Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

NinjaDebugger posted:

What this means, at least if you're soloing and have good fire resist, is:

Activate Greenstone Amulet prefight.
1) Demon Knight casts Remove Magic, you attack for a round.
2) Demon Knight casts Fireball, you attack for a round.
3) Demon Knight casts Power Word: Stun, you use Greenstone Amulet, which goes first.
4) Goto 1

This will repeat until he's out of spells and just attacks you. Even better, if you're like me and killed Drizzt, you can equip Icingdeath + Ring of Fire Resistance + Helm of Defense (or some other source of permanent fire resist) and have 100% or higher fire resist, making the fireball part of the script worthless, giving you two full rounds of attacks (or two spells) per cycle.

Clearly we need a video of Xan, wearing a ring + moon blade + robe of resistance, soloing the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second has completed the Cloakwood mines!

Also, pretty much everything to the south the the FAI in is done, expect the firewine ruins, ulcaster, and Durlag's, but including Adoy's Enclave for Neera.

The woods themselves were not an issue. Coran was subbed in for Kivan to do thief duties, and was eaten by spiders once or twice, but otherwise served fine. The wyverns were taken down with blind and hold.

For the band of mercenaries outside the mine itself, I decided to initiate operation: Death by Neera. I moved the rest of my party far away, and than had Neera used Nahal's Reckless Dwemer to cast Cloudkill from the edge of LOS. I figured that the worst that could happen was Neera killing herself and having to make a run back to the FAI to res her.

Miraculously, the plan went off without a hitch:

One mage was killed, and the rest of the party were so low on hp that they were easy pickings.

Emboldened by that success, I decided to try the same trick against Davaeorn.

Welp, it was bound to happen eventually. Poor Coran cowered in a corner, hearing the brutal battle between the demon and the mage. Davaeorn got some good licks in with lightning bolts and fireballs, but eventually he simply exploded into gibs. I'm guessing he failed the saving throw to a death effect, as the combat log doesn't show the demon landing a hit.

I lost out on the xp, but it was certainly exciting! I waited for the demon to return to its home, and looted his crib in peace. Rolf has learned a valuable lesson: using wild magic during critical boss fights is a great idea! To be fair, he does only have 3 int...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My Great Aunt Petunia the Shadowdancer

So it's more exploring. I find good old Melicamp. Surely he'll survive on my watch.

Y..no, no he doesn't. Farewell Melicamp. May flights of angels carry you to your rest.

Hey, a water nymph. Khalid, go give her a kiss. Your wife won't mind.

So he dies, she rezzes him, then the ensuing fight with Droth goes well until he suddenly just decks Khalid and Monty out of the blue right before dying. Well, so much for exploring this area. Retreat to Beregost.

I only just now realized the trustworthy halfling from that letter was probably Monty.

Cashing in my chips at the Temple for Brage...I mean Bassilus...

Off to the Gnoll Fort, taking along Minsc and Rasaad for his usual role of Another Body. Also he's a poet.

Gnoll Land is relatively uneventful. Hey Rasaad, get out.

Stay put Edwin. I'll be back for you once I can get rid of Dynaheir without losing Minsc.

Wandering aimlessly trying to find Brage. I find the best thing in the game instead.

Godspeed, good sir.

And there you are, way the hell off in the middle of nowhere. At least the riddle is easy, and then I'm autoported back to Nashkel. Time for...brr, round two vs Greywolf. At least I'm not bringing Neera.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
So, after nearly completing an ironman and finding out that Dukes of Baldur''s Gate and nymphs can survive months in a backpack without food or water. After earning a special place in the melican/can't count, I think I am going to do one more run and then call it quits. I guess I will be giving this another try.

Go Go Wildmages~

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I only just now realized the trustworthy halfling from that letter was probably Monty.

Nah, when you get the letter you killed a bunch of ogrillions and there's a halfling corpse on the ground. You can't interact with it so you can miss it, but it's there to show that yeah, poor guy got smashed by the ogres before reaching Beregost.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Liana the Archer has completed the mines, despite nearly dying to a trap and then Mulahey, because I'm an idiot. But somehow I pulled through thanks to the wand of missiles and I'm now back in Nashkel, about to clear the rest of the southern maps. Nimbul went down like a chump.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007
The Red Queen has felled Jon Irenicus!

Honors: Ironman, Purist, Honorable Trader, Gaxkang's a Wuss, Roleplayer

Her mightiness is now camped on the front steps of the fire giant temple in ToB.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Mr. Kipling has learned of his divine heritage and killed Prat in Candlekeep.

