know they lowered your rep 8 points when you kill one! Guess I've got plenty of room to do good rewards now

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007
The Red Queen has exited the underdark, felled Kangaxx, and now stands at the doorstep of the elven city Sundesomething. Onward to victory!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Natsume the Kensai/Druid has cleared the planar sphere.

There may not be any more screenshots from me, as BG2EE now crashes when I try to screenshot it. It also happens with BG1EE, but not other games. Anyone know why that would happen? I'm running the game on Steam.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 20, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Natsume the Kensai/Druid has cleared the planar sphere.

There may not be any more screenshots from me, as BG2EE now crashes when I try to screenshot it. It also happens with BG1EE, but not other games. Anyone know why that would happen? I'm running the game on Steam.

Back up your saves and verify the game caches?

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I thought I'd give this a shot. I've never beaten BG1, I usually lose interest around Baldur's Gate proper, and I've never even played BG2. Woo. Let's do this.

Introducing Eldomar, Elven Priest of Helm

What a badass, don't ask how long it took me to roll those stats.

Pretend there are some images of Eldomar running around Candlekeep doing errands and buying armor and a shield, gotta get that sweet sweet -1 AC to protect from ...

gently caress.

gently caress

vv I think it's from SCS. The other guy does it too. If you break line of sight with them they'll also Hide in Shadows.

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 20, 2015

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Since when can Shank poison you :|

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second has cleared the Bandit Camp! Still haven't been killed by Neera, though my heart stop when she wild surged for petrification. Fortunately she was targeting enemies.

But I have no pictures; I've run into a bug: whenever I press f12 to take a screenshot, BGEE crashes (so does BG2EE). Anyone know what might have caused this?

Edit: seems that I have run into the same bug as Mountaineer.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Have yall tried using a different screenshot program or a different key? I assume F12 is Steam's screenshot button you could try to map it to something else (I am using t for Fraps) Steam tab> settings> in-game.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Printscreen lets BG take screenshots internally and save them in your BG save folder if Steam is causing problems.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I've remapped the screenshot key, I've verified game cache, and I've even completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game. It still crashes when I try to screenshot. I'll just have to use printscreen even if it's less convenient.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

netcat posted:

Since when can Shank poison you :|

Shank and Carbos are both level 1 assassins in SCS.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 20, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Introducing Gimmick, Human Inquisitor.

Yes another Inquistor. Fear not this isn't the same setup with a different PC name. CHARNAME might be called Gimmick but the real gimmick is actually found somwhere else.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the "cannon" party. But let me introduce them again, just bear with it. First off right outside of Candlekeep we hook up with:

Yes, Imoen the human... Skald.

And after some adventuring. Okay lets be honest. After some wolf dodging. We pick the friends of our old foster father:

Yup, Jaheira the Shapeshifter and Khalid the Wizardslayer. That looks about right. So we adventure down to Nashkel, do some small sidequests and meet a man with a classical dilemma.

So we help Minsc the Beast Master out with that and finally are joined by his witch friend.

Okay sorcerer. So if you had not figured it out yet. This is the cannon Baldurs Gate 1 party but fitting members have had their classes or kits changed to correspond with all four Overcoming Adversity classes/kits.

So whats the deal with Dynaheir ? Well I already threw away any chance at Purist by using Level 1 NPC to change the classes of the other npcs. This party can use some help considering its otherwise unchanged difficulty from the previous run/setup. And a sorcerer with the ring of wizardry has a lot of help, in the form of Sleep:

Lets discuss the more "special" members of this party a bit, beyond the obvious part where they changed class.

Wizard Slayer Khalid: As you may have noticed the npcs are still using their original statlines. Khalid has always been a somewhat mediocre fighter. Wizardslayer just makes it worse. I guess the stacking miscast chance might be useful but it is a niche application. At low levels his magic resistance is in no way worth it. In fact Jaheira has him beat for that.

Beastmaster Minsc: So Beast Masters only low level advantage for all its disadvantages is that it gets a pet. A sort of Summon Familiar but for Rangers. Let me show you what it looks like:

Nevermind. At least when he starts gaining cleric spells he'll have great summoning spells at the early spell levels.

Skald Imoen: Bards don't get a full thief skill array. They just get pickpocketing. So that means no disabeling traps for me except by running over them. Bashing and the spell Knock will do for the locks though. I picked Skald because that bardsong is preferable to the other offerings and I don't feel impacted by the pickpocketing penalty. I already snatched the cloak anyway.

Shapeshifter Jaheira: Actually I don't think its that bad. Especially since Stratagems solves the buggy shapeshift problem by turning the shifted form into a weapon you can equip or unequip. The biggest problem is that she'll be stuck with a mediocre AC and a single attack. That single attack hurts.

---

Before this post I completed the basic set of things most people would along the way to pick up Dynaheir. I grabbed the Tome[1 of 8] in the caves blow the Gnoll Fort and snatched the Cha Cloak up in Beregost. Next time, I go do the Nashkel Mines. And I start a per NPC death counter. I think I'll need it.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That looks like a blast to play, Tzarnal.

I'm glad it isn't me playing it, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

docbeard posted:

So, I was thinking of doing something else with my next try.

But...naah.

Gentlemen. We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better. Exactly as strong. Dumber than he was before.

I give you...HULK II - THE SMASHENING

Astonishingly, I did not have to cheat to get those exact stat rolls.

Not Born Hero, not Purist. Core Rules difficulty, and I think I've got NWN-style hit points happening (so I shouldn't be seeing max rolls but they should be pretty good). Mod list is more-or-less the same as before. Most notably I have SCS installed (hahahahakillmenow) and the BG1 NPCS NEVER SHUT UP mod (seriously just kill me) but I did remove the item randomizer, as it mostly seemed interested in randomizing the early treasure hoards to "nothing".

