Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Finally started this. Rolled a Shadowdancer, playing on insane. Only thing I will do is lower difficulty on levelups so I get max hp per level since it's pretty silly to play on insane without at least doing that.

I will probably die horribly since shadowdancer is not the best idea for an ironman. I figure the stealth will get me out of trouble if needed though and it seems kinda fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Purely random HP rolls should be an honor. Max HP should be a dishonor unless you're playing on insane. NWN style HP rolls should be neither. There's still some randomness but you won't be completely hosed over by it.

Yeah if I was playing core rules I'd just do random hp, but since I'm playing insane that seems like too much of a disadvantage so I'm going to do max HP on level up. Max hp/insane is probably still more of a disadvantage than core/take what you get.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

Just take your badge of shame for max hp and like it. :colbert:

I think if you're playing on insane you should be able to reroll or get max hp. Although a sick twisted part of me is now tempted to just take what HPs I get on level up.

And...you know what, gently caress it, I'll do that. My party is going to get reamed, though. It actually wont be too big of a disadvantage in BG2 though as I think NPCs join your party with decent HP totals. BG1 is gonna be hilarious though. I look forward to my 16 hp level 4 tanks getting slaughtered.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bitched out on trying Insane. Don't quite have the wherewithal for that. Playing core rules/take whatever I get hp rolls.

Things are going remarkably smoothly so far. Finished the Bereghost/FAI side quests and headed to the mines. Shadowdancer/khalid/jaheira/imoen/kivan/neera so far.

e: :lol: I'm so dumb

I forgot that freezing dudes to death destroys the loot, so I just hosed myself out of that longsword +2. that....hurts

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 27, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Aaaag! drat wands of frost! I grab every one I find but then hardly ever use them because of that! I always wonder if it'll end up being the deathblow and hold off on them. May as well just burn them on random hordes or wild animals, all the tough targets typically have good loot you'd want.

I want to say some items are immune to the frost blow up effect but don't quote me on that.

It's funny too because I went longsword/shortbow on my shadowdancer and that's the only really good longsword in bg1. That's alright though shadowdancers get plenty of prof points so I'll be able to adjust. Though I suppose I may need to adjust Khalid too now since he starts with 2 pips in longswords. Might want to switch him to axe for the +2 or mace for the +3 at this point.

e: You can still use wands of frost you just have to be careful to not have them be the killing blow. They are great wands to open a fight with for a quick heavy hit

Mountaineer posted:

I'll be honest, right now I don't feel like continuing this run without Edwin :smith:. There's no evil wizard to replace him with, and even if there was all of his equipment shattered with him. I could forfeit the Roleplayer honor to build up Nalia or Imoen, I guess, but right now I feel like just giving up and reloading.

You should keep going :colbert:. It sucks, but that's the fun of an ironman is dealing with situations like that where you lose a real key party member.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 27, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Close call here. Khalid and Jaheira both bit it.

I opted not to rez Khalid, replacing him with Minsc. Beat that gnoll 1 on 1 with my shadowdancer. I'm always amused by that dialogue option that lets you do that.

Just rescued Dynaheir. Goodbye sweet Kivan, at least for now.

My shadowdancer is currently sitting at level 4. I've done all of the south west up to and including the gnoll stronghold. I did the mines and the vicious bounty hunter fight just outside of that as well. I also had two deaths in that one (Khalid and Jaheira once again) but was able to rez both.

Current plan is to clear the west and then east and then proceed along the main quest path until I get to Baldur's Gate city, at which point I'll shift gears and clear the expanded content. That's usually how I roll and is a pretty good path imo. Clearing everything but BG city puts you in good stead to do TOTSC and then once you clear TOTSC it's pretty much trivial to beat the rest of the game.

I'm a little concerned about my lack of a cleric since remove fear/command are so great and tbh Jaheira is kinda meh as a character in bg1. By bg2 though she will be quite the powerhouse for me, as will Neera. We'll see what happens though a perma death in bg1 could still change everything for me.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 30, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Welp, there goes Nierto, my shadowdancer.