SCS hardly touches Chapter 6 at all, in fact there is only one major change to the entire chapter. This makes the chapter an easy one, even solo.

These 5 ogre magi are moved from the Baldur's Gate Docks to here for an ambush. They have virtually no spells and low HP. They died quickly.

I travelled to the High Hedge after escaping the Catacombs, and was ambushed by Molkar's group of thugs. They were a mere speedbump. Both this group and Lamalha's group are moved to the "waylaid by enemies" ambush areas by SCS, after your PC reaches level 3 and kills Mulahey. This was the 1st of the 2 encounters I got, due to a complete lack of wilderness sidequesting after Nashkel. Hopefully I'll find the 2nd group fairly soon.

Next time, a final round-up of the wilderness sidquests that I've not yet done.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Hoo boy have I got a new one for you guys.

The continuing adventures of Mugsy and his gang!

So Mugsy runs down to the Nashkell mines, but gets sidetracked by some loon carving a lady's face into a cliff.

Turns out it's that guy who stole the emeralds. He asks for just one more hour to finish his work, and with Mugsy being fond of the finer arts, he lets it happen. Then this pumped up thug rushes up to the group yelling about wolves and bounties, but this one's Mugsy's and he ain't giving it up, even if the jacked up thug caves in Kagain's head. Mugsy can get Kagain a new one. 7 big guy, 7.

They get into the mines and its a cakewalk. Imoen takes care of the traps, Monty scouts ahead, and the rest of the crew cleans up. Don't know what the fuss was about, it was just kobolds. Plus in the chest of stuff that the crazy guy leading the whole operation had was a scroll that Mugsy memorized, a scroll that should keep Mugsy safe from future attacks.

So Mugsy and his crew went wandering after turning in the emeralds and the mine bounty. First they committed genocide.

Then they ran into some Southeners too big for their britches, who of course kill Kagain for his 8th title.

Montaron wants in on the action and gets his 4th death of the crew. The Southerners all scatter once Edwin puts the fear of... horror in them. Interestingly one of them has a scroll on them which lets Mugsy summon a creature made of dust, just to serve him! Gang's gettin' bigger.

As they wander they run into a lady hunting for Gibberlings, but Mugsy don't realize that she's a Paladin before it's too late and she kills Branwen. 2 for you darlin'. She goes down easily enough after that.

How many freakin' bears live in the sword coast anyways? 5 Monty, you're speeding up!

Mugsy get's a nice idea now, why be bandits when they could just kill the bandits for their spoils and then get the bounty? Monty agrees, promptly taking an arrow in the forehead. 6 good buddy, you're almost there. The new dust monster plays it good, partially blinding each bandit.

Mugsy tracks another pack of bandits out west, even getting some info about their bosses from a Hobgoblin in the same region. His crew is almost through the bandits when a Hobgoblin, just blinded by the dust monster, rushes forward and cuts it in half. Mugsy... Mugsy just screams and crumples in on himself as the extra magic from his familar dyin' sets off the last stage of Boneitis. His last words were remembered by all at the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O1TbUHGN_k

:negative: RIP Mugsy: Death by Familiar death. :negative:

So I completely forgot that a familiar's death could actually kill you . In all the times I've played a mage I've had familiars die every so often but I never had one fail the save. I'm just sad that I never got to try Firewine Bridge with Mugsy, goodbye sweet weak prince.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Haha, I'm so happy my goony thread title submission was chosen. :feelsgood:

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap has escaped Spellhold and reached the underdark.

Not much to say about brynnlaw. We grab the wardstone and then get thrown in the asylum for fun anyways.

Permanent stat losses are the best stat losses!

Cap's dominion over bears allows him to defeat the bhaal manifestation in the dream.

The asylum dungeon itself presents little problems. I make sure to get the ring of free action.

The party manages to survive the first direct combat with Irenicus.

The experience reward for the city of caverns quest seems to be rather generous.

Time to head into the underdark. This is further than I've ever been in an ironman run; we'll see if I can avoid dying in a stupid way in this chapter.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Trundel posted:

:negative: RIP Mugsy: Death by Familiar death. :negative:

So I completely forgot that a familiar's death could actually kill you . In all the times I've played a mage I've had familiars die every so often but I never had one fail the save. I'm just sad that I never got to try Firewine Bridge with Mugsy, goodbye sweet weak prince.

This may or may not top death by random lightning strike. RIP Mugsy, hopefully you'll be reunited with your familiar in hell.

