Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Okay, trying this again. Introducing Gwyn ap Nudd the Berserker (who doesn't know it yet but will be finding religion). This time around he is NOT a natural-born hero - my first roll was something like 70 points.

Difficulty is locked to Insane.

As I am terrible at remembering to take screenshots, I'm simply going to have to narrate.

One terrible summer day, Gwyn's adopted father Gorion turned Gwyn's world upside-down and fled from Candlekeep with Gwyn in tow. Shortly after leaving, they were ambushed; Gorion, knowing they were overmatched, ordered Gwyn to emulate the legend of Brave Sir Robin and run for the hills, only to be struck down himself.

The next morning, lost and alone in the wild, Gwyn was shocked to discover his sister Imoen following them. Teaming up, they began exploring the countryside, pillaging the ambush site for anything useful and taking out their frustrations on all the wildlife they could catch. Soon they came across a bizarre combo - a clearly insane mage and a halfling who looked like he'd sooner eat them than look at them. Despite an offer of assistance, our heroes decided that some help you can just live without.

Following the road markings, they headed east, only to encounter some busybody of an old man in a red robe who asked about their business and them moved on. Turning north, they finally made it to the Friendly Arm Inn. Alas, while approaching the inn, a stranger in robes attacked them, summoning a set of wavering, flickering images of himself to defend himself. Gwyn, having had the mother of all bad weeks so far, lost his cool and went utterly berserk, which is probably the only thing that saved him when the wizard's next spell sent Imoen and all the Inn's guards fleeing in terror. The images, most of which had already vanished before the mage's Horror spell struck, were quickly shattered, followed shortly by the would-be assassin's skull.

Continuing inside, Gwyn and Imoen discovered their father's friends Khalid and Jaheira waiting for them and agreed to help them discover the cause of the Iron shortage in Nashkel. Adventurers that they are, however, the group stayed in the vicinity of the Inn for a couple days, righting wrongs, recovering and returning lost treasures, and meeting and befriending the paladin Ajantis.

Eventually, however, they moved south to the town of Beregost, which was beset by its own problems. The group rescued and recruited the wild mage Neera, and were lured into a trap by the bard Garrick and the mage Silke. Refusing to act as her cat's-paws and murder innocent men, the team turned on Silke. In the ensuing melee, Khalid was struck by a lightning bolt, turning his entire nervous system into a superconductor and providing all of the witnesses with a fine light show.

After resting and re-outfiting, a more somber group continued southward, eventually reaching the town of Nashkel, where the mayor of the town himself asked them to investigate the nearby iron mines. Our fearless adventurers were also approached by a hulking Rashemani named Minsc, who begged their help in rescuing his witch from a gnoll stronghold far to the west; a quest to which the team readily agreed.

Over the next several days, our rag-tag band of heroes fought their way to the gnoll stronghold, encountering gnolls, gibberlings, xvarts, loggers, and a loving DEMON looking for his puppy on the way. Eventually, however, Gwyn saw the gnolls' fortress in the mists ahead. First, the team cleared out a Xvart village at the base of the fortress, incidentally discovering a magical Tome that taught Gwyn to be slightly less rude to people, improving his charisma. Then, true adventurers they were, the team assaulted the stronghold. Gnolls and gnoll elites fell before them like wheat to a scythe, until finally the gnoll champion himself lay dead at Gwyn's feet. In the pit guarded by the champion was Dynaheir herself, who was so delirious with joy upon being rescued that she immediately ran off to celebrate - and promptly got rendered down into soup stock by one remaining gnoll squad in the fortress. Minsc was inconsolable, but agreed it was best to stay with the team.

Wanderlust overcame our intrepid band, and they continued exploring. Alas, Gwyn and his friends encountered a human bandit working with hobgoblin elite archers. As our hero would not hand over his cash, a melee ensued, and one of those hobgoblins must have been using enchanted arrows, as halfway through the fight, Jaheira took one hit to the side, and then almost immediately afterward, a second arrow struck and caused her to explode into tiny, bloody chunks. (Ed: How hard do those fuckers HIT?!?!?) Mourning the loss of their friend, Gwyn and company returned to Nashkel.

To take their mind off their pain, the team decided to travel to the carnival just east of the town. Over the course of the next day, they slaughtered a rampaging exploding ogre, rescued a woman from an irate mage, and freed a cleric of Tempus from stone. This cleric, Branwen by name, joined the adventuring party out of gratitude.

The thought of the iron shortage, however, had lain heavily on Gwyn's mind, and too much time had been wasted. It was time to investigate the mines.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Gwyn ap Nudd the Berserker update time!

I finally got time to buckle down and get back to this this weekend and today. As usual, I was really bad about taking screenshots, but basically Gwyn made a nuisance of himself around Baldur's Gate, investigated the Seven Suns and the Iron Throne, helped the folks at Ulgoth's Beard, Exterminated two tribes of Werewolves living on an island, retrieved a cloak from a mage dungeon, cleared all levels of Durlag's Tower, and saved the realms from a summoned demon. That done, he traveled back to the Gate, chased the Iron Throne to Candlekeep, got arrested for killing the Throne's leaders, escaped, and returned to Baldur's Gate just in time to rescue the duke and interrupt Sarevok's election as the new Duke. After chasing him through the Warrens, our heros located and entered the Undercity.

While scouting ahead invisibly, Imoen spotted an enemy adventuring group. I don't have a photo of the encounter, because I cheesed it with a pair of Cloudkills.