I guess taking Neera was a bad idea. Back to the drawing board

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

That fight is so absurdly difficult for when in the game you get it. It's a BG2-level mage fight in a game where you don't have BG2-level mage debuffs. Your solution to his stoneskin is "hit him a lot" and that's pretty much the only counter you have.

Yeah and it was poor planning on my part to go do that fight. I forgot how tough it is. Part of the problem too is the two melee characters are programmed to hunt down mages so as soon as the fight starts you have to sprint your mages around the room unless you're lucky enough to have mirror image/invis pots to get some breathing space.

I suppose a wand of paralyzation might help me in this fight but I didn't have any. I also didn't have remove fear since Jaheira didn't have it and I hadn't found a scroll yet. It was just really dumb planning by me to even try that fight. Had I more wands or maybe some fire pots it would have made sense, but lacking those I should have just avoided it for now.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Looks like a table that is a lootable area highlighted with alt.

Yep, it's that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well since my shadowdancer run ended now I need to figure out attempt #2. I'm strongly leaning towards Stalker, I think. I didn't get a good deal of time to enjoy the stealth angle and I think a Stalker could be fun and quite powerful.

I would be a little bit worried about his escapability once I drop stealth to backstab but eventually that should be less of a problem with invis items/pots.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hmm now I can't decide either on a character. I was thinking Stalker but then it occurs to me I could just take Valygar eventually for that. I think I'd prefer to make myself a class that is not overplayed and also that is not available in an NPC. Trying one of those weird mage specs could be interesting I suppose...or Avenger, or Skald

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Apparently it's time for my annual "get totally sick from winter bullshit" time, so I made my new dude--a dragon disciple sorcerer. Screw not learning find familiar; I want those HP and it's not like there are a ton of good level 1 spells anyway. Orb, shield, sleep, spook, I guess friends and identify have their uses.

In any event, going with a very magical party once I've got my legs. Xan, Garrick, Eldoth, Edwin, I might even dual Skye. Not as if the +1 int will help a sorcerer. Plus if I make it to bg2 I can make haer'dalis into a real asskicker.

No idea how to play all mages. Never done it before. But people have soloed a Mage, so 6 should be easier in theory...

Spam web, grease, fireball, sleep. Profit.

Lots of mages is fun

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That fighter/illusionist looks like it'll be fun. If I ever feel the desire to play the game again after all these ironman deaths (who am I kidding, of course I will), I might go for a gnome run of some sort. Just not having to deal with player romances alone will make it worth it.

Aerie still dates Gnomes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Attempt #2. Oran the half-elf Skald, with a portrait of a dude who looks like he should work in a comic book store

Gonna sit in the back singing the skald song. Party is probably going to be pretty well loaded with melee/archer power to take advantage of that song.

e: :lol: I immediately died to Tarnesh. Guess I should have got a few more party members first instead of just me and Imoen

ee: immediately re-rolled another Skald since dying to Tarnesh was a quick end to taht run to say the least and I still wanna try the idea. This time I'll try to get a few party members first..

eee: annnnnnnnd neera got my second Skald killed. poo poo. Might give it one more try with the Skald....I really need to just make a beeline for some powerful npcs I guess

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 8, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well Skald #1 died due to Tarnesh. Skald #2 died trying to recruit Neera because she color sprayed my entire party for some reason and then the enemy mage was still standing and he just picked my guys off one by one.