Kagain 8, Montaron 5, Branwen 2, Mugsy... 1.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So I guess the conceit is that if the main character dies then they get folded into one of the other Bhaalspawn instead of being able to be resurrected? That just seems like a lovely artificial difficulty thing, considering the already harsh encounters. Does PC death equal a game over in the sequel? I realize that this is kinda moot because of ironman, but I'm just curious.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pvt.Scott posted:

So I guess the conceit is that if the main character dies then they get folded into one of the other Bhaalspawn instead of being able to be resurrected? That just seems like a lovely artificial difficulty thing, considering the already harsh encounters. Does PC death equal a game over in the sequel? I realize that this is kinda moot because of ironman, but I'm just curious.

Yes. As do things that aren't PC death but otherwise tricks the game into thinking he's not there.

PC getting imprisoned is a game over, which I think is pretty dumb since you can still win the fight and then cast freedom.
PC getting petrified is a game over; see my previous comments.
PC getting charmed if he's last ally standing ends the game. This one makes thematic sense, I guess, since you could just tell a charmed guy to kill him/herself, but all of us in this thread are decking our our PCs in the most absurd stuff, and in the sequel I'm sure the magically-inclined players will cast "contingency = helpless, casts invisibility or something".

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
This just happened to me.

Highest roll I've ever seen. And yes, that is the initial roll. Guess I'm gonna take another shot at this thread.

Up until this point I'd just been deleting the saves of characters that die/bore me, keeping it truly ironman, but this character will probably die and then i'll just migrate over to the other thread.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea, solo Fighter/Thief has absolutely loving annihilated Sarevok's minions and is pursuing the Iron Throne leaders into Candlekeep!

it wasn't even hard. Snuck past them towards the back, left just one in sight, and while hasted started firing 3 Arrows of Detonation per round. It only took four or five of them.

If explosions aren't your last resort, you didn't use enough.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HULK II has mostly been doing boring stuff, like indulging Imoen in looting Beregost of everything of value, killing the odd spider, and having Khalid raised from the dead when he got eaten by wolves.

Though a funny thing did happen on the way to Nashkel...

SILLY ARMY, FISTS ARE NOT FOR FLAMING, FISTS ARE FOR SMASHING! ALLOW HULK TO DEMONSTRATE!

Now HULK II is in Nashkel. Khalid had some important Harper business to deal with elsewhere, but we picked up a kindred spirit in Minsc, a somewhat less kindred spirit in Edwin (what could go wrong?) and are now kicking it at the Carnival, where we've pressed an ex-statue into service.

Oh, and I did check, and Hulk's been getting about 15 HP per level, which isn't quite max (between barbarian hit dice and 19 con) but he's still well ahead of everyone else.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My Great Aunt Petunia the Shadowdancer

So Greywolf, who immediately catches me off guard by not doing the usual NPC thing of talking to my closest party member, but marching right to Petunia before things start. Eep.

Still no big problems, although Kagain sure likes taking a beating.

...note to self, stealthing and then scouting with Petunia doesn't work so well when there are traps.

Minsc gets killed at the flame arrow Kobolds, necessitating a trip back to Nashkel since I need him shortly. Sigh.

And back again. I have a cunning plan for Mulahey. Hide everyone over here, send Minsc alone into trigger him, equip the Berserk Sword and wait while he hacks up Mulahey and the summons.

...that plan could have gone better. I would have died if I wasn't using a Shadowdancer so Petunia could stealth right in front of the Kobold legion. Minsc gets Mulahey to Injured before catching a Hold Person and dying., which lets my group escape the room. Then we duck and dodge from the room until the summons are all dead, duck and dodge some more until Mulahey wastes his spells then swarm him to death.

And I replace Minsc's corpse with Xan, because why not. Furthest I've made it in any run yet, yay.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I tried a solo Assassin game and got killed by Monty of all things.

Wasn't even worth posting.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Stabs McBadidea, Solo Fighter/Thief has braved Candlekeep, completed the Librarian cheevo, saved Duke Eltan, and chased Sarevok's dumb rear end into the sewer.

I thought I was completely hosed for a moment, though. Since I am a goddamn level 11 thief, I didn't bother with crawling the sewers and whatnot, I just stealthed up and let nobody talk to me at all, so the shadow thieves didn't help me and I had to just walk, still stealthed, into the undercellar, where... one of the two assassins waited for me. The lady assassin never actually showed up, and since she has some of those incriminating papers, I kind of had to hope that they weren't necessary.