Continuing onward, we talked Tamoko out of throwing her life away, and finally reached the Temble of Bhall.

Once prepared, our intrepid heroes entered the temple of the fallen diety.

Inching forward, they located and engaged Sarevok, pulling him out with the usual paired cloudkills. His mage backup managed to get off a confusion, however, disabling half the team.

In the end, however, Gwyn's skill with the warhammer, Branwen's healing, and Kivan's outstanding archery were enough to put down the would-be Lord of Murder and save the Sword Coast. I'll be starting BG2 sometime this week.

Honors Won:
Ironling

Purist

Double Damage

Librarian

Trap Dodger

Honorable Trader

Battlemaster

Roleplayer

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

So while I haven't been posting, over the past couple weeks I managed to push Gwyn ap Nudd the Berserker/Cleric through Shadows of Amn (Extended Edition).

First off, this is him at the start:

Meeting Yoshimo to escape from Irenicus' Dungeon:

The group makes it out, only to be ambushed by Irenicus and have Imoen taken.

I got really bad for a while about screenshots, so I don't have any for Umbar Hills, the Trademeet quests, or the like, but I do have *SOME* highlights:

Chasing the skin dancer - the ambush downstairs was a bit harder than I'd planned for.

We stumbled into and took out the Guarded Compound. As I'm playing on Insane, I cheesed it every way I could, including luring half of them downstairs to fight separately first.

The destruction of Firkraag:

Completely accidentally stumbled into the Twisted Rune at 13-14, but through creative cheese and careful luring (and a lucky nuke from Azuredge taking out the lich early), we managed to take them out:

After taking out Bodhi and upgrading the Mace of Disruption, we went Lich Hunting, eventually culminating in the death of Kangaxx. No scrolls were involved, just a berserk F/C using the Mace of Disruption + 2, backed by Mazzie, who I had throwing Azuredge rather than using her bow. End result:

Afterward, we cleared out the Red Wizards after they finally managed to piss off Neera. Toward the end of the fight, they managed to confuse Gwyn, who did his level best to kill the rest of the party. Those three nearly dead? Yeah, that was my PC. I don't know how I managed to not have someone die.

We eventually went to Spellhold and cleared it...

Before sailing away. I cleared the Sahuagin city, then did a general sweep-and-clear of the Underdark and the three neighboring cities before doing the Ust'Natha quests. I thought I had saved a shot of the betrayal, but apparently I didn't.

For one of the achievements:

We stormed Sul'danesselar, taking out the black dragon after buffing to the gills and abusing Neera, time stop, and improved alacrity:

Before doing the same to Irenicus:

And again in Hell:

After dinner, I'll start ToB up.

Honors

From Baldur's Gate: Ironling, Purist, Double Damage, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, Role Player

New For Shadows of Amn

Ironman: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 (requires Ironling)

Purist: Do not use any mods that add/modify content (except Tutu, Ascension, SCS, or Tactics), do not create extra characters for your party, do not modify existing NPCs (convenience mods like infinite stacks ok).

Double Damage: Complete the game on the highest difficulty.

Honorable Trader: Do not steal any wares from merchants.

Gaxkang's a Wuss: Kill Kangaxx.

Legendary Arms: Acquire the Equalizer, Crom Faeyr, The Wave, The Silver Sword, and the Short Bow of Gesen.

Roleplayer: Do not have a good aligned character and an evil aligned character in the party at the same time (includes PC, requires purist).

Leader of the Underdogs: Complete Baldur's Gate 2 or Throne of Bhaal with a full party of six without using Aerie, Keldorn, Edwin, or Haer'Dalis. {requires purist).

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 16, 2015

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

And I just noticed it's been a couple weeks now since Koskinator updated the thread. Did we lose another OP?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

^^ I see your zerker isn't the most charismatic fellow. That must have been somewhat annoying bg1 prior to getting the CHa ring in bg2. One thing I'd recommend is using the gargoyle boots to pop stoneskin on your zerk/cleric before tough fights. It's like bonus hps.

Not at all. You get Imoen right off the bat, and she has a 16 Charisma, and I picked up Ajantis and his 17 Charisma as soon as I could, and I borrowed Garrick long enough to pickpocket off of Algernon, so my party leader was running around with 19 CHA most of the time. There are few conversations that HAVE to be with your protagonist and are also charisma-based, and party morale just uses the charisma of the leader.

If I recall correctly, I used the gargoyle boots on Anomen until he had the 18 dex gauntlets. They only give 2 skins, and my PC by that point had the lowest AC on the team. Also, my main reason for going zerk was so I can make him immune to Imprisonment at will. (Immunity to confusion was nice early, but is more than covered from about 1/3 of the way in on due to having two clerics capable of casting three Chaotic Commands each.)

Improved Haste, Berserk, Righteous Magic, Hammer of Thunderbolts/Crom Faeyr, and 5 points in warhammers make for a pretty impressive wrecking machine.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

What I can't figure out is how Kivan didn't lose his ranger class. My rep went from 20 to 3. I guess that wasn't enough to do it?

PC Rangers and paladins fall if you go below 6 rep. NPC rangers and paladins won't fall; they'll just leave you after a short time instead if your rep gets too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Comstar posted:

I think I'll duel-class Imoen at level 6, but I don't know if I want to duel-class to Figher/Thief or Mage/Thief.

Unless you've used *Keeper to modify her stats, it's going to be mage/thief. She's 8 points shy of having enough strength to dual into a fighter.

• Locked thread