Skald #3

I dunno who I'm going for with this guy. Imoen for sure, and definitely Neera because I love wild mages. He's lawful neutral so he could play well with evil or good npcs, though I guess bringing evil guys would cost me the roleplayer achievement. But whatever, I'm mostly concerned with what would be the best group of npcs to bring along with this character. A strong melee presence seems like a good idea to take full advantage of the song

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That southeast zone with the jellies tough rear end bounty hunter fight was not kind to Khalid. I went back after the bh fight to rez Khalid and then went back to finish it and he died again to the jellies. At least nobody else did. I had to burn a scroll of web on the bounty hunters because Khalid died real fast and that fight was about to get out of hand in a hurry. Skald + Kivan is a pretty deadly combination. Kivan already hits almost everything since missile weapons own bg1 and add another +2thac0 and damage on top of that and he's just a deadly sniper. I don't even have the archery bracers yet. He's gonna be a true beast. The song is actually quite handy in general so far. 2 hit/dmg and -2ac is actually quite substantial in bg1. I imagine by bg2 if I get that far that song will start to feel a bit less useful until I get the level 15 version. It will still be handy since those bonuses are always useful but I think lower levels is where it will really shine. Nevertheless by the time the song feels less useful I'll have decent mage spells to fall back on so the Skald should still be a decent member.

Neera just prompted me to go do her Adoy quest which was what caused my shadowdancer to bite the bullet. I think I'm going to visit high hedge first to buy resist fear and some potions to get me through that fight.

e:

Was afraid this pick pocket would fail since without reloading there would be no way for me to get the nymph cloak until I reach the city of BG and do that other quest that gives one. Fortunately my Ferret succeeded in his attempt. Ferret familiar owns.

and I'm dead...again. Kivan started bitching about doing the bandit camp so I headed that way. Got ambushed by ettercaps in a random encounter and a web trap went off which I was totally unprepared for. Entire party got caught in it and I got quickly killed.

What a bullshit annoying way to die. Why the gently caress did I get ambushed by ettercaps going to Peldvale anyways?

Oh well. I guess the Skald is just not meant to be. That's the third death trying that class. I'm getting kinda annoyed now :colbert:. I've beaten bg so many times and to die this early this many times in a row is frustrating to say the least. I figured I'd die to Durlags or something but not doing the wilderness zones. I'm better than that

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 9, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Edit: Aw man, only just now noticed your edit. RIP Tyren. Also I never knew Kivan actually did run off. I guess something about Tutu messes up his timer, he never complained in any of my games.
Anyway, Kalah bit the big one. Now I'm gonna figure out what order I want to tackle the rest of the game in. I guess I'll leave the sixth slot open as a revolving door to tackle all the character-dependent quests until I settle on someone to use. I really like backstabbing, so I might settle on Valygar as the last permanent addition before Throne of Bhaal where Sarevok takes over. Might dual-class him into thief too.

Yeah he threatened to leave. I hadn't planned on doing the bandit camp that early. My usual strategy is to do Nashkel mines then clear all west then all east zones before hitting the bandit camp-->cloakwood--->TOTSC content (ice maze/durlag's/werewolves) before finishing the game. Kivan of course had to be a bitch and whine so I had to hustle to the bandit camp earlier than I wanted to.

All the same I *should* have been fine. I got ambushed by three or four ettercaps and they hit my party from the rear so I wanted to quickly hustle away from them and re-position my guys to quickly take them out. Problem is I walked right into a web trap. I still should have been fine as I had a potion of freedom in my inventory but I panicked a bit and didn't remember I had it until everyone was already webbed. Such a frustrating way to die. Although even if I did use that potion on my Skald things would have been really dire for me as the rest of the party was webbed and going to die regardless and as it was an ambush zone I wouldn't have been able to retrieve the vast amounts of equipment they all would have dropped.

So honestly I was pretty hosed even if I managed to escape. I would have lost +2 longsword, ankheg plate, ring of holiness, belt of piercing, boots of avoidance, countless wands, pots, and scrolls. Gem bag, etc. Not to mention I'd have to rez everybody. It would have sucked so bad I might have just said gently caress it and restarted anyways.

As for your party, Valygar is pretty powerful. If you want to hedge your bets Keldorn is always a good add too. That dispel magic trivializes everything. Then by TOB you'll have enough breaching/high enough level casters to use your own dispel to good effect and can replace him with Sarevok. I assume you're replacing Yoshi with Imoen so between her and Aerie you should be fairly solid on mage casting. Anomen could be good too although with your cleric/range and aerie you have plenty of cleric casting already, and there would be some weapon overlap there potentially between you and Anomen.