Luckily, turns out they weren't.

The next time I post will likely be either my death or Sarevok's.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Joebungaloe posted:

The Red Queen has felled Jon Irenicus!

Honors: Ironman, Purist, Honorable Trader, Gaxkang's a Wuss, Roleplayer

Her mightiness is now camped on the front steps of the fire giant temple in ToB.

Could we get a screenshot or ten? Yeah, honor system and all, but we like pretty pictures and you haven't posted any in this thread(or the previous one) so far. Plus you're doing the best by far of anyone, so we wanna see what you've got.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alright, let's wrap this, shall we?

Hey, when I was a dorky teenager I read books starring this guy, too! They're worse than the Drizzt books.

The Candlekeep Library has so many books that the developers apparently ran out of ideas.

Catacombs were no trouble at all; got both tomes, nuked a bunch of skeletons, and found this at the end. This seems new; I don't remember this spell at all. I'm also not going to use it. While protection from normal weapons sounds cool, being unable to cast spells doesn't. I guess for a fighter/mage it'd be a neat trick though!

The game glitched a little bit on my way out. Arkanis followed me around. I was a little concerned he'd transition to Baldur's Gate and bring the Flaming Fist into a fight, but he stopped hanging out after this screen.

I psyched myself into thinking this'd be tough, but 4 hasted fighters with crazy strength + bless + chant meant that even Lila Jannath got to survive. She never survives.

Remember how I said I was clearing all the fog of war in the game? I meant it. gently caress this maze; at least the pathfinding is marginally better than it was 15 years ago.

I feel like the party here (which is a totally optional fight, but not if you want to clear all the fog of war in the game) is actually tougher than Sarevok's bunch. They all have high HP, really low thac0, and those damned arrows of detonation are just as unfair when the enemy uses them as they are when I use them. Coran ate it, and I wasn't about to turn around and trudge back through the Thieves' Maze, resurrect him, trudge through the maze again, and continue. This ends tonight.

Strategy: everyone drinks potions of heroism, storm giant strength, speed, fire res, cold res, lit res, power, magic res, cast chant, cast bless, cast remove fear, cast protection from evil 10" radius. Mazus summons his skeleton army, which is hasted by Dynaheir.

He then casts Sanctuary (a great and underrated spell) and takes them up to taunt Sarevok.

Then things kinda go to hell because Angelo really just ruins everything. I wanted to kill Sarevok's lackies first, and Semaj was easy with 1 arrow of dispel and then Yeslick/Minsc looking at him funny. But Sarevok went down crazy quick. Amusingly, when the game came back from credits I got to watch Tazok explode into chunks--he'd been near death when Sarevok fell.

So I guess Angelo survives. What a jerk.

Thus, here's Mazus at the beginning of BG2. I guess the game tracked my xp progress even though it was capped in BG1? Also, despite my fine reputation it gave me Vampiric Touch for my final chapter ability (the last 2 chapters happen so quick I rarely trigger both dream sequences).

Fingers crossed that I successfully imported the pantaloons/claw of kazgaroth/bala's axe/chain +3

In any event, Mazus has cleared Baldur's Gate
Awards: Ironling, Purist, Librarian (though I felt that as a lawful neutral character, I should honor giving the 3rd tome to the Umberlee dudes so I only used 2), Trap Dodger, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, Roleplayer

e: vv Oh yeah, you're right. For some reason "summoned skeletons because they're actually viable" didn't flip the same switch in my head as "surround Sarevok with gnolls and other random poo poo that's useless but keeps him off your back for several rounds.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 22, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

FairGame posted:

Fingers crossed that I successfully imported the pantaloons/claw of kazgaroth/bala's axe/chain +3

I've found that Bala's Axe appears in BG2 even if you never got it in BG1. I got it as a piece of (possibly random) loot in the planar sphere. BTW, someone asked earlier if it counts as a magical weapon and it seems to, as I discovered when Korgan tried to whack a mage with Protection From Magical Weapons.

Also you incorrectly listed Battlemaster as an honor after you wrote that you summoned some skeletons in the final battle. :colbert:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Internet went out earlier this morning. Spent a while watching a movie and hitting re-roll until this happened.

Not quite Foodhan's ridiculous roll, but probably the highest I've had this run.

Meet Bhaal Jr., a Human Inquisitor again because I really want to see the Paladin stronghold.