When you level up double check your HP. Unless they fixed it NWN style hitpoints from the tweak pack has a hilarious bug where it gives Barbarians way, way too many hitpoints, like 40 per level.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hahaha, I don't think I'm getting anything quite that egregious, but HULK definitely has about twice the hp of anyone else in the party. I'll have to check when I get home to see if anything especially ludicrous is going on. (Hopefully yes.)

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Do you have a link for those portraits Tzarnal? They look pretty neat.

Here's a quick update for Mr. Kipling.

First, the final 3 sidequests before the Iron Throne building.

Gretek and the maulers were not a threat. I took out the weak mage 1st, then Gorpel Hind and his group helped me kill the others.

:fuckoff: I really didn't want to deal with Sunin's bullshit, so I murdered him before he could act.

A potion of defence and an oil of speed was enough to deal with Degrodel's guardians. It's hard to die when you have -12 AC. I kept the cloak and sold the helm, thieves can't use it.

The Iron Throne was the last stop in the city, and the fight on the 5th floor is changed in SCS.

These 2 helpful fellas cover the major change quite well, there are two extra enemies to fight. The 2 mages are Naaman and Alai, the 2 priests are Diyab and Aasim, the 2 warriors are Gardush and Zhalimar and the 2 assassins are Kaalos and Shennara. The assassins are the 2 extra enemies. The AI improvements (Smarter mages and priests etc.) also allow Alai and Aasim to use their wands.

To deal with this, I equipped the boots of grounding and buffed with potions of insulation and fire resistance, an oil of speed and the shield amulet. I had to re-use the latter two once more during the fight. I also needed to use several potions of extra healing.

First, I dealt with these two, removing two of the 4 casters from the fight.

I somehow managed to split the two warriors from the 2 remaining casters and got to work on killing the more fragile casters.

Alai went invisible and ran away after realising his wand was useless. I caught up with him later. Aasim ran out of dangerous spells and was cut down quickly.

Then it was just a matter of killing the stragglers with backstabs. They are much less dangerous without caster support. Zhalimar still hits like a truck though with that halberd.

The 2 Shennara's had different equipment, so that's just a little cosmetic error with their names.

Lastly, there was Alai. Luckily, the Wand of Sleep still tries to affect invisible enemies within its AOE, so it was simply a matter of finding him and hitting him with the Necklace of Missiles.

Eventually I managed to corner him and he died.

Next stop is Candlekeep.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 20, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Ilyich posted:

Do you have a link for those portraits Tzarnal? They look pretty neat.

The set I used during my first attempt was from Pennea, no mod for those, just manually added the images and edited the npc's with Shadowkeeper.

The set I'm using in this run is actually a mod called PaintBG. Art by artastrophe.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap has completed chapter 3 (bg2), and is heading to spellhold.

I guess it's time to stop delaying and rescue Imoen.

Nalia, it's like you're not listening.

First there are a few items I want to pick up before hitting the underdark, namely the shield of balduran. I kill the enemy party in the sewers for their stuff.

I figure it's time to get the illithium ore since I'll be grabbing the mace of disruption soon anyways.

The vampire guild is trivialized by Minsc using azuredge. I don't think anyone takes a hit from a vampire the whole time, besides summons of course.

Immediately after Anomen is judged worthy. Convenient timing, that.

I still need some more gold for the items I want, so I finish off the Mae'var quests in the docks.

I also fight off the harper hold ambush before I leave, and complete the next step in the druid stronghold quests. I can't do any more until I hit level 14.
Interestingly I believe the chaos manifestation is the only thing I've every seen cast polymorph other in the game. I might be wrong, though.

The party gets off the boat to brynnlaw and deals with the vampire ambush.

That's it for now. On to spellhold!

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.
I was curious so I just did a quick Ctrl-F through both threads for "Meli" and "Chic":

Melican :) - 5
Melican't :( - 11
Meli-dropped-as-treasure-by-the-protagonist-for-Sarevok - 1

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I've added a new category in the OP to sort out adventurers who have gone inactive. For the time being I'm defining that as characters who haven't had an update posted in the new thread, but as time goes on I'll move characters there if I feel like it's been too long since they posted.

I suppose this also makes for a handy way to see when this year's challenge winds down.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I'm really tempted not try my Avenger in BG2:EE until they fix the bug where Sword Spider isn't immune to web, but that will probably take months :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't mention it in here, but you can add 1 to the Melican count, as he survived the attempt for Stabs McBadidea.

In other news, Stabs McBadidea has completed Durlag's Tower

It turns out that the Greenstone Amulet you can get in Ulgoth's Beard exposes a weeeeee flaw in the demon knight's AI if you're soloing. Namely, if you have temporary buffs up (and I wish I'd known this before I blew a bunch of rare potions), he is scripted to insert a Remove Magic spell before he goes into his other script. What's more, if you rebuff, his script will start over going right back to that remove magic.

What this means, at least if you're soloing and have good fire resist, is:

Activate Greenstone Amulet prefight.
1) Demon Knight casts Remove Magic, you attack for a round.
2) Demon Knight casts Fireball, you attack for a round.
3) Demon Knight casts Power Word: Stun, you use Greenstone Amulet, which goes first.
4) Goto 1

This will repeat until he's out of spells and just attacks you. Even better, if you're like me and killed Drizzt, you can equip Icingdeath + Ring of Fire Resistance + Helm of Defense (or some other source of permanent fire resist) and have 100% or higher fire resist, making the fireball part of the script worthless, giving you two full rounds of attacks (or two spells) per cycle.

• Locked thread