Three Skald deaths pretty well means the death of that class for me, at least for now. Now I have to think of something interesting to try again. There is a slight part of me that wants to try something truly insane like single class kensai or monk, but I dunno that I have the stones for that. I definitely don't want to do something cookie cutter or overpowered. I've done all of those combos to death. I suppose Monk would eventually be rather powerful, but I'd have to get there first, and I'm not re-rolling hps so death would always be close. I'll think about it tomorrow when I should be doing work heh

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

A single class kensai isn't insane at all. You can get the shield amulet really early on, which also has the nice side effect of negating the hail of magic missiles dudes like NIMBUL like to throw at you. If you keep the girdle of piercing and use NImbul's boots, you have nothing to fear from missiles, either.

The trick is to use a 2-hander (personally vote swords because of spiders bane and lilarcor and its immunities in early bg2). Speed factor doesn't matter for anyone else in the game, seems like, but it matters for a kensai. If you close to melee range against some heavy hitter like an ogre or something, you will get all of your first round strikes in before it even attacks.

The belt ogre, silke, karlat, and mulahey all exploded without ever getting to roll dice.

...then I got 1-shot by greywolf, who did more damage on a crit than I thought him capable of. In any event, if I'd gotten 1 more level worth of HP, I'd have had enough to deal with the early game weakness of getting blown up by crits. Will probably try it again as my final attempt.

That does sound pretty cool. I am tempted to try it. However...

I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the Skald yet. :/. The face palm portrait seems pretty apropos for my decision to try this class a fourth time, but gently caress it I haven't gotten that far yet in bg1 with it and I want to at least get decently far before I give up on it.

This is one way or another my last go with the Skald, though. For one thing I won't beat that roll again. If this one bites it, I'll probably try a Kensai next.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Goddamn SCS makes the Bandit Camp ridiculous.

Which is another way of saying that Hulk III has gone the way of his brothers. He took even more bandits with him this time, though!

And I think I'm done iron manning it for a while.

Those of you doing tactics or SCS and ironmanning are some crazy fuckers.

Default bg isn't especially hard but even on that there's no room for error obviously in an Ironman and it's real easy to slip up or get unlucky. No way I'd try it on SCS where if you don't fight perfect you can easily lose most fights.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Norm the Skald's adventures:

Bolding charging a group of kobold archers with a commando was a bad idea. Jaheira down.

Mulahey got off a lucky rear end hold right as he got up from command and right before he died. The resulting spell incapacitated my entire front line who all got quickly killed by skeletons/kobolds. The only reason those kobolds are asleep at all in that picture is because I got crafty and looted a sleep scroll from the chest. Neera was all out of them so that was a move of pure desperation, as was meleeing those skeletons down with Imoen/Neera. With the bard song going I pulled it off, though.

Of course Imoen also bit it to the grey slimes as I was heading out the mine. Hauling out all of the important gear I could was tough, but I managed...barely. Thank goodness Ankheg plate weighs so little. So after the fiasco at the mines I decided enough was enough with Khalid and Branwen. I replaced Khalid with Minsc, but rezzed Jaheira. I also booted Branwen's corpse out. I am now planning on running:

Skald
Imoen
Minsc
Jaheira
Dynaheir
Neera

Still not completely sure about that setup. The trouble is the npcs meleers for good parties just aren't that good in bg1, and strong meleers is probably the best way to make good use of my Skald's song. I'm half tempted to drop Minsc/Dynaheir and grab Kivan/Coran for a snipe everything strategy. For now I think I'll go with Minsc/Dynaheir as I can't grab Coran until Cloakwood. So I'll probably run with those two and then maybe grab Kivan on the way to the bandit camp and then Coran just after. Having those two sitting next to my skald sniping everything would be pretty ridiculous.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Skalds are best left next to archers, actually. The range of the song isn't that much.