I used to play nothing but Cavalier paladins way back when. Had no idea how AD&D worked when I first bought it on the recommendation of a friend, so I never got far and eventually got sick of paladins. Didn't play many even after I learned more about the game, but now I wanna try their stronghold again. All I remember is a point where some guards come for a Lord and you're supposed to detect evil on him to make sure he's the real deal. I also remember not getting that and failing over and over. So this'll be fun to get it right!

Hee hee. Makes me laugh each time.

Bhaal Jr., Human Inquisitor has started his journey.

Edit: Also, I realize I forgot to properly format my previous Inquisitor's death post, Koskinator, sorry about that.
Gram the Inquisitor was dissolved by Narcillicus's mustard jellies.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 22, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second has cleared Baldur's Gate, defeated Sarevok's lackeys atop the Iron Throne building, and returned to Candlekeep!

Nothing too interesting, aside from almost getting wrecked by the ogre assassin in the Blushing Mermaid, who was hitting -6 AC Rolf with rolls under 10! Also, the fight against Delgrodel's horrors, doom knights, and stalkers took a long time and required wand use, but Rolf was never in too much danger.

The Iron Throne party got hit with 6 simultaneous fireballs, for a total of 36d6 damage. Poor guys.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Smiling Knight posted:

Rolf the Second has cleared Baldur's Gate, defeated Sarevok's lackeys atop the Iron Throne building, and returned to Candlekeep!

Nothing too interesting, aside from almost getting wrecked by the ogre assassin in the Blushing Mermaid, who was hitting -6 AC Rolf with rolls under 10! Also, the fight against Delgrodel's horrors, doom knights, and stalkers took a long time and required wand use, but Rolf was never in too much danger.

The Iron Throne party got hit with 6 simultaneous fireballs, for a total of 36d6 damage. Poor guys.

Haha, all those icons...

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
So anyway, lets meet the wildmages,

and hamster.

Anyway, candlekeep wasn't a problem, and made it to FAI. Went and picked up an item that I had completely forgotten to grab durning the last run as Valvatorez.

Got to Beregost, and weird things happened when dealing with Neera... I forgot to screenshot it, but it was odd. Tried to kill her so I could get the gem bag without dealing with the red wizard. Failed, and she ran away. Chased after her, and a while later the script for the quest happened, and the wizard and folks spawned between the buildings behind the smith...

She teleported to her original spot, and I never noticed until after I killed the band from They... So Neera got away, and three members of my party died.

Well, atleast when you denied her joining your party, she goes to FAI. So I atleast didn't get screwed out of a gem bag.

And Blue Wildmage survived a lighting bolt to the face.

drat it, I knew I shouldn't have followed this quest. 1 in three chance of success in the ironrun threads, should have taken Melicamp with me and dragged him to Amn. Atleast there should be a wizard there with a higher chance of success. Oh well, hindsight.

Also, killed Greywolf.
Going to grab a few more items, then it's off to the mines for the Wildmages.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Woo look at those stats, that is a Born Hero (though i realize Born Hero in this case is just pure luck, and not making something out of nothing like it was probably intended to be). Gonna die horribly because I forgot to use Armor or Shield.

So Candlekeep, let's do this thing.

Yeah. I'm gonna cheese the poo poo out of the beginning of this game. Cause it's the only part of the game I know. I haven't beaten BG1, haven't even played BG2.

Got 300 gold from Firebead. I guess so I would leave him alone.

Sweet-talking the nobles at the inn, I don't think they had any idea of what I was implying, poor fools.

They put their jewels in this here case, a Star Sapphire and some other nice things.

Other rear end in a top hat upstairs spotted me stealing from his chest so I had to sneak by the guard.

Got some bolts for Fuller..

He gave me a fancy dagger. And, no I didn't give the cow that antidote, gently caress that cow. There are assassins about.

Look at that sweet sweet backstab damage.

Backpack is already full. I think I even sold some things already.

But now it's time to leave Candlekeep...home.

Atleast we leave with a pretty full purse!

Not pictured: On the way to the Friendly Arm Inn we got the obvious; diamond, Ring of Protection, and Ring of Wizardry.

I was pretty scared of Tarnesh so I used my familiar (Imp) to polymorph itself into an Ogre which did pretty good. You can't see it here, but as alluded to earlier, I forgot to use Shield or even Armor.

Went and talked to Landrin about some spiders, she gave us about 900 gold worth of Antidotes because I'm so pretty and charming.

Then myself and Imoen joined forces with Jaheira and Khalid because we kinda need some m-m-m-muscle.

Then we moved on South to Beregost.