I'd actually recommend garrick(16 dex) to use the light Xbow of speed and have him stand next to Coran and kivan and imoen. Yeslick can keep dudes busy up front for the split second your archers need to ruin everything on the map. Easiest run you'll ever have.

Think I already told Garrick to screw off unfortunately. But yeah this does seem like the best way to go for now. In bg2 I can run with the tanks if I want as I'll have stoneskin/mirror image to stay alive while playing the song.

Gonna try to load up on archers and profit

e: gently caress that group of three dudes from amn in the cloudpeaks just ruined my poo poo. MY skald survived but literally everyone else died and I didn't manage to grab their gear. I just lost a Tonnnnnnnnnnnn of valuable loot. Ring of wizardry, ankheg plate, ring of holiness among them....

Fml. At least I didn't wipe? They're still there though and I need to find a way to kill them and now I'm going to have to purchase new gear

Grabbed Kivan and he started bitching, so I rushed to the bandit camp with him in tow. Minsc died fighting Taugosz but..

With the wand of fear and a few potions, I succeeded in clearing the rest of the camp. My party is still quite low level, with virtually none of the west or eastern zones finished. I am now going to rush to grab Coran and then clear the wilderness. I suppose I'll have to go kill a wyvern first to make sure Coran doesn't leave. I am not going to go fight Davaeorn yet, though. My party is between level 2 and 4, so that would simply be too difficult. I can handle killing a wyvern, though.

ee: Success

Didn't mess around with any of the normal cloakwood stuff. Just got Coran and rushed to wyvern caves and pulled a few out. Bam. Done. Now I can do the rest of the wilderness at my leisure

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 14, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
^^ I see your zerker isn't the most charismatic fellow. That must have been somewhat annoying bg1 prior to getting the CHa ring in bg2. One thing I'd recommend is using the gargoyle boots to pop stoneskin on your zerk/cleric before tough fights. It's like bonus hps.

Norm the Skald has cleared all of the wilderness zones and cloakwood. Skald + Coran/Kivan is death incarnate.

My standard strategy to this fight rarely changes. Potion of freedom + web spam while everyone else carves away with ranged weapons.

One of the strategies I use on bg1 mages is to stealth Coran/Kivan and equip them with arrows of biting. They pop out of stealth and bombarded this poor mage with poison arrows. Game over. Coran can also backstab and sometimes I pop a potion of str and use him to gib mages that way.

I tried the stealth archer thing on Davaeorn but foolishly forgot to have Coran/Kivan have pots of mage blocking. The resulting lightning bolt took him and Imoen out. I still recovered and won as Jaheira was buffed with anti magic pots.

The brave band enters Baldur's Gate! My Skald is at level 7 and everyone else is 6 or 7ish. I will probably do most of BG city now and then hop on over to mage island/durlag's/werewolves. Jaheira has proven a surprisingly resilient tank with full plate, piercing girdle, and bracers of dex/ring of prot +1. With my bard song going she has -8 ac. One thing that does suck is despite my Skald having a potion of genius quaffed at the time he still managed to fail to scribe stoneskin, and I don't know that another scroll of it drops anywhere in game. Not a huge deal as I don't have level 4 spells yet but I will eventually want it.

Durlag's worries me a bit but you can cheese a lot of the tougher undead spots by using scrolls of undead protection. The main fights that worry me in Durlag's are chess board and Demon Knight. Both are very easy to gently caress up. Chess board I will be sure to spam fireballs in and usually that gets that done. The Demon Knight is trickier. You can break the glass on him but I honestly think going toe to toe might be a better idea for my party. My only worry there is his power word stun...and I think he might pw: kill too? I know he also likes to spam fireballs and dispel. What I will do there is have everyone with fire resist pots ready to immediately quaff if he gets a dispel off.

Then of course there's also Aec to deal with but I should be able to easily do that by stealth sniping all his guys while everyone else waits upstairs, and then going down and finishing him off.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 16, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

There are two scrolls. One is at the end of Neeras quest. The other is at the end of shandalars island.

Chess board should be easy. Open with fireballs and also give kivan, Imoen, and coran arrows of detonation. Anything that starts to approach you gets nuked. The king will die before you ever see him.

Demon knight should be easy too. Just send someone down wearing both rings of fire resist and he'll die before he can do anything after power word stun. Yes, he will stun whoever you send to the middle, but if the skald, kivan, and coran are up above with acid arrows, dude will die in like two rounds.

Don't worry about aec. He's easy with this group. DO worry about the fact your skald can't wear a helmet, and if he doesn't have stoneskin he can eat an unlucky 1 hit backstab from the cultists. So either enter that zone with him invisible or with him stoneskinned.

Good call on the cultists. I do have mirror image but no stoneskin because I failed to scribe the scroll that I found and not sure if another drops in bg1. Someone on bgee said a scroll also drops in Shandalar's quest so I'll need to quaff every genius pot I can find to make sure I successfully scribe that one. Although I think you need level 10 for level 4 spells on a bard and not sure you can hit that in bg1..

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Oh god, Marek the Iron Throne assassin got off a confuse on my guys. I survived but my rep took a hit as Coran started machine gunning down peasants. I went from 20 to 3 in seconds.

Well..poo poo. Looks like I'm gonna have to go pay massive amounts at the temple. The good news is I'm now done with bg city and ready to proceed to TOSTC content. Hey even when you're a good child of murder sometimes good dudes die. I guess all those dudes that say Bhaal children cause death whether they want to or not were right.

e: Just donated a gently caress ton to get my rep back up to 18. What I can't figure out is how Kivan didn't lose his ranger class. My rep went from 20 to 3. I guess that wasn't enough to do it? Maybe one more peasant death would have caused it. If that's the case, I got really lucky. Either way good thing I have a gently caress load of gold.

Sorry Gamesman and 2 peasants that ate it. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time :o

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 17, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Made lots of progress this past week. I cleared all of the TOSTC content, though not without the occasional death. All of BG city except the Iron Throne is done as well. I'm pretty much ready for the end game.

Breezed through this fight easy enough. Key is positioning your party far enough away that they don't get cloud killed, then hammer with range.

One of the dopplegangers got off a confuse here that nearly wiped my party. I'm honestly amazed my Skald didn't die. Finding my way back to the surface to get everyone rezzed was difficult. I had to leave many valuable arrows behind as I couldn't carrry everybodies loot. I nearly panicked because the door near the stairs was locked and I couldn't recall how to open it. Eventually I found a lever nearby that did the trick.

Disable fireball trap, lure Ghouls into brawl, Profit.

At my signal, unleash hell. 6 fireball pots/wands off at once = gg chessboard.

I forgot to turn off party AI here and Coran and Kivan dropped stealth and started wailing on the DK despite Jaheira not being in position. He got off a fireball on those two but I popped fire resist pots on both just in time and they survived the nuke. Then Jaheira got into position and it was won in short order.

Mirror image kept Neera and my Skald from being backstabbed, but Imoen took a bad hit. Still, she survived and one cast of hopelessness later and I quickly mopped up these guys.

I cheesed the poo poo out of Aec. Basically what I did was stealth Coran to the NE then open with a salvo of arrows before the cultist lady started talking. Then to my great luck all of the cultists except one grouped up near her. Not one to miss an opportunity, I switched to arrows of detonation and managed to kill all of them in a few salvos. I then just had to stealth over and finish one more off that was still alive before buffing the party up and killing Aec. He's not that hard with full buffs and just him to fight. You just have to have dispel/pots of mirror eyes ready in case he does that ghoul spell.

Werewolf island wasn't too bad. Imoen and Kivan did manage to die, though. Kivan got held by a Vampire wolf and died before I could save him, and Imoen I tried to stealth to the top floor to grab the sword of balduran for fighting Karoug. She did manage to get it but then dropped stealth and got surrounded and killed before I could get her out of there. Still Karoug fell easily enough. Jaheira used the dagger and Coran used the sword +1 +4 vs shapeshifters. Despite neither having prof points in those weapons they were buffed enough that they got hits easy enough.