We arrived at night. The best time for thievery.

I cleaned out the smithery and it turns out he had a fancy Bastard Sword hidden amonst all his junk.

These are the spoils of the entire town of Beregost, not including a really sweet mace and a Wand of Lightning, and a bunch of junky daggers that I didn't want. I think there were two locks I couldn't pick in the whole town, one of which had a sweet jewel in it, I could smell it.
Only adds up to about 150 gold.

Heard about a mighty wizard nearby who sells magic stuff, and that is exactly what I want. On the way we ran into a GOD drat TALKING CHICKEN who wanted to go see this very same wizard.

The wizard needed a skull, so we went and took one from a skeleton but not before we ran into a Ghast:

I wish it was Jaheira that died. Oh well. I took his junk and resurrected him at the Beregost Temple.

Delivered the creepy/awesome skull to Thalantyr (we're on a first-name basis now) to help the chickenman Melicamp.

Buuuut he exploded. Rest in pieces chickenman, you were powerhungry as poo poo, and it killed you.
OMG did Lord Foreshadow write that last line??

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

My Melicamp died too, if we're keeping track of this. No way it's 50/50.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Mr. Kipling's final wilderness roundup started with Drizz't.

:owned: He's quick and has high HP, but can't see through invisibility. He was chunked by 3 backstabs.

Lamalha's group of assassins was next, they are no real threat in the late game.

Then, I travelled to Gullykin and the Firewine Ruins. They were both cleared with little issue, although the mage in the ruins put up a decent fight.

Outside the ruins, Meilum was no threat. He didn't hit me once, due to a -8 AC on my part.

Kahrk on the other hand, was potentially a real danger.

This is his pre-buff and first spell. He's level 12 and has 4 points in Katana, in a straight fight he would've tore me apart with incredible ease.

However, after a while he decided to cast invisibility and didn't attempt to attack me again. Eventually I cornered him (I play with headphones and could hear his footsteps) and killed him with the Necklace of Missiles.

These areas were cakewalks, they're both close to the Nashkel temple so healing was not a concern.

:fuckoff: I killed Mutamin before he could potentially dispel my anti-petrification scroll. Basilisks are not a threat if they can't turn you to stone.

I killed this group only for the Golden Girdle. Not sure if it's that useful in chapter 7, it's most useful in chapters 3 and 4 where there are a lot of enemies using slashing weapons. Still, it's nice to have just in case.

These 4 mages were the final encounter I had to do. They are fairly dangerous until they run out of spells. They ran out of spells.

Next time is the Ice Island for Shandalar.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

It is done. Stabs McBadidea, solo half-orc Fighter/Thief has slain Sarevok and taken his murderous power for herself.

Final tally of XP is about 850,000, split between two classes. Just short of hitting 9/12, which I'm about to import into BG2 with the Helm of Balduran, Chainmail +3, and Burning Earth +1 (because gently caress having a dagger +2 that does shortsword damage when I can have an effective weapon for killing trolls.)

Nothing since my last post was even remotely difficult, including Sarevok and his buddies. I entered hidden, hopped up on performance enhancing potions. Potion of Power, Potion of Clarity, Oil of Speed, Potion of Magic Shielding (the +50% damage resist and automake saves one), Potion of Magic Resist (+50% magic resist, on top of the 25 from Cloak of Balduran), and Scroll of Protection from Fire.

The scroll + potion + ring of fire resist = 140% fire resistance, which meant all three arrows of detonation (per round!) I was firing while in melee were also healing me. Sarevok's mage buddies dropped, then Tazok popped out and failed to kill me, so I popped a potion of invis and backstabbed him to death... and then did the same thing to Sarevok for good measure.

So basically what I'm saying is there's no such thing as too many performance enhancing drugs, kids. Solo safely. Solo high.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
Went east to pick up a nice wand, just had to kill some undead.

How nice that wildmages can use protection form undead scrolls.

Went to do the mines.

Finished the mines.

Went back to town and burned Nimgul to death.

Then went to murder some Red Wizards for teir ring, cloths, and scrolls
...Denak, if half your party is killed by a wizard, you don't talk to them while a fireball is heading towards ya.

Well, in hindsight, this run is much too dangerous for the mages. Infact, they apparently decided that all this iron crisis and bhaalspawn stuff was too much for them and retired from adventuring. Instead, they are going to do odd jobs around the sword coast since that is much safer for them. Infact, they already got their first job.

The Wildmages are guarding a tent, and nothing bad will happen.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap has cleared the the mindflayer dungeon and continues to adventure in the underdark.

Chapter 5 is rather long, I thought I'd split it up into 2 parts.

Freshly arrived from the city of caverns, Cap and his party descend into a fit of bloodlust.

They spawncamp elementals from several different planes until they get tired of being killed immediately and stop coming through the portals.

Like most of Cap's problems, the drow war party is solved by mass bears.

The balor fails to save against a chromatic orb. Too bad for him!

The party clears out the imprisonment cells. During this time Anomen gets imprisoned himself. No matter; he is freed and rejoins the party.

As a side bonus Vithal is simultaneously freed when I cast freedom to get Anomen anyways. I planned that, clearly!

I decided to tackle the mind flayer dungeon after I got the drow disguise but before I start the Ust Natha quest chain.
I figured it'd be better to get at least one of the dungeons out of the way before the time limits start occuring.

It's cleared without much issue. I think only one person got hit once by a mindflayer. Pictured: The elder brain fails to save against chromatic orb.

I also rescue Phaere. After the mind flayer dungeon this encounter isn't very threatening.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

FairGame posted:

My Melicamp died too, if we're keeping track of this. No way it's 50/50.

I never had Melicamp die on me until I started playing ironman. Now every time I do, he dies. The game just knows.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Koskinator posted:

I've added a new category in the OP to sort out adventurers who have gone inactive. For the time being I'm defining that as characters who haven't had an update posted in the new thread, but as time goes on I'll move characters there if I feel like it's been too long since they posted.

I suppose this also makes for a handy way to see when this year's challenge winds down.

I ain't dead yet! I just don't update except on the weekend. Currently doing some TotSC content I've never done.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Minor update from me to say that Liana the Archer is now Liana the Fallen Archer. (Stupid Flaming Fist man looking for Samuel! How are you worth 7 reputation?)

Having said that it doesn't seem to be affecting me much - up to level 4 having disposed of Bassilus and Greywolf, and rescued Brage. Annoyingly Oublek seems to have bugged out and won't let me cash in my bounties - he keeps just telling me about Prism over and over.

Still got a few southern maps to clear before I head for the bandit camp, but I reckon I should be good until I reach Cloakwood now.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Juriana, thief/illusionist

Thalantyr had some cool stuff but not exactly what I was looking for, but he told me about a place where I could probably find what I want.

So we headed north.
Just past the Friendly Arm, Jaheira starts spouting some nonsense about Ankhegs and this was their breeding ground but we didn't see a single one.
We did, however, see some really really really shady dudes, one of which had fancy flail in his hands.

So we killed them and took it. And a pretty cool bowl that they had too.

Continuing north, we ran into a woman whs was.. uh.. pretty adamant that we give her the bowl. So we did. Really, what am I going to do with a bowl in the middle of nowhere?

Finally did see one of those Ankhegs that Jaheira was talking about but it was pretty slow so we just ran past it.

Also we ran into a dude whose farm was pretty much in the middle of a Zombie apocalypse, there were a bunch of'em but they're too slow to be a real threat.

He gave us only 150 gold but sometimes it just feels good to help out you know? Ha. Kidding.
IIRC it's pretty good experience and also there is a Cloak of Protection inside his house, but apparently we didn't have enough lockpicking to get it yet, only 60

Finally we got to the place Thalantyr was telling us about. THE MAJESTIC CITY OF ULGOTH's BEARD!

THE TINY VILLAGE OF ULGOTH'S BEARD. That halfling woman wearing the clownsuit to the east is wearing a very interesting ring that I want, but I don't think it's worth my life to try and get it yet.

But they had what I wanted.

And now we're all broke.

Again, there is some nice stuff here but I don't have the lockpicking requirements to get any of it, I have never come here this early in the game, and was pretty disappointed TBH

So I guess we'll go back to Beregost and hopefully not get ambushed by enemies on the long trip. We did, but it was wolves and they aren't hostile because of whatever mod installs that

At the Red Sheaf Inn we met another assassin:

I hit him in the back of the head to start the fight, really agitating him, but then I was in trouble. Forgot Armor..... again.
But it all ended up fine, and I can see just by looking at everyone's newly formed muscle that they are all stronger than me. I do not like this, I am jealous.

I needed some time alone, to think, so I went for a drink at Feldepost's.

Everyone is level 2 now, and Juriana's thief half is also level 2, but the illusionist half is still 1000xp shy of level 2.