Mendas fell also to the same strategy.

And here is Norm the Skald after many adventures.

Knock on wood but there's no reason I can't make it to BG2 now. The Iron Throne fight is tough but no tougher than anything I've already handled. Plus I'll probably just pop a scroll of prot magic on Jaheira and then dominate it. Sarevok will be handled the way I always do - with judicious amounts of summons and arrows.

The Skald has proven to be a solid character. It's not the most powerful you could choose obviously but when you combine it with several archers poo poo goes down in a hurry. It also has decent defenses thanks to Mage spells. Once I get Stoneskin I should prove quite durable. My HPs aren't what they could be since I've been on core rules and not using max HPs, but I'm beefy enough to not go down like a chump I hope

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 21, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Success! Norm the Skald has navigated the treacherous waters of Baldur's Gate and is now on his way to Chateau Irenicus.

Ironling: Complete Baldur's Gate 1
Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).
Overcoming Adversity: Complete the game as a Wizard Slayer, Shapeshifter, Beastmaster, or non-Blade Bard (requires Purist).
Librarian: Find every stat tome in Baldur's Gate 1.
Trap Dodger: Complete Durlag's Tower.
Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.
Roleplayer: Do not have a good aligned character and an evil aligned character in the party at the same time (includes PC, requires purist).

This part always worries me on Ironmans. Not because I might die, but because if the two Dukes die it's game over. Fortunately a chaos and a hasted up archer death party made short work.

These chumps also bit it. I had Jaheira pop that magic prot potion that gives auto saving throws and she also used prot from fire to be immune to the arrows of detonation that archer uses. Neera hit them with a chaos and the rest of the party engaged from range. Did I mention I love chaos? Because I do.

Tamoko couldn't resist Norm's charms

I fought Sarevok the traditional coward's way. Semaj did manage to port in too but a hasted group of archers took him down before he could lift a finger to cast.

Overall I don't think anyone in my party even took a hit in the last fight.

Norm hit level 10 in the Candlekeep catacombs and finally had access to sweet sweet stoneskin. Between that and mirror image Norm should be well protected against melee damage now. Main threats in Bg2 will be - as always - casters and Dragons. Norm should be hopefully safe from the latter as I never let him go near the front lines and I'll be sure to have invis potions at the ready in case a dragon wing buffets my party away and looks like they might be aiming their breath weapon at me.

Not sure yet who I will take in Bg2. Imoen, Neera, and Jaheira for sure as they are my core members. Beyond that it's tough to say. Archers obviously go super well with my Skald so maybe...Mazzy and Keldorn? Or perhaps Mazzy and Aerie to get cleric spells. Or I could just grab Keldorn and Aerie for pure power. The only issue there would be the synergy with the Skald song. It will still help in that scenario but I'd have no dedicated archer and dedicated archers seem to be diesel with a Skald, at least in bg1 they were.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I died rather early into Bg2. I don't even know wtf killed me. I was fighting the shade lord and he killed me with....something. I couldn't see what. Possibly a chromatic orb? I don't think it was a finger of death, though it might have been.

And with that, I think I'll exit stage left for now. Don't have the energy to go through bg1 again, and I wouldn't feel satisfied starting from #2.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I lied. Going to give this another shot. I want to try a shorty race for the badass saving throws. Not sure about class. Probably something a bit more active than my Skald heh.

I'm still a bit miffed today I died like that. It just shouldn't have happened. That fight is easy as hell, I just hosed it up by focus firing the altar instead of the Shade lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Do an evil Halfling barbarian. Dual wield flails. It doesn't truly shine until late SOA, but between the human leather armor and Defender of Easthaven in the offhand your saves will be insane, HLAs negate a ton of physical damage and Flail of the ages can carry you to the end of the game as a main weapon.

Sounds tempting but why a halfling over a dwarf? They both get the same saves and dwarves get no str penalty, plus get a con bonus

e: what the hell, an evil little hobbit sounds amusing

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 2, 2015

• Locked thread