As I was sitting there, listing to some weirdo tell me his stories and his deeds and what he can do, I had an idea.
It just so happens, I know where a semi-powerful giver-away-of-money/wizard lives, so maybe if I watch him work, I will learn a thing or two.

So I hired the chatty guy.

Actually, I hired his Ghast.

Firebead is not pleased with me!

Luckily I can just run upstairs and drink an invisibility potion so that I can get a closer look in relative safety.

Feeling better after learning so much, I went back to my friends and Jaheira.

I forgot that there was some minor things still to do around Beregost and the Friendly Arm. Montage:

No longer broke, sorta. We all very nearly died to Bassilus and his single(?) hostile zombie, but I was too busy running to remember to get screenshots. I had to use Imoen's old Oil of Speed to finally burst damage him. Use it or lose it I guess.
[img not necssary: killing belt ogre and the bandits, keeping good belt]
[img not found: getting Zhurghoaloaangne's sneaky boots, keeping for self]
[img not found: NOT getting Lord Foreshadow's charisma ring for some reason?]

Then we head to Nashkel. Finally.
19 days into our journey. Finally.

We go to the inn to rest up and are attacked by yet another assassin. That I forgot about
I try and duck into a side room so that I can hide and hit the lady in the head but she cast a Hold spell at me and it followed me around the corner. Sorta bad, sorta good. A good place to be held if I'm honest. Great painting in that room.

The other three did well and beat her, with the help of a significant amount of health potions and nearly an entire Wand of Magic Missile. And even a few commoners!

Guess we better go check out those mines. Khalid is getting u-u-u-upset that his swords keep b-br-b-b--brea-b-br-...coming apart.
Unless something else comes up first, of course.

By now, usually I'm either dead, or bored of the character and restart, so basically after the mines/gnoll fortress, I am flying blind.

Did I miss anything? In this post or my previous. I know about the ankheg armor obviously and IIRC there is a wand of..something near the mines

Dorn and Edwin? Or Minsc and Dynaheir? I don't know. I DONT KNOW

Also I do realize that this thread is full of people who probably already know all of the gimmicks and poo poo like killing firebead or going to ulgoth's.. but I figured i might as well take pictures along the way cause it's literally the only part of the game i know well enough.

Joebungaloe
Apr 3, 2007

Koskinator posted:

Could we get a screenshot or ten? Yeah, honor system and all, but we like pretty pictures and you haven't posted any in this thread(or the previous one) so far. Plus you're doing the best by far of anyone, so we wanna see what you've got.

Absotootly!

My beautiful dame after defeating Sarevok:

Sarevok falls:

Kangaxx down:

The Red Queen after her victory over Irenicus:

More to come!

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rolf the Second has cleared the Candlekeep Catacombs!.

Thought it was a miserable experience that has convinced me not to do Durlag's, aside from grabbing the Tome of Understanding aboveground. Good thing there is a pair of boots of elec resist, otherwise Imoen would be gibs on the floor. God I hate lightning bolt bounces.

However, the real fun began with Prat and his boys. See, I had planned to incinerate them like I had the Iron Throne gang, but I accidentally triggered them early and well... this happened:

They got their spells off, but Imoen and Neera were obliterated by the archers in seconds flat. Then Kivan got blasted by all of his 37 (wtf you're a level 6 Ranger with 14 Con) hp by a lightning bolt. Fortunately the surviving enemies were weak enough to get cleaned up, but lack of space meant I had to leave a fair bit of loot behind. Oh, for a bag of holding.

Next I had to deal with the Greater Basilisks. I had planned to use protection from petrification but my mages were indisposed. My skeleton squad took out one of them, but the other was still standing. I had no mirrored eyes and the Extended Edition seems to have removed the "automatically make saves" effect from other potions. I decided to risk it all and put Adoy's Belt on Rolf and have him quaff an invulnerability potion. This put him at 0 to save, which I hoped would make him immune to the gaze attack. That seems to have worked, as the basilisk did not even try to use it.

I made it out of the catacombs and to the FAI, where unfortunately the priest does not give bulk discounts. I think I'll go on a shopping trip to restock, grab the last book, maybe hit up ice island for some xp, and then finish off Sarevok and move on to SoA, which I know way better than BG1, especially in terms of trap locations. Is level 6/6 a reasonable place for a multiclass protagonist to be at the beginning of II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Business as usual with Bhaal Jr.

I swear I've broken more two-hand sword than all other weapon types combined.

Later on I got so caught up with recruiting new members of the party I forgot to buy a replacement.

• Locked thread